PDA

View Full Version : For those who went on Tower of Terror...

angedeaile
08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I need your input!

I have been planning out what possible attractions we want to do, mainly hitting ones that we weren't able to do on our last trip.

Since it is us grownups, I am getting pressured into trying a few "scary" attractions. One of those that I can't seem to get use to the idea of riding is the Tower of Terror.

I went on youtube and watched a few videos to see how bad it would be. The lighting isn't the greatest inside the shaft, so I can't get a good idea at the distance you drop on any of the videos.

SO I thought I would ask here.

1) When you went on it, how many times did you drop? You can estimate if you don't recall.

I know that drop amounts are randomly picked for every group, so the numbers vary, but it is nice to see actual numbers...like if anyone has only had two drops or if someone has had more than five.

2) When you did drop, about how far down were each of them?

Like, when you dropped was the first drop two floors, then another two floors and then brought back up and dropped the whole way down?

I can take a lot of "lil" drops, but not a handful of big drops over and over. So let it rip.

How bad are the drops? OH and just a note to show how bad I am at with rides that involve drops, I refuse to ever go back on Splash Mountain. I was miserable the whole ride!

Jenemmy
08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi there -- I am going to try really hard not to be biased, because ToT is one of my all time fav's! I have been on it way too many times to give you a specific number, but I do know that the ride sequence is random, and you never really know what you are going to face as far as the drops go.

It is definitely a yo-yo effect, down a little -- back up --- down a couple more. There are moments where you drop enough that your tush comes up off the seat a bit. I don't recall it ever being the full 13 story drop at once, though.

If it helps, the drop is totally smooth -- you don't feel jerked around or roughed up. Also, my mom is 61 and this is just about her favorite attraction in all of Disney World. She can not take steep drops such as you would get on a roller coaster, but she loves this.

Hope I have helped a little!

EmisDisneyMom
08-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I have had no less than 5 drops. It does very a lot though. I have had a lot of little drops with a large one or 2 and I have also had quite a few large drops in one ride. I hate to not be able to give you an exact count but it varies EVERY time I ride it and i have a 16yo and 9yo that take me on it over and over :ill: I think you should just roll the dice and go for it :D

Polynesian Dweller
08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
As Jenemmy said, its hard to give a specific number. But, in some ways it doesn't matter. This is a gentle ride and not like the typical drop rides at other parks. Its great and somehow Disney gives you the thrill without the upset. Go for it, and don't worry about the number of drops. Bet you'll be like everyone else I've ever seen get off the ride, laughing, smiling and having had a great time.:mickey:

Disney Baby
08-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Every time I ride I have had at least one big drop. I haven't been on it since 2005 but the last time I had two big drops. The part that makes me the most anxious is when the car moves forward and I am seaching for the tiny slit of light that tells me that we are about to do the first drop. After the first drop, I am laughing and having tons of fun! For me, it is a different sensation than the Splash Mountain drop. I would try it once - and then you will know for sure whether it is for you. It is my favorite ride!!!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-26-2007, 11:38 PM
ahhh.... just go for it.

CAS
08-27-2007, 12:05 AM
In my opinion you should try everything once. But having said that I have to be the party pooper and say if you didn't like Splash Mountain because of the drop then you'll despise TOT. I only tell you this because although I love thrill rides I can't do spinning. To put it into perspective, I get dissoriented making a u-turn...so I definitely appreciate a warning or two. :D

In the same breath I was fully informed of what Mission Space was like but did it anyway. I tried it once like I recommend...but will never step foot on it again. :sick:

Clotho
08-27-2007, 12:20 AM
I would have to say that the one long drop on Splash is nothing like the drops I have experienced in my many rides of ToT. The Splash drop is longer, swoopier, and a big kind of jerking feeling at the end when you hit the water. on ToT, it is mostly little downs and ups (comparatively), and any long drops are not as long or as "swoopy" feeling as Splash. And the drops never jerk. They are pretty smooth for what you are literally experiencing with gravity.

I would always say try it once. It won't kill you. Won't even hurt you. Won't scar you for life. You do it once. You like it or hate it, and then you know...

SandmanGStefani24
08-27-2007, 12:32 AM
i know how you feel. i can take almost anything on a ride. inversions, speed, turns, spins, anything that is, except a drop. so, the tower is not on my faves list as you might assume. the thing is, when i rode it last, it was over so fast, there wasn't any time to worry about it. the worst part is what you do to yourself thinking about it before you actually drop! take a good friend with you, and it'll be over before you know it! good luck! :beer:

BritCody
08-27-2007, 06:42 AM
I have never dropped more than 4 times and it seems like you get at least 1 long drop ever time you ride

mrsgaribaldi
08-27-2007, 06:59 AM
On Splash you see the drop but on ToT you really don't. ToT is my favorite ride, we do it 3 or 4 times in a row. You should try it at least once. It's really more fun than scary:mickey:

BigRedDad
08-27-2007, 07:22 AM
I watched one of the Disney shows that they have on DiscoveryHD. They were talking with one of the Engineers for ToT. He said it is virtually impossible to have the same ride twice in a 7 day period. He said there were about 10,000 variations of the "yo-yo" effect. It varies by the number of drops, how high up, how high down, how fast, etc.

brownie
08-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Some drops are longer than others, but you're talking drops that take seconds differing by seconds. It can be hard to tell how far you are actually falling. The ride is very smooth, and is one of our favorites.

Jenemmy
08-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Some drops are longer than others, but you're talking drops that take seconds differing by seconds. It can be hard to tell how far you are actually falling. The ride is very smooth, and is one of our favorites.

This is a good point.....the reason no one is really telling you how many stories you fall on a drop is because it is nearly impossible to tell!! You kind of lose that concept once you are in the shaft. There have even been moments when I couldn't tell if I was going up or down! LOL. It's always over too quick, though!

MARY POPS' MOM
08-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I HATE! this ride. Not really, but, it did scare me. I have a fear of heights & would always wait at the bottom for my family. The photos are fun to watch......So the one time I get brave enough to ride I take a big breath & just get on. My DH told me exactly what was happening, he had to my eyes were shut tight!
He also told me to hold on tight 'cuz we were gonna drop! He didn't lie. We dropped & I screamed the entire time! The photo is a riot, the look of terror on my face is funny. I have no idea if we dropped once or ten times, all I know is we did, and I survived. We got off the ride, I was laughing & crying (a little) but we bought the photo to prove to my family that I finally did the ride. Once is enough for me but I am glad I got to experience it.:blush:

CanadianWDWFan
08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
I was going to say that my DS3's favourite rides are Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain, but won't:secret: :D

It all depends on if you like being in the dark and sudden falls and being shot up fast. Try it once, you never know. You might just like it. But since you said that you don't like Splash Mountain, I am going to say that you probably won't like Tower of Terror.

grumpyguy
08-27-2007, 08:42 AM
this is a complete package..theming,storyline
awesome effects and state of the art ride vehicle.the hair on my arms is standing up right now just thinking about the ride!!
it is very smooth,try it you'll love it,especially
if you're an old twilight zone fan.
i watched some youtube videos last night of the tot,thet were pretty good.
remember.....what goes up,must come down:thumbsup:

Madame Leona
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM
If you don't like drops, I don't think you would like this ride. Like many have said, it is smooth but you still lose your stomach repeatedly. Also, you don't know how far you will be falling each time until you stop. I say follow your gut feeling. You shouldn't have to go on a ride you don't feel comfortable with on your vacation.

BMan62
08-27-2007, 08:50 AM
One thing you might want to take into account... On Splash Mountain, you can see the drop - you are physically slanted down the slope. On ToT you are seated perpendicular to the ground and never see what is below you.

I have found that seeing what is coming up to meet you is much more intimidating, although the first time I, a 300 lb. man, was lifted off my seat on ToT (thank goodness you have a seatbelt on!) I was surprised and a little disconcerted. Now that I've been through it once and know what to expect, I don't think it could be a problem for me again.

I think for most of the thrill rides, especially at WDW, the anticipation is what scares you the most. Once you've been through it once you get to anticipate it and enjoy it more.

julyjewel
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I just went on ToT a few weeks ago during my first trip ever to WDW! My 5yr old son loved it! He cracked up the whole time as so did I and my husband. My daughter was a little more uncertain.

The drops are very smooth and your butt will leave your seat. Just try it!:thumbsup: If you don't like it, at least you know you tried.

irish1967
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
The question I think you should consider is this...

When you rode Splash Mountain and decided to never ride it ever again, did the experience ruin the entire day for you? If so, then you should skip TOT, if not, then you should go ahead and try it. THen you'll know for sure!

#1donaldfan
08-27-2007, 12:17 PM
We've been on it many, many times......from 6 to 39 yrs old......great ride.......it's really hard to pin point how many times it ascends and falls......every time is so much different than the last. I didn't and probably will not count them, I am the chicken of the group and I just hold on till it stops. This is the only ride I get nervous on and if the kids are trying to opt out, I'm with them......this past year we had child, DS, that DID NOT want to ride it, and he's rode many times before, so I opted out with him.....next year I WILL ride it......

JessicaRabbit
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
but I REALLY did not like this ride. Generally, I will go on anything that does not go upside down - so I tried ToT w/DS12 and DD11 - they loved it - I did not. If I could have pressed a button to stop the ride and get off, I would have done it. We dropped 4 times and 2 of them were long drops (not sure how many stories but my butt was off of my seat for a good long time both drops). I don't mind the drop on Splash Mountain - but I hated the drops on ToT. I'm glad I can say I tried it - but I'll never ride it again - took me FOREVER to recover LOL!

McGoofy
08-27-2007, 02:16 PM
The fact that you are asking and researching TOT proves that deep down inside you really want to do it!! :D I am another that disagrees with the fact that it is comparable to Splash Mountain. The drop is definitely not jerky or going downhill. SM always hurts my neck, but I think that is because I am usually ducking to avoid getting my head wet. TOT is a different experience each time you go. I think the least drops I've seen is maybe 4, but I think we've often had 5. It is over so quick that it is hard to keep track, and I have literally tried to count while on the ride! It is hard to say how many stories you are falling because 1.) it is so quick and 2.) there's really not landmarks to watch for. The worse part for me is the suspense when the doors to the outside open, and I am waiting to fall. It really is a lot of fun. Here's how I ride it....:eek:initally scared...:jaw:LOUD SCREAM...:rotfl:lots of laughter...and then keep that pattern times 4 or 5 times (however many times we drop)...then it ends with :high5: high five to my son who has been riding TOT since he was 5 years old. You've got to try it just once. If you don't, you will never know if you would have liked it or not!:) Think of it as one of those little frog hopper rides that little kids ride at county fairs!:frog: YOU CAN DO IT!!!!:D

Oh, and the pictures are the best part. Look for somebody in your car that has long hair. It will stand straight up when you fall. That always makes me laugh too.

JCDarzi
08-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Several years ago, my husband tried to force me to get on the ToT. He ended up riding it by himself and wouldn't let me live it down. On our next trip to WDW, a couple of years later, I promised I would ride it just to shut him up.

I did it, but I didn't enjoy it. Yes the themeing is wonderful, the ride is smooth. To me it wasn't the drops that were so bad, it was how they accelerated you up and all the sudden you dropped. The surprise of the drop may be the biggest thrill not how from how high they drop you.

Do whatever you want to do. There's plenty to do in WDW without riding something you don't particular want to do.

BelleBeauty
08-27-2007, 04:20 PM
When I was on, we had 3 drops. I would say that 1 was all the way and 2 were about half. Honestly, I don't think you can tell how far you are dropping.

My gut reaction is that if you don't like Splash Mountain, you will absolutely not like TOT. That being said, the beginning of the ride and the technology is AMAZING - so if you are a ride purist and you enjoy that part, I recommend going on at least once.

On top of not really liking thrill rides, I used to have a fear of elevators. So I had that going against me. I've only done TOT once, and don't do it on a regular basis. But it wasn't so bad that I would never go back on. I just didn't really enjoy the sensation of falling and not being able to get your bearings.

thrillme
08-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Maybe 3-4 drops...how far...probably about half as far as the Tower is tall.

It's dark when you get dropped so you don't "see" anything worth worrying about anyway. :thedolls:

When you bounce back up...you get a nice view of the "World" at MGM. I love taking a peek to see what all I can see.

There is SOOOOOO much more to this ride than just the silly drop. It's really "theatrical". Really the first drop is just the only "big" one. The initial drop feeling is ONLY about a micro-second then you know you're dropping but don't care. Once you start "bouncing" you feel like "Tigger".:tigger:

This is a definate "don't miss" ride.

rnin02
08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
I love ToT, but I also love SM too, so I might not be helpful! I think you might like ToT over SM because you feel very secure in the ride vehicle. SM (and rides similar) gives you that brief feeling you could be flung out of the boat and crash. ToT is just up and down, no need to worry about being flung anywhere! And its just so much fun, especially when you are going fast enough that your butt comes out of the seat a little! I'd say try it once, and keep an open mind...its really a great ride!

mousetrapper
08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
There have even been moments when I couldn't tell if I was going up or down!

so true!

I was scared to death to ride this back in 1999. My older DD (8 at the time) waited outside while my younger DD (then a tiny 5) rode ToT several times in a row, whooping with laughter each time they looped around to ride it "just one more time!"

I figured, well, if a 5-year-old can do it, I can!

I HATE roller coasters -- the big ones that leave your stomach at the top. I find them not enjoyable in the least. I just don't get it. I do like Splash but still brace myself (and hold tight onto my stomach) on the last plunge.

However, I LOVE ToT. As others have said, it's so smooth, the ride so well-done from a theming point of view, and so thrilling (in a good way) that it's really one of my favorites now. The one drop is longer than the others, and as was stated above, you actually reach a point where you don't know which way you're going! It's so cool. I scream with delight every time I ride it!

mousetrapper
08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
so true!

My older DD (8 at the time) waited outside while my younger DD (then a tiny 5) rode ToT several times in a row, whooping with laughter each time they looped around to ride it "just one more time!"

Sorry! I meant to say, my older DD AND I waited outside while my younger DD AND MY HUSBAND rode ToT....

:blush:

IloveDisney71
08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
In my opinion you should try everything once. But having said that I have to be the party pooper and say if you didn't like Splash Mountain because of the drop then you'll despise TOT. ... :D

I would have to agree with this statement. I actually love Splash Mountain(it's one of my favorite rides) but I only rode the TOT one time. I believe I experienced my first panic attack after that ride. I was shaking so bad, I could hardly stand up and walk off the ride. I don't care for straight drops and knew I shouldn't ride TOT, but I let my teenager talk me into it. :( That was a really dumb thing for me to do! I believe we dropped 7 times with at least 2 LONG drops. ALL that being said, I did survive the ride and can look back on it now and actually laugh!!! If nothing else, I can say that I have now ridden EVERY ride at Disney World, so I guess that counts for something.:mickey: If you think you can stand it, I'd say go for it. I did and lived to tell about it! HA

Donald A
08-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Your question is hard to answer. ToT is my favorite attraction at the resort. It really isn't a drop but more of a bounce. It really varies how much you drop but a couple times I think we went several stories down then back up. The shooting up is as good as the droping to me.

HOWEVER,

If you don't want to ride it, don't ride it. I mean if you hated Splash Mountain you probably will NOT like ToT. Just wait in line with your group and when you get up to the elevator bypass the ride and meet them when they get off. You'll have to wait like 5 minutes for your group. Why do something you aren't comfortable with? You are on vacation, have fun.

cheshirecollector
08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I like the "vertical" drops of roller coasters and Splash Mountain, but I don't like "freefall" drops. How bad is ToT compared to Giant Drop at Six Flags Great America? Has anyone done both? Is it the same feeling?

dteed
08-29-2007, 02:27 PM
ahhh.... just go for it.

I have to agree here. TOT is not one of my must do's but DW likes it so I go with her along with the kids. it is an interesting story, the drop sequence is over quick, you probably won't die from it, and it is fun. I don't care for it but it is fun.

debandbub
08-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Another vote for giving it a try. Granted, it is my FAVORITE ride, but it really is not that "bad". You will feel more secure than in Splash Mountain and other coasters because you are just going srtaight up and down and it is SMOOTH, not jarring like a coaster might be. And as other posters have pointed out, it really is an entire experience, from the "pre-show" to the queue before you board the elevator and then the whole story sequence before you drop. A more philosophical argument for trying it would be: You regret the things you haven't done more than you regret the things you have done. Life is about collecting experiences...collect this one!:mickey:

FosterChild
08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
(I've been reading these boards for quite a while, but had to join and post to this one.)

Last time we made a family safari to Disney was in 1999. My aunt, who has Parkinsons, was getting worse and wanted very badly to see Animal Kingdon while she still could.

She was 80 at the time and my mother was 77.

They do not like roller coaster type rides, so usually sat them out - I think because they mess up the roller-set, bubble hair-do. ;)

They very much wanted to experience Tower of Terror, however. We still laugh at the picture we must have presented. Two elderly women in wheel chairs, tooling onto the elevator.

By the way, they loved it! If they can do it, so can you!

LoriMistress
08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
The drops were random. I rode that ride several times and it would drop an average 3-5 times for me.

grumpycajun
08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
DS (12) and I (never mind my age) flat refused to get on it the first two years we went. No way in the world anyone was going to talk us into it. Well, this past year DW and DD bribed us with $5.00 each. We steeled ouselves and bit the bullet (yes, we're cheap). I will tell you that the last few seconds before the very first drop we were both freaking out. He was latched on to my arm like a tick on a dog's ear and I was gripping the seat handles so hard I bent them into a "S"... After it was finally over we got right back in line and went again. And then we used our fast passes to go again. DW and DD finally got sick of us brave men and left to go do something else. We caught up with them later. Go ahead and give it a try. It's a blast!!!
Oh yeah, we got our 5 bucks.

Hog Wild
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Do NOT I repeat do NOT let anyone FORCE you into riding anything! I have riden ToT twice, both times I HATED it! I have riden EVER coaster/ thrill ride at Disney at least once. I will probably never do the orange team at Mission space and I don't ever plan on being on ToT again!

I understand asking others about their ride and how they liked it, but they aren't you! This is one that you are going to have to decide on. I like the drop in splash mtn, hate getting wet, but don't mind the drop. However, I HATE ToT. I will stand in line with the fam and duck out before they load the cars. I get lots of looks, Dh teases me unmearcifully, but I really have learned not to care. Those few minutes are pure torture for me. Does it ruin my day? no not really, but it takes me a long time to stop shaking.

Now that we have been so many times, DH layes off of me. And truth be told DS doesn't like it much either. So we wait at the exit. And this summer he got to be one of the "welcome back" cast members, all dressed in the hat and shirt! That never would have happened if we were on the ride!

mermaidmarian
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I love love love this ride and I scream like a little girl every time.

There really isn't anything that is a good comparison - Splash is probably the best comp because of the drop, but it is a single drop and you can see it. The most thrilling part of ToT for me is that point after the glass shatters and the car moves forward and you know it is in position and you know the drop is coming and you make just a little squeak of anticipation (everyone does that, right? :blush:). Next is when you are "down" and there is a momentary pause and you're not quite sure, "is it over?", and then back up you go!

It is a pure adreneline rush for me and I walk off that ride feeling more exhilarated than any other. I love the coasters too - but sometimes I feel a bit whiplashed getting off and can't really do them back to back - I never feel that way with ToT and I could ride it multiple times in succession.

FWIW, I don't do spinning rides. I will never go on Mission Space - not even if they make a "G" version. TeaCups? My kid has to have been very good all day for me to agree to that one time a trip.

My opinion of ToT is that it is meant to scare you to pieces - and that is part of its perfection - it is IMO far more psychologically thrilling than it is physically thrilling/taxing.

That said, I agree with another poster who said that you should not be cajoled into riding something that you don't want to ride. The decision is very personal and each person's "take away" from the experience is so very subjective. Have a great time, whatever you decide!

mermaidmarian
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
The worse part for me is the suspense when the doors to the outside open, and I am waiting to fall. It really is a lot of fun. Here's how I ride it....:eek:initally scared...:jaw:LOUD SCREAM...:rotfl:lots of laughter...and then keep that pattern times 4 or 5 times (however many times we drop)...then it ends with :high5: high five to my son who has been riding TOT since he was 5 years old.

Aha! I knew I wasn't the only squeaker! :thumbsup: McGoofy, your description of your experience is almost identical to how I experience ToT.

BTW...my DS (9) has been riding since he was 5 too. At the time, he begged me to ride it - I thought he would be scared but, no way.

dephenn
08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
You Can Do It!!!

RocknRoller94
09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
The ride isn't as scary as the spooky queu. If I start thumping, it's before I get on. Ater that, it isn't so bad, so by all means, Go for it!

katzctkpt
09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I dont remember lightening in the shaft but, it is in the story queu. This is one of my favorite rides at MGM along with RRC. The drops are random but, from what I recall no more than 3 drops and really not enough to get your hair up.
My vote is to try all the rides just once so, you'll have your own opinion then post it on intercot when someone else asks. :thumbsup:

r4kids
09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I can't stand dropping so I do not go on this ride. My kids love it, even my 6 year old. :sick: Anyway, I take the little ones inthe group and we shop while the others go on TOT. I enjoy the shopping aspect much more. Just an FYI, I am only 30 but we have 4 kids, so the kids always tell me I am an old lady! It's really lovely but don't go on to make others happy.
16 days,16 hours and 30mins!!!!!!!!!:party::cloud9:

DisneyDudet
09-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I mother HATES and I mean HATES drops.

Tower of Terror is her absolute FAVORITE ride, EVER.

She hates RnRC, but will go on it if my dad isn't with us.

Total, if you had a drop from the highest point possible to the botton, I think its 8 stories.

The drops are very random. Sometimes we are sitting in the shaft, waiting for it to drop, and we go up!!! We may go up and down 3-5 times, with at least one full drop.

I don't get that lose-your-stomach feeling anymore since they have seatbelts instead of lab bars. I get that feeling on Splash though. I'm one of those who like it :cool:

I say, try it once. That's what my mom says. Its Disney. She'll try it one time, just to say she did it.

You can always get in line, and decide at the loading area that its not for you. The preshow is pretty fun.

crltkcagle
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
My dad is like a big kid on this ride. Last time i was there (98) there was no line so we kept going on it getting off and going on it again. We probably went 5 or 6 times in a row. It is very random and yes your butt will come off the seat most of the time. it is so much fun though!