PDA

View Full Version : Best hotel for location comfort International Drive

benny
08-28-2007, 09:10 PM
I am planning a visit to WDW 16 - 21 December (next year) and then returning Jan 6-20 (doing a cruise and international drive inbetween). (I know it's a long way off but lots to organise as we are travelling from New Zealand).

We stayed at POP January this year and it was awesome. As we will be arriving in December next year the thing I was going to ask about was the best WDW resort for christmas decorations to stay but have read another post which has answered that so my only question now is:

We plan to spend some time staying at International Drive doing some non disney things and wondered if anyone had a suggestion of a good hotel for location and comfort? (we won't be driving and will take advantage of the I-Trolley).

Many thanks for any advice.

Jenny

TammiMcMan
08-28-2007, 11:51 PM
We plan to spend some time staying at International Drive doing some non dinsey things and wondered if anyone had a suggestion of a good hotel for location and comfort? (we won't be driving and will take advantage of the I-Trolley).I'm guessing you mean the I Ride Trolley service. If that's the case, you should check out their website, it has a list of resorts that they do service. It's not on their main line (on the green line instead), but I've heard great things about the Marriott Grande Vista Resort. It's very close to SeaWorld and offers a nature trail, bike riding, golf course, etc. If you want to stay on the main line, I would look into either one of the Marriott Residence Inns or the Hawthorne Suites. Nothing too special, but some extra room in their suites and a very nice complimentary hot breakfast each morning. Any resort you look into, I would just verify with them that they still participate with I Ride Trolley.

NJMan66
08-29-2007, 03:52 PM
wondered if anyone had a suggestion of a good hotel for location and comfort? (we won't be driving and will take advantage of the I-Trolley).

I would stay at the:
Sheraton Vistana Villages, International Drive
12401 International Drive · Orlando, Florida 32821 · United States
Phone: (407) 238-5000
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=5607

I had a 2 bedroom villa and absolutely loved it. Plus the trolley stop is right outside the resort.

benny
08-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Thank you so much for your replies and helpful suggestions for accommodation International Drive with easy access to I-Ride trolley.

I will look into the hotels you have both suggested.

Jenny

TammiMcMan
08-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Sounds like you have a wonderful vacation planned. I sent you a private message with a little more info.

benny
08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Sounds like you have a wonderful vacation planned. I sent you a private message with a little more info.

Thank you so much for this - I will look at the message.

Jenny

Goofygal003
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Go the kiwis! I love New Zealand! I am listening to "The Rock" all the way from Auckland at work right now...
Hope your trip to WDW is as magical as your wonderful country!! Especially good ol' Dunners down in the South Island...:thumbsup:

McGoofy
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, typically we stay on property at Disney, but let me tell you about a recent experience and suggest where NOT to stay. Just a few weeks ago in August we went down to Disney. We knew we were going to be arriving late at night (around midnight) so we didn't want to spend the money on an extra resort night just for a few hours of sleep. So we cashed in some of our Comfort Inn hotel points for a free night. We ended up staying at Quality Inn at International Drive (FL106); 7600 International Dr. , Orlando, FL, US, 32819. Yuck!! It was nasty. The room was old and musty. There were ants crawling around the sink. It just looked like it was stuck in a 1970's hotel time warp. I couldn't wait to get out of there and go check in at French Quarter. So while I can't tell you where to stay, I definitely suggest eliminating this hotel as one of your International Drive choices.

benny
08-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, typically we stay on property at Disney, but let me tell you about a recent experience and suggest where NOT to stay. Just a few weeks ago in August we went down to Disney. We knew we were going to be arriving late at night (around midnight) so we didn't want to spend the money on an extra resort night just for a few hours of sleep. So we cashed in some of our Comfort Inn hotel points for a free night. We ended up staying at Quality Inn at International Drive (FL106); 7600 International Dr. , Orlando, FL, US, 32819. Yuck!! It was nasty. The room was old and musty. There were ants crawling around the sink. It just looked like it was stuck in a 1970's hotel time warp. I couldn't wait to get out of there and go check in at French Quarter. So while I can't tell you where to stay, I definitely suggest eliminating this hotel as one of your International Drive choices.

Thanks for this - I see that you have stayed at both PORiverside and French Quarter. Do you have a preference and why? I'd love to know what you thought of these two resorts.

Jenny

McGoofy
08-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for this - I see that you have stayed at both PORiverside and French Quarter. Do you have a preference and why? I'd love to know what you thought of these two resorts.

Jenny

I love them both. We have stayed at FQ more simply because that is my 9 year old son's favorite swimming pool. However, you are allowed to catch a boat that goes down the river between the 2 resorts and share the swimming pools. The two resorts have very different theming, but otherwise the quality of the rooms are the same. POR has the Southern United States theming with the hotels being themed like southern plantations. French Quarter is themed after the French Quarter in New Orleans, LA. I would be very happy to stay at either one. French Quarter property is a little smaller, so it is easy to get a room that is conveinent to the food court as well as the pool. I think for you the decision would come down to what kind of theme you are interested in. Oh, and another neat thing at this resort is that you can also catch a boat to go down the river to Downtown Disney. You can't do that at any of the other resorts! If you have any specific questions about the 2 resorts, I would be happy to answer them for you!:mickey:

benny
08-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Go the kiwis! I love New Zealand! I am listening to "The Rock" all the way from Auckland at work right now...
Hope your trip to WDW is as magical as your wonderful country!! Especially good ol' Dunners down in the South Island...:thumbsup:

Thanks for your good wishes and I'm pleased you enjoyed New Zealand! It is a great country but I also this USA is a wonderful country too.

Regards
Jenny

benny
08-31-2007, 10:44 PM
I love them both. We have stayed at FQ more simply because that is my 9 year old son's favorite swimming pool. However, you are allowed to catch a boat that goes down the river between the 2 resorts and share the swimming pools. The two resorts have very different theming, but otherwise the quality of the rooms are the same. POR has the Southern United States theming with the hotels being themed like southern plantations. French Quarter is themed after the French Quarter in New Orleans, LA. I would be very happy to stay at either one. French Quarter property is a little smaller, so it is easy to get a room that is conveinent to the food court as well as the pool. I think for you the decision would come down to what kind of theme you are interested in. Oh, and another neat thing at this resort is that you can also catch a boat to go down the river to Downtown Disney. You can't do that at any of the other resorts! If you have any specific questions about the 2 resorts, I would be happy to answer them for you!:mickey:

Ohhh - isn't making a decision on accommodation such a hard decision! Especially when I know we won't be able to get back for some time and want to get it just right - thanks again.

Jenny

McGoofy
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Ohhh - isn't making a decision on accommodation such a hard decision! Especially when I know we won't be able to get back for some time and want to get it just right - thanks again.

Jenny

Just curious...since you will have the privelege of being at WDW so long have you thought about splitting your stay between 2 different Disney resorts? We've done this ourselves when we stayed 10 days once. We wanted to try the Contemporary resort just to see what it was like, but we certainly couldn't afford to stay the entire trip there. On that particular trip, we stayed the first part of it at Coronando Springs and then moved over to the Contemporary. Also, we will sometimes spend our first night on property in a value resort and then move over to a moderate or deluxe for the rest of our stay. Anyway, at the time you will be there, the resorts will be decorated for the Christmas holidays. It would be nice if you could see a couple of different resorts. Splitting your stay would make choosing easier because you could choose both resorts. You would just have to pick when you wanted to stay where because the Christmas decorations will probably be gone when you return in January!

benny
09-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Just curious...since you will have the privelege of being at WDW so long have you thought about splitting your stay between 2 different Disney resorts? We've done this ourselves when we stayed 10 days once. We wanted to try the Contemporary resort just to see what it was like, but we certainly couldn't afford to stay the entire trip there. On that particular trip, we stayed the first part of it at Coronando Springs and then moved over to the Contemporary. Also, we will sometimes spend our first night on property in a value resort and then move over to a moderate or deluxe for the rest of our stay. Anyway, at the time you will be there, the resorts will be decorated for the Christmas holidays. It would be nice if you could see a couple of different resorts. Splitting your stay would make choosing easier because you could choose both resorts. You would just have to pick when you wanted to stay where because the Christmas decorations will probably be gone when you return in January!

We are going to stay at POP for the January time which is our longest visit. The time we visit in December is to see the resorts and the christmas decorations at the parks rather than the rides as we imagine it will be quite busy during that time. The Contemporary is another resort I was wondering about as it seems so easy with the monorail going through. Thanks again for your help.

Jenny