PDA

View Full Version : mnsshp - costume or no

blondeinbrandon
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
This is our first year going to the party. My sons are 7 & 8 and will be Jack Skellington and Peter Pan. Our 12 year old son hasn't made up his mind yet. Question...should Mom and Dad dress or no? Are most adults costumed or would we look silly?
Please let me know. Should we "go for it?":confused:

CanadianWDWFan
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Our boys are dressing up and my DW and myself decided that we would do it as well. Normally I don't go for such things, but hey I'll be in Disney!!!:cloud9:

Lizzie
08-28-2007, 02:52 PM
We went last year. We didn't wear costumes. There were plenty who did and plenty who didn't. I would do what your comfortable with. Were not costume people but loved seeing everyone else dressed up.

Wolf
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Me and my Mom both dressed up last year when we went and had a ball!!! (I'm 20) She was a gypsy and I was a pirate and it was awesome! If we ever get the chance to go back at that time I'll deffinantly be dressing up again! You deffinantly wont be out of place tons of adults were in costume mom never felt weird.

hoop de do
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Rule #1 - Dress up

Rule #2 - Same as rule #1 or go to rule #3

Rule #3 - Dress up

You will have a great time.

:ghost::pumpkin::mpumpkin::bat::blackcat::witch::

brad192
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Even though lots of people do, I don't. I get my "costume fix" from the theater group I'm involved with, & "dress up" at least a half dozen times a year for productions I'm in.:encore: It all seems like too much work after that, especially while I'm in WDW!:mickey:

DDuck66
08-28-2007, 04:29 PM
At the most, we might wear a partial mask. We usually wear the previous years T-shirt. This year we both have special hats, Donald and Daisy Duck. Is it a full costume?? not really but I do not mind as I would probably roast in a full costume. It is funtastic whether you dress up or not.

r4kids
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
I have pink tank top with rhinestones that say Princess and a crown I am wearing. That will be my costume. I think adults who dress up are having just as much fun as the kids. I say go for it! Just choose your costumes wisely, depending on when you go it may still be warm. 23 days!!!! ( I think, my timer isn't working, I am lost with out it)

BugeyedMuggy
08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
My DH & I dressed up as pirates and we had a fantastic time. We are going this Sept 28th and will dress up again. I think dressing up is half the fun. Be young again it is fantasy land after all.

martinfamily5
08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
We went a couple of years ago and our children dressed up, but we did not. I wish that we had. Everyone looked so cute. I did get my face painted and that was fun, but I still wish that we had worn costumes.:pumpkin:

Carol
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I would say it's 50/50 with adults.

I don't bother. It's too dang hot. :)

MasterGracey
08-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Just keep in mind what rides you will or won't be able to ride with your costume. Personally I didn't find it too hot. Here's me and my mother and sister in costume.
Me with a Haunted Mansion maid
http://metro-holographics.com/Images/diggothgirls.jpg
My Mom and Sister with Goofy
http://metro-holographics.com/Images/goofymomaimee.jpg

Disney Doll
08-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm not planing to bother with a full costume because it just seems like too much hassle and I want to be comfortable. I will probably find a Halloween t-shirt to wear so that I'm dressed up a little bit.

dteed
08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
The one time we were able to get there our DS8 at the time was Stitch and DS11 bought a large hat and just wore that. it was fine.

disney323
08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
If your the type that would dress up at home, then go for it. We saw many adults dressed up and not a single person would question it.

pixiegoose
08-29-2007, 09:11 PM
DH(25) and I (23)are going for the first time this year (Sept 21st!) and I am definitely dressing up as Tink. :tink: My friend made the costume for me so that it's ride friendly and I'm on the hunt for smallish wings so they don't get in my way. I think I've just about talked DH in being a pirate. :pirate: I love dressing up and am always looking for excuses to and this is the perfect opportunity!

I can't wait! :mpumpkin:

Vintage Disney
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I think you should dress up if you want to. DH and I aren't planning on dressing up because I don't want to deal with packing costumes and I don't want a costume to get in the way while going on rides. Maybe we will pick up something small to wear at MK. I'm so excited about MNSSHP! :bat::mpumpkin::minnie:

prttynpnk
08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
We aren't big Halloweeners (sp?) at home, but we like to dress up for MNSSHP, it's fun. We try to plan the costume around the temperature, of course.

jpcns50
08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I also was wondering about this, because my fiancee and I might go to MNSSHP during our honeymoon in 17 days :D and I was wondering if I would be out of place by not dressing up. Since we are going for 10 days, I can't pack my costume as well as all the other clothes I need.

Since I'm getting married in a kilt, and I was planning on wearing it one day in the parks anyways, that might be my costume.

If you are at Disney world from September 16th-26th and you see a grown man wearing a kilt, its probably me so say HI!!!

Victor Kelly
08-30-2007, 10:23 PM
When we went in 2001, I did not dress up. But it seemed like everyone despite age and if they had children or not dressed up.

When I go with my girlfriend next year, We will most likely be wearing costumes. Which costumes, I have no clue about though.

mermaidmarian
08-31-2007, 11:29 AM
DS and I just came back from WDW and went to the Pirates and Princess Party twice! (Okay...the first time, it was more like Pirates and Ponchos and we just wanted to have a second chance for a better (weather) night).

We wore costumes and if I had known how much fun it would be to be costumed, I probably would have put more thought into mine. One of my favorite aspects of the private party was that everyone was dressed up in costume. I presume that is a similar appeal for the Halloween party.

If wearing a costume won't make you uncomfortable and if it won't be too much hassle to get it to WDW with you, I say definitely wear "some kind" of a costume.

WTDing
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Going to the party for the first time on Sept 21st. My 4 year old twins are so excited that mom and dad are dressing up too.

We just got the costumes from FedEx yesterday and they were jumping up and down screaming open it and try it on over and over again.

The kids are going to be Gaston (homemade),and little witch; while mom and dad will be dressed as a witch and the Dread Pirate Roberts. Now if we can only get Grnadma to dress up - looks like she's willing to wear orange and black.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
One: Dread Pirate Roberts means your mom should be going as Buttercup. Have fun storming the castle! Think it will work?

Two: I'm wearing costumes, and dressed up for both P&P parties. Both times as pirate as did my roommate who was actually able to fit into a child XL DAWM Minnie Dress and her friend who got a Captain Hook XL boys costume. There was another girl and her friend who had made very excellent replicas of Belle's ballroom gown and the Beast's tuxedo. Did I mention we are all adults? It's a lot of fun to dress up and the characters might give you extra attention. Rides weren't a problem and I was in a full length skirt, with another plaid skirt over it. Pictures are below, if you wanted to see it. I just think it's fun but it's your decision. I will say....I was hot that night, but it had also been about 85 degrees.

Pirate and Princess Party 2007 (http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t70/AzuraFrost/Characters/jack.jpg)

Catwillow
09-02-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm going as Malificient!!! (I'm a 45 yr old KID)

Fantasmic
09-03-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm going as a Zebra!

:cool:

carley
09-03-2007, 07:59 AM
DH(25) and I (23)are going for the first time this year (Sept 21st!) and I am definitely dressing up as Tink. :tink: My friend made the costume for me so that it's ride friendly and I'm on the hunt for smallish wings so they don't get in my way. I think I've just about talked DH in being a pirate. :pirate: I love dressing up and am always looking for excuses to and this is the perfect opportunity!

I can't wait! :mpumpkin:

in canada at the local dollar stores they have kids costumes one of them are little fairy wings... check out your local dollar store for little wings ...they are small and cute ... we will also be their on the 21 of september for the first time...have a great vacation

DisneyDudet
09-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Ours aren't all dressy or anything. Our family has come up with a really creative theme, so that's what we're doing.

I can't tell you what its going to be. You'll either have to come to the Intercot Anniversary Party or wait til after I get back!

Catwillow
09-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm going as a Zebra!

:cool:

that sounds really cool.:mickey:

Fantasmic
09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
that sounds really cool.:mickey:

Thank you, It's only a very simple costume!

I was going to go as Elphaba from wicked, but couldn't be doing with all the green make-up, especially in that heat!

Roger Rabbit 89
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Our DD and DS both dressed up. DW and I bought special Mickey\Minnie ears. DW's were Sequin (spl?) Minnie ears with a red bow, it was like a head band. I bought a Jack Skellington Mickey Mouse Ears hat. It had a Jack face sewn on the front and had black and gray stripes. We had fun dressed like that. I would have worn a costume if I had one. We picked up our hats in DTD.

Michael

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-06-2007, 12:47 AM
:confused: I'm having a debate myself - I want to wear another costume but I need to make it. I am having a hard time deciding between Aurora's Briar Rose dress (the grey one) and Ariel's Outing dress (the one from Kiss the Girl). Either way, I need to purchase a wig and start making the costume. Any ideas on what you think might be more interesting to wear?

I'm leaning towards Ariel myself...

DISNEYFIX
09-06-2007, 05:28 AM
:confused: I'm having a debate myself - I want to wear another costume but I need to make it. I am having a hard time deciding between Aurora's Briar Rose dress (the grey one) and Ariel's Outing dress (the one from Kiss the Girl). Either way, I need to purchase a wig and start making the costume. Any ideas on what you think might be more interesting to wear?

I'm leaning towards Ariel myself...

Women??????????????

Just Kidding.
Mother and daughter will be girl pirates. Dad and son are NY Mets players David Wright and Jose Reyes.
LET'S GO METS.:thumbsup:
It is gonna be friggin hot on the 14th according to the 10 day forecast.:ack:

Here we go again...
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
We are going to our first Halloween party for the Epcot meet. We have not told our DD yet... :D
She is bringing a friend and we are bringing them to get costumes. Thanks for reminding me that they need to be ride friendly. Right now they think they are going to a party with the church youth group... so I know they will look for good clean costumes.
My DH will NOT dress up. I did buy us some Halloween shirts though so we won't feel completely out of place.

TheMartellFamily
09-06-2007, 08:09 AM
In the times we have gone mom and dad have dresses up and at the same time we also have not dressed up. Like last year and the year before we have just worn t- shirts like DW wore a Miss Pacman shirt and DH wore a shirt that had the ghosts and power dots on them so we kind of went as the video game. You can get some pretty cute t-shirts at Wal Mart or Target and do that. The year before that we all had Incredables shirts on. Other times we have not done anything. So what ever you decide is ok we have done everything in reguards to dress up or not.

murphy1
09-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Jessica, I also love Belle's blue village dress, you could even carry around a book!

crltkcagle
09-06-2007, 01:20 PM
We are dressing up! My sons are going to be a ninja, a policeman, and woody and I am going to be a fairy. DH does not want to dress up though :( I can't wait!

Pagan
09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm going on the 21st, dressed as Alice Cooper. Nothing gory about the costume, just all in black with the tophat and the makeup.

You don't think that would be considered "too scary" for the kiddies, do you? :confused:

DisneyDiva20
09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
My sister and I are going this year and we are both dressing up!! I am 20 and she is 27, hey it's the only time of year you can dress up and people can't say anything and plus you are in wonderful Walt Disney World!:mickey::mickey:

carley
09-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm going on the 21st, dressed as Alice Cooper. Nothing gory about the costume, just all in black with the tophat and the makeup.

You don't think that would be considered "too scary" for the kiddies, do you? :confused:

i dont think it would be scarey for the kids... but then im an alice cooper fan

Pagan
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
i dont think it would be scarey for the kids... but then im an alice cooper fan
I didn't think so. I'm not bringing a rubber snake or anything. ;)

BTW, going to see Alice Saturday at the Jones Beach theater opening the show for Heaven & Hell. Can't wait! :D

Dsnygirl
09-07-2007, 04:56 AM
DH and I are going to MNSSHP for the first time this year, and we're dressing up... my DH really isn't the costume type, but since it's Disney, he's looking forward to it! He'll be Jack Sparrow and I'll be Elizabeth Swann (in pirate costume, not a dress...) and we can't wait! I'd say go for it... I've heard nothing but good things about it!

RocknRoller94
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Everyone should dress up at MNSSHP!:pumpkin::ghost:I'm going as Captain of the U.S.S. Galaxy.(Star Trek)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
We've actually decided on a rather large Alice in Wonderland unit so I've been talked into going as the Queen of Hearts (with a flamingo mallet!!).

Also there will be Alice, Tweedles, Mad Hatter and Cheshire Cat with me. So that's what we are going with.

:( I was really wanting to make Ariel's outing dress.

Have fun everyone!!!