PDA

View Full Version : Please someone! Help me understand!

mickey&missy
09-07-2007, 01:22 PM
The premise of this thread is in another thread I just read.

Why is it that people come here looking start a debate and get people angry? I mean really! What's the point?

Most of us, the vast majority of us, come here the same reasons. Our love of Disney and to share and gain knowledge of the topic.

Why do people start issues about things they know are going to enrage people?! I've "heard" it said many time that this board is the nicest. I've lurked on the other board and its true. They get nasty when someone says they didn't care for the soup at Le Cellier.

But, I really just don't get it. Truthfully, I'm probably a fool for even reading the threads. Because then I find myself annoyed and feel the need to tell the person that we should judge others. I just promised myself I will never ever again respond to a post like these! It just eggs the op on! Guys, we shouldn't judge people who put their 4 year in a stroller, we shouldn't judge the people who bring a small child to WDW, we shouldn't judge the peole scooting around in an EVC, WE JUST SHOULDN'T JUDGE! If we aren't them we don't know their situation!

I just don't understand why people start these threads! Are the sitting at home laughing an evil laugh as they write because they know their about to anger people?!

DisneyCouture
09-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Melissa I couldn't agree with you more, but there is difference btwn blowing off steam and being judgmental of others. Some ppl word things wrong and some are just plain rude. I understand what you are saying.

thrillme
09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
It's quite possibly that they just need to blow of steam about something that's bothering them.

For right or wrong some people don't have a friendly ear to listen.

Disney Doll
09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I always enjoy a friendly debate and I find it interesting to see how others think. The trouble is that some people have a tough time being friendly. Part of it could be the difficulty of communicating online or part of it could be that some people are just not friendly. I try not to let it get to me. I can never be angry when posting about my happy place. :mickey:

snifflesmcg
09-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I understand completely why this happens. It's not about "judging others" but most of the time it comes from personal experience. Alot of times the actions of others ruins experiences for others and coming on here and expressing their feelings does help and maybe sheds some light about the subject to others that maybe wouldn't have had a clue. I've come under fire and I've also been the one who did the firing.

I would never debate anyone who didn't care for soup at Le Cellier because that is their issue not mine. But there are instances where, if I think something isn't fair, someone is trying to cheat the system or I think they may be doing something potentially harmful, I'm going to speak up about it.

As others have said in other posts "We live in a ME FIRST world". Alot of times this plays out even in the Happiest Place on Earth.

Just my :twocents:

merlinmagic4
09-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm right with you. I often reply to such posts saying we have no right to judge others. You are absolutely right that we shouldn't respond but I usually do anyway :blush: I find people's lack of tolerance for things like children, ECVs, etc. to be sad. I don't know how people can assume they know everything about a person/child/family in the very short time that they see them at WDW. I just don't get it either. I try to spend my vacation noticing all the GOOD things that are happening and I try really hard not to dwell on the negative.

Marilyn Michetti
09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh, don't let it get to you. The OP probably was in MK on the 4th of July, and got whapped in the back of the legs about a bazillion times. My mouth dropped open when I read that post also, and you just wrote what most of us were thinking. It sounded like my Aunt Ida could have written it, but she's dead, so someone else, having a BAD day wrote it for her.

There will always be unhappy grumps in the world, and Disney is no exception. Intercot lets all of us speak. They have a line that can't be crossed, or the moderator wouldn't have allowed the post. I hope it doesn't get ugly, but the OP will probably get some "heat".

You and I will have a good day if we don't let it bother us. You said what we are all thinking right now, and you said it well.:thumbsup:

PirateLover
09-07-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't mind when people bring up these topics and have civil conversations, which used to be what happened around here. However there have been quite a few threads recently that have really stuck out to me as being un-Intercot like. And I have to say that 8 out of 10 times the OP asks an innocent question or justs wants to vent about something, and all the sudden someone is jumping down their throat. I find it disheartening. I sometimes do try to respond to these threads but I usually end up being attacked or my point is just ignored. I still think Intercot is an amazing place and most posters are amazingly considerate and helpful, but it does bother me to see hostility in responses (and original posts as well)! The main reason I joined this board and began posting was because I wasn't afraid to post. But I've definitely seen some posts lately that would possibly scare me away if I was new to the boards.

carley
09-07-2007, 05:57 PM
i joined not long ago to Intercot and after reading alot of posts by others regarding certain topics i find myself not posting or asking any questions i would love to have the answers to . Reason.... hate to upset people and dont want people makeing me feel stupid or ignorant for not knowing.... so most of my posts now are wishing people good vacations and what i feel is a SAFE question. in the mean time i enjoy the info i find here and hopefully everyone else keeps asking the right questions

RenDuran
09-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Sometimes it's hard to get your point across in words....Someone may not read it the same way it was intended to be taken. And then again, some people can be more aggressive in debating subjects on here, because we're all fairly invisible.

I don't know what posts you're all talking about being so judgmental....I tend to just skip around on the threads until I find something that sounds interesting enough to read. Obviously this was one that interested me!

pjbs35a
09-07-2007, 08:46 PM
i joined not long ago to Intercot and after reading a lot of posts by others regarding certain topics i find myself not posting or asking any questions i would love to have the answers to . Reason.... hate to upset people and don't want people making me feel stupid or ignorant for not knowing.... so most of my posts now are wishing people good vacations and what i feel is a SAFE question. in the mean time i enjoy the info i find here and hopefully everyone else keeps asking the right questions

INTERCOT was designed to help answer questions, make friends, and to prove that there is a website where people can come and feel comfortable and not fear being intimidated by other posters. INTERCOT Moderators are here to make sure threads don't take the wrong path. If you feel you are being treated in an "unINTERCOT" manner, email a Moderator. We can't be all places at all times, but I can assure you that the INTERCOT Terms of Service will be adhered to.

Being Disney Fanatics we all want to share the information we have gathered over the years and inquire about the new stuff.

Don't be bashful. Ask away! :mickey:

INTERCOT Discussion Boards Terms Of Service
aka. Rules, Regulations & Policies Registration to this forum is free! By completing the signup process on the INTERCOT Discussion Boards, you agreed to abide by our rules below. Failure to abide by the rules and the enforcement of the rules by INTERCOT's Moderator's will lead to suspension of and possible immediate termination of your account.

By going thru the signup process on the INTERCOT Discussion Boards, you agreed to abide by our rules below. Failure to abide by the rules and the enforcement of the rules by INTERCOT's Moderator's will lead to suspension of and possible immediate termination of your account. Considering the real-time nature of the INTERCOT Discussion Board, it is impossible for INTERCOT to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of INTERCOT or Levelbest Communications (INTERCOT's parent company). Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email at [email protected]. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Discussion Board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violates any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this Bulletin Board. This Discussion Board does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages. INTERCOT reserves the right to DELETE ANY MESSAGE AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. We also reserve the right to TERMINATE ANY ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON WE DEEM NECESSARY. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless INTERCOT, Levelbest Communications, Infopop, Inc. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We at INTERCOT also reserve the right to reveal your identity (including whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. Please note that chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations are inappropriate on this Discussion Board. INTERCOT also does not allow promotion of other websites on our boards including advertisements, for sale / for rent posts, links or blatant promotion. Repeated/excessive posting of the same URL to the boards is also not permitted. Self-promotion of websites is not permitted. Web site addresses and/or email addresses are NOT permitted in your signature file (should you choose to use one). You may at your option place a link to your personal website or your email address in your personal profile provided (as with our board policy) that it is not abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violates any law. Any of the listed violations may lead to your post being deleted entirely and/or your being suspended from use of the boards. We do not permit arguing/flaming users on our boards. Any posts of an argumentative or sarcastic nature are subject to immediate removal from our boards as the Board Moderators see fit. We ask that you PLEASE review the topic you are posting to in order to make sure it will be added to the most relevant Forum (ex. Posting a trip report to the Theme Park boards instead of the Trip Reports board. Not only is it confusing but also it will lead to you receiving fewer responses than you might expect. Moderators reserve the right to move topics at any time to a more appropriate Forum. By agreeing to this Terms of Service, you hereby agree that INTERCOT and it's affiliated websites may re-publish and/or reproduce any of the information you post on the boards without prior notice. All material submitted and published on INTERCOT becomes the sole property of and copyright of Levelbest Communications. Upon written request Levelbest Communications may authorize the original author, and the original author only, the right to publish any material elsewhere. INTERCOT does not cancel discussion board accounts, delete accounts, or delete posts from users who wish to stop posting or who have been banned from the site. Lastly, we do not promote "cheating the system". Any post discussing how to get around the rules or posting of private discount codes will immediately be deleted and the account temporarily suspended until which time a moderator can contact the offending member. INTERCOT may change these rules and regulations at any time as we see fit for any reason we deem necessary. A current version of the rules and regulations of the INTERCOT Discussion Boards are available upon written request to [email protected]. We are all here to have fun. Please be considerate and respectful of your fellow INTERCOT Members and THINK BEFORE YOU POST. Should you have any questions about our policies or procedures, please contact [email protected]. By clicking on the "I agree"checkbox and pressing the register button below, your registration you certify that you are at least 13 years of age or older and agree to the terms of service listed here.

mickey&missy
09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Funny thing, the thread that prompt me to write this had been removed for the board.

Thank you Intercot Moderators!!

minnie1956
09-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I think EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, viewpoint or feelings. As long as they aren't abusive, etc. Intercot is a great place there has been a lot of vigorous, healthy debate here.
Cripes, the reusable mug threads are enough to rile anyone. That being said, I don't mind healthy, open debate, discussions or general venting. AS LONG AS WE DON'T GET PERSONAL IN ATTACKS! It takes a lot of us to make the world go around. We all think and feel different. Please continue to post, just like on the playground, if someone gets out of hand, we can handle 'em. If it gets obnoxious the mods will take 'em down! :thumbsup:

murphy1
09-08-2007, 10:50 AM
That is called being a troll, just ignore it. We have them on another board I am on (non-Disney one) and I just ignore it. Like others said, the mods are great here about handling things.

I'm laughing about the no small kids at Disney, who do they think Walt invented MK for in the first place??

minnie1956
09-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Amen!
Still, it cracks me up how many people want romance there too. I'm sorry, I do not look to disney world for romance. Fun, yes. Great family time? Yes! Good food? yes! Fireworks, parades? Yes. Romance? No.
But, that being said.. to each his own. We all look for different things on vacation, and I say Bless you for going for it!!!

Mickey'sGirl
09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry, I do not look to disney world for romance. Romance? No.Ahhhh you have much to learn grasshopper! You must not have ever had the opportunity to share a cheeseburger at Cosmic Rays whilst being serenaded by Sonny Eclipse. :cloud9: Go ahead! Give it a try! :thumbsup:

pogo
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Amen!
Still, it cracks me up how many people want romance there too. I'm sorry, I do not look to disney world for romance. Fun, yes. Great family time? Yes! Good food? yes! Fireworks, parades? Yes. Romance? No.
Have you ever tried a late night carraige ride at POR, sharing a bottle of fine wine with your one true love ? I have, and it was special. Very romantic. :hug: Or stealing a kiss while on the Jungle Cruise ? :cloud9:

Yes...... you have much to learn. :D

( This post was not meant to degrade or put down anyone. It was meant to show that people can have a difference of opinion with out being destructive. ):thumbsup:

Intercot is the best Disney website !

Marker
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Very interesting thread. I must say, for me, it's not always the debates, and differences of opinions, as long as they avoid turning them into personal attacks. Heaven knows I've been involved in one or two vigorous debates on here.

What sometimes gets me is the negativity. No, we don't have to love everything about WDW, but sometimes, at least to me, it just seems like some folks are looking for things to dislike. Which then often leads to disagreements, but they're not based so much on personal opinion or logic, they seem based on a desire to gripe about something, anything.

I know there have been times that I just quit reading for a while simply because I tire of the negative attitudes. I don't recall feeling that way back when I first joined.

Someone stated the feeling that we have become a "me first" society, sometimes I think it's worse than that, I think we're approaching a "me only" society. I hope I'm wrong.

minnie1956
09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Have you ever tried a late night carraige ride at POR, sharing a bottle of fine wine with your one true love ? I have, and it was special. Very romantic. :hug: Or stealing a kiss while on the Jungle Cruise ? :cloud9:

Yes...... you have much to learn. :D

( This post was not meant to degrade or put down anyone. It was meant to show that people can have a difference of opinion with out being destructive. ):thumbsup:

Intercot is the best Disney website !

If you think it's hard to find romance w/ little ones hanging around. Try it with a 15 and 17 year old teen age girl. You hear "yuk" or don't think you're ditching us, and romance is gone.
sighhhh!!! This has been a great thread!:mickey:

robyn221
09-10-2007, 11:22 PM
If you think it's hard to find romance w/ little ones hanging around. Try it with a 15 and 17 year old teen age girl. You hear "yuk" or don't think you're ditching us, and romance is gone.
mickey:

Yeah, but isn't being able to embarass them in public part of the fun of having teenagers?;)

Robyn

minnie1956
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Actually, yes, the look on their face....
Priceless!!:blush:

d_m_n_n
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
i joined not long ago to Intercot and after reading alot of posts by others regarding certain topics i find myself not posting or asking any questions i would love to have the answers to . Reason.... hate to upset people and dont want people makeing me feel stupid or ignorant for not knowing.... so most of my posts now are wishing people good vacations and what i feel is a SAFE question. in the mean time i enjoy the info i find here and hopefully everyone else keeps asking the right questions

This makes me so sad to hear. I know I've asked my fair share of questions others thought were silly, but if I needed to know, I needed to know! :mickey: If you still feel that way in the future, PM me and I'll ask the question for you!!! :D