PDA

View Full Version : At what age for solo?

TheMartellFamily
08-26-2007, 12:31 PM
What age do you think it right to let kids go on their own for rides? How about let go on their own and meet up at certain times? Of course these are all opinions of course, I'm just wondering.

chrisb26
08-26-2007, 12:56 PM
My parents let my brother go on rides alone when he was probably about 13. This was mainly at Epcot because he really really doesn't like walking around the countries and if we make him he will complain the entire time. So they let him just keep riding Test Track and Mission Space over and over again. He was responsible to leave him alone at that age so they felt fine. Something I think is a good idea is if you have those portable walkie talkies then carry those with you that way you can still be in contact even if your not together.

gueli
08-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I think it is both about age & maturity level. Starting around the teen years I could accept it, but it is going to range widley on how the individual handles things & what the settings are.
For instance, are we talking about a pair of kids (or more)? How responsible are they ?
How would they handle an emergency ? Would they have a way to contact the adults (cell phone) in case something comes up. I know you cannot cover all the bases, but you have to make the best decision based on knowing your child or children and what Your (the parent) comfort level is.
I would say that the potential starts at the teen years. beyond that it is dictated by maturity level & personal responsibility.
:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
08-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I let my girls 13 and 11 go and they had one of our cell phones if necessary. They were both very responsible and did exactly what they were told, becuase they knew if they didn't, they would never get to do it again. It all worked out fine.

1EeyoreFan
08-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I let my 13 yr. old son have some free reign at EPCOT. He can stay and play the video games forever! He had a cell phone and called us (literally) at every move he made. lol. He went on TT and MS but called before he left his designated area.

He rode some rides on his own starting at about age 9, however, it was nothing that we had not been on prior so we would know what to expect. I would hate for him to be upset or scared and no one there for him. I did wait for him to get off though. I wasn't in a different area of the park.

MinnieMommie
08-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I agree that a variety of variables have to be considered when making this decision. My first 3 kids are relatively close in age and had been going to Disney since they were babes. They know the layout of the parks like the back of their hands. They are good kids with common sense who don't get in trouble. Even with that I was cautious about letting them be on their own in the parks too soon. When we finally let them split up from us we were in the same parks and would meet up at regular intervals to eat and touch base. Hard decision and I know our kids safely and well being is foremost to all of us. :mickey:

teamblackwell
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi all,
My policy is;
---- junior high age, you can freely roam the same park as parents.
---- once they got to high school, they can park hop on their own, but must meet up for lunch and carry a cell phone.
See ya in the World (WDW),
Teamblackwell

tundramom
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Still can't cut the apron strings (DD was 12 in June) last 2 trips we let her do single rider lines when she wanted a repeat ride but we waited at the ride exit. I think I would be willing soon if she had a sibling/friend with her but alas, she is an only child. I feel like she has a good handle on the park layouts but I firmly believe in safety in numbers. We would definitely have to be in the same park with cell phones.

disneynarula
08-26-2007, 04:16 PM
We were not allowed to leave the group until I was in college and my sister was sixteen.

We rode rides alone younger than that but my parents always waited in line with is and then waited at the exit.

McGoofy
08-26-2007, 06:20 PM
My son is 9, and there are 2 rides that he loves that both me and my husband can't stand. The rides are Stitch and Mission Space. He has been riding both of these solo for nearly 2 years now. However, we walk him to the entrance and make sure that he gets in. Then we sit right by the exit and wait for him to come out. I also give him my cell phone to carry in his pocket. I don't have a problem with ride solo as he is a very mature 9 year old. However, I am not ready for him to spend a day in the park by himself just yet. Although he could practically be a Disney tour guide, it's not him I am worried about. I would just worry about somebody snatching him. I don't know what age I'll ever feel comfortable just letting him go.

magicofdisney
08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
My son is 9 and is allowed to ride rides by himself, but only if I'm waiting at the exit to join up with him. My two girls just turned 7. They know Disney policy will now allow them to ride without an adult as long as they meet the height requirement. The only ride I've let them do this on so far is Magic Carpets, because I can sit right there and watch them walk through the line and meet them at the exit. Actually, I let them do Swiss Family Robinson alone as well, but I still met them at the exit. I'm not sure when I'll be ready to let them roam without us. We all really enjoy the same rides, so that may never become an issue.

Exo
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I was 13 first time I went to WDW solo. But it was with a Jr. High School band. No problems in 1983 :D

Brer Mickey
08-26-2007, 08:10 PM
As it has been stated already, there are several factors in determining when a child is ready to solo ride or park hop.

My only child is 15 and he began riding solo at 10 and has been park-hopping on his own since he was 13. While we are at WDW, we require him to be with us most of the time, but we allow him some time to himself.

He too has been to WDW many times since he was 7, always has a cell phone with him, and is quite familiar with the whole WDW transportation system.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Is 30 too old?? :blush:

Just kidding. Really, I would love not to think about my kids being old enough to go out on their own in WDW. But, my oldest is 10 now so, I guess we will have to start thinking about it in a few years. Both he and my younger son are mature and well behaved for their age but, it is going to be a few more years before I am comfortable enough.

They are just going to have to stick with Mom, Dad and little sister for awhile longer. ;)

Gottaluvgoof
08-26-2007, 09:47 PM
I guess I'm over protective but nowadays I'm not taking any chances. My daughter is 14 and very responsible, but she isn't going anywhere by herself. I agree with the safety in numbers thing, and even with her 12 year old sister, and 11 year old brother, I would be a nervous wreck if they were wandering the world alone. We have fun together and for now, I see no need to have them wandering around without me or DH. I guess we're lucky, we all like pretty much everything. No need to split up.

Here we go again...
08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
My DD is 13 and we just let her and a friend stay at Disney Quest alone for the first time in February. We brought them to the door and met them at the exit at a designated time. I was a little worried, but they loved it. It also gave us some time to experience Pleasure Island and we were just steps away from the girls if they needed us.

I know my DD is old enough and mature enough to be in the park on her own... I just worry too much. I worry about her walking the block home from the bus stop....

EmisDisneyMom
08-26-2007, 10:52 PM
What's going on here! I told my DD when she was 13 and had a friend w/ her that they could go do their own thing for a while. I couldn't shake them:bolt:...as a matter of fact she is 16 and still follows me around :spoiler: Just kidding here, I did tell her they could take off at 13yo but she knows I have the money so she sticks around:spend: 13yo seems to be a good age.

J9
08-26-2007, 11:07 PM
My high school took us on a trip to Disney after our freshman year, so I was 14 at the time. They let us break up into groups and go around on our own - we just had to arrive and leave the park as one big group and then check in with nuns once during the day.

Not quite solo, but we were in groups of maybe 5-6 girls. I couldn't imagine going solo before at least age 14.

martinfamily5
08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
My DDs (17 and 14) are plenty old and responsible enough to go on their own. They also know the parks like the back of their hands. However, this very expensive family vacation is just that, a family vacation. It is a time for our family to spend happy time together. My 3 children bicker frequently at home and they just know that it is not allowed at Disney and they ALWAYS obey this rule. I guess that the kids view the family vacation the same way that DH and I do, because they have never asked to seperate from us.

jillluvsdisney
08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
My sister wanted her kids to go off on their own with each other and they didn't want to. How's that for a strange twist? She let Lindsay ride the bus back to POP by herself from DTD after Cirque. She waited at the bus stop with her until she got on it. Linds was 16 then. When she met us in Epcot and told my Mom that, the look on my Mom's face was priceless.:jaw:

irish1967
08-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I remember being on my own in high school - I got a lot of headaches when I was younger and vividly remember riding the monorail back to both the CR and the Poly on different trips to get my medication and to take a nap. I was expected to place a wake up call with the desk and be back at the designated spot on time, or else :mickey:

I don't know when I'll let my two DS go off on their own (they are currently 10 and 7) but it will definitely depend on maturity level rather than age and the independence will definitely occur in stages...(starting with going on a ride by themselves and then working up to park hopping on their own.) and it will definitely fall under the priviledge category rather than right catgory!

beksy
08-31-2007, 09:13 PM
As an opinion from the "child" rather than the "parent" I'll put in my opinion. When I was about 12 my parents would let me go and get food or go to a store by myself as long as we were all in the same area. For the most part it wasn't an issue, we're a close family with most of the same tastes in food, rides, etc. and enjoyed staying together and being a "family." When I was 16 we took one of my friends with us who had never been. At that time they let us go on our own. We were given some money and a designated time to meet and just did what we wanted. Of course my 10 year old sister wanted to tag along so she was with us most of the time but even then it wasn't an issue. I would have been ready much younger if the situation had been the same.

katzctkpt
09-01-2007, 12:22 AM
I think it is both about age & maturity level. Starting around the teen years I could accept it, but it is going to range widley on how the individual handles things & what the settings are.
I would say that the potential starts at the teen years. beyond that it is dictated by maturity level & personal responsibility.
:mickey:

I totally agree but, when we go on vacation we're going as a family and I would like to keep us together as a family. I know if we ever have a friend go then they'll wanna go their separate ways. As of now we haven't been able to afford to take a friend so, we'll cross that bridge if & when it happens.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I am torn on this issue because I can very vividly remember what it was like to be a teenager (I'm 24) AND... I have two babies in my belly, so my thinking has drastically changed recently... :mickey:

When I was a teenager, I was allowed to go around the parks, but not alone (there are 4 cousins in my family all within 3 years of each other)... I also went on my first solo (with a friend) vacation to WDW when I was 19 and a freshmen in college. I think it depends on each child's maturity and comfort level. We were all quite mature, and our parents had confidence that we would never get lost... (I was a "Disney raised" kid!)

However, now I'm thinking that I will not let my boys go alone until they are 30! (I guess I will have to worry about that when the time comes...) :shrug:

vamaggie
09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Our son just turned 10 and we are going in Nov (also have a 4 yr old). Don't think he will get "free range" privleges quite yet but I can see us letting him go to the food court or play in the arcade (with a cell phone) for a while alone if he wants. Thing is, he usually does not want to--wants to stay with us (can I bottle some of those feelings for when he is 16?)

septembergirl
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
My two oldest are DS14 and DS12. I plan to let them go off together in the same parks as us, especially Epcot. I know they will want to go and spend some time at Innoventions which I find to be a waste of time. They will feel the same about WS;). We will probably meet back up in time for our Soarin' FP:thumbsup:. I have a DS9 who will not exactly enjoy WS either but he is not ready for that much freedom so he will have to stick it out with dad, 3 yr. old sister and me!

I don't know about park hopping yet, though. I probably would consider it if they were more familiar with the layout of the World.