PDA

View Full Version : A Stroller for WDW - Help!

mjaclyn
08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
DH and I are taking our DD on her first trip to WDW in two weeks (YAY!). :mickey: She'll be 11 months old and we'll definitely need a stroller. I have a wonderful Peg Perego umbrella stroller that I would love to bring, but I don't want to risk damaging it on the plane or it being stolen while we're in Florida. We're looking for a stroller that folds up compactly, is light and easy to steer, has a small storage basket, reclines and has a sun shade. We're thinking about getting one of the Chicco strollers but the handles are so short that DH and I both bump our feet into the back of the wheels when we tried pushing it in the store. Does anyone have any suggestions? We'd like to spend under $100.

Side Note: We're not really interested in renting a stroller because the hard plastic looks so uncomfortable for little ones - plus there is no storage space. We still need to take a lot with us since our DD is under a year old.

KAT1811
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
In my experience your stroller is the best choice. :thumbsup: Your DD will most likely be most comfortable in a stroller that is familiar to her, especially in a strange place at such a young age. You can bring it right to the gate and they will gently store it underneath the plane while you are flying and then it will be waiting for you when you deplane. :plane: Or you could always purchase a stroller bag to pack it in so it won''t get dirty or damaged. As far as it being stolen :spy: in WDW I have brought both my Peg Perego and will be bringing my Combi Double stroller this year (a $300 stroller). We have never had a problem. We will be traveling with our 3 DDs 10, 2, and 10 months. (I don't hink that WDW has a big problem with stealing. We've been dozens of times with our strollers and have never had a problem)

I would highly recommend bringing your own stroller but if that isn't an option for you I would recommend going to your local baby store and look for something that suits you, will be comfortable for your DD, and has the height and options you are looking for.

One other side note, I would recommend getting a stroller that fully reclines so your DD can take a quick nap :sleepin: if she wants to and be comfortable. Even my DD#2, who very rarely falls asleep even in the car, will dose off when she needs to recharge. Especially at night when you and DH might want to stay for the fireworks :fworks: she can curl up and go to sleep. (Beware deep recline and full recline are two different animals. She won't be able to lie flat in a deep recline stroller)

Whatever you decide have a great trip!!!

cal5755
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
When I first went with my kids my youngest was 6 1/2 months and we took a double stroller we bought at walmart specifically for the trip. It was lightweight and easy to fold. We used the second seat for a small cooler that we filled with ice, water and wet face cloths to wipe down with when it was real hot. We had no problems as far as damage either... we strolled her right up to the gate and had the stroller waiting for us when we got off the plane. All the extra storage in the bottom was great too for purchases etc. I believe the one we purchased was around 89 dollars and I know they have single seat strollers there too with good storage baskets underneath. I can not relate to the bumping of feet though.. I am under 5 feet myself lol... but dh had no problems.

mouseaddict
08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I just went through this same problem 2 weeks ago. I wound up using an umbrella stroller from Wal Mart but I was not happy. What you might want to do is hit some yard sales or consignment shops. Get something that suits your purpose but that you don't mind having bumped or sratched up. Just don't get anything too bulky because those are soooooo annoying on the buses and trains etc.
What dates will you be there my fellow moms to be and new moms thread poster?

Lucyrella
08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
We are here in Disney now and we brought our Peg side by side double stroller. No damage and nobody has bothered it. I am so glad we have it!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
We have brought my DD's Perego P3 the past two years and are bringing it again this year. We have never had a problem with it getting damaged on the plane. We wheel it to the plane and gate check it.
We have also never had a problem with it being taken, etc, in the parks.
She is so comfy in it and it handles great in the parks. I am not sure which Perego you have but, the P3 is great for the buses. I am sure the other models that fold in a similar way are great too.
We actually bought a Maclaren Techno XLR for this trip and I brought it back a few weeks ago. I decided that spending the large amount of money we did on it did not make any sense for us. My DD never sits in a stroller at home so the Perego will be fine for our last stroller trip. (Hopefully :)) The Maclarens are great for WDW, the ones that recline are a little more then you want to spend but, you can find good sales if you really look online. Especially if you get a 2006 model.

Long story short..lol...I would lean towards bringing your own if you can. I think it would be fine.

Have a great trip!!

mjaclyn
08-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I have the Peg Perego P3 and I love it. I'm just a little worried about leaving my $300+ stroller outside of rides with our things on it. Also, my SIL brought her expensive Bertini stroller from CA to NY by plane and it was very damaged by the end of the flight. The wheel was so bent up that it couldn't be used at all. I'd just hate to bring our own stroller from home to get there and find it damaged. Do the airlines have any kind of guarantee for damaged items? We'll be flying Jetblue.

I'll talk to DH about it again and see what he thinks. I really would like to have our own stroller there, especially since the cheaper umbrella strollers I've tried aren't the greatest.

teambricker04
08-30-2007, 07:11 AM
I recommend taking what you have. We have gone several times and once used a cheaper, around 100 bucks, stroller only to have the wheels ground down from all our walking and putting our back pack on it. If you are worried about it being stolen... bring a bike lock and lock the wheels when you leave it. Also don't leave anything in the basket when you leave it.

I have never had any issues with people even moving my stroller at disney.

kakn7294
08-30-2007, 07:35 AM
If you are worried about it being stolen... bring a bike lock and lock the wheels when you leave it.
Actually, the CM's need to move strollers around frequently to improve the traffic flow and sometimes to put them under cover in the event of rain. They don't want bike locks on the wheels as this makes their jobs that much harder. My DD's are beyond stroller age, but I saw a nice Jeep-branded model in Toys 'R Us a few months back that looked nice. The seat reclined and it had a storage basket and sunshade. The back of the seat rolled up to form a pillow and underneath was mesh to allow for airflow. It was only around $40.

mickey&missy
08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Did your sister gate check the stroller or check it with baggage?

If she checked it with baggage I'm not really suprised it was damaged. The baggage handlers are anything but gentle. I've heard several stories of strollers being damaged when they where checked as baggage. Even one I read here where they had to go buy a new one at Walmart in Orlando.

I've never heard a story of a stroller being damaged when gate checked. But, I'm sure it happens from time to time.

If your your going to go with an umbrella stroller definitely get one that reclines! For an 11 month old thats soooo important!

I definitely think bringing yours from home is probably the best option. Your DD will be way more comfortable and more happy.

Good luck!

KAT1811
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Did your sister gate check the stroller or check it with baggage?

If she checked it with baggage I'm not really suprised it was damaged. The baggage handlers are anything but gentle. I've heard several stories of strollers being damaged when they where checked as baggage. Even one I read here where they had to go buy a new one at Walmart in Orlando.

I've never heard a story of a stroller being damaged when gate checked. But, I'm sure it happens from time to time.

My question exactly. If she checked it with baggage I'm not surprised that it got damaged but if she gate checked it I am very surprised. I've never heard of someone's stroller being damaged that way.

Like I stated before I have a $300 stroller as well and wouldn't hesitate bringing it on any given trip. I've never had one stolen yet.

Plus the comfort of my DDs is much more important than the $300. I'd rather have them in their stroller and comfortable for our trip than stick them in something they're not as comfortable in. I'd think that you'd have a bigger chance having your stroller stolen at home at the mall outside a restaurant than in WDW.

mjaclyn
08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes, I actually think she did check the stroller with baggage. It's a huge stroller with rubber wheels that you actually have to put air into - very cushy. She has it for her son and barely used it so she brought it out to NY from CA when I had my DD. I haven't been able to use the stroller at all because the wheel is all bent up. I like my Peg Perego better anyway honestly. It's so much lighter and I really like the way it folds like an umbrella stroller. I think I'm going to end up taking that to WDW instead of buying a cheap one. I used the money we would have spent on a new stroller to get a padded carry bag and an extra storage compartment for the Peg Perego last night. Thanks for all the advice!

KAT1811
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I think both you and your DD will be much more comfortable. Have a great trip!!!

SoaringEpcot
08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
We used a combination of stroller one day then a child carrier the next. We liked using the child carrier more than the stroller. I had the same problem with kicking the back wheels when I was pushing the stroller, so DW found some handle extenders at Babies R US. We got a ton of questions by people who had never seen the extenders. Not only do you no longer kick the tires while walking you also can stand up straight. I think most strollers are designed for people around 5 feet tall or less.

Mickie the Pooh
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
We are Grandparents and I wanted a stroller for the car. I had my husband select it as he will be pushing it when we have our grandaughter with us, I am on a scooter. He selected the Graco IPO umbrella style. it was $80 heavy duty Long handles he found comfortable, reclines has basket, Sun shade great reviews, easy strap in system easy folding. Will hold up to 50 lbs. so even a large child could use it.

Fantasia
08-30-2007, 12:21 PM
had the same concerns with bringing our larger stoller and since we will be using the WDW bus service we needed something compact. Of course nothing compares to the large comfy stoller. So after alot of reseach I found a Graco Ipo Stroller at babies R US. It was $80.
Cons
1) The shade could be bigger (they do make shade extensions)
2) No cup holder for Mom & Dad (I figured we mostly drink water so putting the bottle in the basket wouldn't kill us)
3) No tray for Baby

Pros
1) The handles are longer
2) It reclines
3) Large basket for a Umbrella-ish stoller
4) Seems to steer nice with our daughter who is 27lbs
5) Seat larger and more comfy than a umbrella stoller. Almost like our big Jeep stoller.
6) Folds like the umbrella's
7) Very sturdy
8) Larger wheels

How it will do on the Disney streets? We will find out in 20 days. It seems to work awesome in stores and such. We had to make sure we could push this thing around Disney.

When you test drive a stoller at the stores put your child in and make sure you like it with the weight in it. The Combi with our Daughter was terrible trying to steer!

Good Luck!

Fantasia
08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Mickie the Pooh
I was concerned about the sunshade being to short. Glad to hear it has good reviews. We have used ours mostly in the stores. On Babies R Us it has 4.5 stars!

I just love this stoller. It does fold easily and quickly. It is a compact stoller with the comforts of a large stoller.

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I am a father of 3 and we have purchased a compact stroller with decent storage, shade, weight and price with cupholders and a baby tray at Sears. Not the usual place to buy a stroller but you might want to check it out.

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Also Burlington Coat Factory has an extensive selection. Exceeding Babies R Us at some locations.

Lauraubie
08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
had the same concerns with bringing our larger stoller and since we will be using the WDW bus service we needed something compact. Of course nothing compares to the large comfy stoller. So after alot of reseach I found a Graco Ipo Stroller at babies R US. It was $80.
Cons
1) The shade could be bigger (they do make shade extensions)
2) No cup holder for Mom & Dad (I figured we mostly drink water so putting the bottle in the basket wouldn't kill us)
3) No tray for Baby

Pros
1) The handles are longer
2) It reclines
3) Large basket for a Umbrella-ish stoller
4) Seems to steer nice with our daughter who is 27lbs
5) Seat larger and more comfy than a umbrella stoller. Almost like our big Jeep stoller.
6) Folds like the umbrella's
7) Very sturdy
8) Larger wheels

How it will do on the Disney streets? We will find out in 20 days. It seems to work awesome in stores and such. We had to make sure we could push this thing around Disney.

When you test drive a stoller at the stores put your child in and make sure you like it with the weight in it. The Combi with our Daughter was terrible trying to steer!

Good Luck!

We have the Graco one too and love it. Its nice and compact folded (it even has a handle to carry it with when its folded). The handles are nice and high so its easy to push. The only downside was the lack of cupholder, but we bought one are BRU for like $10. Well worth it.

Another thing to watch when you are looking is what weight you can use the stroller up to... we looked at a lot of strollers, the graco goes up to 50lbs (I think) some of the other more expensive ones only go to 40, so not only will you pay more but you won't be able to use it as long.