PDA

View Full Version : Parasailing Sold Out!

ravsluvdisney
08-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Our booking window opened up for our Nov cruise and I went on the first day and was able to score Palo reservations (YEAH) but the parasailing excursion was sold out!! My 8 year old DS and I really wanted to try this tandem and I was really bummed. What are the chances that I will be able to book this excursion once we get to the ship? Thanks.

TammiMcMan
08-26-2007, 02:50 PM
If it's the parasailing excursion on Castaway Cay, then it's my understanding that those spots do fill up very quickly. I would suggest that you keep checking back for any openings or cancellations.

angedeaile
08-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Aww.

That is something I didn't want to hear!
Infact, that is the only excursion on our whole trip that we were planning on doing.

Well, just gotta keep my fingers crossed for our January cruise....I will keep my fingers crossed for your November cruise too!

Post and let us know if you ever manage to snag a spot!

ElenitaB
08-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I'd suggest going to the Excursions Desk when you board (as well as trying every now and then online)... there could most definitely be a cancellation. I know that we changed our CC excursions a few times before we actually sailed.

Good luck!

GreenBeetle
08-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Not sure if this applies in your case, but I have read recently on another site that Disney has cancelled parasailing on Castaway Cay for cruises in September. No one seems to know the reasons for sure, but problems with the company who does the excursion have been mentioned.

Ed
08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
It may or may not have any bearing on DCL's decision (if, in fact, they have cancelled parasailing), but just last week there was a very tragic parasailing accident in Pompano Beach in which two teenage sisters were blown onto the roof of a hotel, then slammed into palm trees, killing the 15 year old girl and seriously injuring her 17 year old sister. Most of the blame is falling on the boat operator, who should not have taken anyone out in heavy winds, and also on faulty equipment - the tow rope snapped after the impact with the roof.

disneygirl17
08-31-2007, 08:24 AM
We just got back from a cruise and my husband and sister were signed up for parasailing. They took them out (by themselves) and due to their negligence they were in a parasailing accident.

There is a pully system used to release you into the air and pull you back to the boat. Well the excursion company had the ropes tangled up and as they were releasing them they flew from about 10 feet to about 25 feet in one big ump. My husband (6 foot tall and 210 lbs) flipped upside down and my sister (15, 5 feet tall and 87 pounds) went under him. The ropes they use to harness you in (like a johnny jump up harness) caused burns on both of their legs and hips. My husband was basically doing a backbend and screaming in pain due to the bending and the fact that the harness was pushing up on his manhood. My sister has brush burns and bruises on her ears and up and both sides of her face from the ropes and we think maybe my husbands watch. Oh and my sisters earing got ripped out of her ear.

They did immediately get them to first aid and they are both very soar but okay. It scared them a good bit. They could have been hurt much worse. The thing that bothers my husband is when he got to the boat they had all the ropes out and were trying to get them back together before they took off. My husband asked about the ropes being tangled and they acted like it was no big deal. Then when they were going up they actually had to force the pully system to release because it was stuck. They can't possbily be trained very well to think that forcing a pully system in this circumstance was smart. I would think they should know not to do that and that something was wrong.

Anyways this is just my FYI so please be aware of what you could be getting yourself into.

ravsluvdisney
08-31-2007, 07:11 PM
YIKES!!! So sorry to hear about your experience. This always seemed like such a fun,relatively low risk activity. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it is good that it was sold out!!

whymsycalwitch
09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, the case is worse than being sold out. I spoke with DCL twice yesterday regarding booking my parasailing excursion, like others it was the only excursion that I wanted to book. I was informed by two different CM's that the Parasailing Excursion at Castaway Cay has been discontinued until further notice. The one CM told me that there had been recent problems with the independent company that they were using.

GreenBeetle
09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
That's exactly what I heard before our cruise last week. However, I saw people parasailing at Castaway last Tuesday. Maybe ours was the last cruise to do it. :confused:

pinkpebble83
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
:thumbsup:I just went online to try and book Palo and saw that parasailing is open for booking Oct 28-Nov 1 and all times from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m were open.

ravsluvdisney
09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, I just went on and booked for our cruise on Nov 10. All the times were open. I am hoping that whatever issues they had with the contractor have been resolved since I really wanted to try this.