PDA

View Full Version : Dole Whip, What other traditions do we need to know?

SingingLights
09-02-2007, 09:07 AM
You were right!! The Dole Whip was great!! We had been to the World 11 times but we had never tried the Dole Whip before our June trip. It will now be a tradition for every trip from here forward. We are already looking forward to it in November.

What other treats and traditions have we missed? We always have a Nestle Toll House Ice Cream Sandwich, we always eat at Le Celliar, we always have a princess breakfast either at the Castle or Norway (DD9), and we always eat hot dogs from Casey's during Wishes. So what is everyone else doing?:confused:

LudwigVonDrake
09-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I know some people swear by the Turkey Legs and have to have at least one a trip. I just can't bring myself to do it...yet :mickey:

Samtastic
09-02-2007, 10:41 AM
My dbf was so dissapointed to not get a turkey leg last trip. And a mickey waffle!

We'll make up for it this year!

me...
09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I always make sure to grab a margarita in Mexico and a Pretzel in Germany. Kaki Gori in Japan is awesome as well. Best snow cone I've ever had : )

IloveDisney71
09-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Ohana's is our family's tradition. We don't miss it!:tasty:
And don't forget the Mickey ice cream bar.:bar:

tiaramom
09-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I always get a Chocloate covered Marshmellow Pop ( down town disney candy shoppe)
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO soft and sweet. Yummy
The best ones are there!

Dawneeeey
09-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Our traditions are more of a where we go than a what we get type thing.

We always go to CRT for dinner during the fireworks. I absolutely love being inside the castle during that time. :cloud9:

I love everyone else's traditions though because they give me lots of ideas. I have never had Kaki Gori, so this year I told DH we're going to try it.

Oh his tradition is having a Boddington's at R&C! :beer:

cubbie
09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Don't forget the churros!

mousetrapper
09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
We love the turkey legs too! One of us invariably caves in and buys popcorn on Main Street...it's hard to resist that wonderful smell!And don't forget McDonald's fries in Frontier Land! (I think that's where the cart is...)

Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe (Poly) and Zebra Domes at Boma (AK) are big on our "must-eat" list too.

YUM
:thumbsup:

jpH/keD
09-02-2007, 02:21 PM
We went for 4 days in 2005 and knew NOTHING! I kept thinking I was in the world's best amusement park and no funnel cake!? So when I came home, discovered Intercot and became a Disneyholic I learned about Sleepy Hollow and the Dole Whips as well! We are going in Nov for 8 days and plan on Funnel cakes, DWs and any other sweet treats I can find!:cloud9: Enjoy your trip and eat well!

AdventurerKim
09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
We always eat at Mama Melrose's for lunch on Nov. trips and Sci-Fi for lunch on Spring/Summer trips. We never miss a sundae at Ghiardelli and a Mickey gingerbread cookie in MGM from the Writer's Stop. I always get hot chocolate when we see the Osborne Lights in Nov. when the weather is cold enough. We also always get dessert at France, either at the little bakery or in Chefs if we're eating there. :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
09-02-2007, 03:33 PM
At Goofy's Candy Shop in DD, they have cupcakes with the old fashioned icing. My mom won't go to Disney without stopping by there and picking up 1 or 2 of those. She loves them! :mickey:

Jared
09-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Eat lots of Toll House chocolate chip cookies! You already know the wonders of the ice cream cookie sandwich. It's my favorite treat.

For table service meals, my family always dines at 'Ohana, Kona Cafe and Boma. Cape May Cafe is pretty delicious, too, especially the New England clam chowder.

LudwigVonDrake
09-02-2007, 05:06 PM
We went for 4 days in 2005 and knew NOTHING! I kept thinking I was in the world's best amusement park and no funnel cake!? So when I came home, discovered Intercot and became a Disneyholic I learned about Sleepy Hollow and the Dole Whips as well! We are going in Nov for 8 days and plan on Funnel cakes, DWs and any other sweet treats I can find!:cloud9: Enjoy your trip and eat well!

You can also get Funnel cakes by the American pavilion in Epcot :tasty:

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Our traditions are that in MK we eat at Pecos Bill's Cafe. We also on the way out stop and pick up some fudge to snack on throughout the trip. When we go to AK we eat at Flame Tree and get a coffee drink and pastry at Tusker House. At Epcot we alway have the wine tasting in Germany and buy some marzipan candy. Last year we tried Biergarten and decided to make it a tradition. We also do the wine tastig in Italy.

This might be a stupid question considering I've been there a few times but what is a dole whip? I don't remember ever seeing them. If we get a treat it is usually the Mickey ice cream.

SingingLights
09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
This might be a stupid question considering I've been there a few times but what is a dole whip? I don't remember ever seeing them. If we get a treat it is usually the Mickey ice cream.

Not a stupid question. We always go to Epcot on our first day at Disney, we asked where is the Dole Whip? We were politely told about 3 times that it is only in the MK. There is a Dole Whip stand in Adventureland across from the Swiss Family Tree House. Dole Whip is this wonderful soft serve made with pineapple juice and you can get a Dole Whip float with Dole Whip and more pineapple juice. YUM:thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Not a stupid question. We always go to Epcot on our first day at Disney, we asked where is the Dole Whip? We were politely told about 3 times that it is only in the MK. There is a Dole Whip stand in Adventureland across from the Swiss Family Tree House. Dole Whip is this wonderful soft serve made with pineapple juice and you can get a Dole Whip float with Dole Whip and more pineapple juice. YUM:thumbsup:

Thanks so much! I don't know how I've missed that before but I will definitely try it when I go. It sounds wonderful!

pixiesmimi
09-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I looked everywhere this trip for the Dole Whip and didn't see it anywhere. Do you mean the Citrus Swirl at the place behind the Aladdin ride? I started to get this and realized it was ice cream and wanted something to drink instead. I never saw anything called a Dole Whip. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to try it. :(

me...
09-02-2007, 11:21 PM
I looked everywhere this trip for the Dole Whip and didn't see it anywhere. Do you mean the Citrus Swirl at the place behind the Aladdin ride? I started to get this and realized it was ice cream and wanted something to drink instead. I never saw anything called a Dole Whip. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to try it. :(

It's at Aloha Isle right across from Bwana Bob's. It's called a dole whip it's pineapple soft serve and you can make it a float with pineapple juice.

tinksmom02
09-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, my personal tradition is a pint of Harps from the R&C while at Epcot...takes me back to my Ireland pub tour in 2001...

but new traditions I'm looking forward to starting:

dole whips
something from Goofy's Candy, Oreo or apple, etc. where you can have it dipped however you want
Margarita from Mexico
Grey goose Slush (france, right?)
schoolbread and viking coffee from norway
Lapu Lapu from the Poly.

LOL Lot of alcohol on that list. :blush: I promise I don't have a drinking problem! Just too much yummy stuff to try!

LoriMistress
09-03-2007, 12:37 AM
I love going into the Main Street Bakery and eating cookies. I also love eating a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar...something about it makes it so good.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-03-2007, 12:49 AM
I love going into the Main Street Bakery and eating cookies. I also love eating a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar...something about it makes it so good.

I think it's the mouse ears. LOL

MushuGrl
09-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Do they still sell Simba Paws at Animal Kingdom? I love those! (but missed my chance at one last trip.)

LudwigVonDrake
09-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Do they still sell Simba Paws at Animal Kingdom? I love those! (but missed my chance at one last trip.)

What are Simba paws?? :confused:

Jared
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
What are Simba paws?? :confused:
I believe MushuGrl was referring to a specific ice cream bar with Simba's paw print served only in Animal Kingdom.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Our traditions include:

-pastry shops in both France and Norway
-Liberty Tree Tavern dinner
-Donald's Breakfast at AK

Traditions we'll start this year:
-Dole whip (can't believe we'd never heard of it before now)
-Ohana's
-Le Cellier

The one we wanted to start this year:
-Teppanyaki :(

DizneyFreak2002
09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I always have a Dole Whip.... Ohana used to be a tradition as my last dinner before leaving for home.... But, this year, I changed that.... No Ohana this year....

TinkerbellFan16
09-03-2007, 12:59 PM
i always get a cinnamon roll at the main street bakery in the morning.also have to have a mickey head ice cream!!!

LudwigVonDrake
09-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I believe MushuGrl was referring to a specific ice cream bar with Simba's paw print served only in Animal Kingdom.

Sounds like some sort of pastry! :D

Thanks for the info :wave:

SingingLights
09-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks to all who wrote to give me the heads up on all these great places and treats. We plan to try several in November.

Samtastic
09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, my personal tradition is a pint of Harps from the R&C while at Epcot...takes me back to my Ireland pub tour in 2001...

but new traditions I'm looking forward to starting:

dole whips
something from Goofy's Candy, Oreo or apple, etc. where you can have it dipped however you want
Margarita from Mexico
Grey goose Slush (france, right?)
schoolbread and viking coffee from norway
Lapu Lapu from the Poly.

LOL Lot of alcohol on that list. :blush: I promise I don't have a drinking problem! Just too much yummy stuff to try!

Whoa whoa whoa, what and where is this grey goose slush????

me...
09-05-2007, 05:27 AM
it's like the consistancy of a maragrita with I think a lemon flavor. It's in France next to the Crepe cart. Just remember to have cash on hand because they don't take credit.

mouseketeer mom
09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Ohanas is our don't miss traditional dinner.
We never miss the ice cream carts with Mickey heads for DH, MInnie strawberry fruit bars for the kids, and Toll house cookie sandwich for me.
We never miss a trip to the nut carts in Epcot in the evening.
We never miss the popcorn carts and soveineir tubs! (we have quite a collection and use them at home!)
We never miss a trip to the Main Street candy shop. A rainbow of M and M's, Tigger PB cups, and Mickey coconut patties. We always buy take home treats there for my kids classes too.
Gosh, its a wonder we have time for anything else with all of this eating we are doing!

martinfamily5
09-05-2007, 10:12 AM
We never miss getting Dole Pineapple Whip. They are DH fav. We always get floats. The turkey legs are very yummy, but huge. The first time that we had one, DD and I each got one and splitt some french fries, we were miserrebly stuffed and wished that we had split the turkey leg as well.

Samtastic
09-05-2007, 10:23 AM
We've never really had traditions. When I went last Jan, for the first time without the fam and with my dbf, we missed a lot of things we wanted to do---turkey leg, minnie bar, etc...due to overeating at Boma and then trying to squeeze in Wolfgangs, yea we're a bunch of crazy kids :ack: Anyway, we did get a dole whip. This time around we're going to get those things and try some of your suggestions (mmm...I heart grey goose)

Momof2boys
09-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Chocolate cake & cheesecake at the bakery in France. My sons start talking about it on the plane !

Septbride2002
09-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I always have to have a dole whip - every time I'm in Magic Kingdom - doesn't matter if I've already had one, two, or three :) My husband does Sunshine Terrace.

We also always eat at Caseys. Those hotdogs are delicious - but for me it is more about the location. Right off main street - makes for great people watching.

We typically get breakfast and coffee at the Fountain View Cafe so that we can watch the fountain "dance" in the morning at Epcot. Also we have to get Fish and Chips once during our trip.

We have a lot of traditions around food.....

~Amanda

omearac
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
We always go to MK on the first day and we always make sure to watch wishes on the last night. I would probably cry if I couldn't watch wishes one last time before we left. :(

Oops, sorry they're not food traditions.

me...
09-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I always have to have a dole whip - every time I'm in Magic Kingdom - doesn't matter if I've already had one, two, or three :) My husband does Sunshine Terrace.

We also always eat at Caseys. Those hotdogs are delicious - but for me it is more about the location. Right off main street - makes for great people watching.

We typically get breakfast and coffee at the Fountain View Cafe so that we can watch the fountain "dance" in the morning at Epcot. Also we have to get Fish and Chips once during our trip.

We have a lot of traditions around food.....

~Amanda

Hey Amanda just wanted to let you know Fountain View turned into an ice cream shop, I think sponsored by Edy's.

sillyolbear
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Don't know if I'd call it a tradition, but a box of popcorn and a coke while sitting on Main Street before a parade is certainly a simple favorite.

And a Dole Whip on a hot day isn't too bad either.

DisneyDudet
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh good golly... lets start this show...er... list rolling...

Dole Whip float.. a MUST DO for my mother and I. Dad likes the Citrus Swirl, but a lot of times its closed or their machines don't work.. so he settles!

Now, I'm in the minority, but I love Strawberry Swirls! They are like the citrus swirls, only with strawberry and vanilla! Oh.. the goodness! So thats a must do as well.

You'll notice an ice cream trend here...

Sundaes at Ghiridelli at DTD. I never go back home without one! I build my own with mint chocolate chip ice cream!

Beaches N Cream... we usually eat a meal there (LOVE the hamburgers!) and then we get treat. If we're in a hurry, we'll get Milkshakes. Mom and dad get a chocolate one made "black and white" which means, vanilla with chocolate syrup. They LOVE it. I usually try something different every time, except when I get a shake... Strawberry!!!

There's the token Mickey Premium Bar... can't NOT have one of those :bar:

Now here's the food:

Churros. I'm the only one who BUYS one.. the rest of my group usually eats mine, and I have to buy another one... I guess that would be a tradition...

Hot Dogs at the American Adventure. We've done this just about every single trip we've done. My mom says, "We can't go to America without a hot dog!" Mom... we live in America! The only time we didn't get to it was in Jan 06, when we didn't make it to America.

Our new must do are Corn Dog Nuggets. We first got them at Cosmic Rays sometime ago, but now we get them at Casey's and eat them during the fireworks!

We also eat at Earl of Sandwich every trip. It used to be that we at McDonald's at DTD, but our traditions have evolved from going and eating there when we get to Orlando to shopping at Wal Mart then heading to the parks. We love EoS, and will eat there every trip!

I already mentioned Beaches N Cream...

Well, I think that's it! I'm not sure we have anymore that I can think of. I'm sure some of you wonder how we even have time to ride rides!

Did anyone catch my Tiki Room quote?

TennesseeTink
09-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Turkey legs!!!Sooo scrumptious but definitely share. It's huge!

Tollhouse cookie ice cream sandwiches, also to share. I do love popcorn and coke while strolling or just sitting on Main Street.

DH has a deep love for Casey's so we eat there once every trip. We also always get the cheese sauce from either Casey's or Peco's Bill's for our fries.

New tradition...in Italy there's a cart that serves these pastries with chocolate pudding or mousse in it. Don't know what it's called but I'll be getting that every time now. Also I'd like to try the schoolbread from Norway this time. Sounds delicious!

Thank goodness I do alot of walking at WDW or I'd gain 20 pounds easy!!! So much good stuff...

tarjaybuff
09-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Garden Grill for lunch at EPCOT
Kaki Gori (snow cone) in Japan
Prime Time and Sci Fi Cafe in MGM

disneyfankev
09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
25 more days to go and now i'm starving:D

Mousefever
09-08-2007, 01:51 PM
My food tradition is to order a great sandwich at Earl of Sandwich, then envy my son's PB&J. Every time I go there I tell myself I'm going to order the PB&J despite the fact that it's a kid sandwich, and every year I order something else that looks good. But it's never as good as the bite from my son's sandwich! But next trip I'll get one for sure....

Are the Grey Goose slushes sold outside in a plastic cup so you can saunter around with it? I'm thinking it would make a great Intercot Illuminations Party drink in October!

:dory:

me...
09-08-2007, 07:35 PM
They are sold outside in plastic martini type glasses and are amazing : )

TikiGoddess
09-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Our traditions are:
* treats from the bakery in France
* Ice cream cookie sandwiches to eat while waiting on Main Street for Wishes to begin
* Columbia Harbor House for lunch
* Beverly at Epcot :D

TikiG