PDA

View Full Version : Leona Helmsley Leaves Dog $12 Million in Will (but left her Grandchildren NOTHING!)

KentB3
08-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Helmsley Leaves Dog $12 Million in Will

(AP) Leona Helmsley's dog will continue to live an opulent life, and then be buried alongside her in a mausoleum. But two of Helmsley's grandchildren got nothing from the late luxury hotelier and real estate billionaire's estate.

Helmsley left her beloved white Maltese, named Trouble, a $12 million trust fund, according to her will, which was made public Tuesday in surrogate court.

She also left millions for her brother, Alvin Rosenthal, who was named to care for Trouble in her absence, as well as two of four grandchildren from her late son Jay Panzirer - so long as they visit their father's grave site once each calendar year.

Otherwise, she wrote, neither will get a penny of the $5 million she left for each.

Helmsley left nothing to two of Jay Panzirer's other children - Craig and Meegan Panzirer - for "reasons that are known to them," she wrote.

But no one made out better than Trouble, who once appeared in ads for the Helmsley Hotels, and lived up to her name by biting a housekeeper.

"I direct that when my dog, Trouble, dies, her remains shall be buried next to my remains in the Helmsley mausoleum," Helmsley wrote in her will.

The mausoleum, she ordered, must be "washed or steam-cleaned at least once a year." She left behind $3 million for the upkeep of her final resting place in Westchester County, where she is buried with her husband, Harry Helmsley.

She also left her chauffeur, Nicholas Celea, $100,000.

She ordered that cash from sales of the Helmsley's residences and belongings, reported to be worth billions, be sold and that the money be given to the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.

Her longtime spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, had no comment.

Helmsley died earlier this month at her Connecticut home. She became known as a symbol of 1980s greed and earned the nickname "the Queen of Mean" after her 1988 indictment and subsequent conviction for tax evasion. One employee had quoted her as snarling, "Only the little people pay taxes."

PirateLover
08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Queen of mean indeed! If she wasn't going to give it to the grandkids, she could've at least given it to charity. Who the heck leaves millions of dollars to their DOG? I mean we all love our pets but puh-lease!

thrillme
08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Sigh...I'm just cranky because I'm not her dog...If I were...then you can bet "Pluto" and I would be living it up in Cinderella's Castle.

You never know the "whole" story. Chances are she probably gave tons to charity throughout the years. Maybe the kids didn't live up to certian expectations and she doesn't think they deserve a "hand out".

I wouldn't be surprised if after the dog passes a natural healthy life that this money doesn't go to someone. Somehow I doubt a dog could use up 12 million in it's lifetime.

offwego
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
If you read further it does say she's leaving the remainder (est. at BILLIONS) to charity. It's like someone with a 100 million leaving 120M to take care of their dog really. And as to the grandkids due to estate taxes they almost always have trust funds funded while the person is alive to be inherited at stages not at death..just easier to make equal that way.

2Epcot
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I would love to be the one to take care of the dog. I'd make sure he/she had the best of everything. I could buy an east coast home for the dog, of course the dog has his own room. A west coast home, the same. The dog would of course need to get around ... so a few nice cars to transport the dog in (don't want the dog to get bored in only one car). Not to mention travel ... I'm sure the dog wants to see as many places around the world as possible (flying first class of course). I think that is a job I could handle.

TheMartellFamily
08-29-2007, 06:46 PM
And she wondered why nobody liked her.

letsdoitagain
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
All I can say is that the money would be better spend on helping others than on Milkbones and Alpo. I love my dogs too but give me a break. I just don't know what goes through the ultra rich's minds.

On the plus side...she said "only the little people pay taxes"...well now she's on the same level as the "little people."

Its better to be rich in "life" than in material possessions.

mttafire
08-29-2007, 08:34 PM
IMHO, Her money...HER business. As much as folks disliked her..It's her right to do with her money as she wants.

PirateLover
08-29-2007, 08:36 PM
If you read further it does say she's leaving the remainder (est. at BILLIONS) to charity.
Yes, her own charitable trust.

It's like someone with a 100 million leaving 120M to take care of their dog really.
I don't care who you are, it doesn't take 12m to take care of a dog. I could see her maybe leaving 1 mill... the rest could be left to better causes, sorry. Maybe she could've donated it to an animal charity.
As far as the grandkids go I don't really care that they didn't get money. I'm sure they must've done something to her, or maybe they never visited her or something. it just seems like a crazy amount to leave for your dog.

I did find this:

Gifts that Ms. Helmsley made during her lifetime included a total of $70-million to New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and $5-million to the American Red Cross to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

and also

In her will, Ms. Helmsley also left approximately $35-million to family members, including $3-million for the upkeep of the mausoleum where she and her late husband, Harry B. Helmsley, are buried, and $12-million to a trust for her dog, Trouble.

mrsHerbie53
08-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Those 2 grandkids probably aren't missing her much these days... And why did she bribe the other 2 to give them money. (if they don't go to their dad's graveside 1 time a year, they lose the dough).
Wouldn't it be funny if they had principles and gave the other 2 grandkids out of their share.

I wonder if she is wishing for an ice cold water....

Ah, c'mon, that wasn't any worse than "the little people pay taxes"....:secret: :D

ChipnDaleGal
08-30-2007, 05:31 AM
IMHO, Her money...HER business. As much as folks disliked her..It's her right to do with her money as she wants.

Exactly! It was her money to do with as she pleased. And maybe those grandkids gave her valid reasons to not include them. Just because you are related doesn't mean that you have to leave them something if there were issues in your relationship. Only she and her grandkids know the scoop.

ChipDale
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Totally agree.

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
While it does seem strange to see someone leave that much money to a dog, it was her money and her decision to make. And as far as two of her grandchildren being left out, I think there are probably plenty of possible explanations that would have made that understandable. No one should assume they are entitled to an inheritance, especially if they have conducted themselves in such a way as to alienate those around them (speaking from first-hand experience here).

thrillme
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
There's been plenty of people that have left money to their pets. She wasn't the first.

She left plenty to charity, gave 2 of the grandchildren a nice chunk (the prerequisits aren't all that bad...maybe they do already)...maybe the other two grandchildren have a little "Paris Hilton" or "Brittany Spears" behavior going on or maybe they've been sitting on their keesters like a couple of vultures counting on it. Both instances...I wouldn't leave them anything either. OR...maybe they're really well off and all that money would do for them is end up in Uncle Sam's pocket anyway because of taxes.

I have no doubt she had her reasons. Maybe she already gave them a bunch before she died. I'm sure one of them will right a sob story that will get them millions sorta like the Joan Crawford deal.

mrsHerbie53
08-30-2007, 04:26 PM
There's been plenty of people that have left money to their pets. She wasn't the first.

True... And it IS her business...

It is also true that the following phrase has been around for quite a number of years:

"More money than brains"

The flip side of that is. The dog certainly isn't going to pay taxes! Maybe that is a dig to the US government. Which is funny. Just think if she left it all to the dog and instructions on how those other people could use some of the money if they took the dog with them here or there or whatever. They could use some money with stipulations and not pay interitance taxes....

It is kind of fun though to think that you can mess with people even after you die.

PirateLover
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes, it's her money but leaving $12m to a dog is out there and that's my opinion. As I said I don't care that she left family out of the will. It's her business. But to give it to the dog? I like mrsHerbie53's point... maybe she was trying to stick it to someone or have a laugh by giving it to the dog. It's still a lavish waste of money though. :shrug:

snifflesmcg
08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
People like this irritate me to no end!! :mad: She definately owns up to her name "Queen of Mean". Words (especially on a family friendly site) can express how much this bugs me. Like this dog need $12 million!!! I'm sure that her grandchildren could use it or even some poor family or some sick kids. Ugh!:thedolls:

RenDuran
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I love the dog's name....Trouble! I hope he lives a long life and uses up the entire twelve-million dollars! :dog:

TheDuckRocks
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I guess I'm the only one but I thought that this was one of the funniest things I've heard in forever. Leave it to the Queen of Mean to go out of this life still making people mad.

jillluvsdisney
08-30-2007, 07:28 PM
It is unreal to leave that much money to a dog. She did leave a large chunk to her estate which will mean it goes to charity. Why did she have to leave her grand kids anything? I don't have a problem with that. It was her right to do so. The New York post had some eye opening articles about her last week.