PDA

View Full Version : Florida Resident One Day Ticket..No more Discount??

RemyzCookin'1976
08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Help! I am a Florida resident and I only want to take my family to Disney for one day..we don't have the time or $$$ to go for longer..but yesterday someone told me that as a Florida Resident, you can no longer get a discount on the 1-day ticket at the gate! Is this true? Why would they do this? Does anyone else think this is really upsetting? And is there any way to still get the discount? I need immediate help! :bang:

DizneyRox
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Discounts are offered when there is a need to get people interested in something. You can not always count on a discount being available.

For example, day old bread. Why would you buy day old bread at the same price as fresh bread. Stores may discount the day old bread to make you think hmm... Maybe the day old bread is good enough for what I need.

Another example would be if say Disney needs to attract more people into the parks, or the hotels for any given time frame. Florida resident APs worked like this. They have black out dates, which happen to coincide with the dates that have been historically speaking, high volume time frames. You sell the Florida Resident AP at a discount over the normal AP knowing that those poeple DO NOT have access to the parks those days.

The same would hold true for the one day tickets. Sure, sometimes it nice to have tolocals show up, and if a discounted ticket helps them decide to visit, then great. Unfortunately (for FL residents), attendence has been through the roof, so disney doesn't need you guys to help fill the parks. Full price folks are the ones illing the parks, and are happy to do it.

If this keeps up, you can be sure that the Fl. Resident AP will go away as well, and maybe Fl Resident discounted rooms, etc.

It's part of doing business... After 9/11 they needed Florida Residents to help fill the parks, now they don't. So much for loyalty, huh?

bleukarma
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Discounts are offered when there is a need to get people interested in something. You can not always count on a discount being available.

For example, day old bread. Why would you buy day old bread at the same price as fresh bread. Stores may discount the day old bread to make you think hmm... Maybe the day old bread is good enough for what I need.

Another example would be if say Disney needs to attract more people into the parks, or the hotels for any given time frame. Florida resident APs worked like this. They have black out dates, which happen to coincide with the dates that have been historically speaking, high volume time frames. You sell the Florida Resident AP at a discount over the normal AP knowing that those poeple DO NOT have access to the parks those days.

The same would hold true for the one day tickets. Sure, sometimes it nice to have tolocals show up, and if a discounted ticket helps them decide to visit, then great. Unfortunately (for FL residents), attendence has been through the roof, so disney doesn't need you guys to help fill the parks. Full price folks are the ones illing the parks, and are happy to do it.

If this keeps up, you can be sure that the Fl. Resident AP will go away as well, and maybe Fl Resident discounted rooms, etc.

It's part of doing business... After 9/11 they needed Florida Residents to help fill the parks, now they don't. So much for loyalty, huh?

You can use a FL resident annual pass any time you want, no black out dates. It's just offered to "us guys" at a discounted price. A FL resident season pass has black out dates, and those are dates that I wouldnt want to be at anyway because the park is full.

FL residents still get a discount on one day tickets. Regular admission to WDW is $71 but our price is $63.90. I don't think Disney will ever get rid of a FL resident discount, no matter how busy the park gets. Why drive away the people that have the ability to come more often? It wouldn't make sense to me.

DizneyRox
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
You can use a FL resident annual pass any time you want, no black out dates. It's just offered to "us guys" at a discounted price. A FL resident season pass has black out dates, and those are dates that I wouldnt want to be at anyway because the park is full.

FL residents still get a discount on one day tickets. Regular admission to WDW is $71 but our price is $63.90. I don't think Disney will ever get rid of a FL resident discount, no matter how busy the park gets. Why drive away the people that have the ability to come more often? It wouldn't make sense to me.
Sorry, I meant seasonal AP...

The reason they would get rid of it, is they do not need to let people in at a discounted rate. People are more than happy to fill up the parks at $71 a day, why let them in for $63. It's corporate greed, not your friendly good neighbor deciding these things...

bleukarma
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I meant seasonal AP...

The reason they would get rid of it, is they do not need to let people in at a discounted rate. People are more than happy to fill up the parks at $71 a day, why let them in for $63. It's corporate greed, not your friendly good neighbor deciding these things...

I see what you're saying, but if they get rid of the FL resident discount I won't be going there much anymore, and I'm sure a lot of other FL residents won't either. A discount is what we are used to and taking it away wouldn't be smart. I would think they would rather get $63 then $0. I think Disney is happy when the parks are filled to capacity and on those days it's not just out-of-state people that are there. FL residents make up a lot of their everyday traffic and even though we save $8 on a ticket we still have to eat, drink and possibly buy a friend a gift while we're there. I think Disney is smart enough to know that it's good marketing to forfeit $8 to make up more of it in the end. Even though I live close enough to drive over sometimes I still spend money on a resort to get the whole Disney experience. Usually when I do spend my $$ to stay on property I do it when there is a FL resident discount. Without the discount then I would just drive home after the fireworks. I'm sure Disney would rather have that extra (discounted) money then nothing.

DizneyRox
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Correct, however there's a point that the bean counters already have figured out to maximize the profits.

For example, 100 people at $63 is about the same as 90 people at $71. That's 10 less people, but the same amount of guaranteed revenue. We can debate other expenses, but it's tough, I can say they won't buy anything, you can say they will, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Some might argue that 90 people is less than 100, so the lines would be shorter providing a better experience to the guest. When you're happy, you are more likely to open up the purse. There may be less cleanup after 90 people than 100, so maintenace costs go down, etc.

Others would say there's 10 more people buying Mickey bars and light up swirly toys.

In my twisted mind, locals would on average spend less than tourists, just because you're closer. Food could be a toss up, but when you can eat at home before or after the park, I think you'll be less likely to eat at the park. When you've got a nice warm bed at home (or cool since we're talking about Florida), you're not spending money on a bed.

If I were a gambler, my money is that the tourists are the safer bet.

mttafire
08-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Correct, however there's a point that the bean counters already have figured out to maximize the profits.

For example, 100 people at $63 is about the same as 90 people at $71. That's 10 less people, but the same amount of guaranteed revenue. We can debate other expenses, but it's tough, I can say they won't buy anything, you can say they will, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Some might argue that 90 people is less than 100, so the lines would be shorter providing a better experience to the guest. When you're happy, you are more likely to open up the purse. There may be less cleanup after 90 people than 100, so maintenace costs go down, etc.

Others would say there's 10 more people buying Mickey bars and light up swirly toys.

In my twisted mind, locals would on average spend less than tourists, just because you're closer. Food could be a toss up, but when you can eat at home before or after the park, I think you'll be less likely to eat at the park. When you've got a nice warm bed at home (or cool since we're talking about Florida), you're not spending money on a bed.

If I were a gambler, my money is that the tourists are the safer bet.

I agree. Disney for SURE knows EXACTLY what they're doing. Honestly..Im willing to bet that the NON- Disncount will hardly keep many locals away. They may complain but the vast majority will keep on going.:thumbsup:

mttafire
08-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Help! I am a Florida resident and I only want to take my family to Disney for one day..we don't have the time or $$$ to go for longer..but yesterday someone told me that as a Florida Resident, you can no longer get a discount on the 1-day ticket at the gate! Is this true? Why would they do this? Does anyone else think this is really upsetting? And is there any way to still get the discount? I need immediate help! :bang:

Not to be rude but..No i dont find it upsetting.
I didnt see the diference of not getting a one day discount as a bank breaker. Obviously everyone likes a discount but no use to complain about it. At one time Kings Island amusement park in Cincinnati, Ohio DID give 20% off to Ohio residents. They do not anymore. The difference was like 15.00. For me it wasnt something to get upset about. If i had to worry about not being able to afford NOT getting a discount..Then maybe i should be spending my money with more priorities.Just my 2 cents. Not to offend. Im just giving my resonse to your question.:mickey:

bleukarma
08-24-2007, 04:20 PM
It just wouldn’t be smart marketing to get rid of the FL resident discount. The word “discount” gets people every time, whether it be at a theme park or a department store. That is why FL residents are currently paying the price of what regular admission used to be….we are getting our prices at a “discount”. While the tourist may want shorter lines, Disney does not. When there are hour long waits then there are full parks which equals $$, no matter how you figure it out. Disney wants 100 people, not 90. They want their guests to be happy, but without losing those extra guests. Get rid of the Fl resident “discount” and you lose guests, plain and simple. I think the OP can agree with me, had Disney got rid of that “discount” then he would think twice about taking his family. Disney doesn’t want to see that.

RemyzCookin'1976
08-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Not to be rude but..No i dont find it upsetting.
I didnt see the diference of not getting a one day discount as a bank breaker. Obviously everyone likes a discount but no use to complain about it. At one time Kings Island amusement park in Cincinnati, Ohio DID give 20% off to Ohio residents. They do not anymore. The difference was like 15.00. For me it wasnt something to get upset about. If i had to worry about not being able to afford NOT getting a discount..Then maybe i should be spending my money with more priorities.Just my 2 cents. Not to offend. Im just giving my resonse to your question.:mickey:

No offense taken.:mickey:.I completely see your point...but when you have three kids and two of them are over 9 (adult tickets) 15 dollars extra per ticket becomes a lot..especially when you're working part time :unsure:
what does everyone else think? Do you think taking away the discount is unfair?

DizneyRox
08-24-2007, 07:44 PM
... Disney wants 100 people, not 90. ...

That's debateable...

Longer lines also means that people aren't shopping. It's the whole reason FastPass was invented. When you're not waiting in a line (approaching three hours on some attractions) you're NOT buying souveniers, Mickey Bars, or sitting down in a nice overpriced restaurant.

I don't think taking away discounts is necessarily unfair. Disney has the right to do whatever they want. I understand that and as a consumer I am the one who decides if it's worth it anymore. I have decided that $11 a ticket isn't worth it for movies, or $20 isn't worth it for one song on a CD. I also have a decision to make on where to spend my vacation time. More and more the answer points towards NOT Disney.

BMan62
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but pretty much anyone outside of FL is going to say "NO."

Those of us outside FL have to not only come up with the non-discounted ticket price, but also airfare (gas money if driving,) lodging, dining, etc.

Heck, we're envious of FL residents that they get a chance to make a 'day trip' now and then, discount or no discount!

mttafire
08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
No offense taken.:mickey:.I completely see your point...but when you have three kids and two of them are over 9 (adult tickets) 15 dollars extra per ticket becomes a lot..especially when you're working part time :unsure:
:thumbsup: I also understand your side. I hope you can still goto Disney.:mickey:

magicofdisney
08-25-2007, 04:19 AM
My family has seasonal passes. Last week a friend of mine went and she was going to pick up a day pass. She's a FL resident and at the ticket window, she was told FL residents no longer get a discounted one day ticket. I wish we knew where bleukarma is getting tickets from because it certainly was happening at the TTC. They did talk her into getting the 3 day play pass.

My concern is that seasonal passes will go away. That's how my family gets to enjoy so much Disney Magic.

MouseHead
08-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but pretty much anyone outside of FL is going to say "NO."

Those of us outside FL have to not only come up with the non-discounted ticket price, but also airfare (gas money if driving,) lodging, dining, etc.

Heck, we're envious of FL residents that they get a chance to make a 'day trip' now and then, discount or no discount!

There are a large number of Florida residents [especially western panhandle residents :( ] who have to travel for 8+ hours to make a trip to DW :ack: .....hardly a day trip....just thought I would share this :secret: :D

ILoveLegos
08-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I may be wrong, but to my knowledge there hasn't been a one-day discounted Florida pass in years. Either that or Disney really promotes the 3-day-pass so much that you don't even think about asking for a one day pass. (It's in the paper, on billboards and on T.V. - everywhere you look when a promo is on). Of course during crowded times of the year - there just is no "special" to be had, as others have so amply put it already in this post.
P.S. - when I first bough my home in Florida circa 1994 and onward (around the year 2000 I think) I fondly remember the play-4-day pass for well under $100 bucks, ah - those were the days! Oh well, inflation takes its toll. :(

mickeysworld
08-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure how soon you are interested in going but if you have some time, you can still get a pre-arrival discount, $63.90 adults/$54 kids, then add tax to that. Hope that helps.

We took our visiting neice for one day (the day after the ticket price increase) and paid the full price for a one day ticket $71 adult/$60 kid, because the cast member informed us that the "Florida resident at the gate" discount would no longer be available as of the day of the price increase, had we come the day before we could have gotten the "at the gate" discount.

So, hopefully you can pre-order your tickets and still go!

bleukarma
08-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I wish we knew where bleukarma is getting tickets from because it certainly was happening at the TTC.

The official Disney website. :thumbsup: If you click on FL resident and put in your zip code and then click tickets it brings up the $63.90 1 day ticket price. If they are making FL residents pay full price at the gate then I am not aware of it.

Discounts are out there for non-residents too. Everything from free dining to pin cards. I'm happy when I see anybody saving money, I wish people would stop being jeolous of FL residents, it's just not nice.

Goofygal003
08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Here's my question...if the one-day florida discount ticket is still offered online, why is it no longer offered at the gate? Clearly, Disney has not taken away the discount, just the fact that you could grab your family and run to the park for the day on a whim if you lived nearby...if Disney wants to keep luring in nearby florida residents, what on earth is the point of taking away the florida resident one-day pass at the gate? Surely Disney has its reasons, but I cannot think of what they are. Especially since (I assume) you can still purchase 3 day passes at the gate.

DizneyRox
08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Here's my question...if the one-day florida discount ticket is still offered online, why is it no longer offered at the gate? Clearly, Disney has not taken away the discount, just the fact that you could grab your family and run to the park for the day on a whim if you lived nearby...if Disney wants to keep luring in nearby florida residents, what on earth is the point of taking away the florida resident one-day pass at the gate? Surely Disney has its reasons, but I cannot think of what they are. Especially since (I assume) you can still purchase 3 day passes at the gate.
I always think of a higher "at the door" price being more of a poor plannning penalty. The reasoning is, if you can't plan ahead and still want to go, then you pay more. What else are you going to do, not go? Yeah right, you're already there!