PDA

View Full Version : Pin Display

nickcapp
08-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I have turned what used to be just a one or two pin purchase into a huge Disney pin collection...its addictive.

Anyway, I would like to know how you all display your pins at home...I hate to keep them all locked up waiting for their next trip to disney!

MartyS
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
My DW & DD pin trade (big time). She got me to make some display cases to hang on the wall made of wood with hinged glass fronts. I made them different styles, sizes, colors / stains so she can group pins as she wants. We have about six of these things on the walls of several rooms and she still has more pins. Have to admit the pins look pretty good displayed.

dking2002
08-24-2007, 09:02 PM
We bought shadow boxes from Pottery Barn that are hinged. It's great because the pins stick in so they can be moved around. It was easy when we went on our trip this summer for my boys to each pick which pins they wanted to wear or trade. We just popped them out, and when we got home, stuck them (plus all the new ones)back in. We did find some shadow boxes at Michael's as well. They were cheaper than the ones from Pottery Bare, but the backing wasn't thick enough to support the pins.

vamaggie
08-25-2007, 08:19 AM
We still keep ours in a pin bag but I have read that some folks take a painting canvas and use that to hold/display the pins. I am thinking of doing this after our Nov trip. Would love to hear how others display their collections.

LauraleeH
08-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I just put them on a pretty white bulletin board. Someday I might get something even nicer, but this works for now.

PlutoToo
08-25-2007, 10:04 PM
:) I made a square about 18 inches by 14 inches from scrap 1"x2". Then I made a sandwich of black cotton fabric on the show side, cotton quilt batting, and cheap muslin. I used a staple gun to attach the fabric sandwich. My husband's Pluto pins show up really well, and we enjoy looking at them all day. :thumbsup:

jkj1224
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
I buy prestreched painting canvases and then use spray adhesive to attach inexpensive fabrics to the canvas...it looks good and it makes them easy to hang on the wall, just like putting up a picture.

TracyL
09-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Last time a similar thread went by, someone had the most brilliant solution in the universe to this challenge.

They took one big embroidery hoop and two smaller ones, mounted a sturdy black fabric in them, and hung them on the wall as a pin display. You'll never guess what shape they created with these three black circles.... :mickey:

I have a home office with a long desk and wall cabinets above. The back wall behind the desk is a great spot for a "backsplash", which I made with acoustic ceiling tiles cut to size and covered with fabric (I used Weld-Bond glue to hold the fabric to the tiles). You could do the same thing with a single ceiling tile, maybe put a basic wood frame around it to make it pretty. The only hard part is that AFAIK you can't buy one ceiling tile - you'd have to scavenge one from someone who was remodeling, or maybe get a group of pin fans who live close together to go in on a box (I want to say there's 10 to a case?). They're 2'x4' out of the box, I think. The material they're made of is perfect for sticking pins into - sort of like a bulletin board.

Clotho
09-18-2007, 02:30 AM
I want to be more creative, but I don't want to do the work. LOL Mine are all mounted on a large cork board, roughly grouped by theme. So my Tiggers are upper right, with my Stitch's below that. My fave attractions are grouped together, above my "memorable dates" grouping (first trip, New Years, Easter), which is above my parks buttons (get one for each park each time I visit), etc...

It's kind of a PITA to pry them off and move them around, let alone pry them ALL off and move them to creative groupings in some fancy frame. I have mental images of fabulousness...but never get around to getting motivated to do it. Besides. I don't have wall space for breaking them up. And my decor really does NOT support Disney pins. I have an ethnic/world/tribal/middle eastern slant mixed with shabby chic. Disney just don't fit.

KylesMom
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
We create a "Pin Collage" of each trip by purchasing an 11x17 shadow box with glass facing and inserting styrofoam covered with black felt, then placing the pins into the styrofoam. We've been doing this since 2000 and have a wonderful display in our "Disney Room". We also use some of the best squished pennies/quarters for filler in between some of the more elaborate pins. :mickey: The only problem is that our pin purchases seem to increase twofold each year!

mermaidmarian
09-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I love love love all of these suggestions! I am embarrassed to admit that it never even occurred to me to arrange my pins for display on the wall. I'm on my way to the craft store now!

missbunny
09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
We buy shadow boxes from Michael's and use either black felt or if the collection is small, Disney scrapbook paper. I have my Cinderella pins castle paper, my Thumpers on a forest paper.
We also group our pins by different categories like ones we bought during a particular vacation or themes like Haunted Mansion.
Our pressed penny collection is also mounted in a shadow box. We used black felt and caulk to hold them on.

Disneyatic
09-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I bought a customized cork board off Ebay for my daughter to display her pins.
It is lavendar with Tinkerbell decorations and she loves rearranging the pins on it!

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the cork part wasn't a very good color to show off the pins, I never thought about covering it with fabric!
I am going to look at it and see if I could cover it with a solid fabric that will show off the pins better!

I love the embroidery hoops in the shape of mickey idea!

crltkcagle
09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
i was going to ask this question today. I love all of the ideas. On my last trip I got into the pins bigtime and have plenty to display. i was trying to think of a creative way to display my pins too. I did buy the picture with the pins that was being sold last week and have displayed my boys mouse ears on top of it with their names showing. keep the good ideas coming.