PDA

View Full Version : Oh Noooooo!

Gottaluvgoof
09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
OK, here's the deal. We're leaving for our trip in 3 days. The problem is, people in the family are popping up sick left and right. It's a stomach virus. My DD14 and DS11, have not been sick yet. I am SCARED TO DEATH they are next to be ill :ill: I'm pushing orange juice. Lots of vitamin C. Any other suggestions?

mook3y
09-04-2007, 06:04 PM
OK, here's the deal. We're leaving for our trip in 3 days. The problem is, people in the family are popping up sick left and right. It's a stomach virus. My DD14 and DS11, have not been sick yet. I am SCARED TO DEATH they are next to be ill :ill: I'm pushing orange juice. Lots of vitamin C. Any other suggestions?

Yikes! Spend the 3 days at a hotel?

DisneyDudet
09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
WASH YOUR HANDS! This is the SINGLE most important thing to do about this.

I would also get some disinfecting spray and spray banisters, door knobs, sink faucets, toilets, etc to help kill the virus.

But really, eating healthy foods, drinking plenty of water, a good daily vitamin, and washing your hands religiously will keep everyone healthy!

Hope everyone stays healthy for your trip!

mook3y
09-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Hand sanitizer would probably be a good idea too!

Yes, hope everyone recovers quickly and no one else comes down with it!

mickey&missy
09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Like the others said wash your hands all the time!! Also, lysol and bleach! Wash the linens in HOT water and dry on HIGH heat.

You may also want to by some airborne to take. Its mega doses of vitamin C!

Good luck!

Jenemmy
09-05-2007, 07:54 AM
I remember that this time last year, there were a ton of posts similar to this. I posted one myself! It must be the whole start of the school year and getting reacquainted with school germs!

That being said, don't be afraid to pop by your Dr's office if anyone starts to feel a little off. Last year, my DD who was just 18 month old got her first ever cold the DAY before her first trip to WDW. I went to the Dr and she got meds that made her feel better overnight and the trip was salvaged. By the time we were walking down Main Street USA -- the meds were doing their job and she was a ball of energy.

Also -- and BELIEVE me, I know this is easier said than done -- but do try not to stress over it terribly. Stress can take a toll and sort of become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Follow the great advice already posted, get excited about your trip and be hopeful that all will be magical :mickey: Keep us posted!!!

iheartmickey
09-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Everyone is giving great suggestions!!

I also wanted to tell you to stop by your local vitamin retailer. Their are tons of wellness formulas you can take and give to kids that will boost your immune system and get rid of any virus you have. (like Airborne ... although I don't think it's the best ... their are better)

I've made it a habit to give DD a childrens wellness formula for 2 weeks prior to our trips and then through the trips. She always seemed to get sick every time we would fly .... but not anymore!

cheshirecollector
09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Make sure everyone gets enough sleep also. The healthier they are, the easier it will be for them to fight off any possible illness.

And, don't forget to take any of the things you're using with you on the trip (vitamin C, any medicine, hand sanitizer, etc.)

mouseketeer mom
09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Oh I understand!
My son woke up with a 104 degree fever two days before our trip last January. I was a wreck. He was vomiting non stop and very weak. I was a mess with worry that my girls were going to get it too.
He was a little better on our travel day, but we couldn't go full speed ahead for a couple of days. My girls never got it. We all started drinking airborne after my son got sick. I usually don't do stuff like that but I was panicked. Did it help? Who knows? But no one else got sick.
On our first Disney trip with the kids in 2004, my son did come down with a fever and vomiting at Ohanas the very first nite! I was so upset. But again, in two days he was better.
You will do fine.
There's something about that Florida air that helps any kind of brewing virus too!
Wishes for good health!

k_reile
09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
How soon should you start taking a product like airborne before a trip to avoid getting sick. DH and I leave in 17 days...I bought the airborne but I was just going to take it before we get on the plane...I did not realize you need to start taking it soo soon...this is our first time with the product.

jpH/keD
09-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Dont forget to pack Immodium if its the true stomach virus! We always take it w/ us when we are drinking different water! At the first sign of illness we start taking it!:sick: It will help fast! Enjoy your trip! Good luck! Say hi to Mickey!:mickey:

DisneyDudet
09-05-2007, 07:06 PM
How soon should you start taking a product like airborne before a trip to avoid getting sick. DH and I leave in 17 days...I bought the airborne but I was just going to take it before we get on the plane...I did not realize you need to start taking it soo soon...this is our first time with the product.

I usually start taking it when I don't feel "right" or about 3 days before my trips. If I'm not feeling well, I'll take it twice a day, but if its just before a trip, I take it once a day, usually at night.

Dont forget to pack Immodium if its the true stomach virus! We always take it w/ us when we are drinking different water! At the first sign of illness we start taking it!:sick: It will help fast! Enjoy your trip! Good luck! Say hi to Mickey!:mickey:

The problem with anti-diarrheals, is you don't want to keep the virus in. It is the body's response to flush the virus out of the system. If diarrhea is going on for more than 48 hours, then I would take LOW doses of the med, and gradually increase it.

Also, excitement in children can cause diarrhea... nifty little tip for pre trip excitement!!

Another point, don't give children Pepto Bismol, as it has aspirin in it. We all know not to give aspirin to children when they may have a virus, but not a lot of people know Pepto Bismol can cause Reye's Syndrome in children as well.

Just a little tidbit from your friendly neighborhood nurse!

Eat right, get plenty of sleep, and WASH YOUR HANDS!

Oh... and have fun!

Gottaluvgoof
09-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks everybody for all the tips! I actually ended up getting sick yesterday but feel much better today. My DS11, woke up this morning not feeling well. I kept him home from school and he is sleeping. I'm hoping a good day of rest today will help him.