PDA

View Full Version : To deed or not to deed...

HOLITRIN
09-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I have a couple questions for all you DVC owners. I am looking into becoming a DVC member but would like to know if I could have both me and my daughter on the deed (daughter is 24). This way, there would be no need to leave this to her after my death. Is this possible? :mickey:

I’m also looking into buying resale – either BWV or BCV – love the location to EPCOT. :cloud9: Is the maintenance fee due at closing or at the beginning of the use year?

Maleficent's Dad
09-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I am looking into becoming a DVC member but would like to know if I could have both me and my daughter on the deed (daughter is 24). This way, there would be no need to leave this to her after my death. Is this possible? :mickey:
I'd advise you to speak to an attorney before doing so.
You can do this. The question may be whether or not you want to.
1. Your daughter has every right to make ressies and use points if her name is on the DVC contract. She can (not that she would) make ressies without consulting you - she could rent the points out, do as she pleases.
2. When you eventually pass away (may that not be for many, many years!), 50% of the DVC contract would still be part of your "estate." This would have to be dealt with - as in bequeathing it to her. It is/would be an asset in your final estate.

I’m also looking into buying resale – either BWV or BCV – love the location to EPCOT. :cloud9: Is the maintenance fee due at closing or at the beginning of the use year?
Maintenance fees are due in mid-January; if you financed through Disney, they could automatically take your maintanence fees out monthly. If you finance outside of Disney or buy the points outright, your fees would be pro-rated (the first year) and due in January.

HOLITRIN
09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Maleficent's Dad,

Thanks for the information. Good advice!!

pox24
09-02-2007, 10:44 AM
We had ours willed to both our boys and their wives jointly. Upon our deaths they will equally own and be responsible for the DVC. They also in turn can will it to their kids provided of course the ownerships do not expire.