PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Dining Plans....Has anyone signed up??

faberj
08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I am just wondering if anyone is doing either the basic dining plan or the deluxe dining plan for 2008? I am undecided at this point and wondering what other people are thinking.

beksy
08-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. I think I am just going to go with the basic one. I can't see spending that much extra when it will probably be cheaper to get one appetizer and split it and doing more snacks oop. Plus we're not big breakfast eaters and we don't want to have that many TS meals since it will take more time from the parks. But I do keep going back and forth so any comments would be appreciated! Good luck with your decision! :mickey:

Samtastic
08-29-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm going to get the basic when I book my jan 2008 trip. I went last january and had the regular plan and it was SO MUCH food! I'm dissapointed with the changes, namely the no gratuity and loss of apetitizer, but with the app and dessert we never ate all of everything and we (me and my bf) can pack that food in. I can't imagine getting the delux--it's so much food!!! And I can't think of that many restaurants to eat in to fill all 3 ts meals a day. You'd gain like 30 lbs!! I feel guilty eating one TS and CS and I can't imagine eating 3 TS. I want to play it up when I'm there and I walk so much I even lost weight last time, but I'd definately get heavier! And my wallet would get lighter! $70+ a day for food just seems ridiculous. Maybe if it was my honeymoon, but otherwise, I'm sticking to the basic.

krose78
08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
If we do end up going next year we would probably do the deluxe and use a lot of the credits for the 2 credit restaurants

faberj
08-29-2007, 04:38 PM
If we do end up going next year we would probably do the deluxe and use a lot of the credits for the 2 credit restaurants

I was thinking the same thing. DH and I were watching a special on the food network about some of the Sig. dining locations and thought it would be nice to try some of those so we wouldn't be eating 3 meals a day.

kaylamag
08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I just booked today! We are doing the basic plan.

DizneyRox
08-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately this is why Disney is able to keep getting more for less. We hear of the news, argue it over for a month or so, then just accept it and carry on as if nothing happened. It's all part of the calculations Disney makes when they decide on price hikes, etc.

I didn't think the DDP was a value before, it is most certainly not any sort of value for me now, I will gladly pay OOP for my meals and enjoy my own "savings".

dteed
08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
We are figuring it out soon. The basic will not work, before it was a bargain but now you have to really work it to make it worth it. The deluxe plan seems the way to go using quite a few double credits. DVC also told me about a wine plan but we haven't decided on that yet either.

Samtastic
08-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I actually think you'd get a better value on the basic. I ran the numbers, if you go to nice restaurants , you'll def. get your money's worth. For the $37, you get a $4 snack, and at least a $10 lunch [more like $13-14 on average] and you have $23. Subtract at least $2 for a drink and $5 for dessert (although it's more like 6-8) that's $16 for an entree. Which is a value for what you're getting. (And the ressies I am going to cost more than that)

I considered using 2TS for a signature, but the numbers didn't pan out. I felt like I'd be losing money.

Of course, it wasn't as nice as last year with gratuity and appetizers, but I figure those are only an addition $12 a day-and I rarely ate all my food so I can skip the appetizers. so like $5 for a tip.

I'll keep close tabs on the numbers when I actually go to see how much (if any I saved).

PS Can you tell I love math, haha?

anewvision
08-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm going to get the basic when I book my jan 2008 trip. I went last january and had the regular plan and it was SO MUCH food! I'm dissapointed with the changes, namely the no gratuity and loss of apetitizer, but with the app and dessert we never ate all of everything and we (me and my bf) can pack that food in. I can't imagine getting the delux--it's so much food!!! And I can't think of that many restaurants to eat in to fill all 3 ts meals a day. You'd gain like 30 lbs!! I feel guilty eating one TS and CS and I can't imagine eating 3 TS. I want to play it up when I'm there and I walk so much I even lost weight last time, but I'd definately get heavier! And my wallet would get lighter! $70+ a day for food just seems ridiculous. Maybe if it was my honeymoon, but otherwise, I'm sticking to the basic.

I have a hard time beleaving 10 year olds eat
$37.99 a day. But there parents claim they
save money on the DP.

HOLITRIN
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
We plan to do the Deluxe plan and have a nice big breakfast (TS) and then a snack for lunch and then do the signature dining and dinner shows. Normally, the signature dining and dinner shows would not be in the budget. :D

Natazu
08-30-2007, 04:13 AM
We're waiting on the verdict on the DVC pricing. We'd be most likely Deluxe plan users (surprise anyone). I like my appetizers.

Spaceship Tigger
08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
I didn't think the DDP was a value before, it is most certainly not any sort of value for me now, I will gladly pay OOP for my meals and enjoy my own "savings".

For our family's situation I didn't think the paid-for DDP was a value anyway. So unless it's ever free again (and I'm betting that it won't be), we definitely won't be using the DDP with the new changes.

tys_mommy
08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
We've never done the dining plan before but are going to try the basic plan on our trip next Spring. I do like having a plan but I can't imagine trying to make it to more than one reservation a day, with having kids flexibility is the name of the game in our vacations.

bethsmith
08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
We have added the deluxe plan to our vacation in January. We did the numbers and it will cost us either about the same or just a tiny bit less than what we would pay out of pocket. We had advance reservations for several 2 credit restaurants and dining is always a very big part of our vacations.

We did take a lot of time and math to figure out if this would be worth it and to us, even though it's really not a "savings", it is worth it to have it payed for in advance.

I should also say there are 2 adults and 2 children (4 and 6).
I think if you have a family like mine which likes and looks forward to restaurants and also likes having some sort of schedule then the dining plan can be a good idea.
If your family likes to stay in the parks, doesn't mind eating mostly counter service meals or doesn't want to take the time to sit down, the the dining plan may not be a good deal.
I honestly didn't get it for the savings, I got it for the convenience.

Also, regarding gratuity, I'm sure we'll be able to add that as a room charge so having the cash on hand is really a non issue.

The all inclusive feel is what we like about it.

DizneyRox
08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
The all inclusive feel is what we like about it.
Just make sure the restaurants that you want to eat at still participate in the DDP in 2008. I've heard rumors that there may be some that drop out.

TheDuckRocks
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
For those of you who don't know me here is a little background info so you can see where my thoughts are on the plans I have made.
Drum roll for TheRustyScupper I'm going to sort of borrow his style.
1) My DH and I are in our 60s and due health issues for him we need to eat at fairly regular times. For that reason we love ADRs.
2) For the 2 trips we have made to WDW in the past we traveled alone and used the Disney Dining Experience card with our Annual Passes.
3) I was in accounting before I retired. Running numbers 6 ways is a hobby of mine now.
4) We eat out at least 80% of the time for dinner and about 30% of the time for lunch and breakfast.
5) "Where are we going to dinner?" has caused more arguments in our marriage than any other topic. Once again love those ADRs.
6) Our next trip to WDW we are bringing our DD, DSIL, DGS12, and DGD10.
7) Most of the dinners we want to take them to are buffet or family style and my DGD eats like a bird. (No not mean double her body weight daily.:D) And we will have to pay full adult pricing for her regardless.
8) The basic DDP even with the changes still is the best monetary bargin for us.
9) When the new Deluxe DP came into effect my DH suggested that this would be a good time to take a short trip down to WDW for just the 2 of us after the Pop Warner cheerleaders :thedolls: go home.
10) We will be using only signature restauants for dinner each evening using 2 credits and using the other one for lunch or breakfast and the snack credits for the other meal.

So to answer the original posters question...Yes, we have a trips planned for 2008 using the both of the new dining plans.

mjaclyn
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Can someone please point me in the right direction? This is the first I've heard about the changes for 2008 and I'd like some more information. I'm specifically looking for DVC owner info because we usually rent points and get the dining plan that way. Any info would be very helpful - what is the price difference??

Donald A
08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately this is why Disney is able to keep getting more for less. We hear of the news, argue it over for a month or so, then just accept it and carry on as if nothing happened. It's all part of the calculations Disney makes when they decide on price hikes, etc.

We are paying out-of-pocket in January. The price hike makes it so we don't save anything. I figure why be tied into getting something I don't want. Maybe I won't want dessert with my counter service and will want to get a sundae a couple hours later.