PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Boat Ride Junkies II

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
For those who have ridden the new 3 cabelleros ride how does it compare with the older version?

#1donaldfan
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM
We liked it very well.....it was fun.....we've rode that ride several, several time and finally year before last we ate at the Mexican Rest. .... what a mistake, we should have left it to our imaginations.......actually it was too bad, but could've been much better....

DNS
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I voted for the new version, but honestly, I like them about the same. We ride it every trip and always have.

SBETigg
08-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Both versions are good. I like the new version only because the old version needed work. The new one is fun and does incorporate some elements from the old version, so it was new and fresh but still had a few familiar touches.

Crow
08-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Both versions are good. I like the new version only because the old version needed work. The new one is fun and does incorporate some elements from the old version, so it was new and fresh but still had a few familiar touches.

agreed!

DDuck66
08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Unfortunatly, since DD is my all time fave< I voted for the original. I thought (IMHO) that the original was more informative about Mexico. It did a good job of explaining all of the sites on the tour, especially for those not familar with Mexico.

January-2007
08-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I like the new one, it's nice and fresh and I like the characters. Can't wait to ride it again. :mickey:

DisneyNut2005
09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
It did a good job of explaining all of the sites on the tour, especially for those not familar with Mexico.

I don't agree 100&#37;. They could've explained more (the locations, the dances that the Mayans were doing, etc.). And most of the films didn't really show anything that was uniquely Mexican (pool bars and overzealous merchants, for example, aren't things that Mexicans would really be proud of).

My vote goes to the Gran Fiesta Tour as well.

EmmMOM2
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I've only been on the older version, but i always thought it needed a little something more...updating maybe.
So i'm excited to see what they've done with it.

SgtTigger
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I do like both but if I have to pick I say the new one......

come on you cant go wrong with the duck...... :donald:

:cop: :tigger:

mainemajor
09-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Bingo! I think children will enjoy the new one better, they will be looking for when the Three will appear next.

mrsgaribaldi
09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
We used to go on the old one and be the only ones on the boat. In May we actually had to wait in a line for the ride:mickey: I like the new version:thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
09-08-2007, 07:56 PM
I voted for El Rio del Tiempo because I loved the classic Epcot feel to it... no characters, just a great travel ride.

That being said, I do like the update. I think it's well done and retains much of the original feel of the ride. It's not too overdone. The only thing I miss is the song!!

TikiG

pixiesmimi
09-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I didn't really care for the new one but didn't really like the old one either. I think both are sort of boring. The new one, the cartoon didn't make a whole lot of sense and was hard to watch because the boats went by so fast, you didn't get to see what was happening on each screen. So I guess, that said, I liked the old one better.

CaptSmee
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
It's a nice diversion. The only part I was disappointed with was the final scene with the Caballeros on stage. Kind of a lame ending compared to before.

tkerbow
09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
The ending on the Rio ride was the best as it had the peddlers trying to sell cheap goods, just like they do in Mexico! I'll ride the new one this Saturday with a margarita in one hand, and a chimichanga in the other!:sick:

wedway76
09-10-2007, 11:29 AM
We haven't seen the new one yet! We havent been there since it opened!:mad::fit:

wjrhw
09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I prefer the old ride. I always liked the Aztec portion of the old ride and after seeing Apocalyto I have a renewed interest in the Aztecs. The strange music was really cool.

pogo
09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I liked the old ride better because we could take our Fiesta Margarita's on it. The CM wouldn't allow it last April. :(

Mickeylover71
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm taking it that The River of time has been changed? It's been almost thirteen years since i've been to Disney :)

:mickey::mickey:

Eeyore3138
09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I miss the song! :(

jsw123
09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
I just had to reply! We were there in July and my DD3's favorite character encounter was with Pancito outside the Mexico pavillion. (She met 30+ characters that week!). She could not stop talking about him!

We went to ride the Mexico river boat and a cast member approached her. He asked if we would be special guests on one of the boats! We got to ride, only our family, on a boat. She LOVED it! That Pancito was featured prominently was great!

I had been on the previous ride that featured Mexico, and that was great, too.

But, My DD3---winning a Dream---that was the greatest! She still talks about Pancito as her favorite character!:mickey:

jclightchasr
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
These are great responses anyone else?

lightyearfan
11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
me and dw loved the old version of this ride, but it was in need of a makeover, it's more enjoyable now.

Victor

Von-Drake
11-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I know my opinion is skewed being a big Donald Duck fan, but I enjoyed the old ride too. They needed to do something with it, but it is still one that I must go on every time I go. It was actually kind of good to see the use a theme from such a older film release.

Figgyluv03
11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't recall hearing about the refurb. When did this take place? Did the ride change alot or did they just add to it. Fill me in peoples! DBf likes Donald, so I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it.

LauraSAnne
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I chose El Rio del Tiempo.

--LOVED the music
--was one of the only "romantic" rides
--appreciated the historical value of the beginning
--don't like the addition of characters, or at least them taking over the WHOLE ride

I do agree that it needed to be updated, but there are ways to update the good points of a ride (They did it with Haunted Mansion). It would have been neat to keep the main concepts but make them not look so outdated. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it's the beginning with the Aztec's that I really feel is a very sad loss, in addition to the music/song. I wish they would have left that idea at the beginning (but updated) and then had the characters come in after that or at least integrate them into it. :(

RedheadWriter
11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
(not so) humble opinion time:blush:El Rio Del Tiempo had a respectful air about it regarding the culture of Mexico. This Gran Fiesta is too cartoony and to me. makes no sense. I am a nostalgic fan... goodness, I am still mourning the loss of Horizons... so going on this ride last week was a HUGE disappointment. There would have been better ways to update this attraction.
I can say that I will not be going on again.
Also, did I miss something? Isn't Epcot supposed to educate as well as entertain? Did I miss the education experience while in my food festival induced stupor?

ILoveLegos
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I miss the song! :(

Me too, too bad they can't add the song after the stage ending just before the exit.

rnin02
11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
(not so) humble opinion time:blush:El Rio Del Tiempo had a respectful air about it regarding the culture of Mexico. This Gran Fiesta is too cartoony and to me. makes no sense. I am a nostalgic fan... goodness, I am still mourning the loss of Horizons... so going on this ride last week was a HUGE disappointment. There would have been better ways to update this attraction.
I can say that I will not be going on again.
Also, did I miss something? Isn't Epcot supposed to educate as well as entertain? Did I miss the education experience while in my food festival induced stupor?

I have to agree with you...I hate this update. It is so cartoony, I just hate it. Change it back!!

dumbo ears
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
ive never ridden rio del tiempo but ive ridden the 3 cabbeleros ride and it is really cool. So i voted for that one.

Polynesian Dweller
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Not really a fan of either. I voted for the new version because at least its an upgrade which the original needed. I just wish they had done more. There is so little explanation of what you are looking at. It has the potential for so much more to sell you on visiting the country so the upgrade was a disappointment on that level.

GrmGrninGost
11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
I always enjoyed the El Rio Del Tiempo, but I must admit to liking the new ride better! It is very colorful and exciting! :mickey:

dog-ears
11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm in the "like the old version better" camp - I like Donald but found him a little annoying in this version. Also like others have said, the ending is not as good and I miss the song. Kind of miss the merry-go-round in the middle too!

But it did need an update ....

crazeedizneefinatic
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I voted for the old version too. I enjoyed the mist when you entered and the ending with the merchants. The new one is good too but not the same. The ending could have been better. We always enjoyed looking at the merchant wares and now fake balloons just sit. Two very small things we miss. Don't get me wrong we enjoyed the new version and will continue to ride it. Hmmmm let me see just 317 more days!!

jsdt
11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
I voted for the new one as it's more enjoyable for kids, however, I really miss the market scene where the sales-person followed you from the one video screen to the next.

kdsjjb
11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I wish I could vote five times,because none of us liked the new look.

We discovered Rio del Tiempo purely by accident the second time we were there, and it instantly became one of our favorite things to do while in Epcot. DW, the kids, and I all loved it.

We agreed that it could have used some sprucing up, but none of us liked what they did to it.

Sad to say, but it has gone from a "must do' to a "nah, nevermind" for us.

Meghan
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I voted for the new version. I love both, and even back when it was River of Time, I rode it just about everytime I went to Epcot.

I perfer the current version just a smidge, because I hated the pushy mexican sales people (stereotype much?) and I really love the song at the end of the ride now. I'm a strange girl, that's always been one of my favorite Disney songs.

I think its good that the changes have brought people back to the ride. It's hard to seeing really great attractions just sitting there. The ride seems to have at least a bit of a wait now, when before the wait was almost always non existent.

lioness8978
12-09-2007, 05:20 PM
My husband and I DID NOT like the new version. I agree with others about how much more enjoyable the other version was. I also loved riding past the pyramid and see the aztecs. It did need more of that and less puppets but now it REALLY doesnt make any sense. I also miss the ending where the voice says something like "Peace be with you" in spanish and english.

ldn324
12-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't really care for the new one either. DH and I both found it rather confusing - almost like there was supposed to be a story line, but we couldn't exactly figure out what it was supposed to be. Mainly because it didn't hold our attention.

We'll probably ride again next year just to give it the benefit of the doubt but I can't see myself liking it as much as the old one. Still a good place to get off your feet and enjoy the air conditioning! :mickey:

Darin M
12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I prefer El Rio, but that's just because I've been enjoying this attraction since I was a little kid. The three cabalerros is pretty neat, and very well done, but El Rio rocked my socks off.

dolphinmickey9170
12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
The old version was nice, but I really like the Donald influence!! :mickey:

RocknRoller94
12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm taking it that The River of time has been changed? It's been almost thirteen years since i've been to Disney :)

:mickey::mickey:Yes, the El Rio Del Tiempo was recently refurbished to center around the Three Cabalerros. The Ride(Now called "Gran Fiesta, Starring the Three Cabalerros"),now has a newer feel and is my favorite of the two rides(old and new).:donald: