PDA

View Full Version : Sould we buy points at more than one DVC resort?

Disney Crazy
09-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Are there any benefits to owning points at more than one DVC resort? I've noticed that some people own points at several different resorts and I do not understand why.:confused: Are there benefits to buying points at more than one resort? How many points would you need at each location?:unsure:

DVC Mike
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
The primary reason to own at more than one resort is so you can have the 11-month home resort booking advantage at a particular resort.

For example, if you wanted to book BCV during the F&W festival, or VWL at Christmas, or get a point-saving Std view room at BWV, you may find it difficult at the 7-mo mark. Having the home resort booking advantage gives you a better chance of getting the reservation you want.

I own at my four favorite resorts, and I have no difficulty booking the vacations I want, when I want, and at the resort I want.

J.T.Toad
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Just Curious Mike
Have you had a problem booking in the 11 month window in one resort but useing the points from the others?

JT

DVC Mike
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Just Curious Mike
Have you had a problem booking in the 11 month window in one resort but useing the points from the others?

JT

I've never had a problem booking any of my home resorts at the 11-mo window. I've booked OKW and SSR at the 7-mo window, and didn't have a problem. I haven't stayed at VB or HHI yet.

MinnieMommie
09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Just Curious Mike

JT

I believe you can not use points from a non home resort at the 11 month window to add on at the time of booking a home DVC property at the home resort's 11 mth window. You will have to wait until the 7mth window to add on to the initial home resort reservation made at the 11 mth window. :mickey:

DVC Mike
09-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I believe you can not use points from a non home resort at the 11 month window to add on at the time of booking a home DVC property at the home resort's 11 mth window. You will have to wait until the 7mth window to add on to the initial home resort reservation made at the 11 mth window. :mickey:

Yes, you can only book a resort at the 11-mo window with the points you own at that particular resort.

You can combine your points from all your home resorts at the 7-mo window and use them to book any DVC resort.

Rather than just buying at one resort and waiting until the 7-mo mark to book another resort, I bought points at my four favorite resorts to gain the 11-mo home resort booking advantage at all four.

J.T.Toad
09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Hello Mike
I guess I still dont understand

Rather than just buying at one resort and waiting until the 7-mo mark to book another resort, I bought points at my four favorite resorts to gain the 11-mo home resort booking advantage at all four.

If you have points from one DVC you can make reservations at the 11 month window and borrow the remaining from another?

JT

Maleficent's Dad
09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Hello Mike
I guess I still dont understand

If you have points from one DVC you can make reservations at the 11 month window and borrow the remaining from another?

JT
JT,

First off, NO, you cannot "borrow" from a non-home resort at the 11 month window. You can only use "home" resort points at the 11 month window.

Here's how it works:
Two scenarios -
1. You own 300 points - all at SSR
2. You own 300 points - 150 at BWV, 150 at VWL

You want to vacation in December, let's say.
For scenario #1, in February (11 months to the checkout date), you can book your entire vacation at SSR. OR you can wait until May to book at any resort with all 300 points.

For scenario #2: Let's say you want to stay at the BWV using all your points. In February, you can book as long a stay as permitted using 150 points (your 'home' resort). Then, to use the remaining 150 points, you have to wait until May (this assuming you want all 300 points at the BWV).

We have points at 2 resorts - SSR and BWV.
I will tell you this - it's sometimes a problem, and it's sometimes not a problem. It depends on WHEN you travel - busier times (as in the entire month of December) are TOUGH to get unless you have your home resort booked at 11 months.

I wouldn't give you any advice unless you asked specifically for it. People feel strongly about where they have their points - some say to disperse them, others say to group them; still others favor numerous smaller contracts.

I'll just say you need to research it as much as possible. Don't let one person's opinion sway you either way - for some people, ONE resort is the way to go. For others, several resorts are the way to go.

We have 2 "homes," and I will say again that at times it's worked fine and at times it's been a major hassle. :unsure:

J.T.Toad
09-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Hello Frank
Thanks for clarifying this for me.
JT