PDA

View Full Version : DCL Bus or Limo Service?

Tinkermom
08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
We are taking our first cruise (7 night Western) in Feb. '08. This is a surprise for our 3 kids. :secret: We are staying in WDW for 4 nights prior to the cruise. DH and I are trying to decide whether we should take a DCL bus from WDW to the port or get a shuttle (Happy Limo maybe?). Is there just one time for pick-up at WDW for the DCL busses? We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (we are DVC members). Would Animal Kingdom (park) be where we would be picked up by DCL? How do they get our luggage if we get picked up at the park? I have also read that they do pick up at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I am so confused! :confused: LOL! What time do you get to the port if you take a DCL bus?

I keep reading a lot about how nice it is to get to the port early. We thought it would be cool to ride in a DCL bus since, for years, we have talked about "someday maybe we will ride in one of those".:cloud9: However, I really think it would be fun to have some time to walk around at the port and have time to explore the ship before we set sail. I guess I am assuming that we could get there earlier if we get a shuttle rather than a DCL bus.

Also, if we do take a shuttle to the port can we still take a DCL bus after the cruise from the port to the airport?

Thanks for any info and any thoughts you may have to help us with our decision!

ElenitaB
08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Lisa, if you are a DVC member, they will pick you up at whatever DVC resort you are staying out, so no worries there.

And just to help you with your conundrum ;) , yes, you can book one-way DCL transportation.

We took the DCL bus both ways last year (went to port from VWL and then returned to OKW). I had no problems arriving to port a bit later (we got there around 1:00, I think). We had a relatively short line for check-in and then walked right onto the ship, had lunch at a very uncrowded Parrot Cay and went directly to our room which was ready by then. I do enough "rush to wait" in real life, to not want to do it on vacation too.

angedeaile
08-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Personally, I would go with the limo/towncar.

I think the big reason is it is nice to be able to pick up provisions along the way. I plan on picking up some water bottles and ginger snaps along our way. I know those are two things I will definitely need on the cruise.

Another reason is one you pointed out. It would be nice to get to port early. I have heard folks say that when they take the DCL bus, it leaves a little late. So most folks are already on the ship. Some people have said that can be abit frustrating. Especially if you want to schedule a spa treatment, a palo ressie or an excursion when you get on board, because you couldn't get one online before hand. I know alot of first time cruisers complain of that issue.

Also, I don't know how you are with saving money, but DCL can sure add up. Round trip is about 69 and a one way is about 30 bucks. This is per person mind you. In some cases, it is just cheaper to get a towncar from happy limo for around 100 bucks.

Although, I do have to list one positive for the DCL bus and that is it really enhances the fact....you are going on a Disney Cruise! If you have little ones, this will really get them excited and you can't forget the on board movie to entertain them. Although, if you have older kids, they might be more excited to travel in a limo....

So over all, I think it all depends on what you want and you think the kids would enjoy.

If for ease and the total Disney experience, DCL bus.
For relaxation and feeling pampered, limo or towncar.

Sorry I can't provide any input towards a non-DCL shuttle. I haven't seen many postings about folks that have used them in the past, so I don't know too much about prices, pick up times and such.

mrp4352
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Actually, with many of the reserviations being made on-line now it's not as necessary to be at the port early.

My personal feeling is that for a first-time Disney cruise, it's worth the extra money to have the DCL bus video with that moment that makes me cry happy tears. However, once you've done that once, it becomes a 'which will cost less' question in my book.

Have a wonderful cruise!