PDA

View Full Version : Get Out the Brooms!!!!!!!

Ian
08-30-2007, 05:32 PM
The sweep is complete! Phils take four in row from the dreaded Mets!

Two games back with 29 left to play ... Phils win the division ... Mark it! :number1:

PirateLover
08-30-2007, 05:50 PM
:clappy:WHOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say I have been let down so many times by the Phils that I'm not about to go making bold predictions but I thoroughly enjoyed this series and not just because we swept. It was very exciting, today especially. What a crazy game.

I really like the character of this team right now- and how about Burrell? What a turnaround. If only we had some dependable relief...but what else is new...:wait:

Scar
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
:sick: :ack: :sick: :ack: :sick: :ack:

BMan62
08-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Had they not been inundated with injuries this year they may already have been leading the division.

Now that Utley is back and Hamels is on his way back, maybe they can bring it all together and get back to the post season!:cloud9:

I really enjoyed sitting up at the top of Veterans Stadium in '93 during the World Series! I want to get back there again. (Although I dropped my season tickets in '94.:mad:)

chefmickey3
08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Go Phillies!

Ian
08-30-2007, 09:10 PM
:sick: :ack: :sick: :ack: :sick: :ack::rotfl:

I'm mostly kidding with my "mark it" comment ... the Phils haven't won doodly in too long for me to talk trash.

But this was just about the most exciting four days in sports I can remember in a long time!! :D

DizneyFreak2002
08-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Ahhh there was a sweep that was even greater than this.... And believe me, I enjoyed the Phillies beating the Mets.... But, let's face it... Where the Yankees were in the beginning of the season to now, sweeping the Red Sox is a lot better than the Phillies sweeping a falling apart Met team.....

Gottaluvgoof
08-30-2007, 10:04 PM
GO CARDINALS!

Honestly, I can't believe they even have a chance with the way they have played this season. I have to say though, last year was VERY FUN! :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
GO CARDINALS!

Honestly, I can't believe they even have a chance with the way they have played this season. I have to say though, last year was VERY FUN! :thumbsup:

If they do it again this year.....

Hammer
08-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh my goodness, this week of Phillies baseball has been tremendous! I was at Tuesday night's game and I didn't think that could be topped, but the Phillies did it!

I am planning to be at the series at Shea in a couple of weeks, as it coincides with my sister's birthday.

Oh, here is what I have to say to you, Scar :razz: :D !

PirateLover
08-31-2007, 12:25 AM
I am planning to be at the series at Shea in a couple of weeks, as it coincides with my sister's birthday.

My brother and cousin are going there as well! I wish I could go but they are leaving before I get done school, and I can't take off because it's a temp substitute job. Also I have a christening that sunday. Have fun!!!!!

Scar
08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
OK, now that I've been able to pick myself up off the bathroom floor and had a little time to think...[takes a deep breath]... I still think we're in decent shape. The phills still have to win 3 more games than the Mets, and the Mets have 19 of their remaining 29 games against bad teams. The Phillies only have 13 games against bad teams. We'll be OK.

And then of course I'll get double revenge when the Giants beat the Eagles twice this year. :stir:

Gottaluvgoof
08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
If they do it again this year.....

Wouldn't that be something? :D

Ian
08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
OK, now that I've been able to pick myself up off the bathroom floor and had a little time to think...[takes a deep breath]... I still think we're in decent shape. The phills still have to win 3 more games than the Mets, and the Mets have 19 of their remaining 29 games against bad teams. The Phillies only have 13 games against bad teams. We'll be OK.

And then of course I'll get double revenge when the Giants beat the Eagles twice this year. :stir:Actually if you knew anything about the Phillies you'd know that that works in OUR favor, not yours. We always lose to bad teams and beat good ones.

Also, you left out the fact that three of our games are against the Mets again. There's the three wins we need right there. ;)

As far as the Giants comment goes ... I won't even grace that with a response. Try finding me anyone who predicts the Giants any better than third place in the NFC East. I dare ya.

They'll be lucky to win two games at all let alone two games against the Eagles!

Scar
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
They'll be lucky to win two games at all let alone two games against the Eagles!As long as those are the two games. Then we get the #1 pick and Bill Cowher, I'll take it.

Epc0tphr34k
08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
the phils can't do well. philadelphia sports is much like highlander...there can only be one and i want the birds to take a shot at the superbowl

Ian
08-31-2007, 11:52 AM
the phils can't do well. philadelphia sports is much like highlander...there can only be one and i want the birds to take a shot at the superbowlAhh that's just recent history ... in 1980 I think three of our four professional teams either played for or won a championship!

It can happen again!

Ian
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
As long as those are the two games. Then we get the #1 pick and Bill Cowher, I'll take it.You sound like an Eagles fan from the late 80's/early 90's. "As long as we beat the Cowboys twice, who cares what else happens!"

PirateLover
08-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Ahh that's just recent history ... in 1980 I think three of our four professional teams either played for or won a championship!

It can happen again!

Philadelphia Sports in 1980
76ers lose to Lakers in NBA finals
Flyers lose Stanley cup to Islanders
Eagles lose Super Bowl XV to Raiders
Tug McGraw strikes out Willie Wilson to beat Kansas City and the Phillies become World Series champs!

Scar
09-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey, thanks for letting us take that broom from you. We'll give it back to you when you leave Shea on the 16th. :D

Ian
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I told you it was worse for us if we played bad teams.

We sweep four in a row from the division champs and then lose two of three to the dog Florida Marlins.

That's so Phillies. :rolleyes:

Scar
09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Does anyone know if the Phillies won last night? :D

Hammer
09-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Scar, don't be mean :( ! I can't believe another pitcher is hurt! This is crazy! People may not like Charlie Manuel, but he has managed to keep this team in the playoff race (and yes, they are still in it even after last night) with the pitching equivalent of duct tape and string!

Ian
09-13-2007, 01:18 PM
I refuse to make excuses for this team. They're perennial losers.

Had they done their homework in the off-season and if they weren't so darn CHEAP we wouldn't be saddled with stiffs like Leiber, Eaton, and Garcia in the first place.

I keep trying to root for this team and they keep reminding me why I'm never successful at it. I have zero interest in supporting a team that's far more concerned about turning a profit than they are about winning.

I wonder what they're going to do next season when their fancy new stadium is a ghost town??

Hammer
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I refuse to make excuses for this team. They're perennial losers.

Had they done their homework in the off-season and if they weren't so darn CHEAP we wouldn't be saddled with stiffs like Leiber, Eaton, and Garcia in the first place.

I keep trying to root for this team and they keep reminding me why I'm never successful at it. I have zero interest in supporting a team that's far more concerned about turning a profit than they are about winning.

I wonder what they're going to do next season when their fancy new stadium is a ghost town??

Okay, Ian, I have to correct you on a few things here. I agree about the Garcia trade being a mistake (though they really didn't give up much as Floyd does not have the mental makeup for Philly) but 10 million isn't cheap. The price for Eaton was the average price for a pitcher. Would you rather they had paid $136 million dollars for Zito and have him be atrocious here? Leiber did well for us the first year and half of the 3 year contract. It's the risk that is taken with multiple year contracts in baseball. The Phillies have the 5th highest payroll in baseball, so they spend the money, just don't always make the prudent choices.

Also, the ballpark will not be a "ghost town", as you put it. Even in the mid to late 90's, the Phillies still out drew teams like the Pirates, Marlins and others. They'll be a dropoff, but not as big as you think.

Whatever happens, I'll still be back next year because win or lose, I stand by my teams.

Ian
09-13-2007, 04:37 PM
The Phillies have the 5th highest payroll in baseball, so they spend the money, just don't always make the prudent choices.That's totally false. I don't know where that rumor comes from, but it's totally untrue.

They have the 14th highest payroll in MLB. Here's the breakdown:

1 Yankees $195,229,045
2 Red Sox $143,526,214
3 Mets $117,915,819
4 White Sox $109,680,167
5 Angels $109,251,333
6 Dodgers $108,704,524
7 Mariners $106,516,833
8 Cubs $99,937,000
9 Tigers $95,180,369
10 Orioles $95,107,807
11 Giants $90,469,056
12 Cardinals $90,286,823
13 Braves $89,492,685
14 Phillies $89,368,214
15 Astros $87,759,500
16 A's $79,938,369
17 Blue Jays $79,925,600
18 Brewers $71,986,500
19 Twins $71,439,500
20 Reds $69,154,980
21 Rangers $68,818,675
22 Royals $67,366,500
23 Indians $61,673,267
24 Padres $58,235,567
25 Rockies $54,424,000
26 D'backs $52,067,546
27 Pirates $38,604,500
28 Nationals $37,347,500
29 Marlins $30,507,000
30 Devil Rays $24,124,200

Notice the teams that are ahead of them? See any familiar names? Mets ... Cubs ... Braves ... Dodgers ... Yankees ... Red Sox ... Tigers ... Angels ...

All teams that are ahead of or right there with the Phillies in the standings.

Now admittedly, there are teams like the Diamondbacks and the Padres that are below them in the standings and still have better records. But that's more than likely due to another weakness of the Phillies. They probably have a lot of cheap, homegrown talent that's come up through their farm systems.

Whatever happens, I'll still be back next year because win or lose, I stand by my teams.I refuse to stand behind a team that I know won't do everything it takes to win.

PirateLover
09-13-2007, 04:44 PM
People may not like Charlie Manuel, but he has managed to keep this team in the playoff race (and yes, they are still in it even after last night) with the pitching equivalent of duct tape and string!
Honestly Christine, I'm not a fan of this reasoning. I think that the Phillies have won games in spite of Manuel, not because of him. I think that many of the players on this team are self-motivated, like Utley, Rollins, Victorino... I think these guys would succeed under any manager. You can make an arguement maybe for Pat Burrell, but I think his is also a case of having bad seeds out of the clubhouse and winners with positive attitudes inside the clubhouse. Although the manager's attitude does play into that clubhouse atmosphere, his in game decisions have at times been questionable, and sometimes downright puzzling. I do not want to see him back here again.

I refuse to make excuses for this team. They're perennial losers...

The thing is, as much as I may not like management, I am still a die hard fan. I LOVE this Phillies team aside from the pitching staff. We have players that are having fun but are still serious about winning. If only the management/owners got serious about winning instead of just making enough moves to scrape by. That being said, you can't discount the fact that the Phillies have had amazingly bad luck this year when it comes to pitching. 13 starting pitchers in one season? Wow.

I will continue to root for the Phils but I'm not going to put my heart fully into it because I'm tired of it getting broken. So I watch games, but I don't curse or get those nervous palpitations like I used to. But I will always be a fan and will continue to go to games.

Hammer
09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a number of $95 million, which definitely makes a difference in where the team would rank for payroll. Where did you get your figures (not that I'm doubting you) and are they from the start of the season or how it is presently constituted? I think my figure is from the start of the season.

I just don't agree with that mentality (I call it the WIP syndrome) of fan support. Any team I follow, I stick with them through thick and thin. To use a different example, I was a fan of the Bucs when they were 0-26 and I'm a fan still today. You don't think there were bonehead decisions made by the Bucs over the years which made me upset? I'm still mad that they let John Lynch go! Let's say it's the Eagles. Did you abandon them when Brahman owned the team or the Kotite years?

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this topic. You aren't going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. We are entitled to our different opinions on this subject.

Hammer
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Honestly Christine, I'm not a fan of this reasoning. I think that the Phillies have won games in spite of Manuel, not because of him. I think that many of the players on this team are self-motivated, like Utley, Rollins, Victorino... I think these guys would succeed under any manager. You can make an arguement maybe for Pat Burrell, but I think his is also a case of having bad seeds out of the clubhouse and winners with positive attitudes inside the clubhouse. Although the manager's attitude does play into that clubhouse atmosphere, his in game decisions have at times been questionable, and sometimes downright puzzling. I do not want to see him back here again.

Yes, he does make bonehead in-game decisions, but honestly so do a lot of other managers. I like to read the articles on him from non- Philadelphia reporters, because I think they tend to be less biased. Almost all of those articles say the players will walk over hot coals for that man. That's why a player like Victorino keeps trying to play even though he is not healed. Charlie has them thinking team first. I don't necessarily think he should come back, but if he pulls out a miracle and we get to the playoffs, he will probably be back.

Ian
09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Christine, I want to be clear ... I have nothing but positive feelings for Charlie Manuel. Is he the best in-game manager ever? No. Do I feel that he more than makes up for that in the way he's able to get the most out of his players? Absolutely.

The issue I have is with ownership. I can't respect any pro sports franchise that basically openly admits they won't do everything within their power to win. And that means if they decline to spend an extra $5 million a season to get the best available pitcher, I have an issue with that.

And as far as my figures ... I got them here:

http://blog.sportscolumn.com/story/2007/4/9/1367/60158/

PirateLover
09-14-2007, 01:55 AM
. Do I feel that he more than makes up for that in the way he's able to get the most out of his players? Absolutely.

:ack: ;)

Scar
09-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I refuse to stand behind a team that I know won't do everything it takes to win.According to your list, there are 16 teams doing less than the Phillies are. Should their fans refuse to support them? Are you a huge baseball fan? You are apparently a huge hockey and football fan, do you have the same level of support for them? The comparison I am trying to make is that I am a huge baseball and football fan and have supported the Giants during the John McVay and Ray Handley years. I supported the Mets through the Joe Torre, Jeff Torborg, and Art Howe years. On the other hand, I root for the Devils and the Nets, but because I am not a huge hockey or basketball fan, I couldn’t care less how much effort they put forth. I like it when their good, and pretty much ignore them when they’re bad (although it’s been a long time since the Devils were bad. ;) )

Hammer
09-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Scar, are you going to be at any of the games this weekend? I'll be at tomorrow's game, hoping Pat Burrell keeps up his great record of success against the Mets ;) !

Scar
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
No. I haven't even been to Shea this year. I usually only go a couple times a year because it's about a 2 hour drive (depending on traffic), but this year the parking situation is bad because of the new stadium construction. Make sure you arrive very early if you're driving.

Philly is an hour or less for me.

Hammer
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
I am lucky as I do not have to drive to the game. My sister lives in Weehawken, so I park my car by her place and we take a $2 shuttle to Port Authority, then pick up the 7 train to the stadium. So I have gone to a couple of games at Shea this year.

Ian
09-14-2007, 04:35 PM
According to your list, there are 16 teams doing less than the Phillies are. Should their fans refuse to support them? Are you a huge baseball fan? You are apparently a huge hockey and football fan, do you have the same level of support for them? The comparison I am trying to make is that I am a huge baseball and football fan and have supported the Giants during the John McVay and Ray Handley years. I supported the Mets through the Joe Torre, Jeff Torborg, and Art Howe years. On the other hand, I root for the Devils and the Nets, but because I am not a huge hockey or basketball fan, I couldn’t care less how much effort they put forth. I like it when their good, and pretty much ignore them when they’re bad (although it’s been a long time since the Devils were bad. ;) )There's a difference, though. You're talking about some teams who had bad eras ... every team has that.

The Phillies are the all-time losingest franchise in all of pro sports. In excess of 10,000 losses and only one single, solitary championship in their 100+ year history.

Also, I'm not much more than a casual baseball fan. Football and hockey are my sports, so yes ... I support the Eagles and Flyers pretty much religiously.

PirateLover
09-15-2007, 11:05 AM
The Phillies are the all-time losingest franchise in all of pro sports. In excess of 10,000 losses and only one single, solitary championship in their 100+ year history.

They are also the oldest one city, one nickname team in sports history. And it's not like you can pin 10,000 losses on this team and this management. Another thing to remember is that many of those losses actually come from the turn of the century. The Phillies were the throwaway team in this town. No one cared about them or went to games because most had been fan of the Athletics who moved to Oakland in 1890. In the Phillies first season they were 17-81....

I agree with you that there hasn't been enough done to make this current team as good as possible, but many of the pieces are there. They didn't have one winning season from 1993-2001. Since then they are over .500 and have finished 2nd in NL East (I think 2 years they might've been 3rd).

I'm very passionate about almost all Philly teams. I guess the Sixers might be my "casual" team. But the Phillies were my first my love when it came to pro sports and I just can't abandon them. Even in their worst years I went to countless games and hoped for the best. Now I've learned to add a prefix to that sentence... "expect the worst" ;)

Ian
09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
:rolleyes:

This team is just so maddening ... last night we took our sixth in a row from the Mets, but we still continue to lose to the teams we should be beating the snot out of.

Quite honestly, I really hope they somehow sneak into the playoffs and face the Mets, because I have no doubt we'd win that series!

PirateLover
09-15-2007, 01:34 PM
:rolleyes:

This team is just so maddening ... last night we took our sixth in a row from the Mets, but we still continue to lose to the teams we should be beating the snot out of.

Can't disagree there. I don't get why we always have problems with those stupid fish who are at the bottom of the league!!! SO frustrating.

Scar
09-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Great game last night.

...most had been fan of the Athletics who moved to Oakland in 1890.Sorry, but I'm anel about stuff like this. ;)

The A's moved from Philly after the 1954 season. Played in Kansas City from 1955 - 1967. Oakland since 1968.

Ian
09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
:number1:

Again ... 7 in a row ... If this team played the Mets every day we'd have the best record in baseball.

Ian
09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
8 in a row! :number1:

It's almost funny now. You can tell the Phils are totally inside the Mets' heads. 6 errors?? Crazy ...

PirateLover
09-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Great game last night.
Sorry, but I'm anel about stuff like this. ;)

The A's moved from Philly after the 1954 season. Played in Kansas City from 1955 - 1967. Oakland since 1968.

Ummm i have no clue why I wrote 1890. I'm chalking it up to the fact that I've been battling a nasty sinus infection and have been drugged up. The reason I really do know the A's were around much longer is because my grandfather always talks about going to A's games-and he wasn't born until 1920. LOL! And of course there is all those pennants they won. That was what I was trying to say, that the two teams were in competition and no one cared about the phils because the A's were the winning team. I really don't know where I got that year from. Maybe it was the year they switched leagues? For some reason that year was in my head, and I'm too tired to look it up and see if it's anything significant. Thanks for correcting me.

Anyways, Ian are you back on the bandwagon now or do you just relish beating the Mets? :cool:

Ian
09-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Anyways, Ian are you back on the bandwagon now or do you just relish beating the Mets? :cool:I relish beating any team from New York, I don't care who they are.

Like, for example ... I'm really going to relish it when the Eagles hand the Giants their fourth loss of the season on September 30th.

Hammer
09-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Back from my sister's and our Phillies-Mets weekend. Very happy with the outcome,though I wish the Giants could have taken at least 1 game from the Padres :mad: .

We were at Saturday's game in decent outer field box seats (we could read Pat Burrell's facial expressions). My sister, whose birthday was Saturday, is funny. When we were losing in the middle innings, she says that I may not be allowed to go with her to any more Phillies-Mets games at Shea as I seem to be bad luck for the Phillies (they lost at the game we went to in April). When Jimmy Rollins hit the triple, my sister said I may get a reprieve :laughing:.

PirateLover
09-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Back from my sister's and our Phillies-Mets weekend. Very happy with the outcome,though I wish the Giants could have taken at least 1 game from the Padres :mad: .

We were at Saturday's game in decent outer field box seats (we could read Pat Burrell's facial expressions). My sister, whose birthday was Saturday, is funny. When we were losing in the middle innings, she says that I may not be allowed to go with her to any more Phillies-Mets games at Shea as I seem to be bad luck for the Phillies (they lost at the game we went to in April). When Jimmy Rollins hit the triple, my sister said I may get a reprieve :laughing:.
Did you see any fights? I (unfortunately) have heard that there was at least one fight per inning during the later parts of the game.

Hammer
09-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Did you see any fights? I (unfortunately) have heard that there was at least one fight per inning during the later parts of the game.

To my knowledge there were 3 fights, though one fight morphed into another fight. These fights occurred in the upper levels at Shea (their 700 level). I was a bit dismayed at the slow response by the Mets event staff. One fight at least 10 punches before event staff arrived. Hopefully staffing will be increased when Citi Field is opened like staffing was increased when the Phillies opened their park. The fights have definitely drastically decreased in our new ball park.

Scar
09-17-2007, 09:52 AM
I still say we're OK. We actually gained a game since the last sweep and I like our remaining schedule over the Phillies. The thing I'm most upset about is that we could have knocked you out of the wild card, but now we may have to play you again in the NLCS.

Scar
09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I relish beating any team from New York, I don't care who they are.

Like, for example ... I'm really going to relish it when the Eagles hand the Giants their fourth loss of the season on September 30th.The Giants are from New Jersey. ;)

Scar
09-17-2007, 09:56 AM
When Jimmy Rollins hit the triple, my sister said I may get a reprieve :laughing:.Should have been an error. :shake:

Ian
09-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I still say we're OK. We actually gained a game since the last sweep and I like our remaining schedule over the Phillies. The thing I'm most upset about is that we could have knocked you out of the wild card, but now we may have to play you again in the NLCS.I actually agree with you. I still see very little chance for the Phils to win the division.

The Phils have 13 games remaining, 7 on the road and 6 at home. They have three coming up at the Cardinals, four at the Nationals, and then finish up at home with three against Atlanta and three more against the Nationals.

I'd say best case, they win 7 of those 13 (given how they play against bad teams). That means the Mets would have to lose like 10 of their remaining fourteen games in order for the Phils to catch them.

No ... it's wildcard or nothing for the Phils. But I do actually think they have a decent shot at the wildcard. My guess is Arizona will fall back to the Padres and that leaves the door open for the Phils to slip in there.

Ian
09-19-2007, 11:24 AM
I still say we're OK. We actually gained a game since the last sweep and I like our remaining schedule over the Phillies. The thing I'm most upset about is that we could have knocked you out of the wild card, but now we may have to play you again in the NLCS.Huh ... Mets have lost five in a row ... Phils have won six in a row ... we're only a game and a half back ... huh. :secret:

Scar
09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
The last time the Mets lost 5 in a row, they went on to win 9 of 10. We're right where we want to be. :rolleyes:

Ian
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
In a fit of bad timing, the Phils and Mets both broke their streaks on the same night.

We're 2.5 back now ... in both the division and the wildcard.

BRJARE3
09-25-2007, 05:36 PM
This whole thread could be my house. I am a huge Mets fan and my husband, God bless him, is a Phillies fan. It has been very interesting the last 9 years. But, every time I go to a Phillies - Mets game in Philly, there is always, always more Mets fans. Not quite like being in Shea, but it comes close. Bottom line is that the Phillies are still behind the Mets. Still. Just like they have been all season. Just like how they will be when the season ends. Even the Inquirer doubts that they can win! Smart writers!!

GO METS!!!

Ian
09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Awfully optimistic for a team that's lost 8 of their last 14 games!

Not to mention that, while the Phils may in fact be behind the Mets in the standings, they've kicked the behind of the Mets in head-to-head play. ;)

I can't decide what I want to happen most ... for the Phils to get the wildcard and then beat the Mets in the playoffs or if it would be better to just oust them from playoff contention entirely, thus crushing the hopes and dreams of every Met fan.

Choices, choices! :D

Of course, neither will be as enjoyable as when the Eagles beat the Giants on their home turf this Sunday.

DAKustodial
09-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Just wanted to chime in really fast...I have a partial season ticket plan and I have NEVER seen more Mets fans than Phils fans at Citizen's Bank Park. A lot do make the drive down the turnpike, but there are always more Phillies fans.

I'm so excited for this week of Phillies baseball! Phillies fans, I know we've been close the last couple of years with a week to go, but this team just feels different...doesn't it?

My fiance and I just moved into our new house and I'm sitting on my new couch in my newly painted family room watching my new 56" High Def. TV. Life is good.

Let's Go Phils!!!

PirateLover
09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Just wanted to chime in really fast...I have a partial season ticket plan and I have NEVER seen more Mets fans than Phils fans at Citizen's Bank Park. A lot do make the drive down the turnpike, but there are always more Phillies fans.

I have to agree. My boyfriend bless his misguided soul used to be a casual Mets fan solely because his aunt and uncle took him to see his first baseball game at Shea. Fortunately over the 5 years we've been dating I've been able to convert him to a Phillies fan. (Still working on converting him from a :thedolls: fan to the Flyers but I don't see that happening anytime soon).
At any rate, we've tried to make at least one Phillies-Mets game every year, sometimes more. I will concede that the Mets fans make always make strong showing and there are certainly more of them there than I would like to see, but there is no way that they actually outnumber the Phillies fans, at least not at any of the games I've attended.

Hammer
09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I am also a partial season ticket holder and I attended two Phillies/Mets games at Citizens Bank Park. There are definitely Mets fans but in no way do they come close to outnumbering the Phillies fans, as witnessed to the fact that they were booed into submission if they tried to start a Mets chant :D .

Tonight was not good for the Phillies, but the Mets lost as well and the Padres and Rockies are currently losing, so hopefully nothing changes. I could care less how we get into the playoffs, just that we get there.

Ian
09-26-2007, 07:20 AM
That was a bad loss last night, especially since the Padres came back to win their game.

We're back to being a game back in the wildcard again and we missed a glorious opportunity to gain on the Mets.

Hopefully, this isn't the beginning of the Phils typical end of season collapse. :ill:

JanetMegan
09-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Go BRAVES!!! I secretly hope the Braves (who don't stand a chance of getting into the playoffs) still manage to knock out Philly ;) I love spoiler teams!!

(Running to hide-quickly.)

Melanie
09-26-2007, 08:18 AM
(Running to hide-quickly.)

I'm running with you, Janet! And Chipper needs to work on that batting title anyway. ;)

Scar
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
This is the closest thing I could find to a Tomahawk Chop

:badpc:

Scar,

Temporary Braves Fan

Hammer
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
This is the closest thing I could find to a Tomahawk Chop

:badpc:

Scar,

Temporary Braves Fan

Even though I am a Phillies fan, you made me laugh, Scar :laughing:. I actually think that this :badpc: more accurately represents what the Phillies have done to the Mets this season.

Don't get me started on Lawrence Jones, either ;) . Janet and Mel, I realize he is a good 'ol boy, but grown men should not be called Chipper or Bubba! Shorten it to Larry; that is a perfectly acceptable adult name! Um, and why did Andruw Jones(no problem with his name as he is from a Dutch owned island) decide now to hit? I'm hearing that Boras is asking 5 years, $75 million. Really, the way he has been playing all season? I'm afraid of what Rowand's asking price will be!

Scar
09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Shorten it to Larry; that is a perfectly acceptable adult name!Yea, but then it wouldn't as funny when the Met fans chant "Laaaa-ree, Laaaa-ree".

Ian
09-26-2007, 03:51 PM
For getting chanting ... what the Mets need to be concerned about right now is the complete and total free-fall they're in.

They've only won 6 out of their last 15 games. That's bad.

They're just lucky the Phils keep choking at the right time. Just like they always do ... :rolleyes:

Scar
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
They've only won 6 out of their last 15 games.Last year, the Cardinals did pretty much the exact same thing at this exact same time. Let's see... what did they end up doing?

Ian
09-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Last year, the Cardinals did pretty much the exact same thing at this exact same time. Let's see... what did they end up doing?Very true.

But what are the odds of that happening two years in a row? The Cards stole all your mojo. :D

Melanie
09-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Shorten it to Larry; that is a perfectly acceptable adult name!

Even if he did, no one would call him that, except for the aforementioned Mets fans. ;)

Hammer
09-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey, Mets fans, don't look now :spy: :tiptoe: but it's just 1 game now...and the pressure on the Mets is visibly showing.

Ian
09-27-2007, 09:12 AM
They've only won 6 out of their last 15 games. That's bad.Huh ... 6 out of their last 16 ... that's worse ...

:D

PirateLover
09-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I'll be at the game tonight... CBP will be rocking... let's hope it stays that way the whole night!!!!!
The goal is to hear a lot of this phrase: "Everybody hits!!! WOOOOO!"

Ian
09-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Huh .... make that 6 out of their last 17 ... the words "epic collapse" come to mind ...

Huh ... the Phils won tonight ... that makes then 12 and 17 over the same time span ... huh ...

Oh, look at that ... the Mets and the Phils are tied for the division lead now ... huh ... what do you know about that?

PirateLover
09-27-2007, 10:34 PM
The game was GREAT! You couldn't hear yourself think when they flashed the Mets score on the big screen. They actually showed the last out of the game live and everyone went nuts. It was quite a raucous scene leaving the stadium. We took an elevator down and a man on there with us claims he was there when the Cards won the world series and it wasn't as wild as tonight.

There was also an arrogant Braves fan one section over. When they came back with the 3 runs, he got up and started taunting people. An inning later he started a fight and got ejected. I wish I was going to more games but it looks like I'll have to watch these last 3 from home... maybe I'll be lucky and get some playoff tickets...:fingers:

Scar
09-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Umm... Can we get a Moderator to delete this thread please? :blush:

To be honest though, I still feel confident. We have Florida who seem to have quit and can't play defense, while you have Washington who have been playing great and want to prove something.

Hammer
09-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Umm... Can we get a Moderator to delete this thread please? :blush:

To be honest though, I still feel confident. We have Florida who seem to have quit and can't play defense, while you have Washington who have been playing great and want to prove something.

Um, did you miss the fact that the Marlins just swept the Cubs? I don't think they have quit. That said, I agree that the Nationals are still fighting as well.

Charlie has the right mindset; take each game as it comes. You heard both Randolph and Pinella say they needed to win the next 3 games. They keep looking too far ahead. Charlie is still preparing if the Phillies make the playoffs. That's why Hamels is starting tonight on regular 4 days rest because if they make the playoffs, Hamels could start game 1 on full rest.

Ian
09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
There was also an arrogant Braves fan one section over. When they came back with the 3 runs, he got up and started taunting people. An inning later he started a fight and got ejected.Now see ... I just don't get that.

How do you chirp and run your mouth when you're a Braves fan in that situation? That guy's a fool.

I remember back in like the 2003 Stanley Cup playoffs, the Flyers were playing the Maple Leafs. We had ousted them from the playoffs the previous year, we'd won the season series with them, we were up in the current series 1-0, and we were winning the current game 2-0.

And yet, this dolt Leafs fan sat in front of us and shot his mouth off the entire game. He ended up getting a verbal beat-down from some little fireplug, Italian, South-Phillyman ... and looked foolish when the Flyers won the game (and eventually the series).

Scar
09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
How do you chirp and run your mouth when you're a Braves fan in that situation?Alcohol.

Ian
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Alcohol.Good point. If I was a Braves fan, I'd want to be drunk a lot too.

Scar
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
How do you think us Mets fans feel right about now. :ill:

Ian
09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
How do you think us Mets fans feel right about now. :ill:Eh ... it's not over yet. They're only tied. Odds are probably better than even that the Mets still end up winning the division.

Now the Braves, on the other hand, they're goose is cooked!

wedway fan
09-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Now the Braves, on the other hand, they're goose is cooked!

which is probably the ONLY thing giving us mets fans any solace right now. (no matter how bad things get for us, as long as the braves and/or the yankees are hurting too, life is OK).

a one-game phillies-mets playoff may be looming... not good news for us given our last 7 tries.

Ian
09-28-2007, 01:14 PM
a one-game phillies-mets playoff may be looming... not good news for us given our last 7 tries.Perspective is a funny thing ... I actually fear a one game playoff, because (in my mind) the Mets are overdue to win one from us.

Scar
09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
The biggest problem about Monday from the Mets perspective is "who's gonna pitch?"

Pelfrey, Humber, El Duque?

I wouldn't be suprised if the Mets used 10 pitchers in that game.

But I still think the Mets will win one more game than the Phillies this weekend.

Scar
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Oh, and regarding the whole rivalry issue, no matter what happens this year, I’m hoping that the Phillies and Mets are both good and battling for the division for a long time. In the ‘80’s I hated the Cardinals. In the early ‘90’s I hated the Pirates. Realignment made me hate the Braves from the mid ‘90’s till now. The Phillies and Mets have never been good at the same time. I pretty much live right between NY and Philly, and I love the rivalry that the Giants and Eagles have. For me it started with “The Miracle in the Meadowlands” and intensified with Buddy :ack: Ryan and Randall Cunningham. I would really love for the same type of rivalry in Baseball to happen.

I actually liked the Braves in the early ‘90’s when they were in the West.

Ian
09-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Well honestly, the Phils have been so pathetic the last 14 years they really didn't have any rivalries to speak of.

But as far as the Eagles go, the rivalry with the Giants pales in comparison to what we have with the Cowboys.

Ask any Eagles fan whether they would choose a Super Bowl victory with two regular season losses to the Cowboys or an early playoff exit and two regular season victories over the Cowboys and I guarantee every one of them would have a tough time deciding!

Scar
09-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Um, did you miss the fact that the Marlins just swept the Cubs? I don't think they have quit.No, but I don't think the Cubs are that good either. I'm no fortune teller ;), but I just think the Mets are going to win more games this weekend than the Phillies. We'll see. Good luck! :thumbsup:

A few years ago Fred Wilpon said he just wanted to see the Mets playing meaningful in September. He got his wish. :rolleyes:

Scar
09-28-2007, 06:44 PM
But as far as the Eagles go, the rivalry with the Giants pales in comparison to what we have with the Cowboys.

Ask any Eagles fan whether they would choose a Super Bowl victory with two regular season losses to the Cowboys or an early playoff exit and two regular season victories over the Cowboys and I guarantee every one of them would have a tough time deciding!Really?

I always assumed the Cowboys and Redskins were the bigger rivalry. :shrug: I can guarantee you the Eagle fans in Central Jersey hate the Giants more than the Cowboys. Perhaps it’s a location issue. Maybe the Giant fans in NY and CT hate the Cowboys more too. ;)

But come on, I have a hard time believing anyone would give up a Super bowl for two regular season games.

Hammer
09-28-2007, 11:00 PM
The Phillies are in first place :jaw: :yay: :muscles: :clappy: :joy: ! The magic number is 2!

Ian
09-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Huh .... make that 6 out of their last 18 ... the "epic collapse" comes closer to fruition ...

Huh ... the Phils won tonight ... that makes then 13 and 18 over the same time span ... huh ...

Oh, look at that ... the Mets now trail the Phillies by a game in the division ... huh ... what do you know about that?

As far as the Cowboys/Eagles/Giants question ... it's a location issue. When you get near that dividing line in Jersey where the Giants fans start and the Eagles fans end, then yeah ... they may hate the Giants more. But for real Philadelphias, it's not even a contest.

PirateLover
09-29-2007, 09:37 AM
But for real Philadelphias, it's not even a contest.
I concur. I hate the Cowboys more than anyone.

oh....and GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scar
09-29-2007, 08:08 PM
:faint:

DizneyFreak2002
09-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Comes down to tomorrow.... Will the Mets survive (hope not)?? Will the Phillies take back what is theirs??? Will Jimmy Rollins look like Nostradamus???? All this to be answered tomorrow, September 30... The last day of the 2007 MLB regular season... By the way, must really make the mets fans mad since they did nothing but bash the Yankees in the beginning of the season, and now their season hangs by a thread while the Yankees play on.... LOL....

Hammer
09-30-2007, 12:50 AM

My sentiments exactly! Whatever happens tomorrow (and I'll be at Citizens Bank Park) this has been one heck of a ride :coaster::baseball: .

Hey, Bobby, no interloping in the NL thread :razz: !

Carol
09-30-2007, 07:55 AM

Yeah. :dizzy: It will be a heck of a day.

Regardless of the outcome; I can say I am happy for you, Christine. I know you're not a fair weather fan or bandwagon jumper. You truly love the sport and always remain loyal your team.

Hey, Bobby, no interloping in the NL threadThank you, Christine. I am so tired of the generalizations and judgments.

Contrary to what some may believe, most Met/baseball fans could care less about the Yankees. It doesn't matter if it's January, April or October. :rolleyes:

I don't typically participate in this forum because I'm not one for smack talk - but I did feel the need to respond as a baseball fan.

Play ball !

I have the urge to change your avatar to Mr. Met come 1 PM. ;)

DISNEYFIX
09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Ya gotta believe.:thumbsup:

Hammer
09-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Ya gotta believe.:thumbsup:

Actually, that works with both teams, Disneyfix. Tug McGraw played for both the Mets and Phillies. I know that was the 1973 rally cry for the Mets, but it was resurrected in Philly and used here when Tug got sick (and unfortunately passed away :( ).

Ian
09-30-2007, 11:17 AM
It wouldn't be the Phillies if it didn't come down to the last game ... they weren't gonna make it easy on us, that's for sure.

Whatever happens today, I'm proud of the Phils. They've had a multitude of adversities to face this season (many self-inflicted unfortunately :rolleyes: ), but the players played on, played hard, and gutted out the tough wins.

They took a guy who had been down on the Phillies for the last 10 years and converted him back into the huge fan he once was.

Jimenyfan
09-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I really hope the Phillies pull this off, as a long time Philadelphia fan,(all sports) for them to win this would be huge.

Jared
09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
To Ian, Christine and everybody else from Philadelphia, I apologize in advance. Many of my friends are Mets fans, so I'm resorting to putting a hex on an otherwise innocent team.

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Phillies: 2007 NL East Champions

It's official!

PirateLover
09-30-2007, 05:51 PM
My friend who was at the game sent this text to me... I think it sums everything up nicely...
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Ian
09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Wow!

:jaw:

Hammer
09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
I have returned from watching The Philadelphia Phillies become the 2007 NL East Champions!! :party::high5::yay::muscles::clappy::joy::joy::D

The ballpark was electric. I really hope that Rollins wins the MVP. When he got the triple today to give him at least 20 doubles (he had 38), 20 triples, 20 home runs (he has 30) and 20 steals (he had 41), becoming only the 4th player in MLB history to do so, the chants for MVP were deafening. No offense to Matt Holliday, who had a great season, but Jimmy is the straw that stirs the drink for this team.

I have tickets for Wednesday's game and if it is necessary, next Tuesday's game. I really hope they are 8pm games as we have travel issues for my sister.

Ian
09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Christine, do you know anything about post season ticket sales? For some reason I think they're already over, but I can't remember for sure.

wedway fan
09-30-2007, 09:03 PM
:ill:

devastating.

after yesterday's performance, i was convinced the mets would win today, and that since the phils likely would too, it would come down to the one-game playoff on monday. never thought tommy g would have dropped a bomb like he did. just unbelievable.

congrats to the phils- they definitely played like a championship team when it mattered.

and despite my allegiances to the mets, it'll have to be another year for wright- rollins deserves the MVP. with utley missing a month and howard having a mere human year, rollins is THE man on that team and deserves the MVP. give him credit for backing up his talk from back in march.

PirateLover
09-30-2007, 09:23 PM
I have returned from watching The Philadelphia Phillies become the 2007 NL East Champions!!
I have tickets for Wednesday's game and if it is necessary, next Tuesday's game. I really hope they are 8pm games as we have travel issues for my sister.
Christine I am so glad you got to be there!!! My bf's best friend is a season ticket holder and he offered him a ticket to Thursdays game. I'm jealous as I've never been to a Phillies playoff game but I'm happy for him at the same time.
*Also I know almost for certain that Weds will be an 8/830 start. Don't know about Thursday.

Christine, do you know anything about post season ticket sales? For some reason I think they're already over, but I can't remember for sure.
For the NLDS and NLCS it is over. You had to register online and there was a drawing. You can still go to phillies.com and register for the WS. There will be no day-of standing room only most likely b/c of the debacle it was these past two days. Make sure to check your email address constantly after they have the drawing. My brother was actually picked for NLCS but he was up in NY to see Springsteen on the Today show and by the time he got his email it was too late. They did not try to contact him by phone at all.

congrats to the phils- they definitely played like a championship team when it mattered.

and despite my allegiances to the mets, it'll have to be another year for wright- rollins deserves the MVP. with utley missing a month and howard having a mere human year, rollins is THE man on that team and deserves the MVP. give him credit for backing up his talk from back in march.
Thanks for your kindness. Here's to a few good years of division competition :cheers:

Ian
09-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, New York won the second half of our "double header" today.

The Eagles stink.

DAKustodial
10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Unfortunately, the Eagles did mess up what could have been one of the most fun days in Philadelphia sports history. There's nothing I would have liked more than killing New York twice in one day! On the positive side though, what a day for the Phils!! J-Roll is insane...he reminded me so much of Dykstra from '93 all year (steroids or not). He came up with so many big hits and plays in the field...the man deserves the MVP. I can not wait for playoff baseball in this town...it's been WAY too long!

By the way, Howard's 47 homers and 136 RBI prove to me that he didn't have an average year. He didn't hit well early but turned out to be sick!

Scar
10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Congratulations to the Phillies and their fans. :beer:

Your team wanted it more, and deserved it most.

(And speaking about “wanting it”, how about those Rockies?)

Well, at least the good news is I won’t have to say up late watching playoff games until midnight, I really hate staying up past 10:30. :sleepin:

Oh and Ian, I agree, the Eagles stink! ;)

Ian
10-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh and Ian, I agree, the Eagles stink! ;)I wouldn't get too excited just yet ... the Eagles are notoriously awful going into their bye. I think the Giants caught them at just the right time on the schedule.

The Giants aren't as good as they looked last night and the Eagles probably aren't as bad.

Although I stress the word probably in that sentence. ;)

Scar
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
... of course I'll get double revenge when the Giants beat the Eagles twice this year. :stir:

... I won't even grace that with a response. Try finding me anyone who predicts the Giants any better than third place in the NFC East. I dare ya.

They'll be lucky to win two games at all let alone two games against the Eagles!:D