PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a lot that my 1 y/o can do?

rt207
09-10-2007, 09:44 AM
While sitting here thinking about my trip coming in January, it's difficult to picture the things my son will enjoy (he will be 1 y/o in January) because I've never looked at it from this point of view before. I've never been with a small child, so it's a whole new perspective and a whole new focus.

Who has taken a child this age and did he/she have fun? Unless there is a height restriction on something, he can go on it with us? Any recommendations on what not to miss for this age?

illini
09-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Yep, he can do anything without a height restriction. You'll find tons for him to do.

As to what's a not miss, there's a huge variation from child to child. When we took my DD at 11.5 months, she loved EVERYTHING. Peter Pan, Pooh, IASW, HM, Pirates, etc, etc. She also loved character meals. We have the best pictures of her sucking on Pooh's nose (I try not to think of just how gross that is!), and Minnie feeding her. Some little ones, though, would be terrified by that. You'll just have to gauge his reaction and let him lead you. No matter his likes/dislikes, though, there will be plenty to do that he loves.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
He will really enjoy himself at that age! He will be in that "wow, look, colors, lights, music!!" stage... He also will more than likely not in the "afraid" stage and wont be scared.... I would go on things that are bright and colorful with singing and dancing. Parades, Small World, Festive of the Lion King, Nemo, Pooh, Peter Pan... You will have a great time!! :mickey:

gtpooh
09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I think it really depends on the child. We took our DS when he was 11 months old to DLR, and will be taking him to WDW in November when he will be 15 months old.

Out DS was pretty neutral on many of the rides at DL, but we were able to take him on tons of things without much of a problem (he wasn't scared at the Haunted Mansion, for example). He probably liked seeing the characters the most, but also did well on rides like Pooh. I think at times it was a bit overwhelming for him, but it was more positive than negative overall. There is so much to take in, and at this age, they don't really know what's going on. I'm glad we had a stroller that reclined so he could take naps! He loved his first cotton candy at Main Street! Have fun and let me know if you have any more questions as we just did this trip 2 months ago!

Madame Leona
09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
We took ds at 10 months and 15 months. He had a really good time. He loves the parades and looking at the characters but is a little nervous when some approached him. He loves rides. He kept pointing to splash mountain then at himself like "I could go on that." He didn't really care for the shows though. I believe Country Bears was the only exception. We had to leave the longer ones before the end. It was just too long to hold his attention.

GrmGrninGost
09-10-2007, 07:40 PM
We took our DS at 15 months and he had a ball! He absolutely loved the characters! And, there's plenty of rides he can go on! Don't miss Dumbo, Small World, Pooh, Carousel, TTA, Mickey's Philharmagic and...well you get the idea! :mickey: Enjoy! Take plenty of pictures!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-10-2007, 08:25 PM
We just got back from a trip with our 3 year old and 8 month old. The 8 month old loved going on everything... Buzz actually seemed to be her favorite as she loved seeing all the lights and and the bright digital numbers lighting up as the 3 year old and I tried to gain points shootng the Z's. She actually did better with the characters at the meals, and the meet and greets than the 3 year old... The only things we didnt take her on were those things with height restrictions, Goofy's Barnstormer, the Tea cups and the race cars... which thrilled the 3 year old that she was such a big girl and could go on those things with out the "Baby."

SoaringEpcot
09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
We took DS at 14 months, he went on everything listed already and his eyes were always wide open. He also loved the charcaters, we have some great pictures from the breakfast at Restrauntasouas in Animal Kingdom. The only thing that bothered him was the fireworks, he did not care from them one bit.

rt207
09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank-you for your responses. I've never been so nervous about a trip and excited at the same time.

SAHDad
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
When we first took our son, he was about 9 months old. He loved most of the rides he could go on, though he did fall asleep on Pirates and Kilimanjaro. He also loved the various characters; possibly because he had several stuffed Disney characters that were considerably larger than he was.

When he was 2, however, a lot of that changed. He still fell asleep on Kilimanjaro, but dark rides scared him. He still loved the characters though, and is talking every day about how he is getting to see Cinderella soon. (The li'l guy has quite a crush on her.)

pixiesmimi
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
We took our DGD when she was 6 months and again at 18 mo. She loved everything and did very well both times. She loved the characters and did better than her older sister with them. Some dark rides she fell asleep in and some (Mermaid) she stood up on my lap and watched every bit of. I don't think she was afraid of anything, even the fireworks.

We took our DGS this June at age 1 and he loved everything also. He really got into the characters at the meals and photo shoots. He pinched Mickey's nose. :) You really have to wonder what they think of those big characters. I did sit outside with both of them sometimes if the others wanted to ride a ride that they couldn't go on. DGS loved the TTD and Buzz. He even tried to shoot the guns on Buzz.

I think you will have a good time if you just take it easy and do it slow.

mook3y
09-15-2007, 01:13 AM
IMHO, it really does not matter too much what your son thinks about the trip.... The memories you are going to have of you with your son at this age are going to be priceless.

:thumbsup:

Just make sure you bring a camera or video camera ;)

disney100%
09-15-2007, 12:41 PM
We took my son when he was 14 months. He loved the character meals, especially Chip, Dale and Goofy at Cape May Cafe. We were concerned he may be afraid of the characters, but he just loved them. He absolutely loved getting his picture taken with Buzz and Woody at Al's Toy Barn. We took our trip at a much slower pace than usual, but we had the time of our lives. We went at Joey's pace and took a midday break everyday for him to nap or use the pool. We had debated taking him so young, but we are so happy we did. I have been 10 times and it was one of the best trips we have ever had!