PDA

View Full Version : The End for Disney Dollars!

ariel03
09-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I just got back from my local Disney Store to buy Disney Dollars and they said that Disney told them that at the end of this year the Disney Dollar will be no more. They said that Disney wants to go strictly gift card. They also said Disney told them this before but continued to sell disney dollars so they are unsure when this will truly take effect but say that this is the last year for them.

DizneyRox
09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I can understand the desire to get away from printing money. Possibly for counterfiet bills would be high on the list I propose.

I've heard rumors of fees, lack of activity penalties, etc with the cards, so I'm not sure if that has any influence. It's nice when you can draw from the card instead of giving the person what they paid for.

Nice, if they get rid of the cards I then have 0 reasons to step foot in a Disney Store!

Darbylew
09-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear that news. The children love to
get the Disney dollars. I wonder what they plan
to do at WDW when you turn in your stroller they give you a Disney dollar back with your
reciept.

Ian
09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Hmmm ... I sort of understand the decision, but it disappoints me a little.

We use Disney dollars as a sort of forced savings plan for our trips, buying $40 worth each week.

Somehow doing that with gift cards, doesn't seem like as much fun.

kaylamag
09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
We are going in January next year. I've been buying disney dollars every now and then and saving them for our trip. Do you think they will still except the dollars or will i have to take them back to the disney store and exchange them? Is that even allowed, or am i going to be stuck with them?

DisneyDudet
09-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, why would they stop using them, when just this year they had new versions printed?

I guess people aren't buying them as much as they used to.

Altair
09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I just got back from my local Disney Store to buy Disney Dollars and they said that Disney told them that at the end of this year the Disney Dollar will be no more.

This could mean they just won't be carried by the DIsney Stores. I don't think these are big sellers there.
Considering the number of DD's bought by collectors and never spent, I can't see them ending altogether.:mickey:

PirateLover
09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I like Disney Dollars better than gift cards because it's just like cash vs. credit cards... it puts things into perspective when I actually dole out the bucks instead of using the card and forces me to think more about each purchase and whether I really want this item or not. Also, I like the different designs. :mickey:

tinksmom02
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Jeez, do you think I should take DD5's Disney Dollars away from her to put in a safe deposit box? ;)

I really hope they don't stop making them OR selling them at the Disney Store--that's where I got most of the ones I gave DD! She loves them...she spreads them out on her bed and compares all the different characters...

Polynesian Dweller
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Have to see whether they do that and whether its permanent. There have been three years in which they did not print any bills, including last year. So a hiatus in making them wouldn't be that unusual.

However, I can also see them stopping for a number of reasons. Each bill that is not redeemed represents outstanding debt for the company and, even though they expect a certain percentage never to be redeemed, each year there are additional bills that people hold onto. In effect, the companies liabilities keep increasing.

It also costs a certain amount to make the bills, destroy old ones, protect against forgery and so on. At some point, those costs will start to outweigh the benefits of the program to the company and they will stop making them.

CaptainSad
09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
We are going in January next year. I've been buying disney dollars every now and then and saving them for our trip. Do you think they will still except the dollars or will i have to take them back to the disney store and exchange them? Is that even allowed, or am i going to be stuck with them?

By law they have to honor all Disney dollars to the end of time if need be. If you paid for them and they say you can use them as cash at the parks then they are still good. If they decide later down the line that they will not honor them at future time then they have to let it be known. You can either cash them in by such and such date or keep them as souvenirs.

Carol
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
It was only a matter of time. Gift cards are so much easier.

Remember Geoffrey money at Toys R Us?? That was discontinued when gift cards came out too.

MsMin
09-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I can see them discontinuing it but it would be sad:( I think it offers so much value to children as they can learn the value of "delayed gratification" meaning they have to save it and wait for a trip etc. Gift cards don't have the same effect but then I'm sure Disney's main objective is not to teach the value of money to children.
Parenting Tip: Children who can delay gratification often have better outcomes or are more successful as adults.

wedway fan
09-04-2007, 11:47 AM
However, I can also see them stopping for a number of reasons. Each bill that is not redeemed represents outstanding debt for the company and, even though they expect a certain percentage never to be redeemed, each year there are additional bills that people hold onto. In effect, the companies liabilities keep increasing.

i thought it was the opposite- that they made money on unused dollars. there's a term for this in banking and economics- "seigniorage"- where an institution actually gains revenue when money it prints is pulled from circulation. the federal government takes advantage of this all the time with special coins.

to get a disney dollar, you have to give disney a dollar. if you don't use your disney dollar, they still have your dollar.

with gift cards, there will certainly be forgotten balances and unused cards, but no one will likely collect them (except when they're used up), so the benefit of seigniorage will go away.

my only guess as to why they may be switching to gift cards is that they figure the amount of money left unused on cards minus the cost of the system will be more than the unused disney dollars minus the cost of printing.

McGoofy
09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
We don't have a Disney store near our area anymore, so Disney Dollars are a treat to our DS when the Disney tooth fairy comes. He looks forward to getting Disney dollars when he loses a tooth!:tink:

So I wonder if the Disney dollars get discontinued, should I hold on to what I've got as they may be terrific collector's items in the future?

TheRustyScupper
09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I can understand the desire to get away from printing money. Possibly for counterfiet bills would be high on the list I propose.
. . . I would imagine that this would not happen
. . . can't see it for $1-$5-$10 denominations

I've heard rumors of fees, lack of activity penalties, etc with the cards, so I'm not sure if that has any influence. It's nice when you can draw from the card instead of giving the person what they paid for.
. . . unless mistaken, there is no service charge
. . . many gift cards have charges, but not Disney

NOTE: But, I do go along with others and hope they don't do away with Disney Dollars.

Figgyluv03
09-04-2007, 01:11 PM
This could mean they just won't be carried by the DIsney Stores. I don't think these are big sellers there.
Considering the number of DD's bought by collectors and never spent, I can't see them ending altogether.:mickey:

When I worked at the Disney Store they were still big sellers. We were always selling out. I'm wondering since the take over of the Children's place, they are trying to with away with them in the store. I left a few months after the Childrens Place took over, so I'm not sure how the store is doing business wise now. I purchased a few not long ago, and they didn't say anything about getting rid of them.

bleukarma
09-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I will be sad to see Disney Dollars go! :( I like to give them as Christmas/birthday/graduation presents to anybody I know is making a Disney trip. For some reason the gift cards aren't the same. I can give a gift card to anywhere but Disney Dollars are unique.

I've never used the gift card but I assume it's refillable? Like if I wanted to add $20 every payday (or whatever) I could bring in the same card and have them add it instead of having 100 gift cards laying around when it came time for my trip?

When I worked at the Disney Store over Christmas we sold a lot of them. And I worked at a mall 45 minutes from Disney World. I don't see that these are bad sellers. I also think that Disney makes tons of money on them because there are a lot of people out there that buy them but don't spend them.
It's weird to me that they would stop making them. :confused:

BrerSchultzy
09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
i thought it was the opposite- that they made money on unused dollars. there's a term for this in banking and economics- "seigniorage"- where an institution actually gains revenue when money it prints is pulled from circulation. the federal government takes advantage of this all the time with special coins.

to get a disney dollar, you have to give disney a dollar. if you don't use your disney dollar, they still have your dollar.

with gift cards, there will certainly be forgotten balances and unused cards, but no one will likely collect them (except when they're used up), so the benefit of seigniorage will go away.

my only guess as to why they may be switching to gift cards is that they figure the amount of money left unused on cards minus the cost of the system will be more than the unused disney dollars minus the cost of printing.

Except that when you give Disney a dollar, and they give you a DD, then they technically OWE you a dollar in goods and services...if you never call that debt in, it goes on their books as an outstanding debt, something shareholders do not like to see.

However, I can't see that being a HUGE number...I would imagine that if the rumor is true, it is for the same reason they pulled all the brochures out of rest stops and pulled the plug on the Ocala welcome center...it wasn't "Necessary", and didn't help the bottom line.

letsdoitagain
09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
My kids both used them this past August and thought it was the greatest. I think it helped to build the excitement that they were going to Disney World when we bought them before our trip at the Disney Store.

wedway fan
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
if you never call that debt in, it goes on their books as an outstanding debt, something shareholders do not like to see.

ahh, yes- the almighty shareholder. while i'm sure disney fully expects a percentage of DDs to be collected and never used, therefore be an actual source of income, you're right- they could never remove that debt, and the appearance of it as a loss to shareholders would be a negative.

whatever the reason, if they are going away, it's really too bad. going to be no fun saving for the trip by buying a gift card once a month.

Tekneek
09-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Certainly would be less fun and magic for some kids. My son had a thrill finding Disney Dollars around the house as a way of telling him we would be going one time and the money was his to spend anywhere at Disney. A gift card would just never have the same effect at all.

It's not unlike Disney to unwind the magic here and there under the guise of "shareholder value."

Marker
09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I guess I just don't see the big deal.

If you are used to pre-buying the current Disney Dollars to help save for an upcoming trip, what's really the difference of pre-loading a gift card.

And I really doubt that any kid's Disney experience will be dramaticly altered without the ability to save "play money". There is much more for a kid to get excited about than Disney Dollars.

Actually, for me, I'd rather have the gift card than the collection of Disney Dollars. I think it would be much easier to handle, just swipe it and go. I'd also think it would much easier to manage for Disney.

So I'm just not seeing the big deal. It's just different that's all. But maybe I'm missing something.

Tekneek
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
And I really doubt that any kid's Disney experience will be dramaticly altered without the ability to save "play money".

This says plenty. Once you consider it to be 'play money', you're never going to see the point. If you think finding a gift card is just as much fun for a 4 year old as finding a bunch of Disney Dollars, I wonder if you have much experience with kids of that age. If you think it is less 'fun' for any kid to take physical money to pay for something than just swiping a card, I'd also question it. Finding the money, dollar by dollar, and then carefully considering how he spent each dollar was both fun and an economics lesson that swiping a plastic card and getting a paper receipt just doesn't match.

Edited to add that ultimately, I wouldn't toss Disney aside over this. I just don't consider it as trivial as some, based on my personal experience.

big blue and hairy
09-06-2007, 12:48 PM
If you think finding a gift card is just as much fun for a 4 year old as finding a bunch of Disney Dollars, I wonder if you have much experience with kids of that age. If you think it is less 'fun' for any kid to take physical money to pay for something than just swiping a card, I'd also question it. Finding the money, dollar by dollar, and then carefully considering how he spent each dollar was both fun and an economics lesson that swiping a plastic card and getting a paper receipt just doesn't match.

Maybe that could depend on how you present it. How about this....make copies of some Disney Dollars, or make your own. Present them to your child with the explanation that you exchange them for a Disney Debit Card (ooooo...all of the sudden, that sounds adult doesn't it?) That way, not only does your child get to find the Disney Dollars, but also knows how much is on the card, and gets to use a debit card just like the adults!

:sulley:

Marker
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
This says plenty. Once you consider it to be 'play money', you're never going to see the point.

It IS play money. It is not legal tender. It's effectively a gift certificate, a coupon good only at Disney.

I wonder if you have much experience with kids of that age.

Attacking my parenting????? Based solely on a comment about Disney Dollars???? Well isn't that just special.

Finding the money, dollar by dollar, and then carefully considering how he spent each dollar was both fun and an economics lesson that swiping a plastic card and getting a paper receipt just doesn't match.

It's not about the piece of paper, you could teach the same lesson with any object, it's all in the presentation. And with a Disney Dollar, what choice is really being made. It's only good at Disney. However, finding actual dollars and MAKING THE CHOICE to save it in a Disney account (or gift card) also teaches about making choices, and the cost of that choice. I'd say a lesson in making wise choices with your MONEY is a worthwhile lesson for a child. If they spend half, and save half, then they only have half to spend at Disney.

And, in my opinion, a lesson of how to handle a gift card is very real world also. After all, don't we all utilize debit cards more extensively than cash these days. Learning to understand how to track the use of such a card is also a valid lesson.

Things like this are too often only a big deal to kids if the adults make them big deals. There are lessons in dealing with change that perhaps come into play here as well.

mttafire
09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I guess I just don't see the big deal.

If you are used to pre-buying the current Disney Dollars to help save for an upcoming trip, what's really the difference of pre-loading a gift card.

And I really doubt that any kid's Disney experience will be dramaticly altered without the ability to save "play money". There is much more for a kid to get excited about than Disney Dollars.

Actually, for me, I'd rather have the gift card than the collection of Disney Dollars. I think it would be much easier to handle, just swipe it and go. I'd also think it would much easier to manage for Disney.

So I'm just not seeing the big deal. It's just different that's all. But maybe I'm missing something.
Agreed 100%

BrerEmma
09-07-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a Disney Dollar from Mickey's 65th Bday. What is the oldest you have?:mickey:

letsdoitagain
09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
One benefit that the disney dollar has over a gift card for kids is that a child (depending on age) can't grasp how much money they have to spend just by looking at a card. Disney dollars allow for kids to physically see how much of their "money" they have left and makes it easier for them to guage what they can buy. I guess it can be usedful as a learning tool for children is what I'm trying to say.

Certainly gifts cards are much easier for adults. I agree with that point.

scootch713
09-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear that news. The children love to
get the Disney dollars. I wonder what they plan
to do at WDW when you turn in your stroller they give you a Disney dollar back with your
reciept.

they do??? How to go about doing it?

BrerSchultzy
09-07-2007, 10:53 AM
One benefit that the disney dollar has over a gift card for kids is that a child (depending on age) can't grasp how much money they have to spend just by looking at a card. Disney dollars allow for kids to physically see how much of their "money" they have left and makes it easier for them to guage what they can buy. I guess it can be usedful as a learning tool for children is what I'm trying to say.

Certainly gifts cards are much easier for adults. I agree with that point.

And not to belabor the point, but I think what other people are saying is that we use cash less and less these days, so maybe WE are the ones making a big deal about the Disney Dollars, whereas kids may really WANT to have the gift cards (or "debit" cards...great suggestion), to be more like mommy and daddy. Heck, let's go all the way with it, and buy them a special ledger (or a re-worked autograph book) and have them keep track of how much they spend.

I agree that it's sad to see them go, but I also agree that it may not be all that big a deal, ultimately.

Just another thing.

Momof2boys
09-07-2007, 03:07 PM
We'd give the boys their spending money in Disney Dollars. It was easy for them to actually see how much something would cost.

Tekneek
09-08-2007, 06:13 AM
It IS play money. It is not legal tender. It's effectively a gift certificate, a coupon good only at Disney.

Legal tender at Disney is another way to spin that.

Attacking my parenting????? Based solely on a comment about Disney Dollars???? Well isn't that just special.

It is only special if you want it to be. I was actually just wondering about your experience with children that age, which is all that it says. You've turned the words into something that they were not.

It's not about the piece of paper, you could teach the same lesson with any object, it's all in the presentation. And with a Disney Dollar, what choice is really being made. It's only good at Disney. However, finding actual dollars and MAKING THE CHOICE to save it in a Disney account (or gift card) also teaches about making choices, and the cost of that choice. I'd say a lesson in making wise choices with your MONEY is a worthwhile lesson for a child. If they spend half, and save half, then they only have half to spend at Disney.

Indeed. No argument there. However, if you know from past experience that they usually want to spend X amount of dollars there, you're empowering them to spend that much there in a tangible form. He's already saving real money in the real world. This was another Disney thing. I never said it was the only way, but a Disney gift certificate is not the same as holding Disney Dollars. Whether it is a positive or negative change is certainly up to each person, but it is definitely different.

And, in my opinion, a lesson of how to handle a gift card is very real world also. After all, don't we all utilize debit cards more extensively than cash these days. Learning to understand how to track the use of such a card is also a valid lesson.

Yes, but not nearly as relevant to a small child. There's a reason a lot of math is originally learned with tangible objects instead of just numbers on a sheet. It helps explain the concepts when you can hold it and count it much better than the more abstract versions (at least when it comes to young children).

Things like this are too often only a big deal to kids if the adults make them big deals. There are lessons in dealing with change that perhaps come into play here as well.

I'm not sure anybody needs lessons in that, but that's not a matter for this thread. My only point was that changing this does make it less 'magical', obviously in my opnion. I wonder if Disney extracts fees from gift cards over time when they continue to carry balances. If they do that, like other companies do, then it is obvious what they are trying to do.

Tekneek
09-08-2007, 06:25 AM
That way, not only does your child get to find the Disney Dollars, but also knows how much is on the card, and gets to use a debit card just like the adults!

Generally, we only use debit cards for family purchases. So our children don't see it as something that adults get to use for everything. Anything outside of purchases made as a family are generally paid for from each individual's cash allowance for the week, even for mom and dad. We've found this to be much more effective than using debit cards for everything and having to go over the receipts, plus this money can be used in situations where debit cards aren't accepted (without requiring a visit to an ATM and a withdrawal).

McGoofy
09-08-2007, 04:36 PM
they do??? How to go about doing it?

I think this may be a thing of the past. They used to give a Disney dollar for turning in your stroller. I'm not sure why, but a lot of people would "abandon" their strollers and not turn them in. (That's a whole different topic that I could post!) Instead, the strollers would be left all around the parks and CM's would have to round them up. I guess the dollar was incentive for people to bring them back. Our family of 3 would each find an abandoned stroller and turn them in and then get 3 Disney dollars. The last time we did this, probably a couple of years ago, they told us they weren't doing the dollar back anymore. So we never rounded up strollers again after that. My son is 9 so it has been a while since we actually rented a stroller. I am not sure what, if any, incentives that they offer for stroller returns now. But I do have to say it sure was fun rounding up strollers for Disney dollars!:mickey:

Tink#64
09-08-2007, 10:36 PM
This is tragic ! I love Disney dollars! I've given them to DS's, friends and family for all sorts of holiday & special events, even good grades on report cards. I've given them as little treats to all of the above just before the trip to buy something extra or special! These worked great at our house, rather than just giving cash that would be spent on more things they didn't need at home, knowing they were going to get to WDW and want those unique Disney items. Gift cards just don't hold the same appeal. You can't look at the cards and see how much you've got! I love the dollars and will miss them if they go away!:(

Old School Mouse Ears
09-08-2007, 10:58 PM
i agree with you Tink, my DS's are grown men now but in the days they were young the DD's were saved just for our trip and they knew to make them last... to spend wisely.im sure a card is as good as cash. but for me a card doesnt make me feel as good as my pockets full of 10's 20's and 50's ...lol....on the flight home its mostly "pockets full of pennies, a nickel and some lint...lol...

showmethemouse
09-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I get Disney dollars for my birthday and christmas that's what my co-workers give all the time and I like them .I use them this past Aug on my trip . Disney dollars are great they would be crazy to do away with them

Iluvpooh
09-09-2007, 12:16 AM
I LOVE Disney Dolalrs and I'm sorry that they will doing away with them, but I think the main reason may be that you can exchange DDs back in for "real" money and not Gift Cards. This way Disney can gaurantee that you will spend that money on Disney. I cashed in over $100 when I left the resorts last year-Needless to say I paid my power bill with it when I got home. If that had been $100 gift card-I would have spent it at the park or at disneyshoppingdotcom when I got home.

caryrae
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
One nice thing about having the Disney Dollars you always know how much you have. With a Gift card you need to call a number to find out what is left to spend unless, if you buy something it shows your balance on the reciept. I would also think it would be easier to spend more on an item if you use a gift card because you don't actually exchange money, you don't really see the money dissappear like when you use cash.

Also what would Disney do with all the Disney Dollars as people used them up if they switch to gift cards?

Wonder what they will go for on Ebay a few years after they stop making them?

Also wonder if they do go with gift card if that may be something else they can combine on the Keys to The Kingdom.