PDA

View Full Version : Campsite question

offero
08-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I have some family members who are thinking about camping, just to see what it is like, but are not exactly sure since they have always stayed at POR. I know I could probably call or look this information up, but i figured there are some experts here who will give me better/honest answers.

What is camping like at WDW.
1. Are the tents placed close together or apart for privacy?
2. What kinds of activities are at the campsites, are they worth it?
3. What kind of food is around there, do they allow you to cook your own?
4. Are the facilities clean?
etc...

Tygger7
08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Most all of my early visits to WDW were staying at the Ft. Wilderness campground. I'll do my best to help with your questions:

1. I'm assuming you'd be bringing your own camping equipment. The sites are very private and not right on top of each other. You can look at the campground map out on Info Central to get a better idea, but campsites are cut into the woods kinda like a wagon wheel pattern.

2. There are TONS of things to do at the campground...horseback riding, swimming, campfires with Chip & Dale, etc. There are also several playgrounds scattered throughout. Again, you can find out more info on Info Central.

3. Food - You can cook over the fire at your campsite, or bring food with you. You can also eat at Trails End, which is fantastic and close to the boat docks.

4. The facilities are the best I've ever seen at a campground. Everything is very clean and well maintained, like everything else at WDW.

In summary, it's a really fun place to stay. Only thing to keep in mind is the time of year you visit. Remember, it's Florida...and you'd be miserable in the summer in a tent without air conditioning.

Hope this helps!!

ibrowse17
08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
The sites are well spaced from each other, and does offer some privacy. FW might offer the most activies of any resort, so find some time and make use of them. We always plan at least one day off to enjoy FW. Trail's End could also be the best kept secret at Disney, and we really enjoy it for meals. The comfort stations are kept very clean, so no worries there either. Plan a stay there, and have a great time.:thumbsup:

jennsky
10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I totally agree with the other responses. Just a couple extra things...

If you're more of a "car camper" like me, bring a toaster to plug into the outlet at your campsite. You can make toast for breakfast! We even used the power to run our Koolatron which we used as our refrigerator.

Totally make reservations if you go to Trails End Buffet. The food there is AMAZING!! Very yummy! The only downside is that you can wait forever to get in, so if you're able to, get a priority seating time before you go.

Plan on spending at least one entire day enjoying Fort Wilderness. It's truly a world unto its' own. If you really want, rent a golf cart to cruise around the place...totally fun!!

medic9016
10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree with the others. FW seems more laid back than the other resorts. I think it is because you are not right on top of your neighbor and people just like to hang out at their RV. Every one there is so friendly. The comfort station are kept clean and stocked. We have tent camped then moved up to a 19 ft pop-up and now our next trip will be in our new 28 ft travel trailer. We think trails end is the best kept secret :secret:in Disney.