PDA

View Full Version : Best accomodations for special trip - suggestions please

Figment78
08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone! I have a major dilemma that I've been wrestling with for about a month now. I really hope you all can help me decide!

DH and I are expecting our first child in March of 2008! We are very excited and can't wait to introduce the little minnie or mickey to WDW sometime in 2010.

We weren't 100% planning on going to WDW again this October, unless we needed a some extra magic to help us along with our baby wishes. Now we don't "need" the trip, but I still want to go! It has been a very stressful (but healthy) 3 months so far, mostly with work and family issues and I just need a little R & R with just my DH in my favorite place!

DH says he would consider it, but is worried about 1. the money and 2. going to WDW when I'm pregnant. I told him lots of people on Intercot have gone when pregnant and had a great time and I would ask their opinion.

My main dilemma is where to stay. I know I could convince him to go if we were to stay at Pop Century because of the price. But we've never stayed there and he's worried that it won't be as relaxing during the "down time" (read: naps!) or convenient transportation-wise. I would LOVE to stay on the monorail but DH has already said no.

If you were going to WDW 4-5 months pregnant or with your preg spouse - would you splurge and stay at Wilderness Lodge or would you feel like Pop Century would still be a great vacation?

I've heard so many great things about Pop Century on here, but just don't know if it would be right for this trip... HELP!:confused:

Cozfamilyof6
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
I do hear great things about it. However, your DH may be correct about it not being so relaxing. It is a lot of young families and that always brings excitement and noise.

On the other hand...Wilderness Lodge and the surrounding views are very serene and the lobby is wonderful for relaxing. Artist Point is delicious and more 'grown up' than food courts.

Of course you have to consider your budget and what you can spend. Having 4 children I am most aware of how expensive babies are. Your little one is going to cost you a fortune - but it'll be the best money you'll every spend.

Flip side - because I have 4 children and my days of peace, quiet and relaxation are far behind me, I would love a deluxe resort 'get away' without the children......:cloud9:

Bottom line- it's up to you. Weigh cost vs. the importance of one last rest with hubby. Maybe consider a moderate resort too?

BTW, I went to Disney last fall 3 1/2 months pregnant, it was a breeze....I exercise 5x a week so walking and standing all day was not a problem. We also had our older 3 children with us, ages 5, 3, and 3. It was fun, crazy and relaxing all at the same time. I recommend enjoying the magic before your darling little one arrives no matter how you choose to do it.

Just pace yourself, take it easy and enjoy every single magical minute. :mickey:

January-2007
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
I would stay at Pop Century because I would be stressing over the money the whole time otherwise. I would pay for a Preferred room so the walk to the busses wouldn't be any big deal. October is a great time to be there, we were there last October. Good luck deciding! :mickey:

vamaggie
08-31-2007, 03:55 PM
I would contact Magical Journeys and have them run some numbers for you at WL and maybe some of the mods. I don't think I would vote for Pop due to the travel time to get back and forth for naps and the fact that it can be crowded/loud. I would do WL in a sec--it is our fav (stayed there our first trip). Very relaxing (maybe the last relaxing one for a while) Enjoy your trip where ever you end up and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

gueli
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
I agree with the others. Check around, maybe the mods should be considered too.
I think a nice relaxing trip at WL would be nice, but you need a cost comparison.
Congrats
Have a wonderful time with the little one when she/he gets here.
:mickey:

BelleBeauty
08-31-2007, 05:08 PM
I would compromise and go with a moderate resort. I love POP, but knowing you will be 4-5 months pregnant and probably taking naps and relaxing quite a bit more than normally, plus looking for a little extra in the comfort and convenience department, a mod will be better.

Have MJ run numbers for you. Look into the moderate you like best, and maybe the Contemporary. That is one of the cheaper deluxes and right on the monorail. You never know :mickey:

katzctkpt
08-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Looks like you've usually stayed at a deluxe. Going from a deluxe to a value may be a little drastic when you're used to certain things at the deluxe. I would try a moderate. We stay at POR alligator bayou it's very peaceful there and we love it. But for you guys I would say try the mansion side at POR heard a lot of great things about it. Good luck with your pregnancy and talking your hubby into going.

EmmMOM2
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Dont do wilderness as it is deluxe. why not try the moderate POR? very relaxing atmoshpere.

Jasper
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
I would disagree with the comment about POP not being as relaxing. We have found all the values to be just as "relaxing" as any of the other resorts. We have never been bothered by the noise at the value resorts or by the kids at the pools. In fact, we have had rooms on the first floor right by the pools and once the door was closed we never heard a sound from the outside.

Bottom line is to consider how stressed you are going to be about the money and go that way. For us we always choose value resorts because we spend so little time at the resort anyway that we would stress over the amount of money spent on anything more expensive.

Remember, regardless of what you choose to do a HUGE part of any vacation is your personal expectation of what will happen. If you go into it expecting POP to be noisy then you will normally find it to be so.

maizey05
09-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Congrats! Myself and DH had one last hurrah, last Oct., while I was 6 months prego w/DS. I would've been just fine, but shortly after arriving, I got a horrible case of strep throat/fever etc. DH ended up wheeling me around in a wheelchair, some of the time, as I was sick and tired. We stayed at CBR, and found it was quiet and nice. There was one morning I just wanted to rest, so I had DH and friends go to the EMH w/o me. I wouldn't stress over $$, and choose a mod or value.

#1donaldfan
09-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I've found POR AB to be very relaxing....even with my 3 kids....15,12, and 9......the area is so beautiful, shaded, relaxing, and in close proximtey to the food and busses.....especially food for those pending cravings......if you try POR, may I suggest building 18, 27 or 14.....they seem to be the closest to all your necessary needs......

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the new mouseketeer! :mickey:

We have stayed at Pop before and have really enjoyed ourselves, I have never found it "un-relaxing"...

We just went in May when I was 5 months pregnant with twins and I was miserable! It was just WAAAY too much walking for me. I know that i have twins, but my advice is to really slow down your pace from the normal go-go of other trips... I hope you have a wonderful vacation! The next one with your little one will be awesome! Good luck!