PDA

View Full Version : Mission:Space - Spinning??

poeticeclipse
08-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I am going to put this out there and hope that I don't sound too stupid...

"You spin during Mission:Space?"

I've been on this attraction once before and don't remember spinning at all. I know that a while back there was a no-spin version added. I may be more willing to try that versus going on the crazy regular version that made me want to lay down for a week straight and not stand up again. Can someone explain what happens on each part of the attraction? All I remember is feeling like my head weighed 200 pounds and just wanting off the ride.

Thank in advance!

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2007, 10:22 AM
The g-forces you felt (that made your head feel like 200 lbs) was due to the centrifugal spinning of the "spacecraft" (capsules) on the Orange version of the ride. I don't have the most precise description of the ride, but basically there are several large centrifuges, each with capsules extended on arms in a circle around it. As certain points during the ride, the capsules will spin around the centrifuge at varying speeds, causing the changing g-forces. In addition, the tilting of the capsules and corresponding imagery on the monitor inside the capsules is what gives you the sensation of lift-off, weightlessness and such.

I have never been on the Green (non-spinning) version of the ride, but I have heard that people prone to motion sickness tolerate it much better than the spinning version.

texasteacher
08-25-2007, 11:55 AM
I didn't know it was spinning either and I have ridden it several times.
The feeling of pressure made me feel very uncomfortable, but I still force myself to ride it because I want to be with my group. One thing I can say for it - it is very realistic.
I am not sure how safe this ride is, so when I go in Dec, I think I will do the milder version!

WishingStar2006
08-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I just got back from the happiest place on earth and had never ridden the "spinning" version of Mission Space, because of it's reputation for being extreme.

This year I went on the green version (non-spinning, as it is referred) and did not have any trouble and really enjoyed the ride.

I would recommend the green version. It is a lot of fun and didn't make me sick or feel bad at all!

Enjoy!

medic9016
08-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I rode the original version once and :ack: afterwards. I felt terrible the rest of the day. So I was a litte skeptical about riding the new milder version. I have rode it 6-8 times with no problems. The movement and ride simulation is the same but the odd feeling during the take off is gone. I am very thankful for the new version, It is great ride. I think also from all the attention the original ride got, some people just physced them self out before ever getting on the ride.

Mickie the Pooh
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
There was much made over the fact these things, not the individual capsules but a whole plate of them as it were spin just like you see at NASA. you don't know you are spinning because you are in the capsule you can't see out and so have no sense of it, as spinning only as the pressure.
I went once on the original, NEVER EVER AGAIN
the green side basically they just don't turn on the spin. They just sit there and give you the show etc.

mickeynuts
08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I rode the original version even though I get motion sick just because I'm a thrill junkie and I had to say I'd done it. I was not aware of the spinning, and the G force was amazing, I didn't feel bad at all during the ride but I did feel very ill afterward and won't ride it again. I was lucky to not lose my dinner but I'm glad to say I did ride it once!
:cool: Laura

KAJUNKING
08-25-2007, 06:59 PM
i love the original ride, to me its the g forces that make it so awesome, me and dd7 love it and cant wait to ride it again!! dw hates it, and sits outside w/ ds5 who is too short, it all works out i guess:mickey:

#1donaldfan
08-25-2007, 10:18 PM
My family DW, 2DD, 1DS, and me love the ride. My oldest DD, DS and me ride the more intense, while DW and younger DD ride the less intense. We have all rode the more intense, however since they've come up with the other version they tend to opt out. That ride is awesome.

ncscgirl2005
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I rode the original version once and :ack: afterwards. I felt terrible the rest of the day. So I was a litte skeptical about riding the new milder version. I have rode it 6-8 times with no problems. The movement and ride simulation is the same but the odd feeling during the take off is gone. I am very thankful for the new version, It is great ride. I think also from all the attention the original ride got, some people just physced them self out before ever getting on the ride.

So that explains it. We rode this on our trip but we chose the less intense version because I felt like the orange side was way too intense for DDs (10 & 6). After coming off the ride, DH decided that wasn't enough for him and he went to ride it again, but this time on the orange side. He didn't puke afterwards but he wasn't right the rest of the day either. He never would admit that the ride got the best of him but we could tell anyway. Mostly because he didn't ride anything the rest of the day.

CM~Mserrano
08-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I have rode both versions many many many times, and have never gotten sick. Some people just have a lower tolerance than others. The non spinning side is basically like star tours or body wars in the sense that it is a simulator. Whenever a friend asks me to describe the ride, I usually say it's something like a combination of a "gravitron" that they usually have at fairs, and a motion simulator.

To explain what happens on each part of the ride:

The first part of the ride, the capsules lean back and begin spinning, this is the time they are spinning fastest when lift-off is being simulated. Once you get into space the spinning slows down fairly quickly, this makes it feel like there is no gravity, since you go to intense G forces to regular within seconds. Then you are propelled forward for a slingshot around the moon when the capsules also spin very fast to simulate the feeling of that slingshot.

Once around the moon there is a breif period of hypersleep and you are then woken up in the middle of a meteor shower and steer clear of the meteors. The last bit of spinning is done during your descent to Mars to simulate the pull of gravity going into the new atmosphere of the planet. Finally, your joystick is disabled and you're asked to help steer the ship to the runway to land. After an interesting landing, the ride is over.

Both the intense and less intense rides are exactly the same for the movie, however the less intense side has motions on the simulator that are slightly more exaggerated than on the more intese side to try to still simulate gravitational pull and weightlessness.

Hope this helps!

mousetrapper
08-27-2007, 06:53 PM
I didn't get :ack: on the original version of the ride, but, boy, did I ever feel like I was going to pass out!! I felt like the pressure was squeezing the air (and the life!) out of me! It was awful.

You really have to listen to the instructions they give you at the beginning of the ride: Look forward, don't look side to side or turn your head, etc. It's all about inner ear balance etc. This ride really tricks your mind and your body can react in weird ways!

And make sure you take deep breaths, are hydrated and have eaten something about an hour before. I made those mistakes the first time I rode and went on first thing in the morning with an empty stomach and without having had enough water on a very hot day!

I love the theming however (my dad programmed rockets for NASA during the space program in the 1960s!) so I'm really looking forward to riding the milder version.

dteed
08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Here is my opinion. My DS13 rode the ride and either closed his eyes or looked away from the screen and got an ill feeling afterwards. If you look straight at the screen, as directed, you will be fine. We have done it since and he was fine.

RBrooksC
08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
If anybody has seen Moonraker or Spies Like Us, you see what is being used in this ride.

I happened to like the full version. The feeling of the blast off and then the power brake to weightlessness is incredible. Yes, I was very dizzy afterward and had to get a drink and sit down. However, I will do it again a little more than 21 days.

cal5755
08-29-2007, 04:13 PM
My dh and ds (11) and I LOVE mission space. We went 2 years ago and I didn't notice the green side... is this new? We go to Disney every 2 years with our next trip in 15 days!! My dd (8) is so excited she is finally tall enough to try it. Last time she was 1/2 inch too short. Now I just have to figure out where to send my mom and 4 yr old dd while we go on!!

I liked the explanation of how the ride works.. great info to pass on to DS!!