PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Barber

Melanie
09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Just wondering what my fellow INTERCOTees think about Tiki's recent outspokeness on his days with the Giants.

I'm impartial since I'm not a Giants fan (couldn't care one way or the other, unless they are playing the Panthers ;) ), but I've always liked Tiki on the field and off.

Now I'm thinking he should hush and actually should have kept his mouth shut from the beginning. Seems the ones he's targeted are taking the high road and keeping their thoughts to themselves.

What do you guys think? Tiki's ego out of control?

Hammer
09-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Mel, you knew I would post in this thread ;) ! Now personally, I've never been a Tiki fan, but am a huge fan of his twin, Ronde. I most definitely think Tiki's ego has gone out of control. Taking shots at your quarterback and coach through your book is pretty low.

Here's hoping Ronde stays the nicer twin :) .

kakn7294
09-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Seems as if that's the thing now, retire and bash your old teammates and coaches. Jerome Bettis is doing the same thing. I think they should all keep their mouths shut. It really just makes them look bad in the end.

Anborn
09-08-2007, 12:21 AM
isn't tiki getting ready to release a book? ruffling feathers before a book release == more book sales, as more people are curious or have a reason to buy.

Epc0tphr34k
09-08-2007, 12:26 AM
if he were calling out people that were performing then yes he should keep his mouth shut. however i have the exact same opinions of both tom coughlin and eli

i think coughlin is a joke and he is my least favorite coach in the nfl.

at this point however tiki is an analyst with inside information so really he is just doing his job. he's supposed to be critical and he just happens to have seen these weaknesses close up....but real he isn't saying anything that most die hard football fans aren't seeing anyway

Scar
09-08-2007, 12:54 PM
First, as big of a Baseball and Football fan as I am, I’ve never read a sports book in my life and I probably never will. I’ve also never watched Sports Center or any other show like that. So I never had any intention of reading Tiki’s book, and I haven’t followed everything he has said.

But, from what I have heard, the only thing I have a problem with is when he said “Eli was almost comical in the huddle.” I don’t believe I have ever heard a former player / analyst say something derogatory (even if it is true) about a former teammate about something said in private. That was out of bounds.

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I used to like Tiki.... But, he is now proving to be an ego maniac.... He totally lost my respect... And I hope he never makes the Hall of Fame... Maybe he should look back at the tapes of his early career and how much of a loser he was under Fassel.. How he used to fumble all the time.. How he was about to be run out of town by Giants fans who cringed every time the ball was handed off to Mr. Butter Fingers..... I am not a Coughlin fan, but, the man helped Tiki get is career on track... If it wasn't for Coughlin, Tiki would have been out of football a long time ago... Who wants a running back who couldn't hold onto the ball??

Ian
09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I think Tiki Barber (both Barbers, actually) was one of the most overrated players in the NFL. He had like two good seasons at the end of his career and all of a sudden everyone is talking HoF. Please ...

And I agree with DF2002 ... the guy was a flat out disaster before Coughlin arrived. If I was Tiki I'd shut my mouth and thank God he saved my career.

Besides, I subscribe to the idea that you never throw your teammates or your coach under the bus, even after you're gone.

Of course, I hate the stinkin' Giants, I'm thrilled to see them in turmoil, and I agree with everything Tiki said, but you still don't say it in public. ;)

Scar
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
He had like two good seasons at the end of his career and all of a sudden everyone is talking HoF.I agree he is not a Hall of Famer, but that's not fair. He had five good seasons including two boarderline great seasons.

Ian
09-11-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree he is not a Hall of Famer, but that's not fair. He had five good seasons including two boarderline great seasons.Until Coughlin showed up he fumbled far too much to have anything approximating a good season.

Of course, that's the biased opinion of an Eagles fan who has never seen anyone (other than Lawrence Taylor) wearing a Giants uniform that he was willing to give props to. ;)

By the way ... sweet franchise you got goin' on up there right now! Lame duck coach ... no Eli ... no Brandon Jacobs ... no Osi Umenyiora ... I'm lovin' it!

DizneyFreak2002
09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Until Coughlin showed up he fumbled far too much to have anything approximating a good season.

Of course, that's the biased opinion of an Eagles fan who has never seen anyone (other than Lawrence Taylor) wearing a Giants uniform that he was willing to give props to. ;)

By the way ... sweet franchise you got goin' on up there right now! Lame duck coach ... no Eli ... no Brandon Jacobs ... no Osi Umenyiora ... I'm lovin' it!

Tiki owes his career to Coughlin.... If it weren't for him, we woudl have booed Tiki out of New Jersey... Eli is OK and will be back... Ward filled in nicely for Jacobs, and will suit them just fine for the 5 weeks jacobs is out.. And if winds up being the whole season, then I feel comfy with Ward... But, worry about your Eagles since they seem to have a case of the butter fingers... LOL.. losing to a bad Green Bay team??? Not a good way to start.... (just poking some fun at an Eagles fan... nothing meant to be offensive there Ian).... :)

Ian
09-12-2007, 07:10 AM
No offense, taken! Chirping is part of sports ;)

And yes ... you're correct ... I'm concerned about our performance against Green Bay. I think Reid is too (understandably) distracted by what's going on with his sons to keep his head in the game.

Melanie
09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I think Reid is too (understandably) distracted by what's going on with his sons to keep his head in the game.

How could he not be?

Ian
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I know, Mel.

I almost wish he'd just take a leave of absence and let Marty run the team. He clearly hasn't been focused. The fact that he cut our only kick returner with no viable backup proves that.

As a parent, I feel so bad for him, but as a far I really wouldn't mind him stepping away for awhile.

The thing is ... his team's have a lack of discipline, too. It almost makes you wonder if he has a hard time disciplining people he's close to.

DizneyFreak2002
09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm not an Eagles fan but you do have to feel bad for Reid.... or any parent that has to go through what he is going through with his son....

Melanie
09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
what he is going through with his son....

Sons. Two.

krorx
09-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I am a lifelong Redskin fan who has to revel in finally winning a game in Philly. That being said, I would never wish what is happening to Andy Reid on anyone. He must be heartbroken.
:( Regarding Tiki and Ronde, they went to school here in Charlottesville and were well regarded as fine young men. But I have to agree--don't badmouth the team/and or coach that made you.

Ian
09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I am a lifelong Redskin fan who has to revel in finally winning a game in Philly.Yes thank you for rubbing that in, I appreciate it. ;)

sportsguy2315
09-21-2007, 05:20 PM
While I was in the Cayman Islands last November, we got the New York TV stations at our hotel, giving me a front row seat to the Giants soap opera. I'm not a huge Eli or Tiki fan, but keep in mind that we are dealing with the New York media, often known for blasting teams that don't win championships. Last year, the Jets made the playoffs while the Giants stayed home, and the Jets were coached by the Mangenius and getting all the positive press. Eventually I believe that the media pressure cracked on the Giants, and Tiki realized that he was injured and probably didn't have a shot at a starting job, retires, and becomes a piece of the media puzzle. However, this gives Tiki no right whatsoever to sling his ex-teammates. As for Eli, while he may carry the Manning name, he has yet to prove to me that he's a legit QB. Also keep in mind that if he had not asked for a trade on draft day, he would be leading the high powered offense of the San Diego Chargers, so it was his choice to get into the Giants maelstrom.

Scar
09-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Last year, the Jets made the playoffs while the Giants stayed home, ...Giants made the playoffs last year. :confused:

Didn't deserve to, but, they made it.

Ian
09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Giants made the playoffs last year. :confused:

Didn't deserve to, but, they made it.I can vouch for that, because the Eagles knocked 'em out in the first round. :D

I always remember whenever the Eagles beat the Giants. It's actually taking up a lot of space in my brain, since it happens so frequently. ;)

kakn7294
09-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I always remember whenever the Eagles beat the Giants. It's actually taking up a lot of space in my brain, since it happens so frequently. ;)
Oh, THAT explains alot, Ian! :dizzy:

Scar
09-23-2007, 11:22 AM
I always remember whenever the Eagles beat the Giants. It's actually taking up a lot of space in my brain, since it happens so frequently. ;)So I guess your brain was a little empty from '97 -'00 when we went 9-0 against you. ;)

Ian
09-23-2007, 12:44 PM
So I guess your brain was a little empty from '97 -'00 when we went 9-0 against you. ;)I have no recollection of that event.