PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing crowds.....

disney crazy family
09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok, I thought September was supposed to be a slower time of year for Disney. We are going to be there on the 16th of September for a week. I was just playing around with several websites and I see there are hardly no rooms available at any of the resorts for the week we will be there. I know with the free dining I can expect it to be a little bit busier than usual, but now after seeing this and reading posts that alot of you guys are going to be there too, I am second guessing about how uncrowded the parks will be. What do ya'll think? Am I dilluting myself thinking it will not be that busy?

#1donaldfan
09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
It'll be busy, but I can't see it being any busier than when we went in June / July......now that was busy....actually the busiest we have EVER seen it....we still had a great time, didn't encounter any rude CM's, didn't have to wait too long for ANY ride....so I feel like you'll be fine and I'm sure you'll have a great time.....

WDWizard
09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
September (post-Labor Day) isn't a busy time at WDW. Of course, weekends are always busy but for the most part the parks should not be busy since kids are back in school. The over booked hotels could be due to the WDW Triathlon on September 23rd, as well as the Halloween Party at MK taking place on various dates.
:thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
We went mid-Sept in 03 and 06 and had no problems with any crowds. Very short lines if any and we waited only about 5 or 10 mins if there was a wait. Someone said last year that they had the free dining plan then too. If so, we didn't have any problems getting into restaurants. We didn't have any ADRs and were able to get in everywhere. Now the WDWizard mentions the Triathlon......companies book Disney resorts and don't go to the park. I worked for a company (that has over 1500 stores) that every Sept. had their annual store manager meeting at WDW. The employees couldn't visit the parks or add vacation time to their stay. It was all work and no WDW play. :mickey:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
09-04-2007, 01:29 AM
. It was all work and no WDW play. :mickey:

:jaw: I couldn't IMAGINE! That would be the biggest tease EVER!!

Chris :hatter:

WTDing
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
We were there in Sept 06 and the crowds were not really that large. We are heading back on the 15th and anticipate a similar situation.

Free Dining does book up a lot of the Disney resort hotels, but even if they are all full the crowds will be smaller than in the summer because all of the off site hotels are likely to be at low capacity. Since there aren't any incentives like free dining for these hotels they will not be at summer levels and the parks will still be less crowded.

WedWay Peoplemover
09-04-2007, 12:28 PM
One thing I've noticed...

With all the "off season" promotions ... there is not nearly the dropoff in crowds as there has been in the past...

Key is just avoid the morning Extra Magic Hours.

As a cast member at Disney's Animal Kingdom, I'm still always shocked at how much busier the days are when there is a morning Extra Magic Hour!

spinnerf
09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
The week you mentioned 9/16 is sandwiched beteen 2 Jewish holidays, which at least here in NYC give schools 2 long weekends in a row. I cant imagine though that too many would parlay that into a week long holiday, especially with school just starting, but you never know. No matter it will nevere be as bad as the summer.

TBY2225
09-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I was worried about the same thing last year during this same time. Crowds were very manageable and most waits were only 5-10 mins. As meationed above, most people will be staying on site to get the free dining. Don't worry to much, most of the general public know nothing about it. Seems like us who really love Disney and are members on these boards find out about that stuff and that is why it seems so many of us are taking part of it!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
The week you mentioned 9/16 is sandwiched beteen 2 Jewish holidays, which at least here in NYC give schools 2 long weekends in a row. I cant imagine though that too many would parlay that into a week long holiday, especially with school just starting, but you never know. No matter it will nevere be as bad as the summer.

I was just curious what dates you guys have off for the Jewish holidays, as we only have off 9/13. They have school the 14th. We are out on Long Island.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
What do ya'll think? Am I dilluting myself thinking it will not be that busy?

Maybe I can make you feel a little better. :)

Free Dining has definately brought more crowds to WDW in September. The parks are not that busy though. Think walk on or 15-20 minute wait times. Even EE was a 5 minute wait last year and we walked on Splash three times in the morning. The only exception is Soarin. I have never seen a walk on for that ride though.;)
The resorts and table service restaurants will seem busy.
Since FD has started the parks do seem to be busier then we are used to. But, we have been going in September since 1996. I think families like ours are the ones that will notice such a difference with the FD crowds.
If you have never gone in September, I think (and hope since we arrive 9/13 :D) that you will be pleasantly surprised!
Put it this way..We can't take part in Free Dining and we still chose to go 9/13-9/22.
Now lets hope for both our sake that things will not be drastically different this September.:mickey:

spinnerf
09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I could totaly be wrong because my daughter is not of school age yet, but I think they have the 14th for rosh hashanah and the 21 for yom kippur. I really could be wrong though.

disney crazy family
09-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks.... I feel a little better now. 11 more days!! :party:
Wedway, what do you mean stay clear from EMH? Our plan is to take advantage of those days, but move on to another park once the EMH park starts getting busy. I was reading that for AK (unofficial guide to Disney) that I should avoid EMH morning all together because everyone else goes and the few rides that are open during EMH are just as busy (if not busier) than during normal operating times. Do you notice this?

LoriMistress
09-04-2007, 07:44 PM
During the last two weeks of August are normally low crowds, but since free dining, the parks have been packed! It's hard for people to get rooms and you have to book all of your ADRs at 180 Days advance if you want to be able to eat at any restaurant. I've heard every restaurant turning people away who didn't have an ADR, and the restaurants were packed!!!

As long as you planned your vacation in advance, booked your ADRs, and be at the parks at opening you'll be okay.

BronxTigger
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
From the official NYC Schools Calendar:
No School September 13 & 14 for Rosh Hashanah

We do not get Yom Kippur off this year. The next day off is October 8 for Columbus Day.

cal5755
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Here in MD the kids do not get any of the holidays off. The first day off from school after labor day is in October.

FYI - I went in sept 03 and 05 and the crowds were low..in 05 I maded reservations for dining when we arrived with no problems. This year I made all ADR's as soon as I was 180 days away... my cousin who is also going with us with her family tried to make reservations 3 weeks ago and she had a very difficult time and had to go with odd times because everything was booked and couldn't get anything at the GF at all. I don't know if it is just because there is 7 of them to make reservations for though. I booked the other 9 of us early because of the high numbers in our party.

I am thinking it will be more crowded this year... I know 2 other families in town who are going the same week as us. I don't think it will be terrible though... I still don't anticipate huge wait times. At least I am hoping not!

irish1967
09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I haven't been in September so I cannot comment on the crowd levels.

However, you mention that you've been looking on various web-sites...I think that I read somewhere that the web-sites have only a certain number of rooms available for people to reserve, so a web-site being "sold-out" may just be reflective of the web-site, not the crowd levels of WDW. More people are computer savvy and comfortable enough with the internet so more people are making reservations over the internet instead of calling or utilizing a travel agent.

I may be completely wrong, though :mickey:

SBETigg
09-05-2007, 01:30 PM
We stopped in for a drink in Mizner's at the GF one evening during our August vacation and chatted with the bartender about crowds. He said that the end of August can actually be busy, but more in the parks not in the lounges. Come September, that all changes. The lounges are mobbed and the parks are quieter. He likes September because it is convention time and conventioners apparently drink more and tip well. Bottom line: the resorts may be booked as far as rooms and restaurants, but the parks may not reflect that.

Stickey
09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Crowd levels in the park should be tolerable, as I expect it to be moderately busy. TS locations will be particularly busy.

Crowds were larger in late September than mid September, but not too bad. Wait times at FW can be 20-60 minutes during the evenings. Soarin is always packed. Yes, crowds are increasing in September, but they are not near summer/peak levels.