PDA

View Full Version : Snoring?? Help!

aurora, ariel, and bell
08-28-2007, 02:12 AM
OK, it is 2am and i am sitting here reading all about Disney. (Well that's not so bad) It may be that I am anxious about our trip to see Mickey on September 4, but I really am blaming my husband's snoring.
Does anyone have a solution for snorers...it's driving me crazy :mad:!

NotaGeek
08-28-2007, 04:30 AM
There is no solution for snoring that can be purchased over the counter. Talk to your husbands doctor, more than likely they will refer him to a sleep study center. He could have a sleeping disorder, real nasal problems or be advised to lose weight as obesity is a normal cause of snoring.

I have an aunt that went through all this and she was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now is required to wear a mask that forces oxygen into her lungs to prevent her from suffocating in her sleep, this also prevents her from snoring. Snoring can be a very serious health issue.

DizneyRox
08-28-2007, 07:08 AM
lose weight as obesity is a normal cause of snoring
BINGO! I'd guess this is the #1 cause, considering all the reports on how fat American's are in the news.

Even just a few pounds can cause it.

conorsmom2000
08-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Talk to your husbands doctor, more than likely they will refer him to a sleep study center. He could have a sleeping disorder, real nasal problems or be advised to lose weight as obesity is a normal cause of snoring.

Michael is right - you really need to tell your husband to see his doctor - snoring can be from any number of things, and it can be very serious. And while obesity is a main cause of snoring, it could be any number of things too. My husband went through a few years of horrible snoring - and at 5' 10" and 165 lbs, weight wasn't the issue. In the end, they think it was allergy related - once he got diagnosed and started getting treatment for his allergies (which he never had as a kid), the snoring stopped.

I too have a friend who turned out to have sleep apnea and has to wear a mask. Seeing a doctor is definitely the first step - not only is his snoring affecting you, but odds are, he's probably not getting the rest he really needs either.

Good luck!! :mickey:

disneydrmr
08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Mine snores too... I usually nudge him and get him to roll over off his back and the snoring stops. We've used the nose strips and they also helped him... his are caused by allergies and such... but like everyone has said.. your dh needs to see his doct to rule out anything serious. Good luck!

ShelbyAD
08-28-2007, 09:10 AM
My DH snores real bad too - he has a deviated (sp?) septum. Since he does snore real bad, and I can't sleep with someone who snores, we have our own rooms. It does feel weird, but it works for us. If we sleep in the same room, neither of us gets any sleep. I don't b/c of him snoring and he doesn't from me pushing, poking, annoying him to stop :laughing:. So this was the solution we came up with. We have tried the nose strips, the Snore-Ez throat spray. Since his septum is the problem, surgery is probably the only solution. It's not worth it (for us).

tink179
08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
My dh as well snored sooo bad. I used to have him roll over all the time!!! It was making it so neither one of us was rested. He did the sleep study thing. He ended up having sleep apnea. Now, he sleeps with a mask (which looks like an aviator mask:) ) He also sounds like:darth: with it on. :D We both sleep much better. Losing weight also helps though. He's recently lost 20lbs. and today is actually going in to get his cpap machine adjusted. He was getting to where he wasn't snoring, but just wasn't sleeping right, so they're going to adjust his number down. His machine helps soo much though. A sleep study may be the answer. Hope this helps. :mickey::mickey:

mook3y
08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Within the last year I had a sleep study done at my wifes insistance. I was prescribed a CPAP machine that stopped my snoring completely. Also felt more rested in the morning.

However, I have dropped a few pounds and have quit snoring 90% less since losing the weight. I am just over 6' and dropped from 215 to 195, but had stopped snoring around 205. So yes, even a little extra weight can cause snoring.

I agree with suggesting he get a sleep study done. There could be more serious things going on.

aprilisis
08-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi there- I can sympathize with you. When my stepfather snores, I can hear him on a different floor of the house (this is with his door closed, too!). He has Sleep Apnea, which is pretty serious. His doctor gave him a machine to wear at night to help him breathe better while sleeping. He does not snore when he uses this & he also feels MUCH more rested. I think it is the same thing that tink179 is talking about. Good luck!

ShelbyAD
08-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I have suggested the machine to my DH, but he won't wear it. He is 6' 1" and only weighs 158, so in his case, it's not the weight.

gueli
08-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Duct Tape
:funny::funny: