PDA

View Full Version : an outburst at the Hall of Presidents

McGoofy
08-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Is this typically allowed? A few weeks ago, our family went to the Hall of Presidents. When it came to the part where all of the presidents get introduced, a man in the crowd began to "boo" really loudly and make a scene when George Bush was introduced and kept at it to the point where we couldn't hear much of what was being said when George Bush was making the speech. Now I understand that everyone has different feelings about the president, but is it really necessary to display them during a WDW attraction? Regardless of whether or not you like the current president, shouldn't you still be respectful? And if not respectful for the president, at least respectful of the other guests that are trying to hear the show? I was really surprised that a CM did not ask this man to be quiet. Has anyone else witnessed such an outburst at the Hall of Presidents?

DDuck66
08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
As it is said, there is a time and place for everything...at WDW is definatley not the place!!! I would have gone immediatly and gotten a CM. There are many of the presidents that do not have the best reputations, but the Hall of Presidents is not a political event. I would hope that Disney does not normally allow that behaivior to continue.

martinfamily5
08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Even my children have been taught that even if you do not like the President, you MUST still respect the position of President. How disappointing :(

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I wonder if he even knew he was booing essentially a robot. Hope he felt manly doing so.

All our recent viewings at the Hall have been with very respectful audiences. I hope this is the norm.

chrisb26
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree its sad that a CM didn't respond to that. I don't think it matters if you like the president or not. Displaying this in the Hall of Presidents isn't the right place to do so. All that he did was disturb the people around him. If he doesn't like to hear the president speak then why go into the Hall of Presidents? If he didn't know President Bush spoke then when he saw this and didn't like him why not just leave? Also, What are you really going to accomplish by booing a AA?

Carol
Regardless of political opinions - it's disrespectful.

MODERATOR ALERT
This topic is not to turn political or ugly. It will be closed immediately. It's not a thread in which to state your political views or feelings!!

illini
I find this to be completely unacceptable. There is a time and place for everything, and HoP is not somewhere to express your political views. I would be livid if my children were exposed to something like that.
I'm surprised that the CMs didn't do something. How did the other guests react?

LauraF
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
That's not surprising, but still disappointing. My parents and grandparents had the presidental scandals of their time (and still feel pretty strongly), but there is absolutely a time and place for such things.

Daisy'sMom
08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
It doesn't matter how anyone feels about the president, this runined someone's visit to the Hall of Presidents. That in it's self is a crime. With soaring prices, about 50% of those people in there might have this one opportunity to see this exhibit and now it is ruined. He should have been asked to leave.:mad:

GrumpyFan
08-29-2007, 11:13 AM
How tacky and rude! I guess he didn't understand that it was only an animatronic representation of the real Gerorge Bush. It would've taken eveyrthing I had in me NOT to yell out to the guy "SHUT UP or GET OUT".

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time with ignorant people when I'm at Disney. I make it a point to clumsily step over people who don't move all the way to the end of the row in shows where there told to do so.

Pooh Fan
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Furtunately I've never had such an experince at any Disney attraction. It must have definatley taken away from the Disney Magic that we all love. Sorry for you poor experience!

kakn7294
08-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Even my children have been taught that even if you do not like the President, you MUST still respect the position of President. How disappointing :(
Exactly! Whether you like the man or not, you still must be respectful not only of his position as leader but you must also be respectful of those around you. We've taught our DD's the same thing.

DizneyRox
08-29-2007, 11:43 AM
While I haven't witnessed an outburst as you describe, I have heard many a snicker during the show for many of the different presidents.

Momof2boys
08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
We have not gone to the Hall of Presidents since we started taking our boys. We didn't think that they would truly appreciate the attraction and become bored. Now that they are older, we are planning on sitting thru it once. I hope it will be a pleasant experience.

Ian
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Disrespectful, rude, inconsiderate and not the slightest bit surprising.

ibrowse17
08-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I wish someone had booed the guy. Disney is place where you park that stuff at the gate.

Disney Doll
08-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I think it is surprising that a CM didn't intervene. They are usually pretty good about keeping audiences in check. I don't think this kind of thing happens often.

PirateLover
08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I wonder if he even knew he was booing essentially a robot. Hope he felt manly doing so.

:funny: I know, right! It's not like W could hear him... by making such a scene you are just inconveniencing the other patrons and embarrassing yourself. I wonder if he expected people to boo along with him or cheer? How rude.

2Epcot
08-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I have never seen anything like that when I've gone to the Hall of Presidents. I also find that extremly rude. Someone giving a quck boo, or comment doesn't surprise me, but I would be surprised at someone who goes on and on during the show. I also think a CM should have stepped in and said something to him. I feel bad for the guests who were seeing the show for the first time.

McGoofy
08-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Secretly deep down inside I hope the guy that was booing at our show comes along and reads this post. Perhaps he will realize how rude he was and how disruptive it was to other guests!!

In a previous post, somebody asked how other guest reacted. My DH let out a pretty loud "shut up" as did some other guests. You could see people whispering to each other, so others were definitely annoyed. The guy happened to be on the very front row, so he had no clue of all of the dirty looks he was getting. Again, what he did was wrong, but I think worse than that, I am still amazed that a CM didn't quiet him down or make him leave.

What's next-- booing Uncle Orville at the Carousel of Progress???;)

mickey&missy
08-29-2007, 02:22 PM

So true!

I wonder exactly what the guy was thinking?! What was the point? Its a WDW attraction not a political forum.

Jeri Lynn
08-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I think that's pretty disspointing behavior....

DVC2004
08-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Disrespectful, rude, setting a bad example, and inconsiderate of others...hey, probably the same guy who plops himself down smack in the center of the row at the 3D shows and refuses to move. Or the guy that jumps in line in front of you then lets 20 of his friends and family go ahead, or...the list goes on. Some people just go about ruining things for the rest of us.:mad:

AvonleaCF
08-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm in the minority cause it wouldn't have bothered me. :secret: Well, okay, a quick boo would have made me snicker, but I wouldn't want someone talking over the entire attraction. I only go on it to take a nap. :D

Ian
08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
What's next-- booing Uncle Orville at the Carousel of Progress???;)I always boo that guy ... he hogs the coolest spot in the house!!

NJMan66
08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I wonder if he even knew he was booing essentially a robot.

Robots? Since when did they start using robots in this exhibit?
Just kidding. Too bad people can't leave their rude behavior at home.

cal5755
08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
The last time we went to Disney my youngest was 2 and she sat quietly through the entire show!! Goes to show the mentality of that man was younger than a 2 year old!! I can not believe adults can be so rude around kids.... I certainly hope he did not have any of his own!! I am sorry you had to deal with that... it is a great attraction and such a shame you didnt get to hear all of it. I can not believe a cm did not ask him to leave either... there was a man when we were in there who had a light on his camera and a cm came right over and asked him to turn it off.

DNS
08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I think it says a lot about a persons character to do something so rude and immature. Everyone has presidents they aren't too fond of, but do we set around booing them? How foolish. Sounds like he went in for just that purpose and frankly, I would have ended up saying something if I'd been close enough. Also, what a person thinks of an individual president is their own opinion, but the office itself deserves a great deal of respect and that seems to be something some do not understand. Can you imagine if we all sat booing the presidents we didn't like?

Stickey
08-29-2007, 04:58 PM
This poor behavior was an example of the need of the least intelligent members of our society to publicly display their ignorance. :mad:

The offender should have been removed from the theatre.

Kairi_7378
08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
When will people learn that they can't behave the same way in a theater (Disney attraction, movie, or other) that they do in their living rooms?! I agree with the poster who said that this person showed a very bad example while ruining the show for others. I wonder if the CM's were too surprised or weren't sure how to correct the man without making a bigger scene?
I like to imagine that there is a special bubble around Disney World where there are no politics... just happy times for guests.

DisneyDudet
08-29-2007, 06:27 PM

:shake::ditto:

I believe there was something that happened, not to the extent of this, when I was there once. I believe there was a boo from one man, then a cheer from the other. But that was it. It was after the speech, and they stopped.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with any president, it is uncalled for and rude to disrupt a show of any kind, no matter where you are.

All this man proved is that he is inconsiderate and rude. I bet people weren't agreeing or disagreeing with his view, they were more upset that he did it, rather than what he said.

Chances are this wasn't the first time this happened.

The Bookseller
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
This is lame at best. Once again, this is a story about a brunch of "ONEers" who don't understand how to act at WDW.

Sad, they spoil the show for everybody.

anewvision
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm in the minority cause it wouldn't have bothered me. :secret: Well, okay, a quick boo would have made me snicker, but I wouldn't want someone talking over the entire attraction. I only go on it to take a nap. :D

We all applauded in 10-2001

Victor Kelly
08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I have never seen this before. Certainly is rude by anyone's standards.

Mousefever
08-29-2007, 06:39 PM

I agree that this is not surprising. In this day and age there are plenty of rude people in all parts of the political spectrum. This is rude, boorish behavior, whether it is directed at George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, or Calvin Coolidge! Why does everyone seem to think that their freedom to express their opinions includes being disruptive in an inappropriate location? Tsk, tsk, tsk!

:dory:

The Bookseller
08-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Why does everyone seem to think that their freedom to express their opinions includes being disruptive in an inappropriate location?

Dunno but there's perfect vacation spot for those people. It's called "Universal Studios" and "Six Flags"! :D

At the end, those people will not understand the magic... and it will be their loss.

Tigger-N-Pooh
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I cannot believe how people act in public sometimes. It's like those people that feel they are specially entitled beyond other guests. I can't tell you how many times people have stepped right in front of my 4 year old at the last minute at a parade and when I ask them to move they tell me that they paid to come here and they aren't moving :mad:. It's so disappointing. Why can't people just act appropriately in public?:(

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I am sorry, this was extremely rude and disrespectful. I know in America we are blessed with the freedom of speech. But, please be considerate of others during the show.

HOLITRIN
08-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't it have been a hoot if a couple of CM's came out dressed like the secret service personnel and took him out. of the building..:rotfl:

EvilQueen2006
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
:funny:
Wouldn't it have been a hoot if a couple of CM's came out dressed like the secret service personnel and took him out...

:rotfl: Now that would have been funny!

Although I have wanted to boo, I would never let my disdain for a politician ruin someone else's viewing of HoP. I keep it in during the show, then give my family an earful when its over. In fact, I usually skip this attraction because it brings up :mad: feelings and who wants to be angry at WDW? I don't know why someone with so little self-control would even go into the HoP. He must have known that W was depicted in the show, why put himself and the other people in the theater in that position?

The Bookseller
08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't it have been a hoot if a couple of CM's came out dressed like the secret service personnel and took him out. of the building..:rotfl:

I do believe that having the Secret Service "Suits" as standard CM costume for the exibit would be really cool. After all, this is a hall full of presidents! :D

LoriMistress
08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Is this typically allowed? A few weeks ago, our family went to the Hall of Presidents. When it came to the part where all of the presidents get introduced, a man in the crowd began to "boo" really loudly and make a scene when George Bush was introduced and kept at it to the point where we couldn't hear much of what was being said when George Bush was making the speech. Now I understand that everyone has different feelings about the president, but is it really necessary to display them during a WDW attraction? Regardless of whether or not you like the current president, shouldn't you still be respectful? And if not respectful for the president, at least respectful of the other guests that are trying to hear the show? I was really surprised that a CM did not ask this man to be quiet. Has anyone else witnessed such an outburst at the Hall of Presidents?

I've never had experienced anyone heckling at THOP, but I have heard (and been apart of) when the crowd would groan when Michael Eizner was in the One Man's Dream movie in MGM/DHS.

snifflesmcg
08-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Although I have wanted to boo, I would never let my disdain for a politician ruin someone else's viewing of HoP. I keep it in during the show, then give my family an earful when its over. In fact, I usually skip this attraction because it brings up :mad: feelings and who wants to be angry at WDW? I don't know why someone with so little self-control would even go into the HoP. He must have known that W was depicted in the show, why put himself and the other people in the theater in that position?

I've never had experienced anyone heckling at THOP, but I have heard (and been apart of) when the crowd would groan when Michael Eizner was in the One Man's Dream movie in MGM/DHS.

Agreed!

The first time several times I've seen HoP, President Lincoln was the one who stood and spoke. Fast forward until 2005, I didn't know they changed the attraction. When I saw Bush get up and speak, my mother shot me a dirty look as to say "keep quiet".

Although I have extremely strong oppinions, I would neve ruin anybody else's experience. It's not fair to kids who don't have political opinions. I probably would have snickered at a quick boo but loud, obnoxious booing is uncalled for.

LoriMistress
08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Agreed!

The first time several times I've seen HoP, President Lincoln was the one who stood and spoke. Fast forward until 2005, I didn't know they changed the attraction. When I saw Bush get up and speak, my mother shot me a dirty look as to say "keep quiet" as she knows I how feel (how we both feel).

Although I have extremely strong oppinions, I would neve ruin anybody else's experience. It's not fair to kids who don't have political opinions. I probably would have snickered at a quick boo but loud, obnoxious booing is uncalled for.

The person that's forcing their opinions towards others just look stupid. It's like, Wow, I'm so cool for yelling my non-witty opinions in the HOP, because arguing at an AA of Bush Jr. is gonna make me look so cool and smart! I'm as smart at Petter Griffen.

Donald A
08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
For my Honeymoon in November 2003, most people actually booed for Clinton and cheered for GW Bush while a few Clinton "supporters" booed while everyone was cheering for GW Bush. The hall wasn't very full and I think people were making mild political statements likely due to the mix of people in the room (by chance). This was just during the introductions, though, and not while the characters were actually speaking and not disruptive. However, this is inappropriate as WDW has a large diversity of people and it is hardly effective to boo a robot.

cal5755
08-29-2007, 10:01 PM
The reality is every past, present and future president will have people who will strongly disagree with how they run the country. Even our most beloved presidents had haters. WDW HOP is not the place for big or little boo's. Cheers and jeers need to be left at the door!!

As a mom of 3, I love this attraction as it is a way for the kids to recieve a little bit of our presidential history in a very entertaining way. My two older kids (8,12) both have it on their list of favorite things to do this year. I would not want to have to take time from our trip explaining away some rude reactions or try answering the why questions that would follow!

I bet you any amount of money if someone booed that guy as they exited he would have copped an attitude or took a tantrum. Actually as I read through the posts the second time it made me think of the v8 commercial... you know where they get smacked on the head with the "what are ya thinking" look!!

Here is hoping we NEVER encounter a rude guest at Disney!!!

MinnieMommie
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Never seen anything out of the ordinary at Hall of Presidents. Very surprising that it was allowed to continue. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Wonder if he would yell at POTC - ya know? Those pirates are still selling women into bondage.:D

cal5755
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Wonder if he would yell at POTC - ya know? Those pirates are still selling women into bondage.

:funny: I could just picture it!! Talk about politically correct!!!

mttafire
08-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Its sad that people cant respect the leader of the free world for crying out loud.:mad: WDW is indeed a MAJOR part of Americana.

RAIDER
08-30-2007, 04:04 AM
What a sad man :(..respective of politics but if he cant distinguish between a show and reality then this man needs serious help :(

Natazu
08-30-2007, 04:23 AM
Wonder if he would yell at POTC - ya know? Those pirates are still selling women into bondage.:D
No, after the PC refurb, the women are simply part of a charity auction to benefit out of work audioanimatronics.

Rachel yells at people using flash photos on dark rides. I couldn't imagine what would happen if she was in the theatre when someone booed the president.

SurferStitch
08-30-2007, 06:35 AM
We all applauded in 10-2001

Yeah, it was the same way when we were there on 9/20/01. The entire theater cheered and applauded. It was very cool.

I've heard the occasional quick boo over the past few years, and while tacky, at least it was only for a few seconds. The guy that the OP was talking about was just ridiculous. Like a lot have said, whether or not you like the president doesn't matter....respect the office of the president.

The lack of intelligence with that guy is just astounding.

CaptainSad
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
The guy should have been thrown out if you ask me. I have walked out of concerts where the musicians have ranted about politics. I paid good money to see shows not spew garbage about politics. I would have told him to shut or leave. But that is just me...

Olivia's Daddy
08-30-2007, 09:30 AM
When political disagreement turns to hatred, this is what you get. People become disconnected from reality and rationality. I certainly disagree with some of the political message in the "Circle of Life" environmental film at Epcot, but I'm not about to stand up and boo or shout at Simba.

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I guess this guy spent a little too much time over at Peter Pan's flight and Never Grew Up!

Like a previous comment mentioned I wonder if he was one fry short of a happy meal and didn't realize he was jeering a robot.

Just Curious though what is the proper response of a CM for this issue? ie how are they trained to handle this?

WDWFREAK101
08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
the norm.

LOL! Very true! That man just probably wanted to impress a girl or something. That guy is just a loser.

grumpycajun
08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
What a classy guy.

mousetrapper
08-30-2007, 07:55 PM
WDW is not the place to make one's political views known. And it's especially rude to make any kind of disturbance -- with or without political overtones -- in a public place, especially one where everyone is trying to listen and be respectful.

Having said that, this is America, and that freedom is what sets us apart from many other countries.

You just can't make someone be polite or respectful, unfortunately.

:(

TTAtravler
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip;1402027]I wonder if he even knew he was booing essentially a robot. Hope he felt manly doing so.

:funny::funny: LOL! I love my fellow intercotees!

CandleontheWater
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think that HoP is the forum to <express opinions>. I personally won't go into HoP, clearly that man could have employed the same jugement and not disturbed the people around him.

clou1028
08-30-2007, 08:35 PM

All our recent viewings at the Hall have been with very respectful audiences. I hope this is the norm.

LOL! That's what I was thinking - Did he realize that wasn't the actual President up there? :D

Seriously though, I have my own opinions on current and former administrations, but goodness night, this is WDW! Not a place for a political protest!

I love the Hall of Presidents, it has long been one of my favorite attractions and I would be upset if it were interrupted that way during my visit.

baldburke
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Well it looks like our Intercot Community has manners regardless of their political views. That's great. I did not read all the responses, but it looks like the responses were essentially uniform.

katzctkpt
08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
What a fine example this person has set for children.

Carol
08-31-2007, 09:38 AM
MODERATOR ALERT

Please keep political opinions out of this thread. INTERCOT is a Disney Vacation site. If you want to discuss political views - please use Google to find a different forum on the net.

This is the third warning. The next time the thread will simply be closed.

McGoofy
08-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey Guys! I had no intentions of this being a political thread and that is very clear in the way that I wrote my OP. Please don't make her lock it. There has been some good feedback, so don't be the one to ruin it for the rest of us. My original post had to do with respect of guests during a show. Change the setting and pretend I said that the man had acted out during one of the animatronics talking in Carousel of Progress. ;) He was quite disrupting and took away from other guests being able to enjoy the show. I was very upset that a CM didn't do anything about it. Another poster came along and asked how a CM was trained to handle such a situation. This question never got answered, and I would love to hear the answer (if anyone knows it) before our posting privleges get taken away. Thanks!

gueli
08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
1) HoP is not the place for an outburst of any kind (neither would CoP, PotC, RnR,or any other attraction)
2) another post "have you ever seen a CM put a rude guest (tactfully) in their place" might somewhat answer the question of how they were trained.(although I would still like to see it here...)
3) From what i have read, people are not getting political here. they are stating opinions like :quote:'CandleontheWater -I don't think that HoP is the forum to <express opinions>. I personally won't go into HoP, clearly that man could have employed the same jugement and not disturbed the people around him.' :quote:
4) many of us are adults here and simply believe that how we behave is how we would like others to behave, in other words a little repect, courtesy, and a nice smile. a little mannors can go a long way
PS - in My DD preschool at the end of the year they handed out little medals for how the kids acted (most outgoing, nicest smile, etc) - DD got one that said most polite. Sure made me proud:cry:

Have a nice day
:mickey:

Carol
08-31-2007, 06:49 PM
From what i have read, people are not getting political here.That's because everything off topic has been edited out.

As Tara requested .. lets move on .........

dephenn
08-31-2007, 07:05 PM
The guy was as I tell my kids when they come accross bullies and mean kids and loud mouths, This guy was raised wrong, I hope he doesn't have any kids or someday our kids might have to sit through his kids Tirade.

texasteacher
09-01-2007, 11:55 AM
He should have been escorted out of the park, in my opinion.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
What frustrates me the most about this situation is that
1. The guy was not made to leave since he was interrupting the show for people around him. No matter what the ride or attraction in my opinion. If someone disrupted Snow White for other guests I would want them removed. HOP for us, is an attraction that my kids know they must be the most respectful of others in. (In regards to not talking, etc)

2. If that situation happened while we were there, I know I would have to spend time explaining to my kids why it happened instead of answering their questions about the show, etc. I would leave it at some people just do not have much common sense, but, it frustrates me that anything like that would take away from what our family was seeing.

K8screen
09-01-2007, 02:41 PM
As a Brit, I think you can all be very, very proud that this was such a rare incident. I love HoP, but am always upset to think that if we had a show like this about our elected leaders in UK, few people would go, and those that did would mostly laugh and jeer. I wish patriotism like yours was allowed here. Some years ago DS went to a cub scout jamboree at a US airbase here in Scotland. They played the US anthem, and all the US cub scouts stood to attention and sang it. They then played our anthem, and our little guys shuffled their feet in embarrasment; some tried to sing but none knew the words, as our anthem is NOT taught to kids here in case it gives offence to other nations! You dont know how lucky you are to be allowed to celebrate your country.

MrPeetrie
09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
There are so many "appropriate" places to aire out one's political views and Disney's Hall of Presidents on vacation is DEFINITELY NOT ONE OF THEM!

The last thing I want to be doing on my vacation is explaining to my 4-year-old daughter why she can't hear an attraction because someone else is booing an audioanimatronic of our president! Please, have a little respect for others.

dtootsie42
09-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Wow, I am truly amazed that a CM did not come in and escort this guy out of the place. As many have stated there is a time and a place to voice your political agenda but the Hall of Presidents is not the place. Its sad that this happened and I would be questioning somebody in charge as to why nothing was done so that not only myself but everybody else could enjoy the experience.

FatherForce
09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
On our 94 trip, a FAMILY began booing and heckling the Clinton AA.

Some in the crowd laughed and cheered them on.

Haven't been in the HoP since.

Red Randal
09-02-2007, 05:37 PM
It's kind of funny, actually, that someone would boo for the ENTIRE speech. I know the president is not the most long winded guy in the world but still.

I'll admit, though, that when I'm in the HoP and it's not especially crowded (when is it ever) I sometimes like to clap and cheer at the introduction of one of the obscure presidents like Franklin Pierce or Chester Arthur. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

McGoofy
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
It's kind of funny, actually, that someone would boo for the ENTIRE speech. I know the president is not the most long winded guy in the world but still.

I'll admit, though, that when I'm in the HoP and it's not especially crowded (when is it ever) I sometimes like to clap and cheer at the introduction of one of the obscure presidents like Franklin Pierce or Chester Arthur. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

No, no...it wasn't the ENTIRE speech. I think I would have said something to him myself if he had done that. He just started booing as soon as the President was introduced and then continued during the first part of the speech. Thankfully, it wasn't the WHOLE speech.

And this time it was pretty crowded. This was a few weeks ago in August when the temps were in triple digits, so the HOP was a very nice air conditioned spot to be in!:)

spoiledraf
09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Is there a chance this guy had a mental problem and it was easier to let him go on than try to contain his comments? I encountered a woman at a high school football game a few years ago taunting the players as they came off the field. I confronted her only to find she was, well, not really responsable for her actions.

mouseketeer mom
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow, I am truly amazed that a CM did not come in and escort this guy out of the place. As many have stated there is a time and a place to voice your political agenda but the Hall of Presidents is not the place. Its sad that this happened and I would be questioning somebody in charge as to why nothing was done so that not only myself but everybody else could enjoy the experience.

I'm with you. WDW is run like a top. Where were the CM's??

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-10-2007, 12:42 AM
I always spend so much time in the other countries that I end up skipping the American pavilion. This time we are going to check it out. I hope no one does this when we go. Other than info on the Presidents what else is there? I heard that they are adding in "National Treasure". So this thread doesn't get removed....tell me why you enjoy the American Adventure.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and free speech but this is not the place to exercise that. It is very disrespectful to the other people who are there. Also, people need to remember that there are a lot of people that come to WDW from around the world. Do we want them to think that we are rude, disrespectful people who don't support their own country or respect others? People who act like this in public end up with kids who have respect for nothing and no one. :mad:

Kudos to martinfamily5 and kakn7294 for teaching your kids to be respectful even if you don't agree!:clappy:

Melanie
09-10-2007, 02:38 AM
I always spend so much time in the other countries that I end up skipping the American pavilion. This time we are going to check it out. I hope no one does this when we go. Other than info on the Presidents what else is there? I heard that they are adding in "National Treasure". So this thread doesn't get removed....tell me why you enjoy the American Adventure.

Just to clarify, we are discussing the Hall of Presidents in the Magic Kingdom, not the American Adventure in Epcot.

In order to remain on topic, you may want to start another thread regarding your questions about the American Adventure. :flag:

thrillme
09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm with the early poster...Dude was booing a robot? Go figure???

Personally I get a rather "annoyed" at anybody who tries to press hard political views on the general population in front of my child...THEN I find myself having to "explain" the WHY he/she might have done that (my DS gets really inquisitive about politics sometimes). We both know it's disrespectful. I'm really not in the mood to discuss "politcs" with an 11 year old (or younger) while on vacation. The booer should have been thrown out. I'm laying odds that the CM might have not seen "exactly" where it came from and they were in the middle of the row. To hard to go and snag them without causing further disruption.

Personally I'm not really all that pumped about the Hall of Presidents - but it's a great place to escape the heat and rest for a bit without going back to the hotel. Honestly it's been so long since we've been there I can't tell you much about it.

Grace
09-10-2007, 04:01 PM
This same sort of thing happened when we visited HOP shortly after 9-11. Several people booed and whispered when Clinton stood :shake:

It's very disrespectful. We have always told our children, if you can't respect the person, at lease respect the office, whatever it may be!

Marker
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Frankly, I find this very disrespectful regardless of whether it is an audio-animatronic figure, or a real person. The right to speak applies to everyone, not just those you agree with. Besides, how can you disagree with the message unless you actually hear it first. But to me, opposing opinions or views are no excuse for disrespectful, or rude, behavior. But that's just my opinion.

Mickeylover71
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I personally have never experienced anything like that, especially in the Hall of Presidents. It's an attraction that is meant for entertainment..not to express political views.

For that matter, Disney is no place to express political matters. I don't mind of people have their own opinions, but don't shove it down someone elses's throat..especially at a family resort..Just my two cents.

BTW that guy should have been thrown out of the park :)

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Just to clarify, we are discussing the Hall of Presidents in the Magic Kingdom, not the American Adventure in Epcot.

In order to remain on topic, you may want to start another thread regarding your questions about the American Adventure. :flag:

Well, I haven't been to that either but will have after this trip.

Crystal Palace
09-11-2007, 10:20 AM

That's so rude! People need to learn when to keep their opinions to themselves. He's lucky I wasn't there! I would have told him off!:thedolls:

SwtVaBrz7
11-05-2007, 01:21 AM
I like to imagine that there is a special bubble around Disney World where there are no politics... just happy times for guests.
Amen! I think one of the thousands of reasons why I love DW is because it's the one place I don't have to deal with politics for once! :mickey:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
11-05-2007, 01:23 AM

When it all comes down to it, this man has serious issues. Because essentially......he was boo-ing a robot.

Think about that!

Chris :hatter:

tennantsrwe
11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Geez, people will find a way to ruin just about anything....even a WDW attraction...when it comes to politics. I've never seen an incidient at HOP and I would have been stunned. I'm very suprised the CM didn't insist the man either quiet down or leave. I would have complained to guest services or something, just to make the higher ups aware of the situation. That's just ridiculous, it's a robot. :mad: I hope we don't have this problem on our Dec trip.

malip
11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
This is very disturbing on a number of fronts. The thing that bothers me the most is that the individual must have planned his outburst prioro to going into the HoP. I would have been very upset and would not have been able to sit quietly and allowed this to happen. My wife and I try to raise our children with a great sense of pride for our country regardless of who is in power. Our trips to HoP and the AA in Epcot are very Patriotic for us. I even tend to tear during the AA because of my strong sense of pride. I am a Veteran of the Armed Forces and am very proud of our Country. I would never do such a thing in this setting.

asrai555
11-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Its sad that people cant respect the leader of the free world for crying out loud.:mad: WDW is indeed a MAJOR part of Americana.

While I agree that the patron's behavior was incorrect, I think it is unfair to presume that people *must* respect a particular person.

The individual in question clearly doesn't respect Bush, and he shouldn't *have* to. The title, position, or job of an individual shouldn't automatically garner respect. Action and principle of the individual should.

jedigrrrl
11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
LOL. yes. during GW Bush as well. People booed. It was so funny.

McGoofy
11-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Ha! I can't believe this post got dragged back out again from our HOP visit in early August! I have since returned from another Disney trip just last week for Halloween. I am proud to report that there were no outbursts during my visit last week. When I originally wrote the post, I only mentioned that the man booed President Bush. When we were there last week, my DH reminded me that the man also stood up and applauded for Richard Nixon. I had forgotten about that. What some people will do.

brownie
11-05-2007, 04:30 PM

My thoughts exactly.

How selfish to ruin the show for others around you by booing during it.

WheresWalt
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Priceless observation.:thumbsup:

I had wondered if this had ever happened. Should have known there would be at least one idiot out there who would see nothing wrong with ruining others HoP experience just to boo at a robot. :scratch:

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I just don't get this at all...no matter what you feel about the current president, or any president, this is an attraction, and it is rude to disrupt any attraction....end of story in my books.

It should have less to do with pride or anger at the american political system, and more to do with just general decent behaviour!

NJDad
11-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Although most humans have the same opinion of Bush as the gentleman in question, it wasn't right to do what he did.

However, his view of the Bush animatronic as Bush himself is more in the spirit of the attraction and WDW itself instead of the 'it's a robot!' statements.

They call it the Hall of Presidents, not The Hall of Robots. The guy went along and suspended his disbelief, as many of us do.

When you meet "Mickey" most don't treat him as what he actually is but as a beloved animated character who just so happens to be hanging out with us in the real world.

As a species, we're big on symbols. Take some fabrics and make a flag. Someone burns it, and suddenly we need to rewrite the consitution to protect what you could easily call 'some cloth'.

Take two straight lines, make a cross, and now it's a revered icon.

Take a robot, make it look like W., and, yes, some will take it for what it represents instead of what it actually 'is' along the same lines.

magicofdisney
11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
This is very disturbing on a number of fronts. The thing that bothers me the most is that the individual must have planned his outburst prioro to going into the HoP. I would have been very upset and would not have been able to sit quietly and allowed this to happen. My wife and I try to raise our children with a great sense of pride for our country regardless of who is in power. Our trips to HoP and the AA in Epcot are very Patriotic for us. I even tend to tear during the AA because of my strong sense of pride. I am a Veteran of the Armed Forces and am very proud of our Country. I would never do such a thing in this setting.
Unfortunately, patriotism seems to be a lost value in our education system these days.

LibertyTreeGal
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I try to look at it this way -- people believe about any president, whether Clinton, Bush or whoever, exactly what the press wants them to believe. No one has a real view because we are not in that office everyday, we just get half-stories that slant whichever way the media wants it to slant, and most of it boils down to gossip. We arrogantly assume that we know something when really we are operating on very little information -- that a man takes that very little information he gets through the media and turns it into hatred vented at a robot in front of people's kids is a sad commentary on us as a nation.

bfbulldog
11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I try to look at it this way -- people believe about any president, whether Clinton, Bush or whoever, exactly what the press wants them to believe. No one has a real view because we are not in that office everyday, we just get half-stories that slant whichever way the media wants it to slant, and most of it boils down to gossip. We arrogantly assume that we know something when really we are operating on very little information -- that a man takes that very little information he gets through the media and turns it into hatred vented at a robot in front of people's kids is a sad commentary on us as a nation.

I couldn't agree more, we probably know only about 1/10th of 1% of what really goes on and who these people really are. Would any of us really want that job? They are in an impossible position. Unfortunately most people are lemmings just following the herd and accepting everything they hear and read as gospel and without question and that's the real problem.

4ubie1
11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I am terrible sorry to hear about that. I am surprised, like everyone else, that the CMs did nothing to stop him. :mad: I don't know about the rest of ya but I don't go to WDW to express my personal opinions..especially in politics. I go to have fun and be removed from reality for a short time. :D Sounds like he went to the show for the expressed purpose of making a spectacle of himself. Which he did!!...how dumb can you be to boo at an AA?? honestly..who does he think he was impressing?? :nono:

ayeckley
11-06-2007, 04:06 PM
No one has a real view because we are not in that office everyday, we just get half-stories that slant whichever way the media wants it to slant, and most of it boils down to gossip.

Well said. Perception becomes reality.

WheresWalt
11-07-2007, 02:20 AM

Exactly!!:thumbsup:

goofysbabe
11-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Regardless of political opinions - it's disrespectful.

MODERATOR ALERT
This topic is not to turn political or ugly. It will be closed immediately. It's not a thread in which to state your political views or feelings!!

I totally agree! We are setting examples for our children to follow and this kind of behavior just makes me :sick:!

RedheadWriter
11-13-2007, 08:34 AM
It seems the HoP brings out the outspoken and politically inclined! I am reminded of Monday morning quarterbacks.....
In Jan 2000, an older group of people were guffawing and rolling their eyes at then president Bill Clinton during the show (by older I mean, "snowbird" age retireees...) As we left the theater, one of the ladies in the group loudly exclaimed that "If Al Gore gets elected, I'll move to Canada" I couldn't resist turning around and giving a thumbs up and saying "Al Gore 2000, baby!" :blush:
The other incident which really made me laugh was in 2001, sitting with a group of high school students. As the presidential roll call was announced, one kid, obviously the class clown, who was sitting in the front row wanted to show his knowledge of the presidents.
The voice announced : "Richard M. Nixon". The boy stood up, held his hands aloft with peace signs on each side and performed a perfect imitation of Nixon.

MiceWork
11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
You must at least respect the office, not necessarily the man behind it. The Hall of Presidents is a nice show about the roles and different views of America´s presidents. If you disagree with President Bush, you should keep your opinions to yourself during the presentation.

I´m from Brazil, and I´ve been to WDW four times. The american people are one of the niciests on the world. Very respectful and happy. Can´t wait until my next trip to America!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I had the opposite experience once..when Bush was introduced, a group started cheering and chanting "bush bush bush" many people then booed and walked out, including me. It ruined it for me in just the same way as someone who would've booed the whole speech

irish1967
11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I had the opposite experience once..when Bush was introduced, a group started cheering and chanting "bush bush bush" many people then booed and walked out, including me. It ruined it for me in just the same way as someone who would've booed the whole speech

Quite frankly, neither is appropriate.

This goes beyone "respecting the office rather than the man" as far as I'm concerned, booing any president in the HOP irks me the same way as someone interfering in any ride or show at WDW.

Everyone who is in the park deserves to have the full experience of the rides and show - booing (or cheering) is disrupting to others in the audience and shouldn't occur.

Lots of people do rude things at WDW - this is simply one of them.

I fall in the category of using something like this as a teaching moment for my children and letting it go.

MiceWork
11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
There sould be a warning sign just outside the park entrance saying: "You must leave all glass bottles, weapons and politics outisde"... :thumbsup:

Tekneek
11-15-2007, 06:34 AM
It certainly is not the appropriate forum to 'boo.' Animatronic Dubya just doesn't care at all. Dubya in the flesh may not care either, but at least he might actually hear them.

LibertyTreeGal
11-15-2007, 07:11 AM
There sould be a warning sign just outside the park entrance saying: "You must leave all glass bottles, weapons and politics outisde"... :thumbsup:

And no flash photography! :thumbsup:

BelleandtheBeast
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
He should be been for respectful to the audience. That is just rude, some people are on the ride to relax and learn a bit of history.

bfbulldog
11-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I think it's clear politics should be left at home, because honestly not one person really cares a wit what another individuals political beliefs are toward any politcian. Just like it's inappropriate to yell fire in a crowded theater it's just as inapproriate to foist your political beliefs at Disney.

mttafire
11-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I've said it before and i'll say it now:
You just dont boo the leader of the free world,
No matter who they are. Bush,Clinton,Kennedy or even Nixon. These men are all noble men who lead the greatest country on earth that ever was or will be. I look up to all of them regardless of political party. If folks feel the need to boo then id say they need "help".
Cheering is to be expected, Its patriotic. Booing is just ignorant.
Shawn

disneymom2000
11-18-2007, 12:45 PM
The worst I have observed was some teenagers went in to watch and they complained during the show continuously how boring it was. I wanted to tell them to leave and let everyone else enjoy it. There is no rule that you can't get up and leave during a performance if you can't contain yourself from being disruptive.

TheMartellFamily
11-18-2007, 01:44 PM
:shake:While there is so much to comment about this, I have a feeling that this is the same person during rush hour can not leave his hand off the horn screaming for people to go and the traffic is completely stopped in every direction. While it is not right they have a diluted idea that is was/is right thing to do. Oh well, I do not see him running for president. Enough said.:humph:

LibertyTreeGal
11-18-2007, 03:08 PM
The worst I have observed was some teenagers went in to watch and they complained during the show continuously how boring it was.

Whenever I hear something like that out of a teenager, I raise my eyebrow and reply, "And you obviously have no clue how boring it is listening to you whine like a little girl. " :D

Kids like that make lifeless robots seem thrilling in comparison....

DisneyGiant
11-18-2007, 05:18 PM
This may seem silly - but I haven't visited that attraction since about 7 years ago.

Its not about the politics - its about the voice - its like nails on chalkboard to me. :ack:

I am so looking forward to next year's election - a new voice and speech will be introduced!!

And sometime in 2009 - I'll get to visit it again!!!

But I agreed with the other posters - its silly to boo a robot ......... had I been there - I probably would have chuckled though.

LudwigVonDrake
11-18-2007, 05:28 PM
A CM should have spoken to him or removed him from the Theater :(

Speedy1998
11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
This is a really sad testiment to what our society has become.

I remeber in the 70's and early 80's, the audiance in the HOP stood during the playing of "Hail to the Chief".

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, that may be a nice sentiment, standing up..but as someone else pointed out before, booing a robot is weird, but giving a robot a standing ovation is also..weird ;)

Next month I will go see the show and if anyone boo's or cheers to loudly I will say something :D

Mackflava99
11-23-2007, 03:25 PM
An amusement park is not the place to voice any political opinion. Its sad that it happened.
My kids are learning abou the presidents in school and enjoy the fact they get to see them.
Like it or not, whomever is our president is voted my a majority. that's our right . I don't follow a particular party so I am not a good spokesperson, but.... if you didn't get the person you wanted in place, you have to vote until you get someone. You can't please everyone.

Enjoy it for the craftwork, the animatronics and the celebration of our freedom. Its a classic , educational and beautiful exhibit.

RSGBSG2002
11-24-2007, 12:52 AM
"And that's when the robot realized that it was wrong and sadly walked off the stage. It was never seen again in the Magic Kingdom. The end."

Really. An opinion only matters when it can make a difference. Shouting your opinion to a bunch of tourists won't change any minds, or get a whole lot of support.

This was nothing more than one man who was too childish to realize that no one cares about anyone's point of view on any serious issue when they're on vacation.

No matter how many agreed or disagreed with his statements, no one was going to join in a riot or cause the ride to shut down. He should've just yelled "I'm attention hungry! Please look at me! I'm the guy who needs to validate his opinion to a bunch of strangers! Please like me!" It would have been a lot more to the point, and I'm sure he would've been removed.

I can only guess he wasn't removed because whoever was in charge of unruly guest removal agreed with him and let it go. Only a guess, of course, and still wrong regardless.

realtreebar
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
some people only think of themselves and try to impose their belifes onto others (sad) "gotta love :mickey:"

bfbulldog
11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
"And that's when the robot realized that it was wrong and sadly walked off the stage. It was never seen again in the Magic Kingdom. The end."

Really. An opinion only matters when it can make a difference. Shouting your opinion to a bunch of tourists won't change any minds, or get a whole lot of support.

This was nothing more than one man who was too childish to realize that no one cares about anyone's point of view on any serious issue when they're on vacation.

No matter how many agreed or disagreed with his statements, no one was going to join in a riot or cause the ride to shut down. He should've just yelled "I'm attention hungry! Please look at me! I'm the guy who needs to validate his opinion to a bunch of strangers! Please like me!" It would have been a lot more to the point, and I'm sure he would've been removed.

I can only guess he wasn't removed because whoever was in charge of unruly guest removal agreed with him and let it go. Only a guess, of course, and still wrong regardless.

Well said and 100% true

EJS-Houston
11-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I personally have an extremely low opinion of our current president, but I would never be so disrespectful, nor would I allow anyone in my party be so disrespectful, of the other people in the theater's right to experience the attraction unhindered.

lightyearfan
11-26-2007, 04:29 PM
yes this happened as we attended in June, but we had a few people boo, and i agree not the place for it.

Victor

RaRaRoundTheWorld
12-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Politicians mud-sling, act childish and rude too! IMO politicians are people elected often through corrupts means.

We don't believe in being respectful towards anyone who we don't personally know, but takes our money, simply because they use a certain title. That is how whole countries can be misled.

Having said that, WDW is a place of fantasy and joy. I don't think it's the place to air political opinions. People work so hard for a few days of fun. That man was obviously not feeling the Disney spirit when he booed a robot!

I don't think that a CM should have been called because it is a free country and we are free to express our opinions! Maybe it would have been better for others in the group to gently express their disgust at his actions.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't think that a CM should have been called because it is a free country and we are free to express our opinions!In appropriate places. But sometimes there are additional, common sense and polite rules to follow besides the Bill of Rights.

Rhetoric2000
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Throughout mankind's modern history philosophical and satirical genius has taken many forms

Jean-Paul Satre
Voltaire
Oscar Wilde
HL Mencken
Noel Coward
Peter Cook
Woody Allen
Chris Morris

These great men looked across and despite their cutting epigrams, witty ripostes and philosophical inginuity they saw the man who once and for all perfected the art of mockery.

Yes:

The guy who bood GW Bush's animatronic likeness in the Hall of Presidents.

Although I was there one time and when Nixon was introduced I heard a voice from about two rows back saying "oooh, watch what you say guys". I must confess I had a chuckle at that one.

EPCOT84
12-02-2007, 10:02 PM
These great men looked across and despite their cutting epigrams, witty ripostes and philosophical inginuity they saw the man who once and for all perfected the art of mockery.

Yes:

The guy who bood GW Bush's animatronic likeness in the Hall of Presidents.

:crazy:

EPCOT84
12-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I remeber in the 70's and early 80's, the audiance in the HOP stood during the playing of "Hail to the Chief".

:high5: I would if others did too but these days ... I'm too chicken :blush:! Folks like *that guy* scare me.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
12-03-2007, 07:40 AM
In appropriate places. But sometimes there are additional, common sense and polite rules to follow besides the Bill of Rights.

Yes, I agree with regard to internally understanding socially accepted pacts in order to enjoy something. There are many situations in which people loudly and openly express their opinion which may violate the rules of decorum for most people.

However, because understanding rules of tact is subjective, it varies, as it did for this man. IMO bringing in the "official" figure of the CM is beyond what is necessitated by the man's actions.

I wonder how many incidents like this, or worse, Disney deals with and how? I don't know if it's a stressful time of year, but so far, I've been told by 3 families who have visited over the last few weeks about such annoying behavior. I guess one incident per visit is not so bad when you consider how many people are at the parks.