PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Inn in Review

SBETigg
09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
San Angel Inn- Lunch (1 pm) Monday, 8/20

Mexico is one of my favorite pavilions, for the amazing atmosphere, neat shops, and the fact that they have an actual ride. I like eating in Mexico as an excuse to take a seat and soak up the atmosphere for longer than it takes to shop. My kids insist on eating in Mexico, so there’s really no choice anyway. We go to WDW, we eat at the San Angel Inn. Every time.

This time, it all seems a little more festive somehow. The seating is too close together, as usual, but the colorful carved chairs and smoking volcano put me in the mood to shout ole. I don’t, of course, because that would be weird. Our friendly server tends us as soon as we’re seated, takes our drink order, and brings us chips and salsa. I’m encouraged to find that the chips and salsa (while still standard Tostitos products) seem a little fresher and tastier than they were in the past. By the time my Mango margarita comes and the mariachi band begins to play, I’m a happy, relaxed woman. (Yes, there is a mariachi band. No, it’s not just the margarita talking). The frozen mango margarita is not the same as the icy ones served in a stand out front but actually tastes like fresh pureed mango. Really yummy.

The mariachi band plays out front, near the shops. Shari, you asked if the band could play something for a family event? I believe they could, but due to closeness of tables, I think the performance would still be out front and not in the actual restaurant area. They seemed to come back and play something every twenty minutes or so. I don’t recall seeing so much of the mariachi band in the past but it was quite nice and really added to the pavilion’s charm.
On to the food.

We sampled all of the appetizer options. I got the Ceviche (seafood marinated in lime juice with tomatoes, chiles, onions and cilantro) and was really pleased with it. Very spicy and a proper firm texture to the dish, mostly bay scallops. No one else wanted to try my ceviche, so I had it all to myself.

The DH and DS opted for the Sope Tradicional (grilled soft corn shell filled with chicken and refried beans covered with a fresh green tomato sauce, fresh cheese and onions, served over a bed of lettuce). Again, a good choice and a good sized (not too big or too small) appetizer portion.

The DD tried the Sopa Azteca(traditional tortilla soup with avocado, cheese and pasilla pepper ) which had a great flavor, chicken broth-ish, without being overly spicy.

The DD (not a fan of spice) also chose the seemingly safe Tacos Al Carbon (flour tortillas filled with grilled chicken, peppers, onions, guacamole, and sour cream) for her main dish. She was a bit disappointed. While it was not too spicy, it just seemed a little bland and boring, not quite what she expected, with an abundance of onions.

The DS made a much better choice with Sirloin Asado Con Chilaquiles (grilled sirloin steak with Chilaquiles- layers of fried corn tortilla, green tomatillo sauce, topped with fresh cheese, sour cream, onions- and served with Mexican rice and beans). The Chilaquiles were tasty, interesting, and something new for us. The steak was prepared appropriately. The rice and beans were typical of Mex and Tex Mex restaurants everywhere, nothing special but not bad.

The DH probably would have preferred the DS’s dish, but wasn’t entirely unhappy with his Plato Mexicano(grilled beef taco, chicken enchilada and cheese quesadilla, served with black refried beans, guacamole and Mexican rice) offering fairly standard Mexican restaurant fare.

My choice was one of the chef’s selections, which was no longer a pork dish but instead offered a boneless chicken breast with mole sauce served with a cheese stuffed poblano pepper, rice, and beans. No stranger to traditional Mexican food, I love a good mole, and the sauce lived up to expectation. Unfortunately, my chicken was rubber, overcooked, and practically inedible. I would have preferred chunks of chicken stewed in the sauce over an obvious pre-grilled then microwaved breast. Fortunately, the roasted poblano pepper oozing with cheese and fresh veggies made up for my disappointment in the chicken.

We were all too full for dessert but ordered a few flans for the table anyway. The flan was very good-- creamy and firm, with a nice light sugar syrup. But I could only eat a few bites.
Service was good, prompt, and helpful. Soft drinks were refilled frequently and our server even fetched a flashlight to help a fellow patron find the battery to the BlackBerry that he dropped during his meal.

On a scale of:
-Highly Recommended: Must try
-Recommended: A good one to try.
-Not bad: You might give it a try.
-Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

I’m torn between Recommended and Not Bad. Overall, the food was good with a few misses—but there are a lot of good food choices in World Showcase and it can be so hard to pick one over another. If you like Mexican food and you’re willing to take the good with the occasional bad, it’s a good choice. But it won’t exceed expectation and is likely on par with your standard local Mexican choices with the exception of the amazing atmosphere and frozen real fruit margaritas, which make it worth further consideration.

spinnerf
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree with you, its a good restaurant but as many in Disney the ambiance is the real draw, not necessarily the quality of the food, although in my experience here the food is good.

robyn221
09-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the review. I've always been tempted to try the San Angel Inn each time we've visited Epcot, but, like you said, there are so many good restaurants in WS -- and we live in an area with more than its fair share of Tex-Mex eateries. I've always opted to try other restaurants that serve a cuisine not so easily available in my "neck of the bayou." However, your description of the mango 'rita has given me something to think about for our next trip a the end of the month:cool:!

Robyn:mickey:

murphy1
09-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Aha, I will remember that about the band. And mango, it is!!! I was perusing the menu the other day and want what you had, plus creme brulee. My 5 yo just asked me if she was going to eat at the Three Caballeros restaurant, so she will be happy. I'm enjoying your reports, keep 'em coming!!

tinksmom02
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the great review!

I've never really wanted to try San Angel, as I'm not a fan of Mexican food, but your review was so descriptive, I may have to try it someday!

Jared
09-05-2007, 12:45 AM
I love good Mexican food and always consider trying San Angel Inn. Each trip, I plan to have dinner at the restaurant but always refrain. So many items on the menu contain chorizo, a particular ingredient my family does not eat.

Good choice ordering the ceviche, though. It's a wonderful dish when prepared well.

SBETigg
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I love good Mexican food and always consider trying San Angel Inn. Each trip, I plan to have dinner at the restaurant but always refrain. So many items on the menu contain chorizo, a particular ingredient my family does not eat.

Good choice ordering the ceviche, though. It's a wonderful dish when prepared well.

I only saw one dish that mentioned chorizo. You may want to investigate and rethink this one. Of course, this was at lunch, so maybe the dinner menu has some chorizo, but my impression was that most dishes don't have it, only one or two.

January-2007
09-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the review. :mickey:

iheartmickey
09-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I've really been wanting to drag my family here but they are all picky eaters. I might just have to try it alone. It sounds delicious!

Thank you for the excellent review! :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
09-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Thank you so much for this review. I've always wanted to try this restaurant despite its reviews not always being so good. I will go there with an open mind when we go for lunch on our trip. :marg:

omearac
09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
We love San Angel. The food is not authentic, but it is very good. We love the shops and the ride, but most of all we love eating by the volcano. :thumbsup:

Crow
09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
i like Mexican. n i think SA has the best atmosphere, but i havent eaten here last few times and havent bookd for this trip. i might hit the CS outside. i do like gettin :marg: and walkin thru the place though

Jared
09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I only saw one dish that mentioned chorizo. You may want to investigate and rethink this one. Of course, this was at lunch, so maybe the dinner menu has some chorizo, but my impression was that most dishes don't have it, only one or two.
I always check the dinner menu. Perhaps the selections are different for lunch. I'll take a look.

disneydrmr
09-06-2007, 08:41 AM
We skipped this one when we went cause we figured we can get Mexican 'back home'.. but after reading about the atmosphere and the way you describe it - we might just have to try it out next time we're down there! Thanks for reviewing!

Natazu
09-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Another great review. You could do this for a living.

SBETigg
09-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Another great review. You could do this for a living.

Thanks, Jym! Wouldn't that be a fun job? I could get used to it.

MsMin
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Great review. I haven't eaten there in so so long. It used to be on our list of "must do" initially b/c it was easier to get a ressie there when they first opened. Back in the days when you had to go to the screens in the SE pavilion the morning of to get a ressie. The last time we ate there I had a horrible meal and the service was slow. Back in the days of toddlers when waiting an hour at the table would stress most families with little ones. My food was so hard and dry like it had been under a heat lamp for the hour we waited. I do realize that it could have been a fluke; but, so often their service is hit or miss. I too am not a fan of Chorizo. I shall have to try it again sometime soon. My dd would love the mango margarita.

LudwigVonDrake
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
San Angel Inn- Lunch (1 pm) Monday, 8/20...The DS made a much better choice with Sirloin Asado Con Chilaquiles (grilled sirloin steak with Chilaquiles- layers of fried corn tortilla, green tomatillo sauce, topped with fresh cheese, sour cream, onions- and served with Mexican rice and beans). The Chilaquiles were tasty, interesting, and something new for us. The steak was prepared appropriately. The rice and beans were typical of Mex and Tex Mex restaurants everywhere, nothing special but not bad.

I had this for lunch in July and it was excellent :tasty:

Eeyore's My Favorite
09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
i do like gettin :marg: and walkin thru the place though

For us the outside Cantina area is the only place to eat. The last few times we've eaten @ SA the food was absolutely horrible, the service the pits and so crowded you couldn't even walk between the tables. Only good side was that we were on the DDP & didn't have to actually pay for whatever it was that ended up on our table. None of which was very edible. This time around it's the margaritas outside along with any CS munchies we feel like when we make it to that side of Epcot. :marg: :marg: