PDA

View Full Version : DME Driver Soliciting Tips

kakn7294
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
For those who read my recent trip reports, you would have seen this on the final day's report. The DME bus driver on the way back to the airport was soliciting tips. He talked about his DD's word of the month - charity - and how we should all give of our money or time to charity. He listed at least 20+ charities that would accept donations and then proceeded to tell us that he he accepts tips and donates 50% of all his tip money to his favorite charity - breast cancer research. I found it very tacky and was actually appalled that he so blatently solicited tips. I thought of it too late to tell him that he wasn't receiving a tip from me because I was going to donate the entire amount of the tip to a charity, not just 50%. What I want to know is this: Is it okay for the DME drivers (or any other employee for that matter) to solicit tips like he did?

DizneyRox
09-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, they are NOT supposed to solicit tips, but I think that driver is in a very gray area. If he said, "I donate 50% of all my tips to charity" he's stating a fact (we can debate if it's fact in another thread), but if he said "I accept tips and I donate 50% to a charity" then I would consider that solicitation.

I think the drivers are trying to skirt the requirement about not openly asking for tips.

kakn7294
09-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, from what I recall, he didn't actually ask for tips and he didn't say he accepts tips (although there is a sign in all the buses I've been on that say that gratuities are accepted) so I guess he's within policy. It still just really turned me off on wanting to tip him though. IMO, he was more or less trying to guilt everyone into tipping more generously than they would have anyway or tipping because they normally wouldn't have.

sleepingbooty
09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I think we must have had the same driver last year - we got the exact same spiel. It made me feel exactly as it did you, and therefore we didn't tip him. So I'm thinking his tactic might actually be working against him!

DizneyRox
09-03-2007, 07:14 PM
... although there is a sign in all the buses I've been on that say that gratuities are accepted) so I guess he's within policy. ...
Really, a sign ON the DME busses? WOW, I didn't think they allowed them.

It sounds like he is playing within the rules, using DD "words of the week" is pretty pathetic. Sounds like it is backfiring, good on him!

Beast_fanatic
09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Keep in mind that the DME drivers are actually Mears employees, not Disney employees.

Before Magical Express was in place, Mears drivers made a good portion of their income through tips. When Magical Express came to be, their incomes were seriously impacted. So, to try to help, they were permitted to put the signs in the windows.

kakn7294
09-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I have no problem tipping anyone who is allowed to receive a tip and has provided a level of service for which they deserve a tip. But the way we had to sit there and listen to this guy's speech about charity made me very uncomfortable - almost like I should feel guilty for spending so much money to enjoy my vacation at WDW.

Lacy
09-03-2007, 11:46 PM
That is definitely a turn-off. That would make me feel exactly as it did you. I would be less likely to give a tip than before. I find tipping to be a tricky subject on "shuttles" in general. Having never ridden the magical express, I was planning on tipping at least on the way back when they help with the luggage.

In general, do most people tip on DME?

DISNEYFIX
09-04-2007, 05:00 AM
My only problem is that if you don't tip then when you get off the bus and on your merry way home is your luggage too? Paranoid New Yorker Syndrome.

DizneyRox
09-04-2007, 06:43 AM
My only problem is that if you don't tip then when you get off the bus and on your merry way home is your luggage too? Paranoid New Yorker Syndrome.
If you use a participating airline you luggage gets from the resort to the airport via a different company. DMA only handles your luggage if you don't use a participating airline.

Some on the way from the airport to Disney. Regardless of the airline it's handled by someone else, UNLESS you pull it from baggage claim and bring it with you.

markb
09-04-2007, 07:43 AM
That driver reminds me of a waiter we encountered at a restaurant in Kissimmee. He spent the whole meal talking about tips, then when he brought the bill he'd written on the bottom how much we should leave him! Needless to say, he didn't get what he wanted ;)

martinfamily5
09-04-2007, 01:17 PM
This is making me feel better about using a car service instead of DME.

Disney Doll
09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
We've used DME several times and have never encountered this. I always see the signs at the front that say tips are accepted, but I've never had the driver mention it aloud. It's tricky because some people may really not think to tip the driver, but having the driver ask for tips seems a little rude. IMHO you are still asking for a tip even if you are just stating a fact. Something more discreet would be preferable. I've seen the driver standing at the exit ready to assist with bags holding a few small bills. He can use this for change if someone needs to tip with a larger bill and it sends the message that tips are expected. A much better approach I think.

Beast_fanatic
09-04-2007, 10:48 PM
In general, do most people tip on DME?

I did tip the driver even though he did not handle any bags for me. If I had taken a taxi, limo service or other shared ride service, I would have tipped (even if they didn't handle bags), so I felt it was appropriate.

kakn7294
09-05-2007, 12:11 AM
We tip too - generally because it is expected. The WDW transportation buses - the ones that go resort to park, etc - are not allowed to accept tips, but the DME drivers are allowed to accept tips.

brownie
09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I think he needs to change his approach. His actions and demeanor should be what generates his tips, not a talk about charities.

wkanack
04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
For those of you that experienced the spiel about charity and donations. That driver has been reprimanded and he use to be a trainer, not anymore. Many drivers for DME will stop just short of asking for a gratuity. Like saying "I'll thank you in advance" and leaving it there for you to finish. Please keep in mind the service offered and the predominately low wage scale in Florida. Enjoy your disney experience. Also your ride to and from the resort could cost you about $65 on a cab....

LuckyMum22
04-16-2008, 03:45 PM
We had the same driver at the end of our stay for our Sept. 25-30,2007 trip! Funny thing -his DD's word of the month was "charity" then too! We left him nothing but a frown!
We had the DME bus to ourselves for our way to the resort and our driver told us it was her birthday and that she was leaving for vacation after she dropped us off at our resort. She was nice and loaded our bags and we left her a tip. She may just as well have been feeding us a line like the guy on the return trip but she was more slick about it. I recognize their plight -low pay, yadda, yadda...but I sure hated the shake down on the way home when Mickey already got my $$!!! We all work for our Disney Dollars-we don't like being told how we should spend them!