PDA

View Full Version : Rapper Costume for MNSSHP: Offensive?

MouseHouser
08-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Gf and I will be attending Mickey's NNS Holloween Party for the first time. I had planned to go as a rapper: some bling, an oversized white T-shirt, a doo-rag, etc., and had wanted her to do the same. Her response was that such customes might rightly offend some people.

Now I'm reconsidering the whole idea. After all, this IS Disney. May I know your take?

MouseHouser
08-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Excuse bad spelling. It's early.

MouseHouser
08-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Oh, and I should probably mention, since it could impact your answer, we're white.

wdw_bound
08-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm assuming you plan to be a white rapper. I wouldn't be offended, per se, but I wouldn't care for it. Now if you did the baggy pants around your knees thing, that would really get to me. Having said that, I can think of a lot better costumes for MNSSHP.

murphy1
08-26-2007, 08:23 AM
As long as the underwear isn't showing!! To me, it's kind of like dressing up like your favorite rock star or music star. I have seen this look in the park anyway on normal days

CleveSJM
08-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I agree with the others. If your drawers aren't showing it's not offensive. I doubt many people would think you are in costume though. They will probably think that's how you dress all the time. Unless you and your GF are like 80 years old, then I'd think it's a decent costume.

snifflesmcg
08-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I think it's a great idea. I don't see how this could be offensive at all. You can get some ideas for your costume from Flava Flave, lol.

gueli
08-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Its not a matter of taste- or offensive (just remember no 'bad language on shirts,etc- although you seem to have that covered)- Its a matter of a good costume...
Either way
Have fun
:mickey:

ojeilatan
08-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Personally, it wouldn't offend me. But I do agree with another poster, and would probably think that was your normal dress. Unless it was over the top, (once again agree with another poster, like Flava Flav) I wouldn't believe it to be a costume.

But, as for your original question, no, I wouldn't find it offensive, because I doubt you would have offensive words or sayings on your clothes, or that your pants would be around your ankles. I'm sure you would still be a 'disney appropriate rapper'. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
08-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't find it offensive either....

MMouse6937
08-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I agree that I don't think I would be offended, but as this is a Disney event I can think of better, more kid friendly costumes I would pick. You have to be very careful to look like you are dressed in costume as a rapper and not that you dress that way everyday. I'm not sure how easy that would be to pull off. I used to go as a "punk rocker" for Halloween when I was like 9 or 10. Soon after that I actually saw people that were dressed like I would be out on an every day occasion, didn't become much of a "costume" anymore. Good luck, and have fun!

Jessie
08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Personally, it wouldn't offend me. But I do agree with another poster, and would probably think that was your normal dress. Unless it was over the top, (once again agree with another poster, like Flava Flav) I wouldn't believe it to be a costume.

This was my thought exactly. I actually wouldn't think it was a costume unless it was WAY over the top. I would assume it was just your every day wear.

BigRedDad
08-26-2007, 01:01 PM
As long as you are not bringing in the guns, drugs, and dogs for fighting, I think it is ok.

teambricker04
08-26-2007, 01:39 PM
As long as you are not bringing in the guns, drugs, and dogs for fighting, I think it is ok.

Hilarious.

It would not be offensive, but I agree that you would have to be over the top or you should go as something else.

dolphinmickey9170
08-26-2007, 01:43 PM

ROTFLMBO

Too Funny!!

But, I must agree, no drawers. Can't stand it.

Funny, though, we saw a t-shirt that had "Open up a can of ________" and they were inside the park. I can't figure out how that was allowed. It was profanity, after all.

luvdiznee
08-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I think it's a great idea. I don't see how this could be offensive at all. You can get some ideas for your costume from Flava Flave, lol.

:Dlol:D. I don't think it would be offensive either. I'm sure you know enough not to wear anything w/profanity since you will be at the "Big D". And yes some good ideas from Flava Flav! :cool:

LoriMistress
08-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh, and I should probably mention, since it could impact your answer, we're white.

LOL...that was too funny. Maybe you can go as Jamie Kennedy as Malibu's Most Wanted? Or you can go as Flava Flav! Or better yet be Michael Vick, and wear a PETA shirt! LOL Race doesn't matter; enjoy your costume.

EmisDisneyMom
08-27-2007, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't be offended but I too may think it is your everyday clothes. (My DD is in HS and I do have to remind some of the students that I do NOT care what color/style there undies are)....On the other hand, buy a mullet wig, look up Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, or Twisted Sister, now there would be an outfit :cool:

CaptainSad
08-27-2007, 09:14 AM
My only thought, Why?

mttafire
08-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Offensive...NO
Bad Taste in costume...Yes
Just my opinion.
Rappers dont exacly have a good "family image"
Personally i wouldnt dress like one for any reason. Just my opinon. ENJOY your Disney trip!!:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
08-27-2007, 10:27 AM
While it wouldn't offend me (nothing offends me...I'm pretty thick-skinned), I don't think it's necessarily appropriate for a party at a Disney park.

I was just watching a show about rap music (VH-1), and all of the violence, drugs, murder, degradation of women, etc. that has been linked to the rap and hip hop community over the years. The big stars are trying to change that image lately, but it's a long road. I just don't think that's something to represent at a Disney function.

There are so many great costumes (even non-Disney) that you could wear, that I think a rapper should be near the bottom of the list. That's JMHO, but it's how I feel. I have to go with your girlfriend on this one.

Main Street Jim
08-27-2007, 10:37 AM
As a somewhat "former" CM at the park, go as who you want to go as. It's a Halloween party after all...LOLOLOL....But again, no profanity on the clothes, keep your drawah's covered, and ya got it, brotha! If you've never been, be sure and catch the second run of the parade, along with Hall-o-Scream fireworks. Be sure and get a Treat Bag on your way in to the park. You can start coming in for the Party as early as 4:00pm with JUST your Party tickets; no need to waste a day at MK on your regular park tickets. ;)

Oh yeah - and have LOTS OF FUN!

carley
08-27-2007, 05:41 PM
:)wouldnt offend me in any way... but what day are you going? i dont want to see ya underwear lol and as a mom of a teenager who will tell you "mom you cant go around pulling people's pants up for them like you do me and my friends"

so,....... if some weird lady pulls ya pants up for you... ITS ME ...The Mom :thumbsup:
ill fight the urge not to do this i promise

have a great time on your vacation

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
08-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Why don't you Disney-fy the rapper image? You could wear a giant Mickey Mouse clock on a chain around your neck.

kirstenmouse
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi,
Nope wouldn't find this offence although you can never have too many capt'n jacks in one place!
Kirsten
:cool:

MouseHouser
08-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all of your input. Gf read it. Still opposed, but seems to be softening. I'm now favor, and I'm sure with the right accessories the spoof won't be lost on anyone.

Originally got the idea from 2 Aussies at last year's US Open (tennis). They and their little stuffed kangaroo companion had it going on. With over-the-top medalions as the finishing touch, nothing was left to doubt.

Main Street Jim
08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Know what I'm picturing?

"Malibu's Most Wanted"....B-Rad.....
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

BMan62
08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Why don't you Disney-fy the rapper image? You could wear a giant Mickey Mouse clock on a chain around your neck.

If you use a clock (a la Flava Flav) make sure it makes a loud ticking sound - that way if you run into Captain Hook he should get real nervous looking for his 'buddy' the croc!!!:D

EmcDuckRN
08-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Totally not offensive.

BUT... I agree with the others who have said that this is perhaps not the best costume for this particular party.

I think it is more fun myself and try to do something disney themed.

That said....

There was a little while back some T-Shirts that had Mickey, (and others I believe) sort of what's the word? "Rapper-fied :unsure: ???" If you could even find that shirt, and make your costume match it, maybe add some mickey ears, you might look like you were one of his "crew" But that may be too "squeaky" for what you wanted...

:D