PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Bayou - Not My Cup of Tea

mermaidmarian
08-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi All -

Just back from a wonderful 8 day trip to WDW. We stayed again at our favorite moderate resort - Port Orleans Riverside, and decided to give the Alligator Bayou lodges a try - previously we have always stayed in the Mansions section.

What is up with the laundry hanging over the railings to dry?!?! I was completely turned off by this and I cannot believe that Disney Resorts - with all the effort they put into theming and creating an environment, does not restrict guests from hanging - (these are just items that "I" observed): towels, bathing suits, socks, bras (YES!), shorts, cover-ups and t-shirts over the exterior railings to dry. It was tacky, distracting and did I mention tacky yet?

Disney provides laundry facilities for guests. I understand that it might be hard to get your wet clothing dry in the room - particularly if you are a family of 5 in that space - but there is no reason to have the laundry hanging outside like a roadside motel.

At check in, we were initially placed in Building 18. It turned out that our room was one of the rooms which had recently been converted from a smoking room. The reek was unbearable for us and we requested and received a room reassignment (thank goodness we were checking in relatively early in the day - as we simply could NOT have stayed in that room). We were reassigned to Building 15. The guest services cast member who attended to our complaint apologized and suggested that someone must have recently smoked in the room - I think more likely it is just very difficult to get the smell out of the carpets, wallpaper and upholstery. So, if you really need a non-smoking room (we do - my son and I are asthmatic), make sure you request a room that has not recently been converted to non-smoking.

Aside from this, our stay in AB was fine (MouseKeeping was great and they really treated my son we with towel animals set up in elaborate displays)- but we would probably not return to that part of the resort. I found the walkways unnecessarily labyrinthine (no wonder people often complain about how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B - you cannot go in a straight line).

katzctkpt
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry that you felt that way with the AB section of POR. That's where we request to stay each time. Bldg 18 is the one we like closest to the pool & food court. Also, the bus stop for the south depot is not to far either. Yes you have the winding paths but, I find that to be a relaxing walk.
As far as laundry hanging I'm guilty for hanging our beach towels over the railings. They just don't dry in the bathroom and I'm not going to the laundry each time to dry them at $2.00 a wack and sometimes you have to dry twice because the driers don't dry well.
Mousekeeping never had an issue. They made sure we had enough toiletries and had something fixed up for our children each day.

Septbride2002
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
It worries me about these prior smoking to non-smoking rooms. I'm hoping it won't be an issue for us next month.

~Amanda

#1donaldfan
08-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I am sorry you didn't like my home away from home. I've been in smoking rooms before and never really noticed smells that bad....it must have been someone who did not adhere to the rules. About the towels....what's really the problem with that.....anytime we've been there, there were towels about, but I never gave it a second thougt.....kinda reminds me of a relaxing "down home feel". Now about the clothes....I've NEVER seen that....EVER and I've stayed there A LOT. POR to us is the best moderate, bar none....Don't let that one experience do you in with POR AB......believe me, I have NEVER seen that.....I can only guess you were there with someone who just "lets it all hang out". I can almost be assured that you won't see that again. I can hardly beleive what you had to see. But.....even with that, your only at the resort a minimal amount of time, so hopefully it didn't spoil your whole Disney experience......give it another shot, you'll be glad you did.....

magicofdisney
08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I've seen a bra hanging outside a room before but it was at the All Stars. I don't get that. :confused:

Suzibell1968
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
We were in room 1540 Aug 21-29!!!

We really enjoyed POR but I have nothing to compare to other than All Star Music and Poly. But for my family, we loved it. The walk to the bus was soooo short and it wasn't too bad to the pool and food.

I have to agree with you on the clothing outside though. There were a lot of people doing it. My husband made the same comment you did....that he was surprised that Disney allowed it. I just brought extra hangers and clothespins from home and used the clothes line in the tub and the hanger rack. We got caught two nights out in those down pours and I never felt the need to hang my clothes outside.

We had a fantastic trip. We had Rosa as our main mouse keeper and she was so amazing. The three days she was off, we could really tell. We were on the second floor, right corner, parking lot side....where were you??

mermaidmarian
09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
We were in room 1540 Aug 21-29!!!

We really enjoyed POR but I have nothing to compare to other than All Star Music and Poly. But for my family, we loved it. The walk to the bus was soooo short and it wasn't too bad to the pool and food.

I have to agree with you on the clothing outside though. There were a lot of people doing it. My husband made the same comment you did....that he was surprised that Disney allowed it. I just brought extra hangers and clothespins from home and used the clothes line in the tub and the hanger rack. We got caught two nights out in those down pours and I never felt the need to hang my clothes outside.

We had a fantastic trip. We had Rosa as our main mouse keeper and she was so amazing. The three days she was off, we could really tell. We were on the second floor, right corner, parking lot side....where were you??

OMG, what a trip - we really were neighbors - we were in room 1535, right around the corner from you!

My family loves POR too - it is our first choice resort every time, and likely will be again - but I think we will return to the Mansions side instead of Alligator Bayou.

DS and I went to the Pirates and Princess Party (we renamed it the Pirates and Ponchos Party) on Friday night in those torrential rains. So yeah, we got wet too. :mickey:

Did you have a nice vacation? We had an awesome time. I miss it already!

Suzibell1968
09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
I felt for those people with P&PP tickets for the Friday night. But at least the rain was down to a light sprinkle by 8:30, so at least the whole night wasn't ruined. I heard lots of complaints about the fireworks and parade times being changed.

We were actually out on the lagoon from 9-10:30 waiting for the fireworks. We did a specialty cruise that night. All other people canceled but us, so our boat was the only boat out there when the fireworks went off at 10:30. It was so amazing.

I cannot believe we were so close! Too bad we didn't meet there. Or maybe we did and we just didn't know it! I have three easy to remember little boys....4, 7 & 9, two with blond hair and one with light red. Our P&PP was on the 28th. It was after free dining started and it was PACKED after about 8:30. I mean, shoulder to shoulder...packed. But it was a blast just the same. I got some beautiful pictures of the castle during the fireworks. If you are interested, feel free to check out my flickr site. I will send it PM because I bet it will get deleted if I post it here...I don't *think* I am allowed to post it.

We had a fantastic trip. I would stay at POR again in a heart beat. We have to stay in AB side though since there are 5 of us. The boys loved the pool. I think in the 8 days my 4 yr old must have gone down that slide well over 100 times, without exaggeration. He would come down, get out and walk right back up to do it again. I was so impressed with the life guards at that pool. They really kept a good watch on things.

I am glad you had a nice trip. I felt like I really knew what I was doing after all my hours spent here at Intercot and on TGM. It really was a magical vacation.