PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising ideas for homecoming

Jeri Lynn
09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
My daughters Junior class wants to hold some sort of fund raiser to be held during their homecoming. They were thinking about a carnival but were not sure exactly what to do, it can't be too elaborate, the school is not huge and funds are very limited.

Any idea's?

conorsmom2000
09-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I know that some of our schools have done a carnival, but they are a lot of work and you need a ton of volunteers. I think the last school that had one was the Middle school and they used a company/service who did most of the work and had all the equipment but they still needed more volunteers than what they could get.

Another school does a games night once a month - they sell popcorn, snacks, juice, soda and then you pay to play carnival type games - knock over the cans, shooting basketballs, etc. They do have to purchase prizes, so I'm not sure how much they make, but I can get more info if your interested!

Good luck!

disneydrmr
09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
How about an auction? Have people donate items and get an auctioneer (I bet you can find one who would donate his/her time - or even better - contact a local morning radio show dj and see if the station would be willing to act as your auctioneers)... we did a Baked Good auction at my church using our local Christian Morning Radio Show hosts and made almost $1,000 - with just baked goods and a small crowd... Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Tick-Tock
09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Several schools in this area are sponsoring 5K races for fundraisers (they've done them year after year, and I understand they're pretty successful). This might be a little too elaborate for this year, but an idea for future years.

Big garage sale.

Car wash.

One Internet site I saw talks about a printer cartridge recycling drive.

Some sort of "thon" - maybe solicit pledges for numbers of bags of trash cleaned from community parks, or something to that effect. When I was in high school, we held a marathon volleyball match (24 hours straight) and solicited pledges for how long we'd play.

Mini-golf tournament

Video game tournament

A raffle of gift baskets, etc. (but be sure to look into your state's laws regarding raffles)

conorsmom2000
09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
A raffle of gift baskets, etc. (but be sure to look into your state's laws regarding raffles)
Forgot to mention that - basket raffles always do well. We're a small school and our principal won't allow a tricky tray (though the other schools have them) but he did let us have a small basket raffle at our Holiday Open house - the class parents each coordinated a basket for their class, so with only 13 baskets we raised $850 - with all the items for the baskets donated, this was pure profit for us. (and while that may not sound like a lot to some, for us, that was huge!! :D )

WDWFanatic
09-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Our middle school has had a G rated hypnotist. That went over well. My kids are still younger so all of our PTO events are for younger kids.

Would the Junior class run a bingo for younger kids? That is always a big hit in our town.

I like the clean-athon idea.

Please let us know what they do.

Lucille
09-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Our local park raises money by having a annual rummage sale. It is a lot of work to organize the items and price them, but the expenses are minimal, justadvertising and renting a truck for a day to pick up large donations. I believe that this year we raised $5000!

disneydeb
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Some easy carnival games:

Pick a lope: put envelopes on a bulletin board, child picks one envelope which may contain a certificate for prize basket # 1 ,#2 and so forth good prizes ----> not so hot prizes.

go fishing ; child casts line from fishing pole behind or over a curtain, someone from behind the curtain attaches a random prize and child reels in upon tug signal.

pick up ducks - ducks float in child's wading pool.Numbers on bottom of floating ducks denote prize bucket child chooses prize from.

ping pong ball toss into muffins tins. numbers in bottom of tins denote prizes.

football toss - through tire target wins prize

car wash

bake sale

rummage sale

auction of items from town merchants.

I hope you have a successful carnival. Our elementary school holds spring carnival. We usually make 3-5 K that Saturday. It is an all day event. Our kids look forward to it, but it wears the teachers outl

mickeys_princess_mom
09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
How about sponsoring a Homecoming Dance? My Dance Team did many small fundraisers for years before we discovered dances were the best way to raise the most money for a couple of days work. The students loved having them, and we did really well.
:wave: