PDA

View Full Version : New to disney

almccart
08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
:mickey:
This is my first time going to disney. I was wanting any suggestions that anyone has for me regarding theme parks in their past experience. My husband and I are going is sept. and we are 25 and 29 y/o. No kids are going just us!! We are staying at the disney pop century resort :party:

#1donaldfan
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Act like a kid, even though your not taking any. Ride everything......even rides you think are just for kids....you'll have a blast. Disney is for everyone, young and old, so live it up and don't leave anything out.

GrumpyFan
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
When exactly are you going, and for how long?

You're in the right place. Intercot is the most friendly and helpful site on the Internet for Disney-related information.

Without a specific question, it's kind of hard to give any meaningful tips. However, if I may, I would strongly suggest going ahead and making your dining reservations (ADRs) for any table service restaurants you might want to try. There's plenty of good recommendations on here for which are some of the better ones.

One big first timer "mistake" is trying to see and do it all before you leave. Don't do it! WDW is REALL BIG, and there's too much to see and do in a single trip. So, set in mind a few of the attractions you really want to do, and anything else that you squeeze in is just bonus. But, take your time, enjoy the scenery, take a break every now and then and just relax.

As for Pop Century, we've stayed there multiple times and love it. We'll be there again in 9 days (Sept 6-11) with 14 people! :yay: :woohoo: :joy: :muscles:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Make sure you read about FastPass. Catch all the fireworks/night time shows. Most of all, enjoy yourself.

tundramom
08-27-2007, 09:48 PM
You've found the best resource around:number1::thumbsup: I just sent you a pm with some more info.:mickey:

Lizzie
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
My advice would be to make a list of your must sees and don't worry about doing everything.

I enjoy going early morning when the crowds are low going back for a nap and swim and than staying out late to enjoy all the night shows.

Make sure you stop and look at the surroundings and take plenty of pictures to remember your trip.

jpH/keD
08-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Pick a few character meals w/ your favs. The personal attention will make you feel like a kid again! Only better! Hold hands and enjoy conversations not interrupted by little ones! My DH and I cannot finish a sentence before someone cuts in!! I am jealous of your time alone! Have a BLAST and take EVERY photopass opportunity possible! :cloud9: Have a fun and safe trip!!:mickey:

LoriMistress
08-27-2007, 11:44 PM
If you haven't made any ADRs, I would suggest calling now to make any dining reservations (if there are any left.) Also, arrive at the parks before opening, make sure you take breaks during the middle of the day (even if it's for two hours--makes a huge difference), and use FP to your advantage.

LudwigVonDrake
08-28-2007, 06:08 AM
My main advice to you is to PACE YOURSELF. You will find that you will literally walk miles in a day and at the end of the day, that'll catch up to you. Take your time and have a great trip :tink:

julyjewel
08-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I just went to Disney for the first time a few weeks ago. You really want to prioritize what you want to do. I recommend getting fast passes for things like Test Track & Splash Mountain. I say that, because you might want to ride these more than once. If AK has am extra magic hrs, I would suggest doing that as well. You can go to the safari first and see the animals while they are still out since they were just fed.

Try to see Wishes at least one night and the parade one night. The 11pm parade isn't as crowded. If there are rides you want to do in the evening, I suggest going while there are fireworks going on or around the 9pm parade. You can walk right onto Pirates and other attractions during this time. This is just my experience as a first timer. Hope this helps.:mickey:

martinfamily5
08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
My suggestion is just to relax and renew. Our family has had a very difficult 2 years and we didn't think that it would be possible for us to go this year and over the last weekend we discovered that it will be possible and relaxing and renewing is our plan.

Enjoy your resort and explore others. We always try to explore one new resort each trip. This has led us to staying at different places.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

bleukarma
08-28-2007, 10:08 AM
If there are any restaurants that you think you might want to visit then try to make reservations for them now. If you don’t get a reservation then you can still try to do a walk-up if you want while you are there, but the wait might be long.

Use Fastpasses, especially for rides like Soar’n and Everest.

Try to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, but don’t beat yourself up if you feel like sleeping in.

Try to take afternoon breaks back at the hotel. It really refreshes you and gets you ready to hit the park in the evening.

Catch Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic and Spectromagic.

Don’t get caught up in the MUST DO EVERYTHING mentality. It’s impossible to do everything. Relax and remember that WDW will always be there, you can catch what you didn’t see on the next trip.

Take a bottle of water and refill it at the water fountains instead of spending $3-$4 on a new one.

Have fun!!! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Don't try to see it all in one trip. This gives you a good excuse to plan another trip to see the other things you missed and whatever new comes along after this trip.

Above all else, enjoy yourselves. Have a great time acting like the kids you want to be.

Interact with the characters, get great photos with them. Don't think it's just for kids. My DH and I love the characters. This pix is at O'Hana's breakfast (http://travel.webshots.com/album/560331789VnKtcn?start=396). Make sure you get to do some character meals. Check out the rest of my pictures so you can see some of the nightime shows and other fun things to do. Those shows are a MUST!! Wishes will get you right in the tear ducts. I cry everytime I see it. Even my DH gets emotional. Also Illuminations. Okay, don't forget Fantasmic.

Oh, BTW, you should resort hop and check them out. Go to the Grand Floridian, Poly and Contemporary. They are all on the monorail loop and you can just get off at each one and check them out. You will find some fabulous dining at each one.

Rodders
08-28-2007, 10:58 AM
I think that people have mention the main things but here is my take on it.

Relax, take time and have fun. Don't make yourself feel pressured to do everything. You can't see it all so don't try. Decide on what are "must sees" and fast pass them.

IMO the shows, parades, fireworks and RnR are "must sees". The Fantasmic Dining package is great if they crowds are busy.

We love taking Disney transport. We like to take the boats wherever they go. Even to the parking lot and back again.

There are great restaurants in the parks and the resorts. ADRs are essential.

A moonlight walk around the world showcase is a great romantic evening. Pick up a glass of wine in France and wander round at your own pace :cloud9:

The Rose wine in the fridges at POP is actually quite nice. The souvenir mugs are great value IMO. I'm old enough to know better but I still love coming down the stairs inside the massive rubix cubes at POP.

And once again, relax and have fun :mickey:

Zippy_D_DooDah
08-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Well... first of all, "Welcome Disney Nut In Training." I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip and first time Disney experience. We will be there in September as well (less than 2 weeks to go). This is our first time going during this time of year. I have read here on Intercot that the crowds are usually lower at this time, but we are going to keep the same schedule that we normally keep: in early, out in the afternoon. Some one mentioned that earlier. Since you are staying on Disney property, take full advantage of EMH (Extra Magic Hours).

Also, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but you should pick up a "First Timer" button. I believe you can find one at City Hall just inside the Magic Kingdom. I picked up a birthday button in February and was greeted by name by just about every CM. Just a little extra Disney Magic.

Since you won't have kids, you ought to enjoy some Disney transportation alternatives or non-traditional routes (ie. taking the boat from MGM...er... Disney Hollywood Studios...sorry... to Epcot. This is extremely relaxing). Here's another example if you find yourself looking for an early evening adventure: from any theme park, take a bus to Old Key West; get off at the Hospitality House; head to the dock after a quick stop at the Gurgling Suitcase; and take the boat to Downtown Disney. (FYI: From DTD you can catch a bus back to POP after a long stroll or dinner at the Rainforest Cafe)... Just a few suggestions of some things we like to do.

jenny1976
08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Greetings! And welcome to the best forum ever about the happiest place on Earth!
As a seasoned veteran in WDW trips, and having had my first trip with DH last year all I can tell you is this...
1. ADR's, ADR's, ADR's!!!!! A must, specially for character dinning. DO NOT be discouraged if you cant't get many at the moment. Try calling every day as your trip comes closer and while you are there, there are always cancellations.
2. Take time to take it all in
3. Discuss "must do's" with your sweetie and make a list of the FP's you'll need to get
4. Surprise your significant other with a basket from Disney Florist (many price ranges), Spa treatment or massage, Fireworks cruise or tour.
5. Make the most of your time together, stroll along hand in hand, cuddle on rides (keep it to a cuddle-FAMILY PARK).
6. Take a day to just wing it if your trip allows for it (meaning the time you have), and go to DTD, shop, dine, go to Cirque, hotel hop, or just have a nice meal. Our favorite thing is to take a day or half of it and stay at POP and watch a Disney DVD, order Pizza and go to the pool.
7. BE KIDS!!!, you're pretty young to begin with, my DH & I are 34 & 31 and we have a blast with characters!
8. TAKE TONS OF PICS- there's nothing like the memory of your first trip to WDW as a couple.
9. Get Photopass as well as take your own camera and take every opportunity offered
10. Just enjoy, don't rush!
Hope you have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!

19 days away from the most Magical Place on Earth!

Donald A
08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I would say the dining reservations are important and to think about where you want to eat before you go. Since there are two of you, you might be able to sneak in somewhere to eat but I would make sure you have a confirmed reservation to back it up. (Unless you prefer to do the counter service thing).

Also, don't forget about Downtown Disney. There is a lot to do there. I would at least spend one evening there and you may even want to have dinner there.

MinnieMommie
08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
:welcome: To Intercot and to Disney!

Check out the Dining forum in Intercot. You will find a wealth of information about dining options. Get an idea of where you would like to eat then contact Disney and make your dining reservations asap. Try to see Wishes and the Electric parade in the MK, Illuminations in Epcot and Fantasmic at MGM. These are nighttime viewings (and all amazing) but each park also has a daytime parade if you are interrested. Get a good guidebook and then based on what you want most to see and the number of days you will be in the park make a plan. Check out maps and learn the layout of the parks before you get there. It will help you navigate your way around and can help you save time. Take advantage of the morning and evening extra magic hours that are available to you because you are staying at a Disney resort (if you are a morning person make the morning EMH a priority and plan which park you visit on what day based on that. You will definately be able to get on some of the more popular rides before the crowds start to build). I recommend your purchasing park hopper tickets. Let me send you a pm with more detailed information. :mickey:

rnin02
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
So far, great suggestions! I definitely recommend Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. So much fun...and nice to be able to take a bus "home" so no one has to be the "designated driver".

Take extra shoes!! One year I let my DH talk me into taking just one pair of sneakers...what was I thinking??? My feet were so sore I didn't want to go anywhere, it was awful.

Take advantage of extra magic hours, especially the night time ones...its great to be able to just hop on rides at night with no wait.

Take extra cash, to just "waste" on yourselves. So much fun to go shopping and buy cute little things, or splurge on an extra snack or two, stuff you might not normally do at a regular theme park.

This year, DH and I have decided to keep a journal of sorts for our trip...consider that. We have had 3 great trips before, but have difficulty remembering details, even with the tons and tons of pictures we take.

Take lots and lots of pictures, and buy a Disney scrapbook or photo album.

That's all I got for now!

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-29-2007, 01:21 AM
How long are you going for?
My husband and I are 31/32 and this will be our 4th anniversary and 3rd Disney trip together (no kids). In addition to everyone elses great comments....
First I'm going to emphasis the shoe issue mentioned earlier. Very important. Take differnt kinds - flip flops and tennis. Otherwise your feet will hurt and you'll end up buying some there. Found out first hand.
O'hana's has a great view of Wishes if you can getting in at that time.
EPCOT is our favorite park. We spend a lot of time in the World Showcase. We talk to the people in the different countries and learn about their homeland. If you drink wine, try it at the countries that have it. Some countries have wine flights.
At night walk around the resort. We get off at the stop on the other side of the resort and walk back to our room. If you eat dinner at one of the other resorts take time after you eat to walk around. It's romantic.
Have fun!

gueli
08-29-2007, 01:34 AM
love the suggestions.
one thing to be aware of, although it may not be a problem in sept., during thev day that extra magic hours are at a particular park, that park tends to get more crowded.
leave early/ arrive just before emh.
again pace yourself...
most important...enjoy
:mickey:

katzctkpt
08-30-2007, 01:20 AM
How long you staying? There are a lot of things to see and do. Pace yourself. We've been the last 4 yrs and each time we've gone back there is still stuff we haven't done. 1st off make a list of the rides you want to do. Do those then go to the others. Sept from what I've heard isn't to bad crowd wise so, you may have no problems with long lines. Definately watch the nightly Fantasmic show at MGM. Arrive at the parks before they open go back to resort around 1 to rest then go to dinner around 4-5 and enjoy the evening. Remember Act like a kid and ride Peter pan/ Snow White/ Pooh's Honey Pots ect... it'll take you back to your childhood yrs.

mickey&missy
08-30-2007, 06:55 AM
You've gotten a lot of great advice so far!

I know many of the previous posters said it but I'll say it again. Make advance dining reservations (ADR's)! Especially because September is free dining plan. Go through the dining section on intercot info central or a guide book and pick the places you want to eat and call and reserve!

My biggest piece of advice is have fun!! There is so much to see and do! Try to have a little bit of a game plan before you go. Know what your must see's and do's are.

Happy Planning and have a wonderful trip!

letsdoitagain
08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I would recommed getting there when the park opens and head straight to fantasy land. In early August this year my family was able to do all the rides in fantasy land in 25 minutes. No waits, walked on everything. Everybody tended to be more concerned with running to get fast passes for splash mountain and other attractions that we were able to take advantage of the no wait lines.

We were even able to ride Peter Pan twice without getting off of the ride. We were also able to ride big thunder mountain (walked right on) twice without getting off late in the evening while the 9pm parade was going on.

Oh yeah, don't drink the water. Nasty Fowl un-describable chemical taste. I would only buy bottled drinks in the gift shops because if they put ice in it, your drink will be spoiled from the water taste. Atleast that's my opinion.

jclightchasr
08-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Trying to give some advice you haven't heard already:

When using Fast Pass, used it on rides that are slow moving lines. We get a Fast pass first then immediately proceed to another heavy hitter ride first AM. This knocks out two long lines right off the bat.

Take Ponchos, Refillable Water Bottles, Powdered Drink Mix Pouches, nutritious snacks, and most importantly comfortable shoes.

Table service is normally only a few dollars more than your regular burger and fries and the atmosphere and food is MUCH better.

Put another check for O'hanas restaurant down from me.

Check out the other Hotels if you have a down day and the Disney Marketplace all are free and very cool.

Timeframes:
Magic Kingdom usually takes 2 days to see all the park
Epcot Definately takes 2 days
MGM 1 day or less
AK 1 full day

EmmMOM2
08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Make sure you check out Downtown Disney as theirs always fun stuff going on at night their. Their are tons of dance clubs and bars in pleasure island as well if that is your scene.
I went to a crique du soleil show in DTD and it was incredible.