PDA

View Full Version : Tipping At Resorts ?

goofyfan4466
08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
i don't want to start any trouble. i know how these topics most times go south in a hurry.
my question is , how much do you tip the hotel staff and who do you tip at the resort. i usually handle my own baggage, as all we do is check-in and we find our own room.

thanks in advance.

DizneyRox
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
If you handle your own bags, there's nobody at the resort to tip, except maybe Mousekeeping, but I hear that's a non-tipped position.

Jen C.
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
If we use a bellman, we tip $2-$3 per bag. We tip the valet $3. We tip Mousekeeping $6 per day. That is just us. I'm not saying that we are "the norm". I'm not even sure what "the norm" is!:blush:

goofyfan4466
08-27-2007, 08:42 PM
If we use a bellman, we tip $2-$3 per bag. We tip the valet $3. We tip Mousekeeping $6 per day. That is just us. I'm not saying that we are "the norm". I'm not even sure what "the norm" is!:blush:

is that $6 per person per day or $6 per day ?

Seasonscraps
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
We tip mousekeeping about $3 per day in addition to the bell service person.

#1donaldfan
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Our general rule is 1 dollar, per person, per day for mousekeeping......we are 5 so that's 5 dollars a day.....with that, if something is done extra special, something that makes your day more magical, we tip more......if someone treats you extra special, other than mousekeeping we find a way to tip them....I don't mind tipping, especially if they go the extra mile....and 99.9% of the time they do at Disney.

bjlaac
08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
One other thing about the maid service is they do not share tips. If you are there an extended period of time, you might want to find out who you "normal" maid was and tip accordingly

mttafire
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
We ONLY tip Mousekeeping. Usually 2-3 bucks per day. It seems that the majority of Mousekeepers are "Immigrants" trying to acheive the American Dream.:thumbsup: I wouldnt want to do thier job of cleaning up after folks. I feel they deserve a little extra to help out thier lives. We handle our own bags also so no need to tip bell hops. If our room service is really good we also let the powers to be know that our room was extra clean!:mickey:

DNS
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
We tip $2 per person, each day for hotel maid service. And a couple of dollars a bag for bell service.

jkjs
08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
We tip bell service if we use them $1-2 per bag. We always tip Mousekeeping @ a rate of $5/day if it only the two of us we add $1 for each additional person. I take envelopes with me and tip daily as there may be more than one person providing the service. If we are there over a major holiday like Christmas I take a holiday card and put a little extra in it. This is just my preference.:thumbsup:

Lightnin McQueen
09-10-2007, 05:10 AM
We stayed at AKL last year and tipped mouse keeping $5 a day, there are 3 of us.

Who can say if it was anything to do with the tip or the little notes my son was leaving for mouse keeping but we had 5 fabulous towel animals

Also after an epic day at the parks we returned one day to our room to find the TV swithced on, my wife and I looked at eachother and agreed that we hadn't left it on!! As we walked further inot the room we noticed my sons Mickey Mouse soft toy sat on the end of our bed with the remote in his hand!! Mickey had got up, switched on TV and was watching cartoons! :tink:

Magic!

mermaidmarian
09-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Also after an epic day at the parks we returned one day to our room to find the TV swithced on, my wife and I looked at eachother and agreed that we hadn't left it on!! As we walked further inot the room we noticed my sons Mickey Mouse soft toy sat on the end of our bed with the remote in his hand!! Mickey had got up, switched on TV and was watching cartoons! :tink:

Magic!

Indeed! We had a great experience with Mousekeeping Extras this past trip at PORiverside. One afternoon we came home to DS's stuffed animals arranged on a towel waterslide on the bed - they had made some new towel animal friends along the way; another afternoon they were kicking back watching resort tv with the remote nearby; one other afternoon we must have just caught them in mid-party - they were hanging in hammocks or with the Pirates and Princesses party booty necklaces from the shades - of course, as still as statues with totally innocent expressions on their little faces.

Princess'Mom
09-10-2007, 09:03 AM
We tip $5/day for Mousekeeping for the 3 of us. When we use Bell Services we tip a $1/bag.

My DD and I create special Mousekeeping envelopes at home. During our stay, each morning, DD picks out the envelope and places it for Mousekeeping. Every afternoon, she is so excited to see if there is a towel animal in the room. So far, we have never been disappointed. Some days, her stuffed animals are playing with the towel animals and other days she received a new towel friend. We have only stayed at WL, so I can't speak for the other resorts, but some serious Magic occurs there!:mickey:

ncscgirl2005
09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I pre-stuff customized Disney envelopes for mousekeeping before leaving home so that I am certain i have money for a tip. I leave one out each day. There are 4 of us so we leave $1 per person which is $4.

09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
For the two of us, we left mousekeeping $3 per day plus one of the new gold dollar coins for a little extra special touch.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-11-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm just curious. Since you tip housekeeping does anyone know how they get paid or if they claim their tips? I know how waiting tables works because I used to do this. I always leave 20% because I know they HAVE TO claim it and pay out other people. But how does house keeping work? Does anyone know?

TammiMcMan
09-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Since you tip housekeeping does anyone know how they get paid or if they claim their tips?In terms of position type, housekeeping would fall under the same general guidelines as hairdressers, car service, spa employee, bartenders etc. Basically, they're all considered non-tipped positions. Meaning that tips aren't expected, so their hourly rate wouldn't necessarily be adjusted like a waiter or waitress. It's not uncommon for them to receive tips for good service though. It's that employees responsibility to report any tips over $20 in a single month to their employer and as earned income when they fill out their tax returns.

mickey&missy
09-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Magic!

LOL! We got something like that everyday AKL! It was spectular! We found DD and DS stuffed animals sitting looking out onto the savannah, tucked snuggly into bed, playing with their toys, etc

We normally leave $5 for our party of 4. But, we had one mousekeeper at WL last time who was super and super nice. We had to make a trip back to the room while she was there. I gave her a little extra.

We normally tip the bellmen $2 a bag.

SurferStitch
09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
We tip Mousekeeping $5 per day for the two of us. We tip $1 per bag (sometimes $2 for bigger suitcases).

I print special envelopes for Mousekeeping before we leave home. Last December all of mine had a Disney Christmas theme. I'll probably do the same this year, but a lot more Lilo and Stitch since we'll be at the Poly.

Mnchknbrat1982
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
My thoughts on this is if your not a very messy person then I don't tip a whole lot. Since the dbf and I aren't very messy I only tip a $1 per person= $2 a day.

tony2979
09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
We tipped 5 bucks a day for four of us. The bags werent a issue since we never saw them after checking them at the airport until we got to the room.

No complaints about tipping at Disney. We just went to Vegas for 4 nights and you couldn't turn around without tipping someone for something. Disney is MUCH better and almost always MUCH more deserving of a tip.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
09-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Is there a site where you can print up some of these Mickey "thank you" cards? I have heard several people talk about them. I would like to do something nicer than the plain "thank you."

J.T.Toad
09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
The last time I replied to a tipping post I was heavily flamed, Barbequed, and Well Done I might add. It’s been awhile and I am due for another. So here it goes and if you must flame me, I can handle it. I can handle the truth.

I am a heavy tipper, especially when it comes to the Disney CMs .Keep in mind their starting pay is something around $5.50 an hour.
Here in California you couldn’t get your neighbor’s son to mow your lawn for less than $15.00 an hour.

That said I also believe that you get what you pay for and the attitude you present.

We are now members of dvc and we don’t receive housekeeping on a daily basis. So my tipping is different from when we used to stay at a Disney Resort Hotel.

As a family of four and the only male in the bunch I am a light packer. My DW and two DD on the other hand are heavy packers. They have three of the largest suitcases know to man and three roll-ons. Me one roll on.

Sky Cap $ 10.00
Bell Hop $ 10.00

Once at the room I tip house keeping $ 20.00 the first night. That pays for tip that she probably didn’t get from the previous guest that stiffed her on the last day of their visit.
Then on I tip $ 10.00 per night and I never forget to tip the last night. I also make a point to treat every CM with respect and greet every CM every time I see them with an Aloha. Here in California it would be Hey Dude. By the end of my visit we have made quite a number of new friends, but that’s another post.
JT

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I am a heavy tipper, especially when it comes to the Disney CMs .Keep in mind their starting pay is something around $5.50 an hour.

Minimum wage in Florida is $6.67. But AMEN to you. I personally wouldn't do $10-20, but it's good to know that there are some people who aren't afraid to part with their money for the sakes of other. I myself am a poor college child (and before getting one single comment - I am 150% independant....parents don't send me lint from couch) but even I appreciate that there are others in worse positions than me, others with families to support, working 2 jobs (which I also do but just myself to support) and I tip high. So JT, bless you and keep up your good heart. It doesn't go unnoticed and trust me, you are probably making that Mousekeeper's day, if not week.