PDA

View Full Version : French Quarter stories

Jenemmy
08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I am SO excited!!!! I just booked this morning for Port Orleans French Quarter!! I have never even been on property of PO --- fill my head with all things POFQ! Tell me everything and leave out no details :mickey::listen:

jennsky
08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, I only spent one night there back in April but I was really impressed. We ended up in a 2nd floor corner room where we had a view on one side of the river. How awesome! Back to the room first...we had a king size bed and a pack'n'play for our DD. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fridge in our room (I didn't realize there would be one). I liked how there was a curtain you could pull across to seperate the bedroom from the sinks....it kind of made it like a seperate dressing area. The room was really nice. Back to the river, it was nice seeing the boats go by on their way to (or from...not sure) Downtown Disney. The pool was really neat although we didn't get a chance to swim because we were too worn out. The entire resort was nice and compact and made taking a stroll around easy to do. I totally felt like I was in Louisiana! The main building was great too...well decorated....and the food court had everything we wanted. As usual, all the staff we came across were very friendly and gave my little girl a button in honour of her first Disney vacation and TONS of Mickey Mouse stickers. We took the time to walk over to Port Orleans Riverside, which was nice too, but much more spread out. I was glad we were in the French Quarter. Unfortunately because I was only there one night before moving to the Fort Wilderness Cabins, I didn't get a chance to see how the bus service was. Overall, definitely a good time was had by all. :thumbsup:

sgdisney
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Just got back from 6 nights at POFQ and have stayed there two prior trips too. After my first stay, it quickly became my favorite moderate. The resort is much smaller than all the other mods and the grounds are quite beautiful. I enjoyed just walking around the resort, especially early in the morning. The rooms are nicely appointed, ours had two full size comfortable beds. And yes, that curtain between the sink area and the rest of the room is a great addition to all the moderates, especially when traveling with teens! We never had to wait for any bus for very long. Some of the buses share service with POR, but the first stop is the one at POFQ, so you will always get a seat going. The boats run between POFQ, POR and downtown Disney, and this makes for a pleasant trip to DD. It goes past the old treehouses and is a short, but pleasant trip, also providing great views of Saratoga Springs. Just writing this makes me want to go back!

techgeek
08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Walking down the entry you pass under ornimental iron cover twinkling with white lights. Then stepping into the resort you see this fab pool, then you slowly notice the finely detailed streets leading to the brightly colored buildings. Past the building you walk to the river and see Disney's nature at it's best. As you walk to the food court for a benniot (I can't spell) you see a rabbit quickly hopping away. Then, all of sudden you notice these little salimanders running in all directions. After your coffee and snack you settle into a nicely appointed room flip on the Disney cable and get a little rest before exploding to the bus stop.

10 days and counting down, thanks for dreamin' with me.

tinksmom02
08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't have any stories yet, but I know I'll have some great memories after our trip in September!

We stayed at POR last trip, but visited FQ, and liked the coziness of it. I'm pretty confident that it'll be our new favorite!

brewcrew26
08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I've stayed at both POFQ and POR. I have to say that POFQ is the more charming of the two, even though I still love POR.

FQ, as people have mentioned in earlier posts, is a lot more compact and quiet. The main building is very quaint. The food court is decorated in bright colored masks ala Mardi Gras. I remember as a kid I had this unhealthy fear that they would fall on me as I was eating a beignet.

Oh, and the beignets! They're fab! Definitely a must-try when you stay. The pizza delivery is really good plus I've always loved their sub sandwiches. It was the first place that served a sub with Italian dressing and got me hooked!

The rooms are nicely sized. We stayed in a garden view, so there were really pretty flowers outside of our window. While the parking lot was right there, we didn't really notice. It's also a really short walk to the main building and the pool from all over.

The pool is great, too! There's a fun slide in the shape of a dragon. Then, you can take a short walk over to POR on the trail or rent a paddle boat for the river or a bicycle.

Although, I do miss the sit-down restaurant that they used to have. I highly recommend it to couples or families! :mickey:

GINNY69
08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
My family and I stayed at POFQ this past May and it was absolutely beautiful. We somehow lucked out and had a room on the first floor and we were a hop,skip,and jump to the pool and a 3 second walk to the cafe. Everything is in such close proximity and we loved taking a walk around the grounds, it made you feel like you were in Louisiana. We also took the boat ride to DTD and to POR , it was a nice boatride and quite relaxing. We also a walk to POR along the river and that was very nice it was so quiet and seeing the resort lit up at night is really nice too. Each building has there own Street name which I thought was quite quaint. The food court was good no complaints there, there was never a line to get your food and to got the cashier. The Beinget are must have they are so good, we got them a few times when we were there and the chocolate chip cookies are really yummy there as well.. The buses we were pretty good .. I think we only had to wait for the MK bus, which I think we waited at least 25 minutes for but that only happened on 1 occasion, the buses pick up at POFQ first so you always get a seat. I guess the only drawback is having the bus go pick up at the Riverside resort, they have about 5 or 6 stops there and that can be a drag.. but if your bus is full at POFQ they go straigt the park..

But on a scale of 1 to 10 I give POFQ a 10 ++++

Have a Magical Day !!!

offero
08-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I can relate to your excitement. Last November was my first stay at POFQ. To sum it up I was amazed. My wife's fam has stayed there every trip this was my first stay, but I had never been.

From when you first enter the lobby to when you walk into the courtyard the detail and architecture are awesome. It also helps that there is themed jazz music playing in the background, and the CM's outfits are cool too.

Beside the rooms that some have touched on, there are boats that can take you to Downtown Disney, horse drawn Carriage rides at night (book early), and down in riverside there are place to fish if I remember correctly. The hotel is set beside a "river" with a walking path that is great for a morning stroll with hot coco.

If you have the opportunity catch Elliot Dyson in the lobby after hours. He is very entertaining and if you decide to spend an evening just hanging around he is well worth listening too. The bus ride to the parks seems long, but it could be because I was so excited.

All I can say is that I am sold to return there from now on. I hope that you have a lot of fun.

kakn7294
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Let me start off saying that prior to Dec 1, 2006, I really didn't want to stay here because the Mardi Gras theme didn't appeal to me in the least. However, after we checked in on Dec 2, I fell in love with POFQ. Except for the food court and a jester statue outside of the pool, the Mardi Gras theme really isn't prevalent - the gators are cute. The rooms look just a bit worn - nothing I can't over look but are comfortable and quite adequate. The buildings are so pretty and it really looks like a quaint little town with the brick streets with curbs, the postlamps and street signs, the varied and beautiful gardens with their own unique details, and with how building details such as color and the railings change every few rooms making it look like separate buildings. The gift shop is surprisingly large and the food court has some selections that are unique and themed to New Orleans. The pool is great - my girls loved the slide - and the hot tub is secluded from the pool, making it a nice retreat for adults. We didn't use the laundry facilities but they are convenient to most areas of the resort. I thought the bus service was pretty good - it would be better without the stops in Riverside, but the resort seems fairly central in it's proximity to the parks. Overall, it's a nice, quiet but family-friendly resort. We've stayed here twice now in the past year and it's on the top of our list for places to stay in 2008.

Jenemmy
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I am SO excited to experience POFQ!! Too bad I have to wait until January -- LOL

garymacd
09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
One word - beignets!:cloud9:

christy78
09-01-2007, 12:41 AM
After we finally got a room that didn't have someone elses luggage in it we really liked it to. It's very nice and quiet and small enough that your never to far from the bus stop. I was unhappy at first because of dragging our luggage to a room on the second floor then finding someone elses stuff was in it so we had to drag it back to the car and go back to the front desk. that room was in building seven the new room we got was in building two which I liked a lot better because it was so close to the food court. There was never a lot of noise there which I also really liked.