PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Questions

Magic Smiles
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
My step-daughter and family have just booked a cruise for the Western Caribbean cruise departing 12 Jan 08.
I have a couple of questions on her behalf.
What are the temperatures like at that time of the year and is smoking allowed any where on the ship?

ElenitaB
09-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Smoking is an easier answer than the weather!

From the Disney cruiseline site:

Smoking is permitted only in designated areas of the ship. Guests are allowed to smoke on open decks (except near Mickey's Pool) and on the verandah of their stateroom. Inside, smoking is permitted within Sessions in the Beat Street entertainment district on the Disney Magic®, within The Cadillac Lounge in the Route 66 entertainment district on the Disney Wonder®, and at the bar area in Diversions on both ships.

Weather varies from year to year. Maybe our resident meteorologist can came along and share his wisdom!

ElenitaB
09-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Here's a link (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/BFXX0005?from=search) to Weather Channel's average temps for Nassau. If you enter the city you're interested in, click on the link that says "Averages and Records."

To make that a bit easier, here's the averages for the ports the Western itinerary visits:
Key West (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USFL0244?from=search)
Grand Cayman (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/CJXX0001?from=search)
Cozumel (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/MXQR0074?from=search)

For Castaway Cay, refer to the average temps for Nassau.

Hope that helps!

Magic Smiles
09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank you so much ElenitaB as you have answered both questions.
They will be happy with all answers.

DisneyDudet
09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
We went just about the same time your friends are, but we went on the Eastern. IT was chilly in Orlando and for the first few days until we got to St. Maarten. IT was almost HOT there! St. Thomas was the same. We needed shade at the beach to cool off, but it was comfortable in the sun. The water was cool, but it didn't stop anyone! Castaway Cay was a bit cold in the morning. Serenity Bay was COLD! We opted for the last chairs at the Family Beach... where the wind wasn't hitting us directly. It was VERY nice there. Again, the water was cold, but we got in.

The seas were choppy sometimes, but nothing too horribly. We only had one day that it was pretty bad, but it calmed down mid day.

As for the smoking. People did it anywhere outside, except it was VERY windy anytime we went on deck, so it was interesting watching them try to light their cigarettes. If you could suggest something to the smokers in the group, to try not to be down wind from non smoking parties. It helps out a lot. There were many families that tried to move away from the non smokers b/c of the wind and we were very thankful.

Magic Smiles
09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
As for the smoking. People did it anywhere outside, except it was VERY windy anytime we went on deck, so it was interesting watching them try to light their cigarettes. If you could suggest something to the smokers in the group, to try not to be down wind from non smoking parties. It helps out a lot. There were many families that tried to move away from the non smokers b/c of the wind and we were very thankful.

I am a definite NON-Smoker (never smoked, bad allergies to smoke also) and they know how I feel about smoke and so will hopefully respect other non-smokers. I know they do around me. I can only hope that they might quit the habit by then. Personally I am surprised that you are allowed to even smoke on the ship. I would have expected only a few designated areas that were well ventilated.

DisneyDudet
09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I am a definite NON-Smoker (never smoked, bad allergies to smoke also) and they know how I feel about smoke and so will hopefully respect other non-smokers. I know they do around me. I can only hope that they might quit the habit by then. Personally I am surprised that you are allowed to even smoke on the ship. I would have expected only a few designated areas that were well ventilated.

Well, the open air on the deck is very ventilated! I agree, they should have smoking areas. But its really hard to regulate. Don't worry, they won't be smoking in your dining rooms! We really didn't have much of a problem, most were mindful of others.