PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY decided! Can i stay their if NOT in club?

EmmMOM2
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I finally decided where to go for our 2008 trip to WDW. We are going to be staying in a 1 bedroom suite at the Wilderness Lodge Villas.
Anyone stayed their before?
I figure with 2 young children with somewhat early bedtimes it will be ideal so my husband and i can spend some time on the blacony or in living area while children are asleep and with the boat to MK it cant possibly be beat.
I am NOT and member of disney's vacation club.
Can i still stay in the villas??

TammiMcMan
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Absolutely. Disney has some available for non-DVC members to reserve. You can see them online at the Disney website or if you use a TA like Magical Journeys, they can book it for you as well.

A second option, is to "rent" points from a current DVC member. These are members who own, however they may not be able to utilize all their points, so they offer them up for "rent". Depending on when you want to go and which type of unit you want, there are points attached. For example, a Sunday - Saturday vacation in May for a 1 bedroom WL villa, may total 250 points. A DVC member may be willing to "rent" his/her points for anywhere from $10 - $15 per point. It can result in a pretty good savings for you, but the reservation is in the name of the owner and there has to be alot of trust between the two parties.

DVC Mike
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
You don't have to be a DVC member to book a reservation at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge (VWL), or any other DVC resort.

You aren't the only one who thought you could only book a room at a DVC resort if you were a member. Disney has changed the category name they use to refer to the DVC resorts in order to clear up this common misconception.

In an effort to alleviate confusion about the availability of Disney Vacation Club accommodations as nightly rentals, and to better describe these resorts' amenities, Disney vacation planners will use the term Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts in reference to the Disney Vacation Club properties for non-Members. (These resorts previously were listed as Disney Vacation Club Resorts.)

The Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts category tops off a line-up of Disney Resorts for every taste and budget, including Disney Value Resorts, Disney Moderate Resorts and Disney Deluxe Resorts.

As this resort category name change affects Guest rental bookings only, Disney Vacation Club Members will continue to know these properties as Disney Vacation Club Resorts.

DVC Mike
09-02-2007, 09:01 PM
A second option, is to "rent" points from a current DVC member. These are members who own, however they may not be able to utilize all their points, so they offer them up for "rent".... It can result in a pretty good savings for you, but the reservation is in the name of the owner and there has to be alot of trust between the two parties.

Yes, you can save money renting points. However, If you do decide to rent points from a DVC member, keep in mind that this is a private transaction between two people, and Disney is not involved in any way. If anything goes wrong, you can’t complain to Disney or expect them to resolve any problem.

Until you physically check-in, the DVC owner controls the reservation, even when it is in your name. An unscrupulous owner could cancel your reservation, and steal your money, and Disney will not get involved. This risk is what gets you the discount, and renting is not for everyone. Renting points takes some work ahead of time to protect yourself and minimize the inherent risk of these types of transactions.

That said, thousands of successful rental transactions have been completed throughout the history of the DVC program, and the savings are obvious.

J.T.Toad
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Dear EmmMOM2

I found this advice on another Web Site.

Ask for and review references for anyone you consider working with on a rental. Ask for home address and home telephone number. Ask for a written contract outlining all details of the rental. Review past posts for the person you are working with so you can get an idea what type of person they may be. When possible, use a credit card for payment to provide some possible level of security.

I could add to this, call them at home.

In addition to what DVC Mike has posted I could add that it takes a lot of trust between you and the person that is renting you the points. I am a DVC member and I have rented my points, transferred points and rented from other DVC members. So far I have never had a problem.

JT Tips

1. Don’t be a time waster. Do your homework. Make sure you fully intend to rent points from a member. Have your dates down, if you can be flexible on check in and check out, that helps a lot. Have the DVC resorts in order as in most desirable to least desirable.

2. The earlier the better. A DVC member can make reservations in his home resort up to 11 months prior to his check out date, and only 7 months prior at Resorts other than his home resort. If you wish to make a deal with lets say an owner of Saratoga Springs Resort Villas but wish to stay at the Beach Club Villas the owner can only make your reservations 7 months Pryor to your check out time. A member can also make reservations one day at a time 7 months prior. And this is exactly what I did for my self last year. I am a member of SSR and I wished to stay at either the BCV or the BWV so at exactly 7 months from my checkout on the first day I started making my reservations one day at a time. Sometimes there might be a day missing in between check in and check out. You can fill that date at another resort and be put on a waiting list or you can choose another resort. For the last three years I have had dates missing but I have always gotten my dates. First come First Serve. That is why it is so important to be early.

3. Every DVC member rents out there points differently. This is how I rent out my Points. After I have received all of the information from you. I check on availability. If you ask me for references I email you my bank references or even trade references. Once I get the ok from you to proceed I will make the reservation in your name, after the reservation has been made I will either email you or call you with the reservation number at that time I expect 50% of the cost transferred to my Paypal account immediately. The hard copy of the conformation comes to me 7 to 14 days after the reservation has been made. Once I receive the hard copy I offer to fax it to you. Then I send the hard copy along with the original envelope to you via Snail mail. Once I stick the Hard copy in the mail I will email you to notify that the Hard Copy Has been sent along with a statement that balance due must be wired to me with in 7 days via PayPal.

Good Luck

JT

J.T.Toad
09-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Dear EmmMOM2
To give you an Idea on the savings that can be had. I just checked for another poster this morning on the number of points needed for a Studio at VWL in early December. Friday and Saturday will cost 22 points per night. Sunday thru Thursday will cost 12 points per night. It will cost you from $10.00 to $ 11.00 a point. $ 120.00 for a weeknight in a studio at VWL isn’t too shabby.
J.T.

EmmMOM2
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
I will probably not use the point system. My DH works for a company where we get a very nice discount on disney lodging so we have to book through them. But thanks for the info