PDA

View Full Version : Do me a favor

Dreamer14
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I just got back from WDW and it was amazing. I went by myself for the first time and I recommend it to anyone. While at the parks I noticed things that made me sick. So please do me a favor.

Never grab your children. I don't care how old they are. I saw so many parents grab their children in rage and begin to yell at them. Don't grab your children by the arm and yell at them because everyone is watching.

Never push your kids into doing the whole park in a day. Kids get tired, especially when it's hot and muggy, so don't push them to their physical limits.

If you have to say "I didn't pay all this money for you to not have fun" then you shouldn't be at WDW in the first place.

During the hall of presidents don't talk throughout the entire show.

And the worst thing that people should never do... if the "Standby" line says 50 minutes, do not complain over and over again after 25 minutes. You know what you were getting into so stop complaining.

All of the issues above I unfortunately witnesses first hand from parents and people at WDW. I ask that everyone do me a favor and never do this stuff again.

Thank you

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-28-2007, 10:05 PM
I ask that everyone do me a favor and never do this stuff again.

Well, I can safely say that you would never witness any of those things from our family. :(
:(
I am sorry that you had to see those things. Please know that there are a lot of parents that are enjoying their vacation and their kids in WDW.

I am glad you had a great time, though!! :mickey:

mook3y
08-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I try to look at these kind of situations, the same way I do drivers (especially when I lived in LA).

There are a LOT of people in this world. Maybe what you were exposed to was a rare incident for that family.

Not everyone is a perfect "driver" 100% of the time. :D

CleveSJM
08-28-2007, 11:11 PM
:drama: Would you like some cheese with your whine:wine:? ;)

Just kidding. I know where you are coming from but I have a hard time being so judgemental. I try to never say never. Especially if I don't know the whole situation...

Parents:
Do grab your child if they about to walk into a dangerous area or get squashed by something. Feel free to "yell" at them to make sure they learn from the event.

Push your kids... in the stroller to help keep them rested. :blush:

Agree with the other two points...:thumbsup:

kakn7294
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
I understand what you are saying but it's not fair to judge others because you witnessed a single incident in their day. As a parent, I can tell you that I have told my kids that I didn't pay all that money to come to WDW for them to whine that they want to swim - want some background? My parents and my aunt live 10 min away and both have pools that the girls can go to anytime they want - the problem is that they don't want to. I really didn't pay for airline tickets, a resort stay, and park tickets to chuck it all for them to swim the day away when they won't do it at home. I also have grabbed my DD's by the arm - usually because they are in their own little world and need redirected. Sometimes grabbing the arm is the only way to get their attention and the yelling is to reinforce the point. Remember too, that parents are human and sometimes the heat and humidity that gets to our kids makes us whiny too and we aren't always on our best behavior either.

DISNEYFIX
08-29-2007, 04:48 AM
I just got back from WDW and it was amazing. I went by myself for the first time and I recommend it to anyone. While at the parks I noticed things that made me sick. So please do me a favor.

Never grab your children. I don't care how old they are. I saw so many parents grab their children in rage and begin to yell at them. Don't grab your children by the arm and yell at them because everyone is watching.

Never push your kids into doing the whole park in a day. Kids get tired, especially when it's hot and muggy, so don't push them to their physical limits.

If you have to say "I didn't pay all this money for you to not have fun" then you shouldn't be at WDW in the first place.

And the worst thing that people should never do... if the "Standby" line says 50 minutes, do not complain over and over again after 25 minutes. You know what you were getting into so stop complaining.

All of the issues above I unfortunately witnesses first hand from parents and people at WDW. I ask that everyone do me a favor and never do this stuff again.

Thank you

I agree in principal with what you are trying to say. But you have a lot to learn at the tender age of 21? You will see how easy it is.....

PS.- enjoy your sleep now.

LauraF
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
(I may get flamed for this . . . but I feel the need to speak up.)
Actually I completely agree with the OP - and I don't think from the description this was one incident they witnessed during their trip. I've seen/experienced atrocious behavior in WDW before and it never helps a situation. There is *absolutely* a difference between the tired and cranky parent and the hurtful parent. But no matter what the situation - they're the adult, they should know better and it's their choice to act that way. Period.

Let me add one - for everyone:
Find the fortitude to put other people's behavior out of one's mind and enjoy the trip in spite of some people being jerks.

mouseaddict
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I am on the fence for this one. Every few weeks there is a post about horrible people at Disney. I try to be more lenient with my kids when I am at Disney. But then I become the parent that lets my child behave terribly in the parks. It is a no win situation. People will always judge..but as they say..until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes....
I will however say this..we were in line for Barnstormer a few weeks ago. The wait was only 25 minutes (yes..an eternity in young kids eyes..). A group of people in front of us allowed one of their party (an adult) cut in front..then..are you ready...their son pulled his pants down and peed on the fence! In plain vuiew of everyone in line. Now..I understand not wanting to lose your spot..but that was disgusting. I have stood in line for 45 minutes with my 5 year old and had to leave when we were almost at the front because of a potty emergency. What they allowed their child to do was unsanitary and rude.
I can ignore a lot of bad behavior because I am a parent and have "been there" in a lot of situations..but that was beyond wrong!

magicman
08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
As a personal favor to you, I'll stop doing all those things. I do want you to know that it'll sure take a lot of the enjoyment out of the vacation though.:D

wire0monkey
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, except for this one. I especially agree with not pushing kids to do too much park time. Kids need a break in the middle of the day. 4-5 hours in the morning, followed by swimming or a nap, and 3-4 hours in the evening is plenty of park time for kids. I'd rather see less and have a more relaxed time, no matter how much I paid. The point is to have fun, not to do the "Disney death march."

I don't agree with your point about the arm grabbing and yelling. You don't know what's going on when you see that. The kid could have disappeared 15 times from the parents' view before the parents snapped and started yelling. (You have no idea how scary it is to lose a kid in the crowd at Disney.) The kid could be climbing the very high wall in front of the pyramid in Mexico after being told not to do that. (Mine did. I had to haul him off of there by the neck of his shirt.) The kid could have tried to go under a railing in a line after being told not to do that. (Mine didn't, but I've seen it.) The kid could have pushed down some other kid in a line. (That actually happened to my three year old. A group of six year old triplets ganged up on him and pushed him down in the Dumbo line because he was playing with this puzzle-thingy that was installed on the side of the railing. I WISH their parents had yelled at them for it. Brats.)

Parents know that if we're yelling or the kids are yelling, people are looking at us. It's one of the hazards of being a parent. I've hauled my kid kicking and screaming out of a county fair because he wanted to ride a camel for the 5th time and I was out of ride tickets. (4 camel rides is enough for any three year old.) I've put my kid in a time-out on the side of a street because he kicked his brother in the back seat. (I pulled the car over, parked it, and made him sit on the sidewalk next to the road. I looked like a complete lunatic.) Parents know it's unpleasant for others to watch the family drama, so most of us try to minimize it in public, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

Please give the parents the benefit of the doubt. Please.

r4kids
08-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, except for this one. I especially agree with not pushing kids to do too much park time. Kids need a break in the middle of the day. 4-5 hours in the morning, followed by swimming or a nap, and 3-4 hours in the evening is plenty of park time for kids. I'd rather see less and have a more relaxed time, no matter how much I paid. The point is to have fun, not to do the "Disney death march."

I don't agree with your point about the arm grabbing and yelling. You don't know what's going on when you see that. The kid could have disappeared 15 times from the parents' view before the parents snapped and started yelling. (You have no idea how scary it is to lose a kid in the crowd at Disney.) The kid could be climbing the very high wall in front of the pyramid in Mexico after being told not to do that. (Mine did. I had to haul him off of there by the neck of his shirt.) The kid could have tried to go under a railing in a line after being told not to do that. (Mine didn't, but I've seen it.) The kid could have pushed down some other kid in a line. (That actually happened to my three year old. A group of six year old triplets ganged up on him and pushed him down in the Dumbo line because he was playing with this puzzle-thingy that was installed on the side of the railing. I WISH their parents had yelled at them for it. Brats.)

Parents know that if we're yelling or the kids are yelling, people are looking at us. It's one of the hazards of being a parent. I've hauled my kid kicking and screaming out of a county fair because he wanted to ride a camel for the 5th time and I was out of ride tickets. (4 camel rides is enough for any three year old.) I've put my kid in a time-out on the side of a street because he kicked his brother in the back seat. (I pulled the car over, parked it, and made him sit on the sidewalk next to the road. I looked like a complete lunatic.) Parents know it's unpleasant for others to watch the family drama, so most of us try to minimize it in public, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

This was very nicely worded and I completely agree. As a mom of 4 kids, there are times where I will lose my patience and I don't yell, but I will grab their arm firmly and guide them to a spot where a firm warning will be issued. This is in public of course. Sometimes kids get overwhelmed and excited and will behave in a way they usually would not at home. That can also be frustrating and they need a reminder about the good manners they have learned. Bottom line is until you have become a parent and your children are the most perfectly well behaved kids in the world (HAHA) try not to judge, parents need all the help they can get because every child, situation is different.

#1donaldfan
08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
YEAH.....finally someone speaks out.....I was too chicken to say those things, even though they needed to be said.......you won't see that from me or my DW......our kids are normal and have bad days.....especially when they are hot and tired....we don't push, and as a matter of fact, we're leaving the parks to rest and they want to stay....it's horrible that some people do those things....I can only attribute it to they get this "idea" in their head and if it's not totally as they see it, they get mad/angry/whatever....and unfortunatley the kids have to pay the price......I wish a CM / security would pull them to the side and "let 'em have it"....

alex61821
08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
its nice to know somebody else fights that swimming battle all the time. i tell them everytime that we can swim at the holiday inn at home anytime they want, why would you rather swim at disney when there are so many things that you can only do at disney.

Disney Doll
08-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with the original poster. No situation warrants yelling and physical grabbing. Tone of voice and facial expressions can convey seriousness just as effectively as yelling. Plus, as an adult you are responsible for maintaining control. We cannot always control everything our children do, but we can control how we respond to it.

DisneyCouture
08-29-2007, 02:20 PM

I agree with most of what your saying except this one. Some parents need to grab their kids so they don't run into ppl. My last trip some parents weren't watching their children and one little boy ran ahead into me and slammed into my foot really hard. I had on flipflops and it killed. The parents didn't even seemed phased at all by this and I never even received a "sorry". I know that kids get really excited and tend to just do whatever. I just wished that the parents had kept a closer eye and kept their kid in check.

illini
08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
While I agree that most of these aren't good behavior, I also know that there are sometimes situations that we cannot understand from the outside looking in. I try very hard not to judge people.

As for me, I don't generally notice these things unless it's really, really bad. I'm on vacation and having fun with my family. I'm certainly not going to let someone else's parenting style/discipline problems cut into my good time. I just think that in the majority of situations, the best solution is to worry about yourself and not what everyone else is doing.
:twocents:

RBrooksC
08-29-2007, 02:51 PM
You know, I had a Child Development professor in college who subscribed to that sternly talking only theory. She had some of the worst behaved children I have ever seen.

My dad would grab my arm or use his index finger and thumb on my neck when I was bad in public. I never had a mark but I could feel it. The thought of other people seeing this made me so embarrassed that I did not step out of line the rest of the time we were out doing whatever.

One has to do whatever works for that child. While I don't advocate hitting a child, I have no problem with smacking fingers when don't touch doesn't work. I have no problem yelling when asking sternly is ignored.

I know I would never yell at my child in public because that makes everybody uncomfortable. However, I would do what my dad did and pull my son close to me with my thumb and index finger and whisper in his ear how the situation is going to end. I am pretty sure that he will be happy at that point to toe the line again.

Christine
08-29-2007, 03:01 PM
:drama: Would you like some cheese with your whine:wine:? ;)

:funny:

diznee_buzz
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
YEAH.....finally someone speaks out.....I was too chicken to say those things, even though they needed to be said.......you won't see that from me or my DW......our kids are normal and have bad days.....especially when they are hot and tired....we don't push, and as a matter of fact, we're leaving the parks to rest and they want to stay....it's horrible that some people do those things....I can only attribute it to they get this "idea" in their head and if it's not totally as they see it, they get mad/angry/whatever....and unfortunatley the kids have to pay the price......I wish a CM / security would pull them to the side and "let 'em have it"....

Ummmm....if a CM dared to comment on my parenting choices, I would have to laugh at them and tell them to come talk to me when they become a parent.

While I agree with most of what the OP said, I do not agree with judging parents based on 5 seconds of their behavior in a theme park. I would much rather see a parent grab a child than for me to suffer through waiting in line with a child that is out of control. I have a 3-year old (and a pretty good one at that) that needs grabbing on occasion.:secret:

Samtastic
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I think there's a big difference between steering someone--because they're in their own little world and aren't watching where they're going (which my dbf does to me sometimes) and forcefully grabbing someone, and usually it's evident which touch is which.

I agree it can be frustrating watching some people yell and scream at their 5 year old, screaming WHY DID YOU DO THAT??!?!?!, when the kid replies I don't know, the parent flips out, when in all likelihood, they truly don't know why they did it. I don't enjoy watching parents get physically violent with their children or overreacting. True we're all human, but i believe it's your choice to bring that child into the world, so you better try really hard to be as best a human as you can be.

On the other hand, it bothers so much more when the children are running rampant, getting into trouble or doing stupid/dangerous things, and the parents could care less. I've been in line so many times or walking in the parks and the kids act like a pack of wild dogs-bumping, pushing, climbing screaming. And g-d forbid you say something, parents will flip out on you for telling their kids what to do. If you can't keep (or don't want) to keep an eye on your offsprings, don't have them or don't bring them! As someone who works retail (especially during back to school shopping), I beg you to please watch your children. There is nothing more important (ESPECIALLY NOT HOW YOUR BUTT LOOKS IN THOSE JEANS) than keeping your children safe, healthy, and happy (without spoiling them of course--oh the terrible balance!)

:thedolls:
:End of Rant: :marg:- better.

mrsHerbie53
08-29-2007, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyCouture;1402271] The parents didn't even seemed phased at all by this and I never even received a "sorry". QUOTE]

AAHHHHH!!! Yes!!! The simple but powerful words "I'm sorry!" So many parents themselves need to learn this phrase and when it is appropriate. Then they need to instruct their children how to use it. Even a teenage version "My bad" would be nice to hear when they unintentionally bump into someone.

I always say "common sense" is not all that common and neither is common courtesy. My hope that those of us that have courtesy need to persevere and keep using it. Maybe the others will hear us and remember back to pre-school and say "Yes -- please, thank you, I'm sorry, you go first -- are all good phrases in a civil society".

Samtastic
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
"Yes -- please, thank you, I'm sorry, you go first -- are all good phrases in a civil society".

It's so true. How hard is it to SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU!! And you know what, smile! It doesn't hurt to be friendly!

My dbf and I always gave up our seats on the bus for families for the elderly (We're in our early 20s, young and virile ;) ) You don't know how many times we see teenagers and are like- Young punks!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Prior to having children, I probably would have posted a similar thread. I remember saying "when I have kids I'll never..." I am sorry I can't promise you I would NEVER grab my child's arm, especially if they are in danger. I would like to say I will try really hard not to grab it in anger. However, I am human. I make mistakes, especially raising my children. I do know this ... they love me, they know I love them, they are not abused in any way, and they are very well behaved. As a matter of fact, my 4 yo just walked up and kissed me for "no reason." I just ask ... please don't be too judgemental. :)

DestinationWDW
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I "grabbed" the arm of my 4 year old on our recent trip at Hollywood & Vine at the buffet area when he ran into a woman approaching the buffet. I then told him to apologize to her and that we do not run in restaurants and we "must stay with mommy". He said "Sorry Mam". The lady just stood there staring at me. I apologized to her again and asked her if she was okay. She replied, "Oh yes, I'm just in shock...I've been bumped around all week and you are the first to apologize or ask their child to apologize". She then thanked me. As mentioned, a little kindness, a :), and good manners can go a long way....especially when everyone is tired and sometimes overheated! Just a recent experience we had....Also, we had an EXCELLENT bus driver who would not pull away from MGM until "some magical guests" would give up their seats to guests standing holding sleeping children....he had to ask THREE times!!!!but he stuck to his word, bus did not move until all persons holding sleeping babes were seated! Good for him! :thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Thank you

:clappy: FINALLY, somebody said it!!! I agree 100% EXCEPT the second one. Many children get distracted and sometimes parents need to grab their arm and teach them it's dangerous to walk away. I have no problem with discipline, even in WDW.

KAT1811
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I try to never say never. Especially if I don't know the whole situation...

The cardinal rule of the pre-parenting years!

Kids need a break in the middle of the day. 4-5 hours in the morning, followed by swimming or a nap, and 3-4 hours in the evening is plenty of park time for kids. . .

I don't agree with your point about the arm grabbing and yelling. You don't know what's going on when you see that. The kid could have disappeared 15 times from the parents' view before the parents snapped and started yelling. (You have no idea how scary it is to lose a kid in the crowd at Disney.). . .

Parents know that if we're yelling or the kids are yelling, people are looking at us. It's one of the hazards of being a parent. . . Parents know it's unpleasant for others to watch the family drama, so most of us try to minimize it in public, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

My kids would freak if I took them back to the hotel for a nap or any type of break. We typically lead an active social life at home and we tour commando in WDW and they love it. We take breaks when they look like they need it and the little ones take their naps in the stroller (cooled by battery operated fans) when they need to recharge. Each child is different and what works for one my not work for another.

I'd rather see a parent taking an active parenting role than simply allowing their child to do whatever they want. Nothing worse than sitting in line behind (or anywhere in general) a child that is obscenely misbehaved and their parents seem completly oblivious to it. I realize some people take it too far and are just plain mean but believe it or not usually when we yell we have a reason and it is usually a good one.
As they teach in law school you can't make a case for or against something until you have ALL of the facts. My mother always told me that it is much easier to be a bad parent than it is to be a good one. Sometimes that includes the unpleasant yelling and occasional grab even on vacation.

Tone of voice and facial expressions can convey seriousness just as effectively as yelling. Plus, as an adult you are responsible for maintaining control. We cannot always control everything our children do, but we can control how we respond to it.

:funny: That worked for you? Good for you but as I stated before all children are different and some need a little more than tone of voice and facial expessions. I love the mother or father "totally in control" trying to reason with a 2 year old that is on the floor kicking and screaming.

You know, I had a Child Development professor in college who subscribed to that sternly talking only theory. She had some of the worst behaved children I have ever seen.

:laughing:

One has to do whatever works for that child. While I don't advocate hitting a child, I have no problem with smacking fingers when don't touch doesn't work. I have no problem yelling when asking sternly is ignored.

Wonderfully stated. I've had the unpleasant "bathroom talk" a few times and my oldest DD knows (DD # 2 & 3 are too young yet) that a punishment will be imparted if we reach that point. Usually no TV or something of that nature but the "bathroom time out" usually does the trick.

Ummmm....if a CM dared to comment on my parenting choices, I would have to laugh at them and tell them to come talk to me when they become a parent.

Oh I agree here. Rule #1 NEVER criticize another parent unless you know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Each and every fact and happening that lead up to the situation you are witnessing or you could end up looking like a complete fool. I'd like to think I could laugh such an instance off but I think I'd be a little more upset than that.

r4kids
08-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I think there's a big difference between steering someone--because they're in their own little world and aren't watching where they're going (which my dbf does to me sometimes) and forcefully grabbing someone, and usually it's evident which touch is which.

This is not always as it seems either. Our DD 4 will scream, and I quote "You are breaking my arm, stop, your breaking my arm" Now this is only something she does in public. It turns every head within hearing distance. I am not even holding her wrist with any force. It is a just something special she does to enlighten my life. And god have mercy on the person who attempts to correct my parenting methods.

illini
08-29-2007, 10:57 PM
This is not always as it seems either. Our DD 4 will scream, and I quote "You are breaking my arm, stop, your breaking my arm" Now this is only something she does in public. It turns every head within hearing distance. I am not even holding her wrist with any force. It is a just something special she does to enlighten my life. And god have mercy on the person who attempts to correct my parenting methods.

Oh, no... you have one of those! I'm sorry, but I'm laughing. I know a few kids who do that. Mine never figured that little gem out, but I assure you that you have my sympathies and I'll never question your parenting in that situation.

KAT1811
08-29-2007, 11:12 PM

Got to love em!!! My mother said when I was little she pinched me as silent way of telling me to shut my mouth and I yelled "stop pinching me" I don't think she'll ever forget it!!! LOL! I too got a little laugh from your situation but I do feel for you, how embarassing! I too would feel for the person who butted into my parenting!

katzctkpt
08-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Prior to having children, I probably would have posted a similar thread. I remember saying "when I have kids I'll never..." I am sorry I can't promise you I would NEVER grab my child's arm, especially if they are in danger. I would like to say I will try really hard not to grab it in anger. However, I am human. I make mistakes, especially raising my children. I do know this ... they love me, they know I love them, they are not abused in any way, and they are very well behaved. As a matter of fact, my 4 yo just walked up and kissed me for "no reason." I just ask ... please don't be too judgemental. :)

I too, would have thought this way. After having children life changes as you know it. "Don't judge a book by its cover."

kakn7294
08-30-2007, 07:01 AM
One time when oldest DD was about 2 we were in our local Walmart and she was sitting in the seat of the shopping cart. We were looking at the toys and everything was fine - she wasn't even misbehaving and I certainly wasn't angry at her for any reason. All of a sudden, she threw her arms up over her head and began to yell VERY loudly - "No Mommy, don't beat me!" repeatedly. People came running from all over to see who was beating their child for her to scream like that. I was so shocked I just stood there with my jaw on the floor. Fortunately, when Daddy came over she stopped. And BTW, I don't beat my children so where so got that and what set her off is beyond me.

r4kids
08-30-2007, 09:01 AM
One time when oldest DD was about 2 we were in our local Walmart and she was sitting in the seat of the shopping cart. We were looking at the toys and everything was fine - she wasn't even misbehaving and I certainly wasn't angry at her for any reason. All of a sudden, she threw her arms up over her head and began to yell VERY loudly - "No Mommy, don't beat me!" repeatedly. People came running from all over to see who was beating their child for her to scream like that. I was so shocked I just stood there with my jaw on the floor. Fortunately, when Daddy came over she stopped. And BTW, I don't beat my children so where so got that and what set her off is beyond me.

LOL Oh my gosh, I would have died! Kids are like little sponges and you can never be sure of where they pick things up.

offero
08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
You are absolutely right. I am always amazed to see how some people act in the park.

offero
08-30-2007, 09:22 AM
When I was a kid, about 5 I had just seen mommy dearest on TV. And of course being a kid I had no idea what the movie was about. My mom was in JC Penny's trying on clothes and when she pulled the hanger out of a shirt I thought it would be funny to yell "no mommy don't hit me with that wire hangar again". To this day my family still jokes about how quick she left that store.

SLS-550
08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
:funny: That worked for you? Good for you but as I stated before all children are different and some need a little more than tone of voice and facial expessions. I love the mother or father "totally in control" trying to reason with a 2 year old that is on the floor kicking and screaming.
:funny::fit:
“Anyone ever have to go and cut their own switch? I got sent to the tree so many times it was just a trunk”…Bill Engvall. (Just Kidding)

But I did get disciplined when I was growing up and I discipline my 4yr. old son. My mother makes it a point to tell me all the time “Now you know what I went through with you”:bang:

Each child is different, and I try to never judge someone else, because I don’t know the situation. When I see something like that in public, (which it happens everywhere) I’m just grateful at that time it’s not me in that situation, but believe me I’ve been there.

wire0monkey
08-30-2007, 12:05 PM
My kids would freak if I took them back to the hotel for a nap or any type of break. We typically lead an active social life at home and we tour commando in WDW and they love it. We take breaks when they look like they need it and the little ones take their naps in the stroller (cooled by battery operated fans) when they need to recharge. Each child is different and what works for one my not work for another.

Whatever works for you. :mickey: My kids start getting overwhelmed by all the noise, people, hoopla, and just need something different before it's fun again. They won't take a nap in the stroller in the park because they're just too keyed up by all the stuff that is going on.

I think "whatever works" might be my number one rule for parenting. Every kid is different, even if they're siblings.

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Ahh the little things that get under our skin while on vacation. I am glad to hear you had a good time and I am sorry you had to see such atrocious things. Here are my comments on your post.

1. Are you a parent yourself?
2. If you tell a child several times calmly to do something and they don't how would you suggest getting them to listen?
3. I totally agree with the complaining in line thing this is most annoying if you have a sign posted telling you how long the wait is.
4. If someone is going on vacation are they there to give their kids a break or themselves or both? I agree with the previous comment about pushing the kids in a stroller to help keep them rested. However kids could be so tired because they were up half the night before so excited about going to DW the next day. I remember doing that when I was a kid.
Kids are resiliant (sp?) and will do fine with a little sleep loss. When I spend $50-60 a head for my wife and 3 kids to go to the parks and we have saved all year for this, we are going to see all that we can.
5. The most important part: Pay attention to the Good Times people are having when people watching. It is your choice to see and look for negative. Concentrate on the positive.
That said, if a child was obviously in danger, by all means, step in.

mook3y
08-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Whatever works for you. :mickey: My kids start getting overwhelmed by all the noise, people, hoopla, and just need something different before it's fun again. They won't take a nap in the stroller in the park because they're just too keyed up by all the stuff that is going on.

I think "whatever works" might be my number one rule for parenting. Every kid is different, even if they're siblings.

We have never had an issue
our kids are excited to go back to the resort and go swimming and take naps.

But, we figure that into our planning and is why we stay for 10+ days. We like to feel like we had a vacation when we get home.

But, that might change as our kids get older. They are only 3 and 5 now.

Disney Doll
08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
When I read the original post I keyed in on the words "grabbing in rage". Clearly grabbing in rage and grabbing to save your child from danger or collision are two totally different things. Not sure why so many people feel the need to defend their right to grab. If you are not grabbing "in rage" the OP didn't mean you. Also how do we know that the OP doesn't have children. Just to clarify- I do have children so I guess that somehow makes my view more valid?? I have also worked as an elementary teacher and a foster parent both of which are situations that place me as the adult in control when physical discipline is absolutely not an option. I guess I have had plenty of opportunities to hone my serious looks and tone of voice because they work like a charm for me.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
We tour the world sans children and have never been bothered by family dynamics, unless they are line cutters,rude,etc. Parents know best how to get thru to their own offspring, IMHO.
I would much rather see a parent dealing with the situation, then and there, when the child understands the unacceptable behaviour, rather than having to see the parents ignoring unruly and badly behaving children. Ignoring the behaviour doesn't seem to solve the situation - the munchkin runs rampant and everyone nearby has to put up with it.

wire0monkey
08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
When I read the original post I keyed in on the words "grabbing in rage". Clearly grabbing in rage and grabbing to save your child from danger or collision are two totally different things. Not sure why so many people feel the need to defend their right to grab. If you are not grabbing "in rage" the OP didn't mean you.

It was more the judgment in the statement, than the statement itself.

Plus, the level of volume that qualifies as "screaming in rage," sort of varies from family to family.

My husband's family is very restrained. His folks go in for silent, icy disapproval and silent sulking.

He needed a huge amount of adjusting to get used to my family. My family is huge and opinionated and stubborn and loud. We yell. There's no malice there, or name calling, and it blows over in no time. What seems like "just a discussion" to us, strikes his family as "World War III." We really do try to keep it down around other people, but our furious whispered debates might still strike some people as "World War III."

EmmMOM2
08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
I must admit i have NEVER had a situation ecspecially in WDW when my children would misbehave. But if they did i most certinaly would wait to discipline them when we got back to our room. Public displays of anger upset those around you.

RBrooksC
08-31-2007, 12:11 PM
I must admit i have NEVER had a situation ecspecially in WDW when my children would misbehave. But if they did i most certinaly would wait to discipline them when we got back to our room. Public displays of anger upset those around you.

Just a quick note about discipline at a later time. If a young child misbehaves and a parent waits to discipline, the child may have forgotten the situation that caused the disciplinary action. The only way discipline works is because it is done after the infraction occurs. This is the way the child learns the consequences of their actions.

septembergirl
08-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Remember too, that parents are human and sometimes the heat and humidity that gets to our kids makes us whiny too and we aren't always on our best behavior either.

Well said.

I also agree with the poster that says you will get judged if you go with the lenient approach while in public. DKids will pick up on that right away and will use it to their advantage.:stir: Just because they are little doesn't mean they don't know how to irritate/manipulate etc.

See, it's not always the children who are badly behaved OR the adults who are badly behaved but a combination of both.

Just because we have and dearly love our children doesn't mean we always know exactly the right thing to do. :shrug:

Sadly, I knew so much more about kids before I had them...

r4kids
08-31-2007, 01:39 PM

I would be very careful about using the NEVER word, it typically comes back to bite you in the butt. Before kids I would NEVER drive a minivan or shop at Walmart. Guess what, I now do both! Life is funny :mickey:

kakn7294
08-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Isn't that the truth!!! Having kids makes us stupider (is that a word?). I think they begin to destroy our brain cells at conception and continue to do so throughout our lives. I don't know how they do it.

I would be very careful about using the NEVER word, it typically comes back to bite you in the butt. Before kids I would NEVER drive a minivan or shop at Walmart. Guess what, I now do both! Life is funny :mickey:
I will still NEVER drive a minivan. Some days I wish I had the extra room but ... I will NEVER drive a minivan! I just can't do it.

KAT1811
08-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Just a quick note about discipline at a later time. If a young child misbehaves and a parent waits to discipline, the child may have forgotten the situation that caused the disciplinary action. The only way discipline works is because it is done after the infraction occurs. This is the way the child learns the consequences of their actions.

Absolutly. By the time the consequence occurs, if it is awhile after, the child has long lost the connection to the initial incident. Immediate consequence should be imparted for the child to connect the bad behavior with the discipline.

Isn't that the truth!!! So much easier to say you'd never until you're in the situation. Now I try to say that I'd like to think that I would handle that situation differently. One never knows until it is thrust upon us.

Isn't that the truth!!! I was the queen of saying I'd never drive a minivan. I still haven't made the move but I did seriuosly consider it when I got my last car. DH said I'd hate it if I went from a Jaguar to a minivan (of course it had every conceivable option known to man). In retrospect I guess he was right but I often long for the mobility of a minivan. With three kids it's awful difficult climbing in and out, even in an SUV, even with the three rows!

r4kids
08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh believe me we put it off until child #4 was born. Actually several days after, but in the interest of gas savings, time management( children getting in and out) and comfort, it won. The Toyota Sienna is an amazing van. I am very ashamed to admit I really love it.
As for Walmart, I thank the heavens above Target is coming to Charles Town, WV soon!!!! We are only 45 mins from DC and we are just getting a Target :cloud9:.

tinksmom02
08-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh believe me we put it off until child #4 was born. Actually several days after, but in the interest of gas savings, time management( children getting in and out) and comfort, it won. The Toyota Sienna is an amazing van. I am very ashamed to admit I really love it.
As for Walmart, I thank the heavens above Target is coming to Charles Town, WV soon!!!! We are only 45 mins from DC and we are just getting a Target :cloud9:.

I will never LOL drive a mini-van, but if I did, it would be the Toyota Sienna.

Course, I only have 1 kid, so the 4Runner is just about perfect for us. :)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
I will still NEVER drive a minivan. Some days I wish I had the extra room but ... I will NEVER drive a minivan! I just can't do it.

LOL... My DH had a great brainstorm a few years ago. Let's get rid of our then new Chevy Suburban and get a Honda Odyessy mini van. We were both tired of the payment on the Suburban and the gas of course, was ridiculous. I was thinking a year or two older SUV or a Tahoe or something smaller. No, DH gets the darn van. It was a great van, for what it was..a minivan. Every option under the sun. I hated it as soon as I drove out of the lot and then continued to tell my DH how much I hated it for the 13 months he tried to get me to love it. :sick: Every single day..lol.

What do I drive now?? The GMC Yukon XL I finally talked him into getting when we traded in the minivan. :thumbsup:

He certainly learned his lesson. I will never again let him talk me into anything but a SUV.

septembergirl
09-01-2007, 12:51 PM
What's the deal about a minivan? There are worst things to drive. A brand new Honda Odyssey would be an awesome blessing, IMHO.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 01:40 PM
:)
What's the deal about a minivan? There are worst things to drive. A brand new Honda Odyssey would be an awesome blessing, IMHO.

There are absolutely worse things to drive. I am not trying to insult anyone. It was just not for me. I prefer to drive trucks, it is just me.

I guess that made me sound snobbish. I promise I am not. :blush: You can see that by this...The Honda was brand new at the time, a 2005. I traded it in last Feburary for a 2003 Yukon XL. Minivans are just not for me, just like I can't wear flip flops walking around the parks. ;)

snifflesmcg
09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I dont' like mini-vans, I'm a station wagon girl!!! I've had station wagons starting from the age of 17 when I got my drivers licence. So far, I've had 9 wagons, I'm 28, no kids.
IMO, those Scions are the worst thing to drive. Anybody want a shoebox on wheels?

As far as WalMart, I don't shop there!!! EVER! I find since nothing goes on sale, things are actually cheaper at KMart and Target. You just gotta know where to look.

I was buying SD cards (for my camera) for my trip last night. Circuit City had them for $19.99 for a 2GB while I checked Walmart's price.....$34.88.

SBETigg
09-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't like to judge, but we all judge on occasion, even if it isn't voiced. What bothers me at WDW is that they actually have to say "Please take small children by the hand" or offer reminders for people to watch their own kids, leaving the impression that so many people do not do so automatically. And if you look around, you see that this could be true. There are parents all over WDW who seem to be ignoring their kids, letting bad behavior fly, or just not even noticing.

But the worst thing I saw, by far, was a woman pick her child up out his stroller by one arm and violently slap his face with the threat that "that should shut you up." Of course, the poor little guy only cried harder. So sad!

pixiesmimi
09-01-2007, 02:25 PM
We just got back from WDW last night and I agree about unruly and rude children. We ran into a few but most of the time it was the adults that I would have liked to shake. I have seen adults screaming at the top of their lungs at teenagers and the teenagers screaming back with all kinds of dirty language. I had to wonder what their life is like on a day to day basis. One of the funniest things I heard (been there, done that) was at breakfast when the father said to the little girl "And please (name), be sure and squint and frown in all of our pictures today." I don't know why they do it, but children (even small ones) know just what to do to push your buttons or quietly defy you when out in public. In this heat there are always going to be some short fuses but just some common sense with controlling the children and your own tone of voice makes a big difference. Believe me, we have been with two families and four DGKs and it has not been a picnic all day long and there have definately been some "yelling" and discipline on our part. But like they say, unless the parents are just ignoring the kids, don't judge a book by the cover unless you know the whole story. All in all this trip, I think most of the people around were very well behaved, which is different from previous trips we have made. I saw a lot of parents go out of their way to make the children say "Sorry, excuse me."

septembergirl
09-01-2007, 11:26 PM
In this heat there are always going to be some short fuses but just some common sense with controlling the children and your own tone of voice makes a big difference.

Heat. Exhaustion. Overstimulation. Personality clashes. It seems like it would be impossible for a family to have fun at WDW but somehow we managed to have a great time and suffer withdrawals almost immediately! I can't wait to drive through those "gates" - bad behavior and all.

septembergirl
09-01-2007, 11:30 PM
One of the funniest things I heard (been there, done that) was at breakfast when the father said to the little girl "And please (name), be sure and squint and frown in all of our pictures today."

This is so my middle son for the first 10 years of his life. We actually have a family pic where his has his head down (you can see the top of his red head!) because he refused to pose for the picture! You have to laugh to keep from killin' em.