PDA

View Full Version : Olympus SLR E-510

Magic Smiles
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Has anyone had an opportunity to use the new Olympus SLR E510 digital camera. I am looking to purchase a SLR digital camera before our upcoming Dec Disney trip and can't decide on which one.
My mind was sort of set on the Canon Rebel XTi until the Olympus was highly recommended to me. The one particular thing that I like about the Olympus is that it has a fireworks setting, which apparently is not common on digital SLR cameras.
All comments appreciated.

tinktude
09-03-2007, 09:11 PM
We just bought the Nikon D40X. It has lots of settings. Just be careful with the fireworks setting, eventhough the camera has the setting, you still have to hold absolutely still while you take the pic or it will be blurry.

We have a kodak with a fireworks setting and had a hard time getting the pictures to turn out.

I will say that the Nikon we have is very nice, I got some great shot of The Blue Angles (fighter pilot show) this weekend. If you want to see some I can send you some shots.

lovetheprincesses
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I think you are going to have to have a tripod to get the fireworks with or without a "fireworks" setting. I have the Canon XTI Digital Rebel and LOVE it.

Noah's Helper
09-04-2007, 08:51 AM
The one particular thing that I like about the Olympus is that it has a fireworks setting, which apparently is not common on digital SLR cameras.

A dedicated fireworks setting is not necessary. All you need is manual mode with a "bulb" option for the shutter (and a tripod). I'd also recommend a remote shutter release. That's how this shot (http://home.hiwaay.net/~btdarby/wdw_2005/mnsshp/pages/n051011_1116.html) was done (with a Nikon D70s).

JanetMegan
09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
While I have not used that specific model, I have had three different Olympus digital cameras and I always get tons of compliments from people on the quality of my pictures!

Flower
09-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I am new to D-SLR's, but I love my Nikon D-70 as well, I have not heard of any personal reviews on the Olympus.

When I purchased mine I was deciding between the Nikon D-70 & Canon D-Rebel XTi - my decision was made when a co-work of DH's upgraded to the D-80 and sold me the 70 for an steal! For the quality the D-70 produces, I would have gladly paid full price for it.

prprincess
09-13-2007, 10:44 AM
As usual, I'm late reading this post. But did you go ahead and buy the E-510? I ask because I just bought an E-500 a few months ago and I love it. I'm still learning the ins and outs of using a dSLR, but the pics that I've taken so far are amazing.

I read a ton of reviews on it before I bought it, which were all excellent of course, and really, it was the only dSLR that I could afford--especially considering the fact that my kit came with two lenses. I don't regret my purchase at all, so if you haven't yet, go for it!! :thumbsup: