PDA

View Full Version : What brand/type of monopod or tabletop tripod do you use?

IloveDisney71
09-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I love to take pictures but I'm just an amateur. I want to take some night photos and Wishes photos and know I will need something to keep my digital and/or Minolta 35 mm cameras steady to get good, clear shots. I know I want a monopod and a "tabletop" tripod that will accomodate both cameras and I would like both the mono and table top to offer the "swivel" options so I don't have to do a lot of repositioning of the whole monopod or tripod. I already have a nice full-size tri-pod, but I thought a mono. and would be easier to carry around. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :photo:

tundramom
09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I bought a Sunpak Ezee Pod. Collapses down to 26", extends to close to 6', has a built in level, shoulder carry strap, 3 seperate swivel adjustments, and my personal favorite a "hot shoe" type set up: it comes with 2 plates that screw into the base of your camera(s) then you clip them in/out of the monopod. I just leave one attached to the camera at all times so I can clip it onto the monopod at the drop of a hat. BTW I am an amateur,but my night shots have turned out awesome since I started using this. Hope this helps:mickey:

Altair
09-06-2007, 08:18 PM
it comes with 2 plates that screw into the base of your camera(s) then you clip them in/out of the monopod. I just leave one attached to the camera at all times so I can clip it onto the monopod at the drop of a hat.

That's called a "quick release".;)

I have a Bogen monopod and tripod. Bogen is known as Manfrotto to the rest of the world.:confused:

AVITWeb
09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I too have a Manfrotto monopod and it was definitely worth the price I paid this time last year...it was und $50 at the time and it did an excellent job! Highly recommended.

alongfortheride
09-07-2007, 12:39 AM
I use Bogen/Manfrotto as well with my dSLR gear. However, if your main intent is to capture fireworks shots, a monopod is really going to be pretty useless. You're going to want to be in the 3-10second exposure range for good shots, and it is VERY difficult to hold a camera even remotely steady for that long...even on a monopod. I use a tripod and cable release for my fireworks shots.

Mufasa
09-07-2007, 02:01 AM
I like using a Joby Gorillapod when I travel. It's not like a traditional tripod- it has flexible, bendable legs and so it's very easy to carry with you, and you can get creative with where you set it up. You can wrap it around objects like poles, branches or a railing or easily adjust the legs to prop up against uneven surfaces.

You have to consider how heavy your camera (and lens) combinations would be as there's a practical weight limit on using a gorillapod and if you're wrapping it around an object it is best if the legs can fully wrap around the object for a secure fit if you're using a railing or branch then the support is very secure.

There's always someone stopping me to ask where I picked it up.

mrsgaribaldi
09-07-2007, 02:04 AM
I like using a Joby Gorillapod when I travel. It's not like a traditional tripod- it has flexible, bendable legs and so it's very easy to carry with you, and you can get creative with where you set it up. You can wrap it around objects like poles, branches or a railing or easily adjust the legs to prop up against uneven surfaces.

There's always someone stopping me to ask where I picked it up.

This is what we just got and are going to use on Sat. I'll let you know how the pics turn out:thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
09-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful hints. I've got some shopping to do! :thumbsup:
mrsgaribaldi - Please let me know how your pictures turn out. Thanks