PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at a Buffet?

SignguyTom
08-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I am confused on what is expected as far as tipping at the buffet restaurants. Is 18% expected (or automatically added to parties of 6+) even though the only personal service is a drink re-fill here & there? Or is it generally less than that? I'm not a cheapskate, just confused on the protocol and want to get it right. :blush:

gardenia
08-27-2007, 02:02 PM
The only buffet I frequent is Boma, and I've found the service there to be much more than drink refills. The server spends a lot of time clearing plates, explaining food and wine selections, filling drinks, and bringing birthday treats (on my son's birthday). I find that service to be worthy of 18% - 20% tip any day, so that's what I add on to the bill.

MMouse6937
08-27-2007, 02:14 PM
We are on the dining plan this year so the tip is still included, but when we were there two years ago it was the same situation but we did leave some more money on all the tables where we ate, even the buffets. The poor girl at Ohana's was going crazy because they had just changed the menu on them like the night before. We gave her a big tip just for her trouble. Have fun! :)

BrerStitch
08-27-2007, 02:21 PM
We have always been on the dining plan where the tip is included, of course all that is changing next year. I think it would depend on the service and what was involved. Merely taking away places and refilling drinks isn't worth 18% to me. That's more like 10- 15%.

If you're going to spend a little more time with me and explain wine etc, like someone else said, than perhaps. Next year will be interesting.

DDuck66
08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
As we often have special requests, I usually tip between 15% to 20% at the buffetts. These people work just as hard (sometimes) than those at the other TS eateries.

Jasper
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I really don't know what the protocol is but I can tell you that we leave different amounts at different buffets. The reason for different amounts is what the server has to do at each buffet. And before you go thinking that all buffet service is created equal I can tell you that it is most certainly not!! There can be huge differences in what a server is required to do at each buffet. Plus, once you get past what is required at each buffet you then get into the same issue as any other restaurant as to what the server actually puts into their service. We leave anywhere between 0 and 20% at a buffet.

And for those of you who question why we would give 0, had you been present at the times we did not leave anything I think you would understand why.

dolphinmickey9170
08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
And for those of you who question why we would give 0, had you been present at the times we did not leave anything I think you would understand why.

Bad service, huh?

Jen C.
08-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I am personally not a fan of "buffet style" dining (I'm ALWAYS in back of "That guy"), but I do frequent them on our WDW trips. I can't advise on protocol in other buffets, but there, I aways tip my standard 20%.

Kairi_7378
08-28-2007, 06:44 AM
I think that standard etiquette says that the minimum tip for a buffet style restaurant is 10%. I'm sure that others tip more at buffets with exceptional service.

CleveSJM
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I think that standard etiquette says that the minimum tip for a buffet style restaurant is 10%. I'm sure that others tip more at buffets with exceptional service.

I agree. 10% base and increase with the quality and amount of individual attention given, usually adding up to 15-20% at WDW buffets.

princessesmom
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
The last time we were at WDW there were 8 of us. We ate at several buffets and an 18% tip was included in all cases. I believe this practice applies to parties of 6 or more, though I could look at the check each time to be sure.