PDA

View Full Version : security for kids

wire0monkey
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
What do people do for security/id issues for kids?

This year, I went to PetSmart and bought some engraved dog tags. (Wow, that sounds bad. They're just round metal tags with a Spider-man symbol on the other side.) I had the kids' names and our cell phone numbers engraved on them. I plan on pinning them to the hem of their shirts with safety pins. That way if the kids get lost, our cell phone numbers will be easy to find for security.

What do other people do?

ThanxForNoticin
08-30-2007, 12:21 PM
When our kids were younger (I'm not sure how old your kids are), the first thing we would do when entering the park was declare a meeting point if we got separated. No one went anywhere until we knew what the meeting spot was. We also made sure the kids knew they could always go to a security guard, cast member, or even a character to let them know they were lost and needed help. Your plan for identification tags with names and phone numbers sounds like a great idea - something you hope you never need!

SLS-550
08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
What do people do for security/id issues for kids?

This year, I went to PetSmart and bought some engraved dog tags.

We go and get the leash for a child (not really, the wife & I chuckle when we see kids on a leash:secret:, not that there is anything wrong with it whatever works)…..I really like that idea you came up with. We were thinking of doing something similar, taking the WDW plastic luggage tags that we have and put his name, our name, cell#’s & the hotel info on it, then either tie it to his belt loop, or make him a cool necklace with it, kind of like a press pass, maybe just stick it in his pocket. I agree you hope you never have to use it, but better to be safe than sorry. (WOW, our idea sounds bad also now my 4yr. old son is baggage)
We will also be at WDW Sept. 2nd-8th :thumbsup: Have a great trip

vamaggie
08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
When DS & DD was younger (18 mos-3) we had one of those sneaker ID things (got it at a police fair). It had a place for name & phone number and tied onto the shoe laces (but so no one could see the info) Now that kids are older (10 &4) we got them some of those rubber bracelets that has their name and our cell phone number on it. The info cannot really be seen unless you are looking right at it. There is a website, which you can probably Google and find or PM me if you want. THe kids know to show it to a CM if they get lost.

mickey&missy
08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
This year, I went to PetSmart and bought some engraved dog tags. (Wow, that sounds bad. They're just round metal tags with a Spider-man symbol on the other side.) I had the kids' names and our cell phone numbers engraved on them. I plan on pinning them to the hem of their shirts with safety pins. That way if the kids get lost, our cell phone numbers will be easy to find for security.

That is a fantastic idea!!!! I would have never thought of it but I think I'm going to do it! In the past we put something in their shoes with name and cell. I've been trying to think of something for next trip. Their a little older now and I'm sure I could teach them my cell number but in a situation where their lost and scared I'm sure they wouldn't remember it.

Again, that's a fantastic idea!!

Scar
08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
This year, I went to PetSmart and bought some engraved dog tags. (Wow, that sounds bad. ...)I don't think that sounds bad. That's what they call them in the military.

Victor Kelly
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Do not put the name on the tag. That would let someone know who snatches them what their name is.

Cell phone and YOUR (parent) name is fine. Go to any DMV and they will make you an ID card for your child. That way it is official ID, you have and only you (the parent) could claim the child.

Trust me on this, we do it at the MVA in Maryland. I work there, and just went through Driver Licensing training. Just have a birth certificate, and SSN card and you are good to go.

kakn7294
08-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Now that my kids are a bit older at ages 7 and 12, they carry their own bag. They have a business card that they carry inside the bag that has their name, our names, my cell phone, and which resort we are staying at. They both know that if we are lost (parents get lost, not the kids), present that card to a cast member - probably the nearest cashier in a store is best if possible.

katzctkpt
08-31-2007, 01:01 AM
I really like the dog tag idea but, I do agree with Victor don't put the childs name put the parents 1st name and the cell phone #. We also have told our kids if we are separated go a CM and tell them MOM & DAD said meet at the lost & found.

I too, don't like to see children leashed. I feel that it could cause harm to the child if the child took off with the leash stretched and tripped someone in turn tripped someone else and possibly landed on the child.

#1donaldfan
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Not a bad idea.....tags are good, but good 'ol fashion "keep your eyes on 'em" can't be beat.....but in the event a separation occurs we have instructed ours to find a CM, ASAP and tell them we have a central place to meet and that way they are not alone going to "that" place.....

Hog Wild
08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
When mine were younger, I would attach a small tag to their shoes with this on it :Mom Karen Phone: ###-###-####. The number was our cell. As soon as we hit the parks we talked about what to do if someone you didn't know asked you to go with them, and that if you didn't see mom and dad that you DID NOT move from your spot. We would stop a castmember to show the kids the cast member badge and usually one of the security people.

I think that there are 2 things that are UBER importaint to tell kids. 1 if you loose mommy and daddy- DON"T MOVE. Same is true if someone wants you to go with them- DON"T MOVE. If that person starts pulling on you, you start screaming you are NOT my mommy or daddy. The 2nd is that if you are going to put a number on the child NEVER put the childs name on there and NEVER put your last name!! I have a friend who uses a made up name.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-31-2007, 07:31 PM
I've seen parents who've literally pinned stuff to their children's backs with their info on it. When I first saw it, I thought the parents had put a "Kick Me" sign on their own child.

The thing I have about telling your children not to go with someone they don't know....is that they don't really know the CM's, which was an issue I had to deal with at my old location. The child refused to go with me to look for his parents (and trust me, when you work for Disney...it's obvious just by looking at what we wear....cause it's usually the brightest, most gaudy thing on the face of the planet), he sat there crying with a death grip on the pole like I was actually planning on taking him, and I couldn't leave him alone to find my leaders. I was about a foot and a half away from him so it wasn't like I was hovering over him or anything. But thankfully, his parents found us first and the mother was relieved.

So just make sure they are familiar with who are and aren't CM's and how to recognize one.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-31-2007, 11:28 PM
When DS & DD was younger (18 mos-3) we had one of those sneaker ID things (got it at a police fair). It had a place for name & phone number and tied onto the shoe laces (but so no one could see the info) Now that kids are older (10 &4) we got them some of those rubber bracelets that has their name and our cell phone number on it. The info cannot really be seen unless you are looking right at it. There is a website, which you can probably Google and find or PM me if you want. THe kids know to show it to a CM if they get lost.

Thank you for this info... I saw it on another thread and we ordered these bracelets for the 5 children traveling with us. We also (for just our everyday use) have current pictures and child info downloaded to a CD for each of our children that fits in our wallets. This is done by a specific company. This is something you can give to the authorities if your child were to come up missing for a period of time.

Minniemouse27
09-01-2007, 09:36 AM
I got the flexible bracelets for our kids (dd6 and ds2). Dd will be fine w/ it and for ds, I'll put it on his ankle.

I opted for these because both kids have sandals and crocs and the shoe ID won't attach to them.

We are also planning taking a picture of the kids each morning, that way we have a good clear shot of each w/ the clothes they are wearing that day.

mrsHerbie53
09-01-2007, 12:30 PM
We have our cell phone numbers tatooed on our DS's forearm so all he has to do is ask a CM to use their phone. :secret:

:D KIDDING!!! :D

We have used a card with my name and cell in a plastic cover on a lanyard when DS was 4.

Since I found out we can custom order those rubber wrist bands, I think I will do that this time. I'll put my cell phone number on it. He is 8 now, so he knows more now what to do. He also will think the band is "cooler" and it can get wet!!!!

#1donaldfan
09-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Just today I saw in Wal Mart a machine that engraved security tags for kid, or anyone I suppose. They looked very similar to the dog tags we got in the military....they came with chains that they could wear around their neck, or you could do as mentione and pin them on the inside of their shirt or pack......fyi.....

Flower
09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I bought 2 dog tags, one for each of Brandons shoes. I used them at Disney, but I also used them at home too. My son had a HORRIBLE habit from age 2-3 where he did NOT want to wear shoes and he would just take them off and throw them anywhere - you can imagine my joy when I had to trace back thru Costco trying to find his shoes!

His shoes had little loops at the heel and I would tie the tag thru it so that the engraving faced in and was not visible unless you flipped it around. He has fortunately grown out of that habit, but I will still use them when we go to Disney in 23 days!:mickey:

DisneyAndRedSox
09-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I am so glad someone posted this. My DD is almost 22 months and we are going through a stage where she wants to explore on her own and is too young to understand why she is not allowed! Trips to the malls are a nightmare and I have been trying to think of what to do for our trip in Jan. I HATE the harness/leashes but when you have the thought of your child running off and getting separated your hate for it goes away really fast! I have been looking into other options, thanks for posting the idea of the 'dog tags', I wanted to ask a few other questions....

1- Has anyone tried a shoetag where you carry a small remote, if the child gets separated you press the button and the shoetag beeps. Do you like it and where did you get it? One Step Ahead has one but it got a lousy review that it is not loud enough.

2- vamaggie, where did you get the rubber bracelets from and are they small enough for a toddlers wrist or ankle?

Thanks everyone for your help. I have been freaking out over this lately!

kakn7294
09-05-2007, 07:36 AM
My sister's kids have the Who's Shoes ID tags that fasten over their shoe laces or velcro on sneakers. The info is inside the tag so strangers can't see it. I understand the hatred of the leashes but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I've never tried the alarms but I can't imagine that in someplace as large and noisy as Disney can be that they would be all that effective. If you choose one of these ID methods, it's also a good idea to list whether your child has any medical conditions or allergies. It alerts the helpful CM who finds him or her as sometimes they like to give little treats to calm an otherwise distraught child. That added little tidbit could possibly save a life.

crazykids
09-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I just bought these velcro bracelets called "id inside." There is a little pocket where a waterproof card can fit inside the bracelet & you can write whatever info you want on it. These bracelets come in either pink or blue & you can even wear them in he pools or the waterparks. My kids are 1, 3, & 4 so I need all the help I can get!

TikiGoddess
09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
For my kids (ages 4 and 2) I printed out my own id tag. On one side there was a picture of their favorite character and the word "ID". On the other side I printed their name, and our cell phone number. I placed the papers back to back, 'laminated' them in packing tape, punched a hole at the top, and attached it to the child with a safety pin. Virtually free, and the kiddos loved wearing their favorite characters every day.

We also told them if they got lost to look for another mommy or a CM.

TikiG

DisneyAndRedSox
09-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I just bought these velcro bracelets called "id inside." There is a little pocket where a waterproof card can fit inside the bracelet & you can write whatever info you want on it. These bracelets come in either pink or blue & you can even wear them in he pools or the waterparks. My kids are 1, 3, & 4 so I need all the help I can get!

I just spent the last 10 minutes researching options and stumbled upon this also... I think I am going to order straight from the company, $6.95 each plus .50 shipping. Extra ID cards are pretty cheap.

Also researched the shoe alarm/locator if anyone is interested. The 'Mommy I'm Here' brand seems to be getting the best reviews. Just not sure how to attach since DD never wears lace-up shoes when it's warm out, she would be wearing sandals or crocs. I just emailed the company to ask them.