PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain versus Rock-N-Roller Coaster

Tinkitude
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
My family and I have never ridden Space Mountain. How does it compare to Rock-N-Roller Coaster? We plan on riding SM this trip, and I was just curious. :mickey:

thrillme
09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
No comparison. Two totally different roller coasters, two totally different themes. Coming from a "Roller coaster nut". The Rockin' is a little more "thrilling". Space Mountain really doesn't have any MAJOR drops nor does it have any loops. But it's in the dark. It it definately a worthy ride.

I tried the newly refurbished Space Mountain in DisneyLand a couple of years ago (it's 50th anniversary). Comparing the two I think DW's could use a little "refurbishment"

katzctkpt
09-06-2007, 02:24 PM
You definately need to ride SM because it's an original but, to compare it with RRC there is no comparison. I like SM but, I love RRC better.

wedway76
09-06-2007, 02:26 PM
RnR is a lot wilder. Space Mountain is in almost complete darkness but there are no inversions or even any really big drops. It is also a traditional gravity powered coaster so you begin by SLOWLY climbing a big hill as compared to RnR’s extreme take-off.

disneymom15
09-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Both are great. SM is much tamer. Rockin rollercoaster is my all time favorite ride.

robnadina
09-06-2007, 04:06 PM
RNRC is much better if you want that "thrill". SM in WDW is ok. But having riden the one at DL so many times, the one at WDW is very tame.

ncscgirl2005
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
No comparison there. Both are great rides but I prefer Rockin Roller Coaster for the thrill. DD-10is afraid of rides with loops but she loved that one! Space Mountain is great too but less of a thrill.

cal5755
09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I have to agree with everyone here.... SM is worth the ride but does not compare to Rockin. I love Rockin and am sooooo sad it is being refurbed when we go!!

IloveDisney71
09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Both are great. SM is much tamer. Rockin rollercoaster is my all time favorite ride.
:ditto: Me too! :mickey:

grumpycajun
09-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm not a big fan of up-side down stuff, so I stay away from RnR, although I did ride it with DD once so she wouldn't call me a big whimp any more. I love SM. Just my speed. Not too crazy, but still plenty enough thrills for me.

GrmGrninGost
09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I love them both! RnR is much faster, but also, much smoother. SM has so many quick turns and quick drops. In my mind it's a mouse and not a roller coaster. It will jerk you around a lot more than RnR. I highly recommend them both though! They are two of WDW star attractions, and with good reason! :mickey:

Jared
09-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Space Mountain is considerably less wild. If you enjoy Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, you will have no problem.

Remember Space Mountain's top speed is around 28 m.p.h. compared to nearly 65 m.p.h. on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Regardless, Space Mountain is a true Disney classic. It's certainly not an intense roller coaster, but it's still a fabulous ride after many decades.

Mickeylover71
09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I personally haven't ridden Rockin' Rollercoaster but have Space Mountain :)

Space Mountain is really cool and WAAAY up there :) but it's very interesting and one of the few indoor coasters :) It's a classic and i've ridden it a bunch.

Just hope it's not closed when we go next year or else i'm going to be very, very sad :(

#1donaldfan
09-06-2007, 09:35 PM
SM is an all time original...so in it's own right, you'll enjoy it...total darkness, and lots of flashing lights....Now......RnR....that's my favorite.......if they would let me I'd stay on it all day.....I love the speed, the turns, the inversions, lights, music....it's a total Disney thrill ride.

RALPH
09-07-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm not a coaster guy but have ridden both many times with DS. RnR is much smoother. The bad disk in my neck hurts after more than 1 ride on SM due to the jerkiness of the ride.

PeterPanFan
09-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Ok here is my vote....

Space Mountain!

Please do not compare them cause you cant.

Rock n Roller Coaster is a great NEW ride.

Space Mountain is a classic. When you ride it pretend your riding it when you were 10 cause thats what I do and I am 37 now. The first time I rode it I was 10 and it was AWSOME. It still is my first stop every time.

:number1:

disneynarula
09-07-2007, 07:34 AM
I also think that SM is a much bumpier ride. I have some lower back issues so I can only make about one ride per trip.

SM seats are also more cramped. I am only 5'10" and my legs are always squished.

SM is such a WDW classic. The area where the line queres up is so cool in a retro-futurustic way. You really can't compare it to RnRC. It is def worth using a FP on.

princessM0m
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I tried the newly refurbished Space Mountain in DisneyLand a couple of years ago (it's 50th anniversary). Comparing the two I think DW's could use a little "refurbishment"

I agree. DL's Space Mountain is much better than WDW's.

DisneyCouture
09-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I enjoy SM bc it is more of a classic roller coaster. It is so cool that is it in the dark. If you went in RnR, this ride will not compare in speed, but it is worth riding at least once.

RocknRoller94
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Space Mountain is a steel coaster, but feels a lot like a Wooden Roller Coaster. It's slower, and doesn't have any loops. It is also jerky.:dizzy:I love them both, however.:mickey:

ktflisa
09-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I have to agree with everyone here.... SM is worth the ride but does not compare to Rockin. I love Rockin and am sooooo sad it is being refurbed when we go!!

Me too! My husband was soooo disappointed when I told him rnrc would be down next week when we are there. But thanks to EE, we can still get a good thrill ride. SM is awesome - I liked it better when they had the videos playing in the queue, though. And I have to agree - I rode the SM at Disneyland in Aug '06 and it was GREAT! I hope WDW spruces theirs up too!

If you can handle rnrc, sm will be a breeze. Try to sit in front - it's great because in the dark you can't see where it's going!

6 more days to the world, yahoooo!

:yay:

Mickeylover71
09-09-2007, 03:20 AM
I agree. DL's Space Mountain is much better than WDW's.

I would have to agree on that one...SM at Disneyland is a completely different experience..The loading and unloading is in the same area (it was in 1989)..and to me it's faster.

mikelynn91
09-09-2007, 09:57 AM
When I think of Space Mountain I think of cool, dark fun! It's basically up/down with some decent curves. It's scary becuase you can't see what's ahead.:mickey:

Rock n Roller coaster's acceleration and loops make it very thrilling. The music and neon are very cool! It's much more intense than Space Mountain. If you haven't ridden a "real" roller coaster you will probably be shocked but delighted with this one! It's a favorite.:number1:

A Big Kid
09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Space Mountain is to the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway as Rock and Roller Coaster is to the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-10-2007, 12:10 AM
:number1:I LOVE the RnRC. It is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW. I love roller coasters in general. SM is very different. It rides like an older style coaster. It is more jerky and isn't going to give you the G force that RnRC does. It is completely in the dark with the coasters glowing so you can see where the other cars are. It is something you have to do at least once and decide for yourself. Have fun!