PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to do this at CS locations?

Rodders
09-05-2007, 05:28 AM
My DW and I never seperate at the CS locations and go to find a table after we have purchased our meal. If everyone did this then finding a table is usually quite simple. Unfortunately a lot of people like to hog tables by splitting up with some in the queue and someone "guarding" a table. I find this frustrating because I often see up to about 30% of the tables being held with nobody using them just yet. When so many people are doing this it can take a while to find a table. I have frequently seen a situation where we have finished our food before the people in the queue have returned.

My personal view is that this behaviour is rather selfish so we don't do it. I raised this issue in another topic and it appears that I may be in a minority here.

Do you think that doing this is OK or not?

BigRedDad
09-05-2007, 05:34 AM
I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. The reason is it allows the ones sitting there a little break, lowers the number of people standing in the CS lines. If they are just sitting there to occupy the table and no food is being ordered, then I think it is a problem.

Is seating that much of a problem at the CS restaurants now? What time of the day are the tables 100% occupied? What about the people that do as you do, finish eating, but don't get up immediately and free up the table? How long are people allowed to sit at a table after they finish the meal?

Rodders
09-05-2007, 06:00 AM
I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. The reason is it allows the ones sitting there a little break, lowers the number of people standing in the CS lines. If they are just sitting there to occupy the table and no food is being ordered, then I think it is a problem.

I can see where you are coming from.

Is seating that much of a problem at the CS restaurants now?

On a few occasions I found this to be the case

What time of the day are the tables 100% occupied?

Generally I only saw this at peak times but we did see it at other times once or twice when I was last there.

What about the people that do as you do, finish eating, but don't get up immediately and free up the table? How long are people allowed to sit at a table after they finish the meal?

I'm not trying to push an agenda here, I am trying to find out what other peoples thoughts are on this matter.

Thanks for your views

DizneyRox
09-05-2007, 06:18 AM
It drives me crazy...

I can't help but think, if people we're sitting at tables, others could actually be eating and be gone before the next people need a table. I've seen loads of people walking around with their food getting cold trying to find an open table with loads of "reserved" tables with the rest of their party roaming around trying to decide what food to get.

SBETigg
09-05-2007, 06:21 AM
If you have someone in line buying food, then you are in fact using a table for justifiable purpose. I see nothing wrong with it. Hogging tables would be taking more tables than you need or lingering long after a meal is done. But sending a member of your party ahead to scout and grab tables while you are buying your food? That just makes sense in a crowded place. People in line are paying customers and paying customers are entitled to reasonable use of table space. I think this is reasonable. The people holding the table are hardly ever there for than an extra few minutes before the food comes.

carley
09-05-2007, 06:43 AM
if your just sitting their for a rest period and not planning to eat then id say its unacceptable... i know when we go we will be seperated while one stands in line and the others find a table... haveing a hyper-active son who would change his mind ten times at the counter and make everyone wait behind us even longer is another great reason for me to stand in line alone while hubby and son get a table

timbeccaf
09-05-2007, 06:57 AM
We are a family of six. I find it much easier to have four of us sit at a table while two get the food. I t would be ridiculous to have all six of us standing in those crowded lines! I see nothing wrong with it at all.

CAS
09-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I definitely agree with the posters. If our group would've stayed in line with 3 two-year-olds instead of finding a table we would've been asked to leave! :blush:

Jenemmy
09-05-2007, 07:38 AM
You know, I've certainly done it -- but not to reserve the table. More to just get the kids somewhere and settled and out of a line. That being said, I tend to go in off season and really can't recall a time when it a CS place was that packed. (In fact -- the last time I ate at pizzafari in AK, we were literally the ONLY people in the room -- all the tables wanted US! LOL)

I think if I were sitting at a table waiting and saw a family with little ones desperately searching with trays full of food then I would definitely get up and let them have the table. At least, I would hope I would notice and do that.

BigRedDad
09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Rodder,
I wasn't trying to berate you. I just can see this as an issue unless the CS restaurants are so over-crowded that no one can sit. I have not been in a while, but have several trips in plan for next year.

I can remember the most crowded I saw a CS was Tomorrowland Terrace. I had to have been around 8. This is when they only had MK. Michael Iceberg and the Iceberg Machine were there. The place was so crowded, there were no tables, people were standing around waiting for people to get up.

However, in general, there is no way I can see not having part of the group sit at a table while others are in line getting food.

DizneyRox
09-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Sounds like I'm in the minority again. :D

Spaceship Tigger
09-05-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't see any problem with it. I wouldn't even think of trying to wait in the CS line with DD in her stroller and DS jumping around. DW will usually take the kids to a table while I pick up the food (and hopefully remember everything).

CanadianWDWFan
09-05-2007, 08:01 AM
If you think that the sitting are is crowded with folks waiting for their food, imagine what the line ups at the food servce would be like with everyone standing there.

I personally have no issue with holding a table while some one gets the food. It is just good use of time. Like others have said, if folks are just using it as a rest stop, then no it isn't acceptable. But if you are paying for the food you have effectively paid for your table.

Rodders
09-05-2007, 08:06 AM
I can see why it's necessary with kids, strollers etc. I find it annoying when people are there alone whilst the rest of the group take ages to decide what they want. I have been in the situation where food is going cold and there are no tables free and it's frustrating. Especially when you know that some people will return from the counter after you have finished eating.

Part of me thinks that I should do the same but that makes the whole situation worse.

kakn7294
09-05-2007, 08:42 AM
We occasionally do this too - actually usually when the place is more crowded. What we do is all get in line together and order then send DD's off to find a table while DH and I wait for the food. I see nothing wrong with this practice and we usually employ it at fast food joints at home too regardless of how crowded they are. I do get slightly miffed when I see someone holding up a table (and not eating) for an extended period when the place is busy and we or others are wandering around with a tray full of food going cold. I have a couple of times politely asked a table-holder if my DD's could sit and eat until the rest of their party arrives - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - it just depends on the kindness of whomever I've asked.

illini
09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I actually find the practice rude, too, but not the people doing it (if that makes sense). I understand ~why~ people do it, I just think that when the restaurant is crowded, it causes even more problems. There've been times that I've seen 25%+ tables occupied by people waiting for their food. It would be much more efficient if people didn't get a seat until their food had arrived, or just before. Plus, not everyone has the luxury of being able to grab a seat ahead of time. We shared our table with a single mom stuck carrying a tray of food and pushing a stroller around while no one would get up from an "unused" table. With her load, she couldn't beat others to vacated tables. It was sad, actually.
We don't clog up the lines when we don't grab a table ahead of time. I take the kids in for a potty break and hand washing while DH gets the food.

spinnerf
09-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I think the practice is fine. I have to agree with a previous poster who had a family of 6. If people didnt hold tables all 6 people would be on line and then there would be a thread complaining about all the unrully kids on line. If anything it probably makes the dining experience go faster when only one or two people wait on line for food while the rest sit at a table.

DisneyAddict62
09-05-2007, 09:00 AM
We travel as a party of 7, which makes it difficult to find tables to seat that many, so we usually find out what everyone wants, a couple wait to get the food and the others will find a table. We aren't ones to linger at the table though, there are rides to ride!:coaster:

LauraF
09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I think this is acceptable behavior . . . within limits.

I also travel (usually) with a large party. One of us will look for a single table for the group while others get in line for food. Once a table is found, those who are not needed to cary food sit down. However I do object to the principle of using one small child to hold three or four tables, especially when times are busy. When our group has been bigger than one table, it's always been one person sitting at each table. Pick a table and sit - it's not an IQ test and there's no prize for getting a "better" table.

I'll continue to hold a single table for my parrty, because there is *nothing* worse than standing there with trays of food, wailing kids at your feet and all of you looking for a place to sit and rest.

kaytieeldr
09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Oh, goodie! My first post gets to be on one of my favorite topics :D

Stop and think a minute - by having one or some members of your party find and hold a table while one or more members of your party get in line to order, obtain, and deliver the food, you are effectively turning a counter service location into a table service restaurant.

Think about it. You're seated, with no food in sight and none expected for x minutes (x varies depending on number of customers, cashiers, and kitchen workers). You're occupying the table in a location where intention is for customers to bring their own food to the table, sit, eat, clean, leave. But you add five, ten, fifteen, or more minutes' occupancy to the table time, because in addition to using it as intended (to eat the food you purchased at the counter) you're also using the table while you have no food, and can't tell for sure when you will.

Say there's a fifteen minute wait in line (keeping in mind, this wait will not be any longer or shorter because a family of four is in the line instead of just dad; the physical line will be, but the actual wait won't). Dad enters the line, mom and kids head for the only available table. Single-mom-with-two-kids (described above) has just gotten her tray of food and heads for the same table. Mom and kids get there first and sit with no food for fourteen minutes, while single-mom-with-two-kids now ends up wandering around for another ten, trying to keep track of two kids, not drop tray or spill drinks, AND find a table.

Does it REALLY make sense for customers without food to hold tables, when customers already WITH food then can't find a place to eat?

gardenia
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
If the place is that crowded, I don't eat there. But I have nothing against the people sitting down waiting for their food. They're there to eat and they have every right to sit down while their food is being prepared. It's ridiculous to think it's not "moral" for them to do that just because you're the one who can't get a table.

DSNYMOM4JJ
09-05-2007, 09:45 AM
that is the reality of the world we live in. People will do what is easier for thier families and I have to say I have done it with my family of 4 and will definetly do so on our vacation this Oct since thier will be 8 of us and my father is somewhat wheelchair bound.

It seems that this is routine for many families and truly feel that CS places are aware of table holding as are most customers. We have given our table to families with smaller children as soon as we stand up and never take more time than needed.

Your not expected to take everyone to the counter just because its counter service and I think that many would agree the lines to get food would be twice as long therefore only causing another complaint. The only true way to have a table waiting when you get your food is to go to a TS establisment.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Kristine

MsMin
09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
We get our table as soon as the order is placed. This way we are not occupying the table too early and everyone else gets out the way, including my dad in his w/c last year. Our habit is to order grab a table and hit the condiments before the food is carried to the table. So if it makes anyone else feel any better at least we have stacks of pickles mounting and straws (if not @ AK). Most often we are not finished gathering supplies when the food has arrived. We've even asked to join other like 2 ppl at a large table or squeezed into a smaller table. I understand the frustration.
I do agree that "hogging" would be taking up more space than needed and we didn't start this behavior until after several times when we obtained our food and had to wait for a table.:(

Mickey91
09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I think the practice is fine. I have to agree with a previous poster who had a family of 6. If people didnt hold tables all 6 people would be on line and then there would be a thread complaining about all the unrully kids on line. If anything it probably makes the dining experience go faster when only one or two people wait on line for food while the rest sit at a table.

Amen! I agree totally. People complaining about not finding a seat would start complaining about all the unruly "brats" they had to put up with in line. Tensions would elevate even more and everyone would have an aweful time. It just shows good sense to allow little ones and sometimes us older ones, to sit rather than to stand in line. I also agree that the whole process takes far less time when you don't have everyone to usher to a table. I have been in line by myself and had people get impatient with me trying to pick up my tray without spilling it and get out of the way. Think how much longer it would take if I had to get my kids to move out of the way.

r4kids
09-05-2007, 10:05 AM
We are also a family of six. What we do is stand back from the ordering area, decide what we want. DH and DD (13) maybe DS(9) will stand in line while I take DD(6) and DD(4) and the stroller (unless we can leave it outside)to find a table. Now imagine this DH, self and 4 kids waiting in line through one of those narrow areas trying to move ahead enough to let the next person order and then trying to carry 2/3 trays of 6 drinks, 6 meals and 6 desserts and wandering around trying to find a table big enough for all of us. I assure you there would be spills. There is no reason for all of us to stand in line.

OP do you have children? Just curious because if you don't,it tends to make it a bit more complicated.

17 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodders
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I started this thread to find out peoples views and reasons for doing this. Most of the reasons are perfectly understandable such as families and people with wheelchairs.

thrillme
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't object to "table holders" so much because it's hard to get a table once you have your meal primarily because there are those that LINGER at the table FOREVER. They're obviously done and have been DONE since you first got in line but they continue to hang out and chat while the kids run amuck because they're bored. Not a big deal during "non-peak" times but if it's "during" PEAK hours PLEASE...clean up your place and LEAVE chat elsewhere.

And OH MY...Do I ever hate :mad: it when these people have been sitting and "chatting" not eating...while I've been wandering looking for a table for 10 + minutes (naturally eyeing their table because they're OBVIOUSLY done)and then they leave the table with all their TRASH on it for YOU to clean if you want the table. Whazzup with that???

Samtastic
09-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I makes sense to not take a family of 4,5,6+ in line when 1 or 2 people can just do the ordering. However I like the suggestion of one poster, that she takes the children into the bathroom to potty and wash up. That's an awesome idea. :thumbsup:

Personally, the last time I went with my DBF only, and we're going again this January, we stand in line together. First off- we don't see the point of seperating for 10 minutes just to get a table (yes we are that sickeningly in love, we don't want to leave each other's side :ack: ) and secondly we go in the off season so it was never that crowded. And finally we're both young, healthy, and we (i.e. he) are unselfish that we'd give up our table for those in need (i.e. single mom with 2 kids) if it was that crowded.

It is a truth that many people in this world are selfish, but we'd like to think people in the WORLD (i.e. disney) aren't as much. We're always willing to up our seats for those who need it more. Or at least we try to be.

merlinmagic4
09-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't object to "table holders" so much because it's hard to get a table once you have your meal primarily because there are those that LINGER at the table FOREVER. They're obviously done and have been DONE since you first got in line but they continue to hang out and chat while the kids run amuck because they're bored. Not a big deal during "non-peak" times but if it's "during" PEAK hours PLEASE...clean up your place and LEAVE chat elsewhere.

And OH MY...Do I ever hate :mad: it when these people have been sitting and "chatting" not eating...while I've been wandering looking for a table for 10 + minutes (naturally eyeing their table because they're OBVIOUSLY done)and then they leave the table with all their TRASH on it for YOU to clean if you want the table. Whazzup with that???

I'm right with you!! I find people who linger at the tables much more annoying than people who send one person to get food and the rest of the party goes to sit. To sit and linger knowing that others are needing a place to sit and eat is far more rude in my opinion. And don't even get me started on the people who don't pick up after themselves..........I mean, who does that? :confused:

ElenitaB
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Moderator's Note

Please let's maintain a friendly tone of discussion in this thread! We are all here to talk about our "Happy Place"!

Thank you!

Rodders
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
We are also a family of six. What we do is stand back from the ordering area, decide what we want. DH and DD (13) maybe DS(9) will stand in line while I take DD(6) and DD(4) and the stroller (unless we can leave it outside)to find a table. Now imagine this DH, self and 4 kids waiting in line through one of those narrow areas trying to move ahead enough to let the next person order and then trying to carry 2/3 trays of 6 drinks, 6 meals and 6 desserts and wandering around trying to find a table big enough for all of us. I assure you there would be spills. There is no reason for all of us to stand in line.

OP do you have children? Just curious because if you don't,it tends to make it a bit more complicated.

17 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have children. It's my DW and I when we go. Obviously having a large family group makes things different. I started this thread to hear other peoples points of view. It's clear to me that some people do this for genuine reasons and other people because they don't care if that makes some people wait for a table.

Samtastic
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Why would you sit there and chat when there are things to see and places to go, rides to ride, shops to go broke in, etc. haha.

Yes yes yes I understand some people do not have endless bounds of energy, but that's what sugar and caffeine are for! :D

kaytieeldr
09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
We get our table as soon as the order is placed. This way we are not occupying the table too early and everyone else gets out the way, including my dad in his w/c last year. :(

And THIS seems to be the most reasonable and sensible compromise! :thumbsup:

valjane
09-05-2007, 11:00 AM
The way the counter service lines are set up at WDW makes it really impractical to have more than 2 people per party waiting in line. It would be impossible to ever reach the counter and get your food if the small gated line was clogged with families!

If I'm there with just my husband, we'll stand in line together, but if other people are along, the rest of us will go grab a table while one or two people wait in line and get the food.

Of course, we always eat early, so we're never in the midst of huge crowds in the dining rooms anyway.

mook3y
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I definitely agree with the posters. If our group would've stayed in line with 3 two-year-olds instead of finding a table we would've been asked to leave! :blush:
Yep, my wife always takes our 2 toddlers and finds a seat. Both for my sanity and the sanity of those around me!

r4kids
09-05-2007, 11:23 AM
We don't have children. It's my DW and I when we go. Obviously having a large family group makes things different. I started this thread to hear other peoples points of view. It's clear to me that some people do this for genuine reasons and other people because they don't care if that makes some people wait for a table.

Right on, I think it's a good thread but as with any thread there are those that will take things personally. Try not to get too offended. On a another note I will suggest(nicely) to folks who leave a table messy, and I quote " Your maid took the day off" It usually gets them to remember to come back and pick up.

16 days, 23 hours, 27 mins and I can't freaking wait!!

Momof2boys
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
We do this at all "counter style" restaurants - whether at WDW or not. The boys give DH & I their orders and they go find a seat because it gives them something to do, we don't have to listen how hungry they are, and it makes the line less crowded. Whether McDonalds, Taco Bell, or Cosmic Rays this is our practice. I guess I never even thought that others don't do the same thing.

However, I will say when we are done eating, we leave. No sitting & chatting.

Rodders
09-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Right on, I think it's a good thread but as with any thread there are those that will take things personally. Try not to get too offended. On a another note I will suggest(nicely) to folks who leave a table messy, and I quote " Your maid took the day off" It usually gets them to remember to come back and pick up.

16 days, 23 hours, 27 mins and I can't freaking wait!!

I think it all boils down to how you approach this. Some people are so wrapped up in their own self that they run to the nearest table even if they cut infront of someone with food. I have had it happen to me on more than one occasion. I see an empty table and head for it slowly as I have food on a tray only to have someone run around me like it was some kind of game. I have also seen people doing this and then taking ages to decide what they want before they go to order and then sitting and chatting for ages after. I have no problem where people have physical limitations or children taking a table but some people just take liberties. People have the right to live how they want to but I just wish that some people would be a little more considerate.

As for not being too offended. Some people are unable to have a polite debate on an issue without resorting to petty name calling. Fortunately not often here on the best internet forum :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
09-05-2007, 01:02 PM
We send one person (maybe 2 depending on the size of our group) to buy the food. The rest of us get out of the way by finding a table. I would much rather people take their party to a table immediately and not clog up the line to order. Just this year I saw a kiddo who was not paying attention dart in front of a guy who just picked up his tray. The guy dropped the tray, food was everywhere, and it was another delay in an already long line. That kid would have been much better off sitting at a table out of the way. Plus, when only one person is in charge of ordering the transaction is completed faster thus allowing the line to move a little quicker. How many people do you need to place an order? The line to order has always been the most congested part of the restaurant in my experience so keeping unnecessary people out of that area seems like the right thing to do in my book.

mjaclyn
09-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Honestly, the only places I've seen overcrowding is Cosmic Rays and Flame Tree BBQ. At those two CS locations we've been forced to look for tables before our food is ready. I hate wandering around the restaurant, tray in hand - food getting cold. That being said, I DO wait in line with DH until he orders for both of us and then find a table. That way I'm not reserving the table for more than a few minutes and again, it's only when it's extremely crowded in the restaurant. I think WDW should just offer more seating. :)

r4kids
09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I think it all boils down to how you approach this. Some people are so wrapped up in their own self that they run to the nearest table even if they cut infront of someone with food. I have had it happen to me on more than one occasion. I see an empty table and head for it slowly as I have food on a tray only to have someone run around me like it was some kind of game. I have also seen people doing this and then taking ages to decide what they want before they go to order and then sitting and chatting for ages after. I have no problem where people have physical limitations or children taking a table but some people just take liberties. People have the right to live how they want to but I just wish that some people would be a little more considerate.

As for not being too offended. Some people are unable to have a polite debate on an issue without resorting to petty name calling. Fortunately not often here on the best internet forum :thumbsup:

Oh I completely agree with those that run up and cut you off. It drives me crazy in CS places, in ride lines, the bus, etc. Like they have to "beat you" to where their going. We kinda wander around until we find a good spot. We also tend to stay from the crowded areas, only to maintain some sense of sanity.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I can agree that people running and cutting you off is annoying and inconsiderate and won't involve myself in that. But walking into a place and finding an empty table that will be used by the family to eat at that particular restaurant is not a crime. We usually have 4 in our party including a child. There are plenty of times we had to wait to sit and eat also. If a guaranteed table when the food is ready is what is desirable than a CS place is not the place to choose to eat in the first place. You get what you can when you can, without being rude or hoggish of course. Now if someone is hogging tables for more than their party that is not right either or lingering without eating is also rude. Our rule of thumb is Dad does the ordering and I take our son to the bathroom to wash up and than we find a table.

Madame Leona
09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I have done this and I don't see a problem with it. Before kids, I always stayed in line with dh since it didn't make sense for me to just sit when there was only the two of us. Once we had ds, I would get napkins, condiments, etc and sit down to get ds going with his meal (this was before he was eating solid food and baby food took forever). This past trip in May, I always got condiments and went to sit down with ds (15 months) since I was pregnant and the heat was a killer. That all being said, if I saw one woman walking around with two kids, I would have given up our table on the last trip for her.

kmo84
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I have done this before and I have no issue with anyone else doing it.

The reality of counter service places in the park is that they are often very busy and it is hard to find a table. Since there are 5 of us in my family, we very often avoid counter service in the parks all together. If we do not have a reservation for a table service restaurant in the park we are in, we eat before or after the park.
Most of the resorts have counter service places that usually aren't as busy as the ones in the parks. It can be out of the way, but I have found eating in the CS places in the parks to be so stressful because of how busy they are. It's worth it to have a nice, quiet meal.

Mousefever
09-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Where do you get off suggesting that? Ever heard of altruism? Or is that lack of common sense round your way?

I started this thread to find out peoples views and reasons for doing this. Most of the reasons are perfectly understandable such as families and people with wheelchairs. I did not start it to be insulted by someone like you.

And, this isn't a question of morality. It isn't fair to make those on the opposing side of this issue feel that they are immoral because they have common sense.

Sounds like I'm in the moral minority again. :D

I'm almost positive that Mickey91 was not attacking you, just responding to the above post.

:dory:

septembergirl
09-06-2007, 12:13 PM
We are a family of six. I find it much easier to have four of us sit at a table while two get the food. I t would be ridiculous to have all six of us standing in those crowded lines! I see nothing wrong with it at all.

I feel the same way about our family of six. And it is really difficult to scout out a table when everyone is standing there with their hands full of food except the little ones who are wondering around making me a nervous wreck!

kaytieeldr
09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
If a guaranteed table when the food is ready is what is desirable than a CS place is not the place to choose to eat in the first place. Okay, then, what is? Think about it. By having some members of your party get into line when you enter a CS restaurant, and others get a table at that same time, you’re guaranteeing yourself a place to sit and eat before your food is even ordered, never mind cooked, ready, and delivered to your table… just like a table service restaurant.
So, seriously, not arguming, asking – if a CS restaurant is not the place to choose to eat when you want a guaranteed table when the food is ready; and if by taking a table at a CS restaurant before your food is ordered you’re effectively turning it into a table service restaurant (where one or more members of your own party provide the service {and so, should be tipped ;)}), what’s left?

Mickie the Pooh
09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I see nothing wrong with it, lines would be out around the corner and down sides of buildings if everyone had to wait in the line, and then you would see many more people wandering about with trays as well.
I am in WC and we always get me seated first then hubby goes and gets the food.
I see Nothing even vaguely Rude about it, now saving several tables you don't need that is different.

Jared
09-06-2007, 05:38 PM
My mother and I wait for the food while the other three members of my family find a table. Having five people clogging a line is completely unproductive. Two people can easily carry the trays. Everybody else should have a few more minutes sitting in the air conditioning.

Jasper
09-06-2007, 06:09 PM

I do largely agree with your point of view that people should not generally practice table holding.

However I am VERY offended by your statement that suggests that we are somehow moral because we hold this point of view and others who do not hold this point of view are immoral!!! Please avoid such statements and help keep this site the FRIENDLY exchange of opinions we all come here for.

I missed the post from the moderator before I posted this reply so fortunately the issue has already been addressed but I still find bringing morality into an issue like this to be offense regardless of which side I am on.

IloveDisney71
09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
We send one person (maybe 2 depending on the size of our group) to buy the food. The rest of us get out of the way by finding a table. I would much rather people take their party to a table immediately and not clog up the line to order. ... Plus, when only one person is in charge of ordering the transaction is completed faster thus allowing the line to move a little quicker. How many people do you need to place an order? The line to order has always been the most congested part of the restaurant in my experience so keeping unnecessary people out of that area seems like the right thing to do in my book.
I totally agree and this is what we do. The lines to order are always sooooooo hectic and crowded that it's easier to have one or two people ordering. I have never had to wait in a food line longer than 10 minutes no matter what time of year I've visited. I wish Disney could teach the rest of the world how to be as efficient as they are! :mickey: So I don't feel bad about having the other members of our party finding and saving us a table. There is nothing worse than holding trays full of food and then trying to wander around and hunt for a table.

GrmGrninGost
09-06-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm getting in on this late, but I feel if you have more than one or two people in your group it is perfectly acceptable. I can't imagine taking my entire family through the CS line when they could be sitting down resting up for the remainder of our day! The lines are crowded enough as it is! I also take great offense to someone trying to make this a moral issue! To me it is an issue of doing what you deem best for yourself, your family and also the other patrons of the eating establishment. To me it's best for all but one or two to sit, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree. It also doesn't make me wrong. We all are entitled to our opinions.

magicofdisney
09-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately a lot of people like to hog tables by splitting up with some in the queue and someone "guarding" a table.
I think the tone of the thread was set with this line.

As a family of 6, we ALWAYS save a table while the other parent places the order. It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. You get blamed for "hogging" tables, or you get blamed for standing in mile long lines with unruly kids. :shake: :rolleyes: And for the record, I would do it anyway because I like to sit when I eat, and this almost always guarantees that.

I'd like to pipe in and say I hardly think this is a morality issue, unless of course that big, silly grin of yours is you yanking our chains. :D

DizneyRox
09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I will obviously not win this arguement, not that there has to be winners and losers, however...

There are groups of people who don't have the luxury of splitting up and killing two birds with one stone, why are they penalized with not being able to get a table? I come from a school of thought that what's good for you is good for me, and what's good for me is good for you.

The problem is, tables are for eating, not waiting. I can hardly eat while standing up carrying a tray table with rugrats under foot, etc. BUT, those NOT eating can certainly wait while NOT occupying a table that someone else could be using to enjoy a hot meal.

Sure, you may claim it's only a few minutes, BUT I've seen places where probably 50% of the tables are filled with people that are not eating and tons of people circling like hawks trying to find a place. I won't get into the spilled meals, soda, etc. because of the unnecessary travelling. Those people are waiting for a family that hasn't even gotten their food, when in all probability they could be 3/4 of the way done with their meal in that time. They have just as much right (maybe more) to that table as anyone else, CLEARLY (by the fact tthat that already have food) were there first.

To me, everyone needs to follow the same rules. In all honesty, I don't care much what the situation is that makes some feel they are more entitled to certain "perks". I'm not saying that everyone needs to be in the lines ordering, but they certainly don't need to be sitting down either.

So yes, I do think that it's somewhat immoral for people to sit and watch someone looking for a place to enjoy their already paid for meal when they do not yet need to table. The question was, "Is this OK to do this at CS location?" and my answer is no, I don't think it's OK to do that. Unfortunately in this world, it's all about me. I'm learning more and more that's the way to play the game.

BTW - the "joke" was a play on moral majority, any number of words could have been used instead, none of which would have come off any better. It is what it is I guess...

CanadianWDWFan
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
To me, everyone needs to follow the same rules.

Rules what rules? Are there rules posted somewhere for proper CS table etiquette?:confused:

I do think that it's somewhat immoral for people to sit and watch someone looking for a place to enjoy their already paid for meal when they do not yet need to table.
I am sorry I really don't see how this is a moral issue. The world will not end if you get to a table before your food does.

We can argue this point until the cows come home. In the end we will all do what we feel is right.

timbeccaf
09-06-2007, 09:59 PM
They have just as much right (maybe more) to that table as anyone else, CLEARLY (by the fact tthat that already have food) were there first..

That is not necessarily true. What if I got there first but get in the slow line and someone comes in after me but gets in a quicker moving line. I always pick the wrong line! What does it say in the rules about that?;)

DizneyRox
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM
In the end we will all do what we feel is right.
Or worded otherwise:

In the end, I will do whatever is better for me.
That is where the morality comes in. I'm done before this gets too far off-topic and ends up in the gutter. :beer:

Goes4FastPass
09-07-2007, 12:31 AM
CS Seating at WDW can be just plain awful - not Wheee! Magical! at all.

It only makes sense for groups to split up with some doing the order and carry while others get a table and get napkins, straws etc. organized.

Has anyone mentioned the family of 7 gathered around the cash register all talking at once while Jennie Sue can't decide what she wants? Can I substitute shrimp for fries?? Ai, yi, yi. Why do I always get behind these folks?

Mickey91
09-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Or worded otherwise: In the end, I will do what is better for me.

That is where the morality comes in. I'm done before this gets too far off-topic and ends up in the gutter. :beer:

You are the one pulling it off topic. It was totally unfair and completely immoral to twist CanadianWDWfan's words around the way you did.

Finding a table for your family is good common sense. I have two kids. They are now preteen and teenage. I can honestly say that I don't know which would be worse. Standing in a much too congested line with them when they were 2 and 5 or standing in line with them now. I can tell you that though they may not realize it, those around me are much happier that my kids are at a table somewhere. I love my kids and they are better behaved than some I have met, but they are kids. They bicker and fight and whine even at Disney and especially in line. I am sure that many a tray of food has been saved by parents taking their kids to a table.

I cannot believe that this has become such a heated topic and morality is in question over a table. Moderator, maybe this one needs to close. With DisneyRox and Rodders attacking people with different views, it isn't a happy discussion.

Goes4FastPass
09-07-2007, 12:36 AM
PS: Considering what a WDW vacation costs cant I sit at a table as long as I want?

I've spent many happy times sitting in a CS restaurant sipping a drink while my wife tore up an EPCOT World Showcase store.

Rodders
09-07-2007, 05:14 AM
You are the one pulling it off topic. It was totally unfair and completely immoral to twist CanadianWDWfan's words around the way you did.

Finding a table for your family is good common sense. I have two kids. They are now preteen and teenage. I can honestly say that I don't know which would be worse. Standing in a much too congested line with them when they were 2 and 5 or standing in line with them now. I can tell you that though they may not realize it, those around me are much happier that my kids are at a table somewhere. I love my kids and they are better behaved than some I have met, but they are kids. They bicker and fight and whine even at Disney and especially in line. I am sure that many a tray of food has been saved by parents taking their kids to a table.

I cannot believe that this has become such a heated topic and morality is in question over a table. Moderator, maybe this one needs to close. With DisneyRox and Rodders attacking people with different views, it isn't a happy discussion.

I didn't attack anyone with different views. I offered my point of view and welcomed other points of view to increase my own knowledge and understanding. I did however take offence to the implication that I don't have common sense because I try to be courteous.

If you could point out to me where I have attacked someone because of a different view then I will gladly hold my hand up and apologise personally to that person. I don't wish to offend anyone and If I have then I would like to make amens for my transgression.

I can now see many points of view on the matter so the thread has achieved it's objectives. Some people need to take a table early which is fine. Some people feel that they have paid for it so they should be able to chill and take their time, previously this would have irritated me but now that I have discussed the matter I can understand why they think that this is fine. I now have greater empathy and greater knowledge which to me proves that the thread has been valuable.

CanadianWDWFan
09-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I saw where DizneyRox twisted my words. I am going to let this one drop. I have bigger worries than this small one.

Thanks Mickey91 for putting a good word in for me.:thumbsup:

princessM0m
09-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I usually visit WDW as a single mom with my DD7 and no other adults, so I don't usually have the luxury of leaving DD7 at a table while I gather the food. I simply avoid the situation by eating at off-peak times or taking our food outside and eating on a bench or other quiet, out of the way area.

Seasonscraps
09-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I think it's ok to sit there while you wait for your food order. They are available to all paying customers of the CS establishment on a first come first served basis without knocking people over to get the table.

DizNee143
09-07-2007, 03:24 PM
we have always done just that..a person or two go get the food..and the others sit..never saw anything right or wrong with it..its just what we do...i personally think its the most common sense thing to do but...obviously everyone thinks differently...
to each his own!!!!!!!!

princessjojo
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Our family, too follows this practice when at the world. But we decide as a family what we want to eat, DH gets in line to order the food while the boys and I go to find a table. I put our things down there, the boys sit (hopefully quietly) while I return to get the drinks and bring them back to the table. All the while, DH is still waiting for our food and I now go to fetch any condiments, straws, and napkins that may be necessary. By this time, DH is there and we can all begin eating.

This way the boys aren't running around under the feet of those with trays full of food and drinks, and all of the extra thing are being taken care of and no real time is wasted. Kinda like family multi-tasking is how I look at it. We've never thought twice about it since most of my family consumes food like vaccuums. We'll do it again on our next trip. Believe me, it works best for us and for those around us.

disneynarula
09-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I had no idea this was such an issue and to be perfectly honest I never even thought about it. In general I think I am a pretty unselfish person. I always "let people in" when I am driving and would always give up a seat to someone holding a child on a WDW resort bus.

That being said....

I am not sure how I feel about this issue. I can see both sides of the story here. I have never been to WDW with kids (we are taking our DSs for the first time in two weeks :party:) usually it is just me with another adult friend so we never felt the need to split up.

It would only make sense for me to go and sit down with the boys while DH orders the food. I think the line moves quicker when only one person is doing the ordering.

I guess we are using a table that someone else could be eating at. I can't imagine what else we would do. It just doesn't make sense to clog up the line to order all together. I think this would also make for unessecary waitng. I also can't see myself standing around watching everyone else grabbing tables when I stand to the side waiting for the food.

Maybe they need a bigger queue where you order your food. Or a queue where you wait for a seat. Maybe next year you will be able to get a Fastpass to sit down at a CS with "little or no wait."

Now I am stressed about even the counter service meals. I thought I was done with meal stress now that our ADRs were in order.:bang: I am so tired of the DDP.

Marilyn Michetti
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I see both sides of this coin, and don't really think it's an established "rule" either way. What makes it totally, absolutely, wrong is when it's getting on towards Illuminations in Epcot, for a group to sit at a table in Mexico without purchasing food, and just sit there until Illuminations is over - a good hour.:mad:

I say, if you're going to sit and eat, it's not really an issue to let a spouse or older child hold the table.:)

kaytieeldr
09-10-2007, 11:20 AM
That is not necessarily true. What if I got there first but get in the slow line and someone comes in after me but gets in a quicker moving line. I always pick the wrong line! What does it say in the rules about that?;)

Um, well, let's forget the word "rules" and just use "common sense". Okay, now - common sense says, the person who has and is ready to eat their food first is the one who should get the available table. Common sense. If the other person gets in a faster line than you, but then goes to the condiment bar, while you get your food and head directly for that table, common sense dictates that you should be the person to sit and eat at that table (although if your party and their party total less than the number of seats, common sense would also indicate that you offer to share the table)

kaytieeldr
09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I think it's ok to sit there while you wait for your food order. They are available to all paying customers of the CS establishment on a first come first served basis without knocking people over to get the table.
Conversely, despite being in line, you're not actually a paying customer until you order and, well, pay.

Samtastic
09-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I honestly think it has to do with party size. No one wants to wait in line behind a family of 6 with small kids waiting anxiously, weaving in between legs and running in front of those with food (Not that all parents can't control their kids--it just seems that way sometimes :secret: ), However, when you're the one searching for a table and you see one occupied by a lone child, no parents in sight, it's frustrating. I like the suggestions of one person ordering or two if your party is small--which IS efficient, and then those not ordering wash up and then get a table and condiments. Now I personally wouldn't want to leave my child guarding a table, so unless they are old enough, I'd take them with me or I'd stay seated with them.

Also this seems to be an issue of which side you're on--on line, you want shorter lines and less indecisiveness, and less endangering of the food. After you get food, you want empty tables. It's a catch-22.

Of course if you need to strength and space to carry trays, maybe they could either stand in line with you, or nearby.

timbeccaf
09-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Um, well, let's forget the word "rules" and just use "common sense". Okay, now - common sense says, the person who has and is ready to eat their food first is the one who should get the available table. Common sense. If the other person gets in a faster line than you, but then goes to the condiment bar, while you get your food and head directly for that table, common sense dictates that you should be the person to sit and eat at that table (although if your party and their party total less than the number of seats, common sense would also indicate that you offer to share the table)

Um.. Ok, I guess I need to say I was kidding about the mention of "rules" in DizneyRox's post, but thanks for the lesson on common sense.

PirateLover
09-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I guess my bf and I are really selfish. We have always done this at fast food places, whether in WDW or not, and whether the restraunt is crowded or not. Sometimes we will wait together but after we both decide what we want and get close to the front of the line, my bf often tells me "Why don't you go get the condiments and sit down, we both don't need to stand here anymore." I will go off and get our condiments and find a table. The max that I have waited for him is probably 10 minutes because the person right in front of him was arguing with the CM about what he could order on the DDP.

Now that he has a bad back (degenerative disc disease) and can't stand for very long, I am the one telling him to sit and rest. The thing is, you never know WHY people are saving a table. This thread was started because of an assumption that was wrong for the most part. I can see how at first sight it might be considered a selfish activity but honestly the only place where I've seen overcrowding as a big problem is Cosmic Rays, and maybe once at Columbia Harbour House. Generally the CS places have plenty of tables in my experience.

I'm sorry that you've had such bad experiences with people cutting you off (which is never appropriate) and I can understand the other point of view that seems to be the minority in this thread, but I think it is wrong for anyone to lump a group of people together and label them as immoral, selfish, me-first, whatever. I didn't realize there was such a fine line between "common sense" and "selfishness".

Figment!
09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
:cop: Moderator Note :cop:

Okay folks, it appears this thread has run its due course.

INTERCOT at is first and foremost a Vacation Planning Community. While it can be useful to share opinions on various aspects of of a typical Disney vacation, the ethical/common sense practices of finding seats at a Counter Service Dining location is not a core issue in planning.

As has been stated in the thread, there are no rules or practices described by Disney as to how Guests should obtain seats. Therefore, only individual's points of view and circumstances can dictate to them how they should proceed in selecting a seat(s).

While this thread has served as a medium to share these personal views, it has repeatedly verged onto and crossed-over the line into argumentative responses and personal attacks.

As the argumentative comments and personal attacks appear to be continuing with no resolution to the original topic of the thread, this thread is closed for discussion.

Thank you to everyone who shared their personal opinion, but it is time to move on.

The INTERCOT Dining Staff