PDA

View Full Version : My dining plan/issues...

tyandskyesmom
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok, so we (me, Lou, Ty (will just have turned 9) and Skye (3 1/2) wil be in the world for 13 days (hopefully) beginning January 1, 2008. Well, the kids and I will be there for 13 days, Lou won't arrive until the 5th. I started out getting us APs since will will be there so long and then we'd get the DDE. Right now we had the room at a AAA rate. I have going around and around figuring on if the DDP would be a good deal for us or not. All of my senarios are close cost wise but we have issues with the DDP being too constrictive. I mean of corse, I would want to get my money's worth, if not more, and I love planning so that's not a problem. I have even thought about the Deluxe DDP but i am having a hard time committing. I think our main issues are that if for whatever reason it comes time for our ADR and we just don't feel like it and we are on the DDP, we are loosing money. It's almost like we would be pbligated to go and eat. Without the DDP we can still eat at the same places but have to option of backing out without loosing anything. Am I looking at this all the wrong way? We also would not always all order a dessert but we do often like a couple of appetizers and here and there Lou would have a beer instead of a Coke with his dinner. I think I am talking myself out of it as I type...but maybe sometimes, that's what you need right?

So anyway, I just finished making my second round of ADRs and did not have any problem getting what I wanted (we are under 130 days now). Let me know what you think about OOP vs. DDP for our situation. And, if there are any specific items that our out of this world at any of the places, let me know!

Tues 1-1-08 Sci-Fi @3pm--we love this place

Wed 1-2-08 NONE

Thurs 1-3-08 The Plaza @5pm--NEW

Fri 1-4-08 Restaurant Marrakesh @ 12pm-NEW

Sat 1-5-08 Brown Derby @ 5pm--NEW

Sun 1-6-08 Ohana @8am--NEW
Grand Floridian Cafe @5pm--NEW

Mon 1-7-08 BBB @ 8am
Akershus @2:20pm--loved dinner

1900 Park Fare @8pm--loved
breakfast

Tues 1-8-08 Hollywood & Vine @11:05am--loved
it last time!

Flying Fish @8:30pm--NEW

Wed 1-9-08 Narcoossee @8:30pm--NEW

Thurs 1-10-08 Kona Cafe @8:15pm--NEW

Fri 1-11-08 Le Cellier@11:30am--a must for us!

Sat 1-12-08 Coral Reef@11:30am--another must

Yachtsman Steakhouse@7pm--NEW

Sun 1-13-08 Chef Mickey's @11am--love it!

*the magenta ones are the ones I just added!

It is a lot of eating but to Lou, that is what a vacation is for...you'd never know it to look at him though!

Whadaya tink????

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Honestly, if you are getting AP's, I would get the DDE. Unless you are in the habit of going to a lot of signature restaurants and eating appetizers and desserts with every meal -- We found that the DDE was the far better deal... especially with kids. Our boys (9 and 3) aren't the mac n' cheese types, so we found that having them split an adult meal, or augmenting a kids entree with an adult appetizer suited their dining preferences better. We also rarely order dessert, as :bar: :bar: :bar: call us from the parks!!! I love a lot of your choices BTW! :thumbsup:

Goofeygal
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Don't forget to keep and eye our for annual passholder room discounts.:mickey:

Mandykay
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
I'd go with the AP's and the DDE. I've done that in the past(and will in the near future) and priced it out based on what I'd get at each restaurant, and the DDE made(makes) the most sense. Don't forget that you can use DDE on alcholic purchases. With the new dining plan restrictions it's probably not going to save you any $$...especially if you can get an AP room rate.

WRWDisney
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
One more plug for the DDE. With the changes to the dining plan, it is not anywhere near the "deal" it has been. You no longer get the appetizer, and you now have to tip. So, Disney dropped the cost for '08 by $1, but decreased the value by at least $14 (by my calculations--assuming a $7 appetizer and that 18% gratuity on $38.99 is $7).

That said, the DDE will allow you more flexibility and I would guess you will end up spending less money and feel that you have ate as well as you wanted to without any sacrifice.

Anyway, that's my :twocents:

floridamom
08-31-2007, 02:39 PM
You could hold on to your AAA discount and wait to make your decision until the AP discounts for that time period are announced. Last year they were released at the end of October/beginning of November. You may want to have your calculations handy, so you can make a quick decision. In our experience the AP rooms go quickly! (But you do NOT need to have already purchased an AP in order to qualify for the discount. They'll just ask for it at check-in).

If you are not sure you'll want to keep all your ADR's, you may appreciate the more flexible savings that the DDE provides. (And the discount on :beer:)

I read a post on another thread that the 2008 Dining Plan is only a great value if you max it out--that is, go to the most expensive TS restaurants and order the most expensive entrees. If you're not sure you'll be able or want to do that, then the AP/DDE option may be for you. (Not to mention, if you buy the APs, you could squeeze in another trip sometime before they expire! :mickey:)

Mickie the Pooh
09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=WRWDisney;1404434]One more plug for the DDE. With the changes to the dining plan, it is not anywhere near the "deal" it has been. You no longer get the appetizer, and you now have to tip. So, Disney dropped the cost for '08 by $1, but decreased the value by at least $14 (by my calculations--assuming a $7 appetizer and that 18% gratuity on $38.99 is $7)."

You tip figure is wrong tips on the current plan are on the cost of the meal not the plan and you should be planning to tip on the value of the meal not the plan as well.