PDA

View Full Version : WDW rumors and dreaming

Strmchsr
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Since the last time I posted an update from this source had such great discussion, I'll post the newest one. This guy is pretty reliable, but we all have to remember that nothing if official until Disney announces it. Oh, and I'm going to summarize the points to shorten the length of this post:

WDW moves at a pace of about 18-24 months behind it's older sister in Anaheim... and while not as much is happening in Orlando there is a great deal of activity happening.

There is much planning going on right now and we won't really get to see the results until January of 2008. Over the next three to four years there are plans to dust off some of the theme parks assets and fully use them without adding anymore gaudy(cough, wand, cough...) decorations.

MAGIC KINGDOM...

The original park in Walt Disney World has a few plans prepared for it. There is at least one proposal for a Pixar ride, most likely a "D" ticket attraction that is making it's way through the halls of WDI. There are plans over the next three years to have at least one new "E" ticket ride... possibly two if things go right.
There are plans involving a new parade show as well, but it's in the early phase and won't be seen for some while now. Some Imagineers have been complaining about the general upkeep of certain areas of the park in the hope that Lasseter will make more suggestions to Tom about the overall comparison of quality between Anaheim and Orlando's attractions.

EPCOT...

There are plans in place to have everyones favorite purple dragon make a return engagement. Several proposed plans include bringing back a new version of his old attraction... parts of the old show along with new enhancements have been proposed. Several Imagineers are hoping this plan gets signed off quickly so work can begin.

There is clearly a plan that involves taking Epcot and removing some of the mistakes of the 90's.

The story of Epcot over the next few years is one of renewal more than anything else. There are proposals in the blue sky phase of course. Two prominent ones that WDI are working on are making their way through the process... we can expect to see at least one new E-Ticket by the end of the decade at Epcot, with a modest D-Ticket possible depending on funding next year.

The Canadian pavilion is where some Imagineers want to focus by bringing out the old plans for a Canadian Rockies structure behind it to cover the Soarin' building and add a water ride like DCA's Grizzly River Rampage.

Animal Kingdom...

Sadly, I've heard no rumors of Beastly Kingdom returning. If WDI plans on bringing this dream project for Disney Geeks back, it's being held close to the vest. The good news is there is a proposed attraction being designed for DAK, it's not known yet if it is a D or E-Ticket. Don't expect to see this for at least a couple of years though...

Right around the time that the new night-time show appears. That's right, I said night-time show. But it won't appear before fall 2008/summer 2009.
By 2009, DAK should have a couple new restaurants(one of which is being built now), a night-time water show, the new DAK-DVC units and a new ride either done or in the final stages of construction.

DHS...

Disney's Hollywood Studio, or as it was going to be called literally up until the week before the announcement, Disney-Pixar Studios is the park that has the most in store for it over the next four years. By the beginning of the next decade this park will be the one that looks the most different. Not as much as DCA will look to us in California... but much different than it does today. As far as the question everyone asks about... will the hat go away? There's a growing presence in WDI that would like to see this happen... the higher-ups have made no decision yet. But the talk is going in the right direction.

The decision to go with the new name over the Pixar name has everything to do with focusing the park on movies in particular and Hollywood in general... the Pixar brand, while a gold standard in animation caused too much confusion with visitors and it was decided to avoid this entirely with a different name.

We will see the Pixar area of the park start to have more attractions/activities over the rest of the decade. There are proposals to liven up the area as well as various other sections with a renewed focus on theming. Some of the drab areas will get a much needed spruce-up by 2010.

There are plans in the works for one new E-Ticket, in addition to "Toy Story Mania" and at least another C and D-Ticket by the beginning of the next decade. The focus on Hollywood will be emphasized much more.

The other big news, mentioned here a couple months ago and also bandied about the web lately is the new coziness that the Walt Disney Company has with George Lucas. There will be a big expansion of the Lucas properties. This focus will include Star Wars(Movies), Indiana Jones and the new Clone Wars/Star Wars television shows if Bob Iger has his way. It appears one of Bob's main goals is to bring Lucas back into the fold of Disney. As well as a much more detailed Star Tours ride, new Indiana Jones events to correspond with the new film next year and a few things that will involve Indy later in 2008... Iger is also asking Lucas to help in other areas that don't have to do with Vader or Jones. There is talk that the folks at WDI are excited about getting Lucas' input on another, top-secret E=Ticket... one that is in the early stages and could make its debut at the start of the next decade.

pogo
08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Very interesting, Chris. Thanks for posting it. :D

MizMissy
08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the update. Very interesting stuff!

Roger's #1 Fan
08-28-2007, 01:23 PM
As far as the question everyone asks about... will the hat go away? There's a growing presence in WDI that would like to see this happen... the higher-ups have made no decision yet. But the talk is going in the right direction.

Its been mentioned on another site that construction walls have gone up around the sorcerer's hat at DHS. Can anyone confirm this? Is this the next move now that the wand is gone and the Studio has a new name?

Wells
08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I like all of this! If true, it sounds like Disney is finally going to make an effort to give the parks their own identity as opposed to the “same only different” philosophy of the late 80’s and 90’s.:thumbsup:

LauraSAnne
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Its been mentioned on another site that construction walls have gone up around the sorcerer's hat at DHS. Can anyone confirm this? Is this the next move now that the wand is gone and the Studio has a new name?

I read somewhere else (though I can't recall where now) that all they're doing to the Sorcerer's Hat is updating the LED lighting effects and that the construction walls should be down soon.

kjmom
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Wow! All this sounds great, now let's see what happens

lockedoutlogic
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Very Insightful, authoritative, and interesting....

Did that come from Jim Hill? I would like to know that that isn't the usual kinda of theories from overzealous fans....

Anyway....there are alot of good things in that.....if i were the boss....here's where my priorities would lie....

1. MGM...or whatever it is....
More shows, more rides....and most importantly...an expansion of the park's footprint....the apparent decision to go to a more MK-traditonal "land" concept is the right one....using the nonsense located on the park's perimeter...built for TV and animation that never really got off the ground....
MGM has sat for almost 20 years as a slick Eisner thunk rush job....it's time to set it right

2. AK...pretty much the same as above...only the footprint is correct...they just skimped on the attractions and restaurants....another Eisner thunk rush job. I would also like them to actually add some more animal exhibits...I know they've always stated and aversion to zoos.....but if they were to put Disney touches on some of the more interesting or rarer species...it would do alot for the longterm appeal for the park. Pandas in a disney themed area could really be an amazing hit.

3. EPCOT...showcase side....I know they have had a longterm somewhat confused "plan" to redo the futureworld side. but the problem there is that they haven't fully committed to it and it looks as though they will have to start replacing again before the cycle is complete. Test Track isn't gonna last long...Space isn't going to last too long either (since it keeps picking off paying customers)....and they still have almost useless pavilions in Energy and Life sitting there. Imagination is half destroyed/ half decayed at this point. Exactly how many Honey I shrunk the shows can Disney have? They stopped playing that movie on TBS 10 years ago....
Back to the point. they can continue the future world work....but I would really like to see additions in the vacant spots of the Showcase. The showcase works....it is probably the thing that most keeps non-family-with-young-children travelers coming to WDW. Let's see something new...

4. MK....Really...other than the retrofit of space mountain.....the MK is really fine as it is. They do have to infuse some new kid friendly stuff every now and again....there is room for a significant addition to the former 20K area....adventure land should lose the magic carpets and maybe get a little something new...the Blue Bayoo restaurant would be my suggestion...
But MK is ok....for now.

Just my opinion...

KylesMom
08-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Lots of interesting information here - thanks, Chris! :mickey:

mjstaceyuofm
08-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Since the last time I posted an update from this source had such great discussion, I'll post the newest one. This guy is pretty reliable, but we all have to remember that nothing if official until Disney announces it:
Some Imagineers have been complaining about the general upkeep of certain areas of the park in the hope that Lasseter will make more suggestions to Tom about the overall comparison of quality between Anaheim and Orlando's attractions. It's not known yet if all the tugging on Uncle John's ear will wield early results, but he should be paying more attention to the parks as Tony Baxter and Bob Weiss takes over much of the control of Disneyland/DCA. While he will be active in the planning of the DL Resort it will free up more of his time next year so he can concentrate a little more on Disney's other parks.
Whether inside info is had from Jim Hill or Al Lutz (or whomever), it is very apparent that Disney and “uncle John” are well aware of the debacle that DL had become and that DCA always was. It saddened me to see the recent neglect at WDW while the DLR got an infusion of money and “walt philosophy” with regards to upkeep. When I heard that Tony Baxter was brought on board to keep up DL, my immediate hope was that it would free up some of Lasseter’s time to push for more upkeep of WDW. Let’s hope things go in the right direction.

Very Insightful, authoritative, and interesting....

Did that come from Jim Hill? I would like to know that that isn't the usual kinda of theories from overzealous fans....

Anyway....there are alot of good things in that.....if i were the boss....here's where my priorities would lie....

1. MGM...or whatever it is....
More shows, more rides....and most importantly...an expansion of the park's footprint....the apparent decision to go to a more MK-traditonal "land" concept is the right one....using the nonsense located on the park's perimeter...built for TV and animation that never really got off the ground....
MGM has sat for almost 20 years as a slick Eisner thunk rush job....it's time to set it right

2. AK...pretty much the same as above...only the footprint is correct...they just skimped on the attractions and restaurants....another Eisner thunk rush job. I would also like them to actually add some more animal exhibits...I know they've always stated and aversion to zoos.....but if they were to put Disney touches on some of the more interesting or rarer species...it would do alot for the longterm appeal for the park. Pandas in a disney themed area could really be an amazing hit.

3. EPCOT...showcase side....I know they have had a longterm somewhat confused "plan" to redo the futureworld side. but the problem there is that they haven't fully committed to it and it looks as though they will have to start replacing again before the cycle is complete. Test Track isn't gonna last long...Space isn't going to last too long either (since it keeps picking off paying customers)....and they still have almost useless pavilions in Energy and Life sitting there. Imagination is half destroyed/ half decayed at this point. Exactly how many Honey I shrunk the shows can Disney have? They stopped playing that movie on TBS 10 years ago....
Back to the point. they can continue the future world work....but I would really like to see additions in the vacant spots of the Showcase. The showcase works....it is probably the thing that most keeps non-family-with-young-children travelers coming to WDW. Let's see something new...

4. MK....Really...other than the retrofit of space mountain.....the MK is really fine as it is. They do have to infuse some new kid friendly stuff every now and again....there is room for a significant addition to the former 20K area....adventure land should lose the magic carpets and maybe get a little something new...the Blue Bayoo restaurant would be my suggestion...
But MK is ok....for now.

Just my opinion...I pretty much agree with what you say except for the last point. As a park, the MK has great attractions and atmosphere, but it's upkeep has been woefully inadequate over the past 10 years or so. It's the oldest and needs much more attention. TL has too many gaps in it, the classics (potc, hm, pp, splash, etc.) all need significant updating with digital audio, etc... The rides haven't been kept up the way they should, things need painted, old space needs to be reclaimed, etc.

In general, the whole resort property needs an infusion of "clean" if you know what I mean....

lockedoutlogic
08-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Whether inside info is had from Jim Hill or Al Lutz (or whomever), it is very apparent that Disney and “uncle John” are well aware of the debacle that DL had become and that DCA always was. It saddened me to see the recent neglect at WDW while the DLR got an infusion of money and “walt philosophy” with regards to upkeep. When I heard that Tony Baxter was brought on board to keep up DL, my immediate hope was that it would free up some of Lasseter’s time to push for more upkeep of WDW. Let’s hope things go in the right direction.

I pretty much agree with what you say except for the last point. As a park, the MK has great attractions and atmosphere, but it's upkeep has been woefully inadequate over the past 10 years or so. It's the oldest and needs much more attention. TL has too many gaps in it, the classics (potc, hm, pp, splash, etc.) all need significant updating with digital audio, etc... The rides haven't been kept up the way they should, things need painted, old space needs to be reclaimed, etc.

In general, the whole resort property needs an infusion of "clean" if you know what I mean....

While I agree with the need for maintenance....

I don't believe that need will ever be met sufficiently to satisfy most fan's sense of nostalgia....

The reason that things are not kept as well or unclean is really a direct result of the staffing and workforce movement that Eisner started and they slowly executed in his 20 years....

WDW jobs were once completely coveted...now they are almost a local joke to many. Their payscale has fallen way behind...there "qualifications" are non-existent.....and they gutted everything incentive wise from the employees that would have made them feel needed or special.

Many of it is just the way of the world and a direct result of Orlando's overexpansion....but someday...hopefully...someone will right a definitive comparison of the overall operations and quality of personnel and how it declined in very significant ways.

This problem can not be fixed without sacrificing corporate profits...not acceptable when you are public.....and really would not be possible given the size and continued growth of the region.

Strmchsr
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Very Insightful, authoritative, and interesting....Did that come from Jim Hill? I would like to know that that isn't the usual kinda of theories from overzealous fans....

No. It didn't. I'd be glad to give you the exact link, I just can't post it here per Intercot's TOS.

mjstaceyuofm
08-28-2007, 04:26 PM
While I agree with the need for maintenance....

I don't believe that need will ever be met sufficiently to satisfy most fan's sense of nostalgia....

The reason that things are not kept as well or unclean is really a direct result of the staffing and workforce movement that Eisner started and they slowly executed in his 20 years....

WDW jobs were once completely coveted...now they are almost a local joke to many. Their payscale has fallen way behind...there "qualifications" are non-existent.....and they gutted everything incentive wise from the employees that would have made them feel needed or special.

Many of it is just the way of the world and a direct result of Orlando's overexpansion....but someday...hopefully...someone will right a definitive comparison of the overall operations and quality of personnel and how it declined in very significant ways.

This problem can not be fixed without sacrificing corporate profits...not acceptable when you are public.....and really would not be possible given the size and continued growth of the region.I hear what you are saying. Things are more "complex" than they were 20 - 30 years ago. Things that used to be a right of passage and expected at WDW (like staying in the MK til midnight) are a commodity that need to be purchased (i.e. after hours party with a $45 ticket cost). It truly is sad.

I was just trying to draw the comparison between what DL went through in the Pressler/Harris era with what I've noticed at WDW recently. DL got complacent with things and let a lot of stuff go to draw out their profit margin. Paint peeled, things got old, food carts everywhere.... It backfired on them and attendance dropped. They fix things up and hold a 50th celebration and next thing you know attendance is through the roof.

GrumpyFan
08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks again Chris, Interesting and exciting news. Still no word on Pop Century Legacy, I can't believe John and others haven't mentioned the eyesore of the deserted buildings. They should call that side, Pop Century, the Forgotten Years, or I heard someone else call it the Depression Years.

Jeff G
08-28-2007, 05:39 PM

I love MK and agree completely.

Great read Chris, thanks for posting:thumbsup:.

DisneyorBust
08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Great information Chris! Hopefully, the WDW leadership will take the steps necessary to improve each of the parks. Each park has problems that need to be addressed, from the addition of new attractions (especially Disney Studios) to overall park maintenance.
If I have read correctly, theme park attendance has been rising steadily. I can only hope that with more $$ coming in, that these monies will be re-invested into the parks.

Caroleh
08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the info, Chris!!! I might have to start making more plans!!!

MinnieMommie
08-28-2007, 09:46 PM
What great news to learn about. Thanks Chris and thanks for sharing your insider updates. Now I have to read all this to DH. :mickey:

2Epcot
08-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the information, sounds great. I'm especially happy about the possibilty of the socerers hat leaving the studios, and more Lucas involvement in the parks.

vizsla
08-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Lots of interesting information, hope things go through.

Spaceship Tigger
08-29-2007, 07:34 AM
I don't know. I didn't read the article and get very excited. Starting off by saying that WDW is usually 18-24 months behind Anaheim is pretty bad considering that it is the most popular tourist destination on the planet.

So there's talk of new attractions at the MK. Talk means that anything new will be years away. I don't expect to see anything completely new there for a long time.

The Epcot rumors are decent, but with WoL sitting there rotting I don't get too excited. A better Figment ride would ne nice. But rumors keep pointing to changing the mountains at Canada to block out Soarin' more so than actually adding anything new there. It's been so many years since WS added anything new that I'll believe it when I see it. It took 25 years just to replace O Canada...

AK still needs a couple of middle of the road non-show attractions. And much more help on the food side. I don't think adding a TS and CS complex in one single area of the park was a good idea.

The Studios definitely needs the most help, but so far I'm not too excited about another Toy Story ride and the rumors about a Ratatouille coaster just seem silly. If the Lucas rumors are true it will be great, but the park needs a whole lot more than this.

lockedoutlogic
08-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't know. I didn't read the article and get very excited. Starting off by saying that WDW is usually 18-24 months behind Anaheim is pretty bad considering that it is the most popular tourist destination on the planet.

That's just the problem isn't it? The fact is that people won't stay away. they always do piecemeal improvements to the existing parks because they never seem to suffer from sitting on what they have...the cash keeps pouring in. From what I hear...people basically had an informal almost boycott of California Adventure...and then the wheels started turning. That will never be at WDW...it's too alluring.

So there's talk of new attractions at the MK. Talk means that anything new will be years away. I don't expect to see anything completely new there for a long time.

Again...nothing unusual here. We know it takes usually around 5 years to get a show or ride built by WDI and operational. Their quality and detail are top-notch. Their speed and efficiency are pretty much bottom-notch...

The Epcot rumors are decent, but with WoL sitting there rotting I don't get too excited. A better Figment ride would ne nice. But rumors keep pointing to changing the mountains at Canada to block out Soarin' more so than actually adding anything new there. It's been so many years since WS added anything new that I'll believe it when I see it. It took 25 years just to replace O Canada...

Yeah...they seem pretty content to let the WS showcase be the area that gets the fewest bucks and attention. That may be because of their exhorbinant orignal costs....but I think it's just because it's not a "kid" area and the adults that frequent it are just as likely to keep going as long as the beer and foor keep coming. What's it been? 19 years since Norway? and that was back when EPCOT was still the "newest" park. Sadly, the hopes for new life into the showcase, by far the most unique of any disney theme park area on earth IMHO, will not be fulfilled

AK still needs a couple of middle of the road non-show attractions. And much more help on the food side. I don't think adding a TS and CS complex in one single area of the park was a good idea.

Right on, Tigg....I completely agree. While they probably cut 50% of the original slated attractions out of the park to open it....the real thing that has always made me puzzled about AK is the lack of food. It's almost as though they thought that people didn't come to Disney Parks for the food....which could only mean that they failed to ask a single customer about it until at least 1998....what repeat customers don't go for the food? The offerings in AK have always reminded me more of the stuff at Six Flags Thug Adventure up the road from me more than a Disney Park.

The Studios definitely needs the most help, but so far I'm not too excited about another Toy Story ride and the rumors about a Ratatouille coaster just seem silly. If the Lucas rumors are true it will be great, but the park needs a whole lot more than this.

Agree completely. A completely unfinished park...they bother to build it, staff it, and pay the utility bills...but never seemed to care to make it more than a half day park. Again...it's been there for almost 20 years....I have long thought that this was the highest priority that no one who worked for disney seemed to know about. MGM should be doubled...I'm serious...and that would still make it smaller than EPCOT and MK

chrisb26
08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the update very intresting things sounds like good things for WDW. :thumbsup:

valjane
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Agree completely. A completely unfinished park...they bother to build it, staff it, and pay the utility bills...but never seemed to care to make it more than a half day park. Again...it's been there for almost 20 years....I have long thought that this was the highest priority that no one who worked for disney seemed to know about. MGM should be doubled...I'm serious...and that would still make it smaller than EPCOT and MK

The studios actually felt more complete to me way back when they had a unified theme of being actual studios. They had neat gift shops, backstage tours, shows that detailed the movie-making process, etc.

Things started to slowly change when TV shows and movies were no longer under production at the facilities... they built ToT, closed some of the tours, changed some of the shows, and then it stopped being a studio theme park and started turning into just a park with no real coherent theme. Soon after, RnRC was created, the animation studio essentially closed, residential street was torn down, etc.

Now it's just a hodgepodge and a mishmash of attractions that isn't really defined by anything.

GrumpyFan
08-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Now it's just a hodgepodge and a mishmash of attractions that isn't really defined by anything.

Agreed, it's starting to feel almost "Six Flags(ish)". Hopefully, the changes they're making now and over the next few years will bring it all back to some sort of consistent theme.