PDA

View Full Version : Just Questions... "Retro" Rockets.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

drummerboy
08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
ooooooooo whump. Ouch.

Okay, we safely passed through the time warp and have landed in 1955. Your hosts Pogo and Drummerboy will be glad to be your tour guides for this excursion. If you have any questions, please ask. In the meantime, put on your Davey Crocket coonskin caps and wait for the TV to warm up for the Mickey Mouse Club.

Would anybody like some cool refreshing Kool-Aid? Let me see if the ice trays have frozen yet.

drummerboy
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Oh, we'll do our best to get everybody back to the future by October. 'K?

Mickey'sGirl
08-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Born on a mountain top in Tennessee,
Greenest state in the land of the free.
Raised in the woods so's he knew ev'ry tree, Killed him a b'ar when he was only three.

Davyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

Did you konw that we listen to this song EVERY morning on our way to daycare? Did you know that you must ask.... What kind of spell? :cap:

dlpmikki
08-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Gosh - the great unknown - the time before I was born! Is there anything worth doing way back then? And Pogo and Ken - this is your life???!!! :thedolls::D

offwego
08-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh, we'll do our best to get everybody back to the future by October. 'K?
But I'm leaving in September! What am I going to do?

Gosh - the great unknown - the time before I was born! Is there anything worth doing way back then? And Pogo and Ken - this is your life???!!! :thedolls::D

Too bad they won't be able to post pics...since it's pre digital! and by the by Jenn I can't say I've ever heard that song..so I guess your safe on the lyrics

Christine
08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Sweet! This is where I was meant to be!

Let me get my Donna Reed hair-do fixed just right and my pearl necklace and I will get back to my housework!!

Anyone wanna get a soda at the malt shop this afternoon??

offwego
08-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Let me get my Donna Reed hair-do fixed just right and my pearl necklace and I will get back to my housework!!

Sure..right after you explain the meaning of that word "house work". It sounds a little offputting. Would we get poodle skirts too or is that the wrong era?

Mickey'sGirl
08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Que Sera Sera ---- While I do love Doris Day and Donna Reed -- can't say I'm a fan of the era overall -- huge VOID in the music world. I have a great imagination though....so I'll work with that. :D Do I have to wear pearls?

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 02:46 PM
ooooooooo whump. Ouch.

Okay, we safely passed through the time warp and have landed in 1955. Your hosts Pogo and Drummerboy will be glad to be your tour guides for this excursion. If you have any questions, please ask. In the meantime, put on your Davey Crocket coonskin caps and wait for the TV to warm up for the Mickey Mouse Club.

Would anybody like some cool refreshing Kool-Aid? Let me see if the ice trays have frozen yet.

Wow! Let me grab my poodle skirt and my Mickey Mouse ears! Hey! Can someone add some color to that tv screen? Wow! There's not a Walgreens on every corner! And where's all the Chinese restaurants? This era is sure different!

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee,
Greenest state in the land of the free.
Raised in the woods so's he knew ev'ry tree, Killed him a b'ar when he was only three.

Davyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

:sing:
One, two, three o' clock , four o' clock, rock
Five, six, seven o' clock, eight o' clock, rock
Nine, ten, eleven o' clock, twelve o' clock, rock
We're gonna rock around the clock tonight

Put your glad rags on and join me, hon'
We'll have some fun when the clock strikes one

{Refrain}
We're gonna rock around the clock tonight
We're gonna rock, rock, rock, 'til broad daylight
We're gonna rock, gonna rock around the clock tonight

When the clock strikes two, and three, and four
If the band slows down we'll yell for more

When the chimes ring five, and six, and seven
We'll be rockin' up in seventh heav'n

When it's eight, nine, ten, eleven too
I'll be going strong and so will you

When the clock strikes twelve we'll cool off then
Start a-rockin' round the clock again

:dance: :trio:

Gosh - the great unknown - the time before I was born! Is there anything worth doing way back then? And Pogo and Ken - this is your life???!!!

Um, that's what I'm wondering... there's no cable... no computers...no cell phones... no video games... hmmm... I do see a rope and a tire... guess we can make a tire swing from that tree over there...

Can I play a song on the juke box?

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Sure..right after you explain the meaning of that word "house work". It sounds a little offputting. Would we get poodle skirts too or is that the wrong era?

Yep, poodle skirts were the fad in 1955! Along with bobby socks and those ugly shoes... hmmm.. Nat, I forsee you hijacking the rv and hauling butt back to 2007...

Que Sera Sera ---- While I do love Doris Day and Donna Reed -- can't say I'm a fan of the era overall -- huge VOID in the music world. I have a great imagination though....so I'll work with that. :D Do I have to wear pearls?

How can you say there's a huge void in the music world? The 50's is when Rock was birthed!

Only if you are doing housework... if your not doing housework then the pearls are not necessary...

offwego
08-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Wait a sec here..no cell phones? Does this mean dialing is done with those round things? I could break a nail! This may not work..how many posts to get Ken to get us back to the future? (oh and does this mean we get to meet Micheal J. Fox?):cloud9:

offwego
08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Along with bobby socks and those ugly shoes... hmmm.. Nat, I forsee you hijacking the rv and hauling butt back to 2007...

UGLY SHOES??? What forseaken place are we in? What did I do? Ken..please say it ain't so!

Christine
08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Alright now, let's all calm down. Yes, there are no computers, cell phones, modern couture...

BUT, there are also no computer gliches/ spam or identity theft, no outrageous cell phone bills or dropped calls, no kids walking around half naked or with their pants down to their knees and boxers showing!

So I for one welcome this change!

Now, I guess since bunko hasn't been invented yet, I'll start a bridge club! Who's in???

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Wait a sec here..no cell phones? Does this mean dialing is done with those round things? I could break a nail! This may not work..how many posts to get Ken to get us back to the future? (oh and does this mean we get to meet Micheal J. Fox?):cloud9:

UGLY SHOES??? What forseaken place are we in? What did I do? Ken..please say it ain't so!

You got it! It's only DIAL phones... and no, MIchael J. Fox was not born yet either...

OH NO!!! I warned you that Nat would have a fit! Someone better smuggle some 2007 fashionable shoes back to the past for Nat or else she'll be changing history.... I can see her pushing Martin Luther King aside...

"Let us not wallow in the valley of ugly shoes, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of having nothing but ugly shoes, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these shoes to be stylish, that all shoes are not created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the wearers of former ugly shoes and the wearers of more fashionable shoes will be able to sit down together at the table of shoehood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of fashionable shoes.

I have a dream that my little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their shoes but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

Can't somebody stop her?

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 03:13 PM
HEY!!!THERE IS A REDEEMING GRACE HERE...

This is the year that Disneyland opened.. back in July!!!! Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Ken.. can we please please please go? Please! Walt himself is still alive and well!

offwego
08-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Alright now, let's all calm down. Yes, there are no computers, cell phones, modern couture...

BUT, there are also no computer gliches/ spam or identity theft, no outrageous cell phone bills or dropped calls, no kids walking around half naked or with their pants down to their knees and boxers showing!

So I for one welcome this change!

Now, I guess since bunko hasn't been invented yet, I'll start a bridge club! Who's in??? I'll give you the pants thing..but I'm not good at cards so Bridge won't help. And giving up my cell phone could cause mental scarring (did they have mental scarring in the 50's?)

"Let us not wallow in the valley of ugly shoes, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of having nothing but ugly shoes, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these shoes to be stylish, that all shoes are not created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the wearers of former ugly shoes and the wearers of more fashionable shoes will be able to sit down together at the table of shoehood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of fashionable shoes.

I have a dream that my little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their shoes but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

Can't somebody stop her?

[SIZE="5"]
This would work even though I'm Canadian? Somehow I'm not sure it would work...perhaps I could just speak before him? Maybe even head off the whole 60's beehive hairdo thing while we are here..hey we could stop polyester!! Guys wearing shirts undone to their navels! This may not be so bad after all.

Mickey'sGirl
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Yep, poodle skirts were the fad in 1955! Along with bobby socks and those ugly shoes...
How can you say there's a huge void in the music world? The 50's is when Rock was birthed!
Actually -- saddle shoes are the one redeeming feature! Love 'em and always have! Sorry -- I absolutely hate everything about 50's music including the KING .... while I appreciate what it contributed to modern good music ... listening to it makes my ears bleed.

This is the year that Disneyland opened.. back in July!!!! Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Ken.. can we please please please go? Please! Walt himself is still alive and well!You're warming me up to it......

Maybe even head off the whole 60's beehive hairdo thing while we are here..hey we could stop polyester!! Guys wearing shirts undone to their navels! This may not be so bad after all.Now.....don't go too far. I don't think you want to be heading off the 60's (says she who is listening to the Hairspray soundtrack as she types). IMHO -- good music skips decades -- It seems to be good in the even decades and horrific in the odd ones..... Anyone agree? :D

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
This would work even though I'm Canadian? Somehow I'm not sure it would work...perhaps I could just speak before him? Maybe even head off the whole 60's beehive hairdo thing while we are here..hey we could stop polyester!! Guys wearing shirts undone to their navels! This may not be so bad after all.

HEY! You're right... we could REALLY change the course of history here! What else can we stop from happening?

offwego
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Now.....don't go too far. I don't think you want to be heading off the 60's (says she who is listening to the Hairspray soundtrack as she types). IMHO -- good music skips decades -- It seems to be good in the even decades and horrific in the odd ones..... Anyone agree? :D
Sorry Jenn..I'm not doing away with the decade just some fashion don'ts. You can have the music if you like. So does this mean the 70's don't do it for you? I heard that pina colada song last night and just about died laughing in the car. Mind you I'm no musical expert since I'm a big hip-hop dance fan which apparently is bizzare.

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Actually -- saddle shoes are the one redeeming feature! Love 'em and always have! Sorry -- I absolutely hate everything about 50's music including the KING .... while I appreciate what it contributed to modern good music ... listening to it makes my ears bleed.
You're warming me up to it......
Now.....don't go too far. I don't think you want to be heading off the 60's (says she who is listening to the Hairspray soundtrack as she types). IMHO -- good music skips decades -- It seems to be good in the even decades and horrific in the odd ones..... Anyone agree? :D

Hmmm... I actually LOVE the music of the 50s AND the 60s...grew up hearing all my mom's records... I own several of those "Billboards Top Hits of the 19--'s" cd's. Back then you could actually understand what was being sung.. lyrics actually made sense. Yep, maybe this won't be so bad after all...

Hey... was my question left behind?

Mickey'sGirl
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry Jenn..I'm not doing away with the decade just some fashion don'ts. You can have the music if you like. So does this mean the 70's don't do it for you? I heard that pina colada song last night and just about died laughing in the car. Mind you I'm no musical expert since I'm a big hip-hop dance fan which apparently is bizzare.
Now you are really scaring me! :hide2: My husband enjoys 70's music .. and that's his perogative .... when he is alone. I love 40's swing, 60's Motown and the Beatles, 80's New Wave and the current alternative stuff..... I also have an extensive Classical music selection (my favourite being Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi) ... Have you ever seen that Singing Bee show? I hardly recognize the names of any of the artists let alone the songs! So if you like Pina Coladas...... :sing:

Christine
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Sorry -- I absolutely hate everything about 50's music including the KING ....

Man, you're cruisin' for a bruisin' ! ;)

Who's got my hula hoop?

offwego
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Now you are really scaring me! :hide2: My husband enjoys 70's music .. and that's his perogative .... when he is alone. I love 40's swing, 60's Motown and the Beatles, 80's New Wave and the current alternative stuff..... I also have an extensive Classical music selection (my favourite being Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi) ... Have you ever seen that Singing Bee show? I hardly recognize the names of any of the artists let alone the songs! So if you like Pina Coladas...... :sing:
Ok..so "hear" goes..I'm with you on the 60's mowtown..you need to define the new wave a little more clearly there. And the classical stuff is not so much my thing. And yes I like the Singing bee show and do quite well. (do you like Pina Colodas, and getting caught in the rain, a verse that's not family friendly..come with me and escape..the rejoiner is better...I'm not much into health food, I am in to champagne)

Does this mean your not a meatloaf fan?

Who's got my hula hoop?
Now that would be mighty fine!

Jasper
08-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Did someone say poodle skirts? My wife has them for sale or rent. How many do y'all need?

Nascfan
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
How the heck did we get to two pages already? In what, a couple hours? Holy cow! ;)

Have an awesome weekend everybody!

offwego
08-24-2007, 04:43 PM
How the heck did we get to two pages already? In what, a couple hours? Holy cow! ;)

Have an awesome weekend everybody!

there is some typing ...and some quoting..and some worrying about fashion, then music.

Oh was that not a request? Have a great weekend Scott & Jasper!

Dsnygirl
08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
COLOR="SeaGreen"]"Let us not wallow in the valley of ugly shoes, I say to you today, my friends.

I have a dream today!

:funny:

Wow... I feel like I'm in the middle of a "Happy Days" episode!! Although, compared to most of what's on TV these days, that's a welcome change... :D

So - when are we off to a Sock Hop?? And I think I need to go do a little :shop:... none of what I packed is appropriate here.... :blush: Anyone want to go with me??

drummerboy
08-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Man, I barely got the RV parked and hidden and we're already up to two pages.

Christine, looking at your avatar, I can see you in your pearls and pageboy.

Would we get poodle skirts too or is that the wrong era?I was going to say the wardrobe is in the RV, but Jasper stepped in with an offer.

-- huge VOID in the music world. Do I have to wear pearls?
Void?! It was the dawn of rock. You may have to wrestle Christine for the pearls.

This is the year that Disneyland opened.. back in July!!!! Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Ken.. can we please please please go? Please! Walt himself is still alive and well!
Only if you don't ask "Are we there yet?" a thousand times. And remember, there's no air conditioning in the car, so you'll have to wear a scarf around your hair to keep it from getting mussed.

did they have mental scarring in the 50's?
Maybe even head off the whole 60's beehive hairdo thing while we are here..hey we could stop polyester!! Guys wearing shirts undone to their navels! This may not be so bad after all.
We had air-raid drills. They made us hide under our desks so the atomic bomb wouldn't hurt us.

Have you ever seen that Singing Bee show? I hardly recognize the names of any of the artists let alone the songs!
That show seems unreal somehow (well, even more unreal than most "reality" shows). Unless they're doing oldies, I have no idea what the words should be. We quit watching after the first few.

So, anybody else up for a malted besides Christine?

drummerboy
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I think I need to go do a little :shop:... none of what I packed is appropriate here.... :blush: Anyone want to go with me??
Actually, we wore natural fabrics, women were wearing whatever those half shorts-half long pants are (Calypso pants?), and men were wearing their hair short the way a lot of men do now. ('Course, I've had to hide the ponytail under a hat so I won't get funny looks.)

Is the television warmed up yet?

Christine
08-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Almost! Stop hitting it and fix the bunny ears. If you stand in "the spot" we'll be able to see Ozzie and Harriet more clearly!

Maybe it'll be ready by the time I peel the foil off our Swanson tv dinners!!

Oh look...who is this pulling up the driveway in their brand new Edsel??? :drive:

disneydeb
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Hey!

At my school next Wednesday we are Celebrating tthe Happy Days of Reading with a sock hop and a Hula-Hoop contest, Face Painting, Story-Telling, a Reading Walk, etc.

Why don't ya'lll come on down!? We'll have a blast!

After the kiddos are pick up that day, we get things ready and the parents come back with the kiddos for the fun.

We teachers work hard, don't we? :D

ElenitaB
08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Do I get to be 2007 Ellen or 1955 Ellen :baby: ?

Who needed A/C in the car? We had 460 air conditioning: 4 windows open at 60 mph... worked great!

Saddle shoes were my favorite, worn with a shirt, plaid skirt and socks that had to match one of the colors in the skirt EXACTLY. Of course, that wasn't until the 60's.

Don't remember too much about the 50s TV except for Davy Crockett, Bonanza, Ed Sullivan, and of course, kid's shows like the Mickey Mouse Club (thought Annette was the best), Kukla Fran & Ollie, Captain Kangaroo, and Howdy Doody.

Can I have a fried chicken TV dinner?

Caroleh
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Now, I guess since bunko hasn't been invented yet, I'll start a bridge club! Who's in???

Are we building bridges in th Bridge club? One that'll take us back to 2007?

The good thing about it being 1955 is I'm not born yet!!!

Sorry -- I absolutely hate everything about 50's music including the KING .... :D

I like 50's music, just not the KING. Buddy Holly's plane crashed approximently 40 miles from where I was born and raised. Every year they have a tribute to him, Richie Valen and the Big Bopper. The Crickets still come to play. The last time I went home to Iowa, we drove past the Surf Ballroom. We had to show it to the DH. How about listening to a little La Bamba for Richie?

disneydrmr
08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Only if you don't ask "Are we there yet?" a thousand times. And remember, there's no air conditioning in the car, so you'll have to wear a scarf around your hair to keep it from getting mussed.

We had air-raid drills. They made us hide under our desks so the atomic bomb wouldn't hurt us.

So, anybody else up for a malted besides Christine?

Ok, I promise to not ask if we are there yet. Can I at least ask to stop for a potty break every 5 miles? Hmmm.. I thought the scarf was used for the ponytail?

Ummm... I really don't think hiding under a desk would protect you from an atomic bomb. Did you have the underground bomb shelter in your backyard also?

I'll take a malted! As long as I can put a coin in the juke box...

Almost! Stop hitting it and fix the bunny ears. If you stand in "the spot" we'll be able to see Ozzie and Harriet more clearly!

Maybe it'll be ready by the time I peel the foil off our Swanson tv dinners!!

Don't you need to put the foil around the ends of the bunny ears? And maybe Ken needs to stand on one leg and point an arm out the window.. and then if Alex would grab the other bunny ear and stand on his head with Pogo holding his legs while he hops on one leg...

I thought the mothers back then cooked everything from scratch? Please don't tell me I came all this way from the future and all we're gonna eat is TV dinners....

alpro2
08-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey...who hid the remote for the color, I mean black and white TV? The color and the remote just seemed to diappear. :confused: Why does my CD player say "Victrola"?

Dsnygirl
08-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi everybody... just zooping in from work for a moment -- it's a little busy tonight. (Do we still "zoop" in the 1950's??)

How was everyone's malted? I missed out... :( ... I love them. I'll join in next time, okay??

I hope you all are having a good Friday night -- I'll check in later! :D

disneydeb
08-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Wow I forgot how long it took to get something to cook! My meatloaf, mashed potatos and peas were good, but took too long prepare! Now, who wants to wash the dishes?:D

Caroleh
08-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey...who hid the remote for the color, I mean black and white TV? The color and the remote just seemed to diappear. :confused: Why does my CD player say "Victrola"?

Wasn't there something you could put on your screen to make the TV colored..it was blue red and yellow...or was that in the 60's?

I haven't seen that penguin around here, though...did Pogo miss the RV ride and is stuck in 2007?

Since we're in 1955, is our RV now that silver thingy that looks like a toaster?

Beast_fanatic
08-25-2007, 01:26 AM
I got stuck doing the Time Warp. :blush:

Can I get a guided tour of this decade? I've never seen it before either (other than reruns on TV).

pogo
08-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Okay, we safely passed through the time warp and have landed in 1955. Your hosts Pogo and Drummerboy will be glad to be your tour guides for this excursion.
You want me to be a co-host ? :faint:

Thank you Big Guy.... I'll try not to disappoint you.

Gosh - the great unknown - the time before I was born! Is there anything worth doing way back then? And Pogo and Ken - this is your life???!!!
Ah Mikki..... you have so much to learn about the Fifties....... It was a special time in our lives. B&W TV..... Uncle Miltie..... And wonderfull music. I listen to the Fifties channel on my XM radio in my new car.

Anyone wanna get a soda at the malt shop this afternoon?? You've got the right idea !

Sure..right after you explain the meaning of that word "house work". It sounds a little offputting. Would we get poodle skirts too or is that the wrong era?OK.... Natalie will have the hardest time with this...... Women didn't work out side the home too much back then. It was an insult to her husband is she had to work. And even if she did, it was probably as a telephone operater or a secretary, not the job with the kind of power that you have, for sure.

My Mom was at home having Babies and raising the kids, while Dad was working two jobs to make ends meet.

Que Sera Sera ---- While I do love Doris Day and Donna Reed -- can't say I'm a fan of the era overall -- huge VOID in the music world.
Cousin..... how can you say that ? For the first time I can say you are dead wrong. Elvis, Chuck Berry, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Tennesee Ernie Ford, and Bill Hayes were selling huge numbers of records.... yes, Mikki, those old black things.

Wow! Let me grab my poodle skirt and my Mickey Mouse ears! Hey! Can someone add some color to that tv screen?

Can I play a song on the juke box?
I'm proud of you Diane.... you've got the sprit.

You can play the Jukebox..... here's a nickel..... but could you please play B-3 for me... it's Learnin' The Blues by Frank Sinatra. One of my favorites :thumbsup:

Now, I guess since bunko hasn't been invented yet, I'll start a bridge club! Who's in??? As I remember it, Christine, the games my Mom & Dad played were rummy, pitch, and pinocle (sp). But we wern't a "high class family"

HEY!!!THERE IS A REDEEMING GRACE HERE...

Right again. But..... "we can't go because we really don't have the money to do that, and it's so far to drive..... and I'm not flying in one of those airplanes." I remember Mom saying that to me. :(

You're warming me up to it......
Now.....don't go too far. I don't think you want to be heading off the 60's (says she who is listening to the Hairspray soundtrack as she types). IMHO -- good music skips decades -- It seems to be good in the even decades and horrific in the odd ones..... Anyone agree?
Come on Cousin.... good music is in the ears of the beholder. You've heard the King so much you're not giving anything a try. The fifty's influenced the music of the sixties and seventy's, and yes... even today.

I'm sure you love songs like White Christmas, Only You, Unchained Melody, Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, Love and Marriage. These were all hits in 1955. :D

ElenitaB
08-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Ummm... I really don't think hiding under a desk would protect you from an atomic bomb. Did you have the underground bomb shelter in your backyard also?

I thought the mothers back then cooked everything from scratch? Please don't tell me I came all this way from the future and all we're gonna eat is TV dinners....
That's what they tried to tell us in school! (But that really wasn't until the 60s).

In our house, TV dinners were a huge TREAT. My mom did cook every night and then once in a blue moon, we'd have TV dinners or go out for Chinese food. My dad did work two jobs back then (they bought our house and moved out to the suburbs in the late 50s when I was a toddler); my mom went back to work when I was in elementary school. By the 60s, lots of women were in the workforce; rejoining after having left in the late 40s and early 50s to raise babies once their husbands returned from WWII (at least that's the way it was in my neck of the woods).

Well, enough zooping in for me this morning... off to RFC and to go shopping! :spend:

pogo
08-25-2007, 11:53 AM
You got it! It's only DIAL phones... and no, MIchael J. Fox was not born yet either...

OH NO!!! I warned you that Nat would have a fit! Someone better smuggle some 2007 fashionable shoes back to the past for Nat or else she'll be changing history.... I can see her pushing Martin Luther King aside...

I'm sorry Diane.... that speech wasn't until the sixty's..... 1963 to be exact.

Who's got my hula hoop?
Sorry..... I borrowed it. Here you go. Hey.... your pretty good at that !:D

Do I get to be 2007 Ellen or 1955 Ellen :baby: ?

Don't remember too much about the 50s TV except for Davy Crockett, Bonanza, Ed Sullivan, and of course, kid's shows like the Mickey Mouse Club (thought Annette was the best), Kukla Fran & Ollie, Captain Kangaroo, and Howdy Doody.

You can be Ellen from today, but you have to act like Ellen's in 1955. And sorry to say, very few people had TV dinners back then so you'll have to go to the market and buy your chicken and come home and cook it. Chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and biskets...... Mmmmm.

I'll take a malted! As long as I can put a coin in the juke box..
I already said you could. :D

Wow I forgot how long it took to get something to cook! My meatloaf, mashed potatos and peas were good, but took too long prepare! Now, who wants to wash the dishes?:D But back then you had all day to cook it.... you weren't working.

...did Pogo miss the RV ride and is stuck in 2007?

I had to hitch hike to catch up. Back then you could hitch hike without felling like you were going to be killed.:D

I got stuck doing the Time Warp. :blush:

Can I get a guided tour of this decade? I've never seen it before either (other than reruns on TV).
Hang on Rhonda.... I'm trying. :thumbsup:

See you all later..... don't forget that NBC has a new show starting tonight.... called Gun Smoke. It's supposed to be good. :D

Beast_fanatic
08-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Tom, do you actually remember all of this stuff first-hand?

pogo
08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Tom, do you actually remember all of this stuff first-hand?
Way too much. How old do you think I am ? :D

Caroleh
08-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh my gosh...I must be really caught in this time warp thing...I left the apartment this AM as brunette with blond highlights and came home a redhead!!! Now the DH is calling me Lucy!!!

I really see a problem here..I don't think belly dancing was accepted in the 50's with all the censor's on TV. Oh my, what am I going to do?

dlpmikki
08-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Way too much. How old do you think I am ? :D

Isn't your real name Methuselah? ;)

Christine
08-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I really see a problem here..I don't think belly dancing was accepted in the 50's with all the censor's on TV. Oh my, what am I going to do?

How about the twist?

Caroleh
08-25-2007, 04:17 PM
How about the twist?

That'll work!!! Okay give me my poodle skirt, saddle shoes and white shirt!!! Anyone want to go to the hop?

Nascfan
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
That'll work!!! Okay give me my poodle skirt, saddle shoes and white shirt!!! Anyone want to go to the hop?

Are we having a sock hop? Can we Rock Around the Clock? What time does the drive-in movie start? Can we hit the snack bar first? :D

Caroleh
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Are we having a sock hop? Can we Rock Around the Clock? What time does the drive-in movie start? Can we hit the snack bar first? :D

What is the drive-in movie tonight?

Speaking of Drive-Ins, my DH and I we're driving around one saturday night recently and actually found a drive-in!!!!

disneydeb
08-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm telling you guys, My school is having a sock-hop this Wednesday AND there is a Quadraplex drive-in theater about 6 miles from my house.
Yep, life is good here in Tennessee :D
Would you believe we even had rain last night and it was below 100º today?:party:
I wasn't cooking back in 1955, but my parents were. My mom taught school from 1949 - 1979. In fact in the early 50's, mom taught in the school I teach in today.:D
What were your parents doing in the 1950's,everyone?:)

Dsnygirl
08-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi all - just zooping in again quickly to say hi from work - it's not too bad tonight, but enough to keep me busy. Which is a good thing, as I'd really prefer to be home w/ my DH and the girls.... it's Julia's 9th b'day tomorrow, and I'll miss quite a bit of it, as I need a long sleep to come back here tomorrow night. :( But - my MIL came out to visit, and she and Dan are taking the girls to the Fair for the day, and then Julia chose whatever she wanted for dinner -- Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza and a chocolate chip cookie cake for dessert - that's my girl!! Yummmy and easy!! :D We're celebrating her birthday next weekend in Marineland, so she's not minding the smaller celebration tomorrow - I've just never had to be "gone" on her big day. :(

So - I'm just hoping tonight and tomorrow zip by, and then we can play. :D

How's everyone else doing tonight??

Caroleh
08-25-2007, 10:01 PM
My mother was just finishing high school...she was married to my dad in 1955, had my DB in '56, me in '57 and my other brother in '59. My DF was...get this...the milkman!!! He drove his milk truck to the different farms and picked up the milk in the old big milk cans!!!

Next?

Christine
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh Blythe, I'm sorry you are not going to get to be with your DD for her whole birthday weekend...that stinks! :( But try to think of it this way...your career helps OTHER moms and babies on THEIR birthdays! So you're kind of spreading that love to others! Does that help or make sense at all? I know what I mean in my head, but sometimes have trouble getting it out.

Is anyone else so sick of finances that they could just scream??? I have been battling my budget all day and I stretched it so far it snapped! I hate money! (Or should I say the LACK thereof?) :thedolls:

Beast_fanatic
08-25-2007, 11:43 PM
In the fifties, my parents divorced other people, met and married each other, and had my older brother. I didn't come around until the next decade though.

Christine, I thoroughly understand snapping the budget. With all the things that have gone on this year (a/c unit, toilet flood, and now problems on hubby's side of the family), our budget is so thin that you can see through it. I've even considered giving up our October Disney trip. I haven't given it up, but I've considered it.

So what is playing at the drive-in? I know this movie won't be released for over 50 years, but I still haven't seen Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix.

disneydeb
08-26-2007, 12:15 AM
In the fifties, my parents divorced other people, met and married each other, and had my older brother. I didn't come around until the next decade though.

Christine, I thoroughly understand snapping the budget. With all the things that have gone on this year (a/c unit, toilet flood, and now problems on hubby's side of the family), our budget is so thin that you can see through it. I've even considered giving up our October Disney trip. I haven't given it up, but I've considered it.

So what is playing at the drive-in? I know this movie won't be released for over 50 years, but I still haven't seen Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix.
Ok, you asked didn't you?:thedolls:
The Invasion
7:50 PM
PG-13

Borne Ultimatum
After First Show
PG-13

--------------------------------------------------------
Screen II

Super Bad
R

I Know Who Killed Me
After First Show
R

--------------------------------------------------------

Screen III

Rush Hour 3
PG-13

Hairspray
After First Show
PG

I guess it is a Tri- Plex instead of a Quad.

It's a good deal though. You get in to see a double feature for only $5.00 a head.
In the consession stand they have roasted corn now. I hear it has been so hot the roased corn is pulled straight from the plants in the field next to the drive-in. Yep, we do things a little differently here in Tennessee :D

Which movie do we want to see?:D

Christine
08-26-2007, 12:32 AM

Rhonda, thanks for helping me realize I'm not alone! I too toyed with the idea of not going in October, but as I have now convinced my good friend to come too, I pretty much have to go! I know it will be worth it, definitely, I just hope that one week doesn't cost me a months!
Anyway, thanks again for the support!

So, how was the sock hop? I stayed home and washed my hair! Isn't that 1955 slang for "I couldn't get a date?"

Dsnygirl
08-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Oh Blythe, I'm sorry you are not going to get to be with your DD for her whole birthday weekend...that stinks! :( But try to think of it this way...your career helps OTHER moms and babies on THEIR birthdays! So you're kind of spreading that love to others! Does that help or make sense at all? I know what I mean in my head, but sometimes have trouble getting it out.

Is anyone else so sick of finances that they could just scream??? I have been battling my budget all day and I stretched it so far it snapped! I hate money! (Or should I say the LACK thereof?) :thedolls:
Christine, thank you so much - that definitely makes me feel better! I hadn't thought of it that way!! :thumbsup:

Ditto on the finances thing... it just seems that no matter how much you modify your finances, stuff comes up that makes things tight - esp. when you don't want it to happen!! :(

I hope you all are sleeping well... I'd say "sleeping like babies", but none of the babies here are sleeping tonight!! We've got a bunch of fussy ones right now... not too much is making them happy.

Who's got the coffee in the morning? I'll supply the pancakes or french toast -- Dan's making bkfst when I get home, and I'm sure there'll be plenty to share! :D

Caroleh
08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Anyone up for coffee?

I finally slept soundly last night. I just love(insert sarcasm) insomnia...I guess that's what we get when we get older.

Sorry, you have to miss your DD's birthday, Blythe. I remember when I missed my DD's birthday for the first time, it was really hard.

Beast_fanatic
08-26-2007, 01:21 PM
What's for lunch? I can't seem to think of anything that sounds good. We've had tex-mex twice this weekend, pasta once, and sandwiches once. I'd say burgers, but we're having those tonight. Maybe Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches with a side salad? That sounds pretty good.

dlpmikki
08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
We had a village Gala day today. Maybe because of / despite the good weather there were not as many people as some years.

I am a bit depressed. Look on the DVC board if you want to know why. I feel very let down by Disney. Any suggestions for cheering me up? :(

drummerboy
08-26-2007, 08:44 PM
How about the twist?
Not invented yet. The censors were even too shocked by Elvis' hip swinging to let him be shown from the waist down.

In 1950 they were having me. After that it went downhill. :D My mother was stay-at-home and my father was traveling by the late 50s and eventually meeting my now step-mother.

Is anyone else so sick of finances that they could just scream??? I have been battling my budget all day and I stretched it so far it snapped! I hate money! (Or should I say the LACK thereof?)

I too toyed with the idea of not going in October, but as I have now convinced my good friend to come too, I pretty much have to go!
Unfortunately, we had to cancel the Oct. trip. I know everything is relative, but my income this year is less than half what it was two years ago, and our outgo is higher, especially after DW had another back surgery last year about this time.

I stayed home and washed my hair! Isn't that 1955 slang for "I couldn't get a date?"
No. "That's the night I have to wash my hair" was slang for "I wouldn't go out with you on a dare." I usually wanted to go out with girls who had clean hair anyway.

I'm back from DGS's 4th birthday weekend. DGD #1 had a soccer game this afternoon, so we got to sit out in the hot sun and watch that. Did enjoy getting to see them all again though.

Who's responsible for putting those tailfins on the RV?

disneydeb
08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Christine and Ken,
Most of us have been in financial pinch you may be feeling now. I has been more years than I care to count since I have had a Disney vacation or any vacation my husband and I have paid for ourselves. Due to my illnesses and surgeries, we too have felt the financial squeeze. I missed Disney so much that thankfully I found Intercot. I began posting to help rehabilitate my left hand after my stroke. My hand still stutters a bit too often.
I wish I had some words of wisdom, but all I can do is offer a hug to two very dear friends. I've come to respect and anticipate your friendly posts. You will get through the trying times and come out a stronger person because of it.
Ken, I'm glad you like the fins. Don't you like the fuzzy dice too?

Beast_fanatic
08-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Is tomorrow the first day of school for anyone out there? Most schools around here start tomorrow which means my school zone free commutes are gone. Guess I'd better get up a few minutes earlier tomorrow.

marlyn
08-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi, I just finished 2 busy shifts and only have enough energy fo a quck hello. So we are in the 50s now? Cool....or should I say Groovy?

marlyn
08-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Is tomorrow the first day of school for anyone out there? Most schools around here start tomorrow which means my school zone free commutes are gone. Guess I'd better get up a few minutes earlier tomorrow.

We don't go back until Sept 4th...always the day after Labor Day. Do you have labor day in the US?

ElenitaB
08-26-2007, 11:49 PM
I am a bit depressed. Look on the DVC board if you want to know why. I feel very let down by Disney. Any suggestions for cheering me up? :(
Would a DeeVeeCee voodoo doll help?

My dad worked as an airplane electrician at different Air Force bases (first here in Brooklyn at Floyd Bennett Field and then later at Mitchel Field on Long Island). My mom was stuck at home with two br... (er), darling children. We moved out to the burbs in '57 and then my dad took on a second night/weekend job to keep up with the house payments.

Hi, I just finished 2 busy shifts and only have enough energy fo a quck hello. So we are in the 50s now? Cool....or should I say Groovy?
Wrong decade for "groovy." You have to wait to the 60s for groovy to mean something other than the description of a surface with indentations.

What's for lunch? I can't seem to think of anything that sounds good. We've had tex-mex twice this weekend, pasta once, and sandwiches once. I'd say burgers, but we're having those tonight. Maybe Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches with a side salad? That sounds pretty good.
We had Wendy's for lunch today... I had my usual baked potato and small chili. It's my normal "WW-compliant" meal from there. Probably too high in carbs for you though, right?

My houseguest leaves tomorrow. This girl knows how to SHOP! Definitely a member of Costa Rica's Olympic Shopping Team. And she'd win a medal too. :thumbsup: We're getting bagels in the morning... anyone want some?

P.S. Christine, Ken and Rhonda, you're not alone in the budgetary mire. I'm actually looking for a second job myself. I've thought about cancelling our cruise but can't bring myself to do it. My finances have gotten in a real mess since ex-DH passed away... After I called to report his passing, Sear's put me down as deceased and their probate lawyers told me that the account was closed, but lo and behold a regular bill arrived yesterday. So tomorrow I'll call and make sure that I get to speak to a supervisor.

Dsnygirl
08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Hey everybody... I know you're all asleep, but it's my first chance to check in since last night, so I thought I'd zoop in for a moment. You all were pretty quiet today!!

We had a nice mini-celebration w/ Julia when I got up and they all got back from the Fair... I think she enjoyed her day quite a bit. And she still gets a celebration w/ my DH's side of the family this upcoming wknd in Buffalo, so that probably helped, too!

We don't go back until Sept 4th...always the day after Labor Day. Do you have labor day in the US?
Yup... always the first Monday in Sept. My girls go back to school on the 5th... here in NY, it's always the 1st Wed. after Labor Day. They are counting the days -- they're really looking forward to school this year. I'd like to believe it's for the learning, but really, it's just that they're going to a new school, and it doesn't have uniforms -- can you say new clothes fanatics??? They've been so funny in the stores... I think they believe they need an outfit for each and every day. Must be a girl thing... :blush:

I hope you all had a nice weekend - I'm just glad mine is almost over, and that I don't have any 3-day stretches coming up any time soon, esp. over a weekend! :)

Who's making coffee this morning? Could you save me a cup, please?? I'll be needing it, I think....

disneydeb
08-27-2007, 06:37 AM

Well, we (our students) began August 1! But my system goes year round. That is the only reason I can go to the 10 anniversary bash in October. We will be enjoying our fall break then.
We will celebate Labor Day by having a day off.
Have a great day all!

alpro2
08-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Mornin'! On my way to mosquito haven. Jenn and Nat, I hope you sprayed for bugs. Do I need my snow boots?

pogo
08-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Good morning all...... Aren't you glad it's Monday ? We finally can get back to work. :yay:

Today is a real workday for me with meetings running on and off through the day. My last one is in Farmington (Blythe knows where this is) at 6:30 this evening and I won't get home untill around 8:00.

I also understand the financial delema part of life. Our last trip wasn't supposed to happen until April, 2008. But when you have as many deaths of family and friends in a five week period it makes you not put things like WDW off another year..... you might not be there to enjoy them.

We'd love to be at the 10th Meet, but it was not even close to reality for us so if you can make it work, God bless you. Go and enjoy. :D

pogo
08-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Mornin'! On my way to mosquito haven. Jenn and Nat, I hope you sprayed for bugs. Do I need my snow boots?
Are you making a stop in Rochester on the way ? I'll by lunch. :D

alpro2
08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Are you making a stop in Rochester on the way ? I'll by lunch. :D
How high can you toss a sandwich? :D

pogo
08-27-2007, 07:31 AM
How high can you toss a sandwich? :D Well..... I do have a big slingshot. How high does it need to go ? :D

Caroleh
08-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Good Morning everyone!!! I think I'm going to have an interesting day at work. I guess on Saturday a water pipe burst and the debit machine went down!!! I get to see if my store is still in one piece...gee whiz, I only took one weekend off!!! It'll be a good week though...only 3 days and off to Ottawa for a couple of nights for a mini vacation!!

Coffee anyone?

Caroleh
08-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Don't you know we have to use our snow shoes year around? We have healthy mosquitos also, they live in the snow!!!

Mickey'sGirl
08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
How high can you toss a sandwich? :DAS long as he ain't tossin' cookies -- we'll be all right!

Good Morning everyone!!! I think I'm going to have an interesting day at work. Oh Carol ... I really needed you yesterday. I have spent 4 days cutting and pinning and sewing a Sorcerer Mickey robe for Euan (and with Arthritic hands that is no small feat let me tell you) -- I really bungled the bottom hem. I hope I can figure something out! I managed the hood ok (and I am really proud!) -- but a straight hem blew me away!

Mornin'! On my way to mosquito haven. Jenn and Nat, I hope you sprayed for bugs. Do I need my snow boots?I'll bet it will be pretty clear now Alex -- there was quite a storm that passed through on Saturday.... I hope your stay in the northland is bug free ... and no, I don't think you need your snow boots. You're silly!

Don't you know we have to use our snow shoes year around? We have healthy mosquitos also, they live in the snow!!!He doesn't need any encouragement! Did you warn him about the Bear wasps?:D

Christine
08-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Olivia is THRILLED that today is her first day of school...although it got off to a rocky start:

Sometime yesterday, she decided she was hot, and (dum dum dummmmmm :scared:) TOUCHED THE THERMOSTAT!

Last night when I went to bed, I told JOhn I was cold...he said he was too, but probably just b/c we had each taken our showers and had wet hair. This morning, we woke up STIFF from trembling all through the night. John went upstairs to check the thermostat and lo and behold it was set on 48 degrees! I can't believe our unit didn't totally crater! So she got quite a lecture this morning. What a way to start the day! :rolleyes:

So, I am off to work.

Who else has purchased their Illuminations tickets this morning???

Mickey'sGirl
08-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Sometime yesterday, she decided she was hot, and (dum dum dummmmmm :scared:) TOUCHED THE THERMOSTAT! :rolleyes:
You will need to have the heat on in your car Christine! I hope you thaw out! It reminds me of a story about my brother and his girlfriends yellow bra -- and my mother's request for him to turn up the heat .... :funny: But that's for another day!

DH just ordered our tickets! So we'll see you there? I hope so!!

offwego
08-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Actually, we wore natural fabrics, women were wearing whatever those half shorts-half long pants are (Calypso pants?), and men were wearing their hair short the way a lot of men do now. ('Course, I've had to hide the ponytail under a hat so I won't get funny looks.)

Do you mean Capri's? Calypso is music..Pallazzo pants are wide legged long pants and guacho are capri length and wide. All clear now?

Captain Kangaroo, and Howdy Doody.

Was it the same Captain in the 70's?

OK.... Natalie will have the hardest time with this...... Women didn't work out side the home too much back then. It was an insult to her husband is she had to work. And even if she did, it was probably as a telephone operater or a secretary, not the job with the kind of power that you have, for sure.

Goodness...Where are the keys Ken? Can one zoop out?

Oh Is anyone else so sick of finances that they could just scream??? I have been battling my budget all day and I stretched it so far it snapped! I hate money! (Or should I say the LACK thereof?)
Sorry to hear this Christine. Have you tried one of those budget tracking journels for misc. cash? It can often force one to relook at your budget (take out in particular is a huge $$ user upper)

Anyone up for coffee?
.Always!

I haven't looked yet but would looking at some of your old trip reports help? Or perhaps an hour of two of volunteer work? I always find that working with those who have problems larger then mine makes mine even smaller then they may be.

Christine and Ken,
I began posting to help rehabilitate my left hand after my stroke. My hand still stutters a bit too often.
I wish I had some words of wisdom, but all I can do is offer a hug to two very dear friends. I've come to respect and anticipate your friendly posts. You will get through the trying times and come out a stronger person because of it.
I had no idea about this Deb..hugs to you for sharing this with us.

My houseguest leaves tomorrow. This girl knows how to SHOP! Definitely a member of Costa Rica's Olympic Shopping Team. And she'd win a medal too. :thumbsup: We're getting bagels in the morning... anyone want some?.
I love bagels...see if Alex can bring it with him.

Mornin'! On my way to mosquito haven. Jenn and Nat, I hope you sprayed for bugs. Do I need my snow boots? Uggs are so two years ago.

. I have spent 4 days cutting and pinning and sewing a Sorcerer Mickey robe for Euan (and with Arthritic hands that is no small feat let me tell you) -- I really bungled the bottom hem. I hope I can figure something out! I managed the hood ok (and I am really proud!) -- but a straight hem blew me away!
Well Jenn since I can't sew on a button that's pretty impressive to me!

Christine
08-27-2007, 08:58 AM

I'll be there!!! Can't wait! Is it wrong to be more excited about the desserts than the fireworks??? :secret: :blush:

Mickey'sGirl
08-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I'll be there!!! Can't wait! Is it wrong to be more excited about the desserts than the fireworks??? :secret: :blush:
I'm more excited about the special guests .... Euan will croak if it is the Mouse! Illuminations is my favourite show (it makes me cry every time!) What is yours?:thumbsup:

offwego
08-27-2007, 09:02 AM
You will need to have the heat on in your car Christine! I hope you thaw out! It reminds me of a story about my brother and his girlfriends yellow bra -- and my mother's request for him to turn up the heat .... :funny: But that's for another day!

Which day? I think I want to be here for that one.

Christine
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm more excited about the special guests .... Euan will croak if it is the Mouse! Illuminations is my favourite show (it makes me cry every time!) What is yours?:thumbsup:

Special guests??? Will they also bring desserts??? :D

Wishes is my absolute favorite, but Illuminations is right up there... Fantasmic is too. All three can make me cry!

disneydrmr
08-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Morning everyone! Sounds like there's a need here for some budget pixie dust... I'm with all of you. My Dh and I are struggling also. Ever since his car accident/job loss/break in/doggie sickness/car break downs... yep... I REALLY wanna go to WDW next November (08) for our 15 year anniversary but our finances just don't appear to be leading us that way... maybe we should all go in on a lotto ticket? :D

I'm really sleepy today so I just skimmed over all the weekend posts... if I miss out on anything I'm sorry...

Alex - have a safe and fun trip to the Great North.

Christine - hope you thaw out quick! Glad your pipes didn't freeze!

Jenn - can today be another day.. that yellow bra story sounds a bit intriguing...

Mikki - sorry about your troubles... would a :grouphug::hug: help?

drummerboy
08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Deb, I know how serious strokes can be, having gone through FIL's troubles, but you had me laughing with the comment about your left hand stuttering.

Did everyone have your Wheaties for breakfast? Did you remember to skim the cream off the top of your milk bottle? Did you even remember to bring the milk bottle in from the front porch? I can remember milk deliveries being made even into the 60s.

Mickey'sGirl
08-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Did you even remember to bring the milk bottle in from the front porch? I can remember milk deliveries being made even into the 60s.My parents tell stories of how the milk was delievered by horse and cart to them (this was right down in the city too --) The milkman also let the children have their pictures taken with his horse -- and you know what? My parents have pictures on the same horse -- and they lived in very different parts of the city! Can someone skim the stuff off the top of my milk please? It makes me want to :ack:

disneydrmr
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Did everyone have your Wheaties for breakfast? Did you remember to skim the cream off the top of your milk bottle? Did you even remember to bring the milk bottle in from the front porch? I can remember milk deliveries being made even into the 60s.

My parents tell stories of how the milk was delievered by horse and cart to them (this was right down in the city too --) The milkman also let the children have their pictures taken with his horse -- and you know what? My parents have pictures on the same horse -- and they lived in very different parts of the city! Can someone skim the stuff off the top of my milk please? It makes me want to :ack:

Um, I think I'll skip on the milk and just drink some orange juice (they did have orange juice in the 50's didn't they?)

Hey Christine - are you sure your daughter is in school? I think she may have snuck into my office building... it's freezing in here...:freeze:

pogo
08-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Did everyone have your Wheaties for breakfast? Did you remember to skim the cream off the top of your milk bottle? Did you even remember to bring the milk bottle in from the front porch? I can remember milk deliveries being made even into the 60s.Yes I did.... it was swell ! :thumbsup:

One of the jobs my Dad had was working in a milk plant. He had to be at work by 5:30 AM every day to help the farmers dump the milk cans. Then he'd pasturize, homogenize and bottle the milk for delivery. They had two milk delevery trucks that would deliver the very fresh milk early the next moring and pick up the empty milk bottles for cleaning and refilling.

The other job my Dad had was tending bar. Do you think this is where I get my urges for :marg: & :beer: comes from ? :D The hours for that job was from 8:00 PM until closing, last call was at 2:00 AM. He did this for six days a week for as long as I can remember.
He would sleep from about 3:00 AM until 5:00 AM, work at the milk plant, come home at 4:00 PM, nap, eat dinner and leave for work at the bar.

Can someone skim the stuff off the top of my milk please? It makes me want to :ack: I will Cousin..... My Mom would skim the cream off the top and make butter with it ! It was so good. :D

dlpmikki
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Where did you order them from? I want some! :muscles::muscles:

pogo
08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Where did you order them from? I want some!

May I be of service ? Here is your link to the Illuminations Party. (http://www.intercot.com/news/i10/party.asp) :D

Mickey'sGirl
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Where did you order them from? I want some! :muscles::muscles:
Go to the link on the home page and it will coach you through to the purchase phase! Did you hear that Hammer reserved a spot at the tea for me... right next to Figaro (so I can sneak him snacks:secret:)? I read about your un-magical experience. I am so sorry for your frustration!

dlpmikki
08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Thank you to everyone for sending me the link :D I have now ordered tickets but must have missed a stage where you list the names. Do you think John will accept a grovelling apology and a cross reference?

offwego
08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Go to the link on the home page and it will coach you through to the purchase phase! Did you hear that Hammer reserved a spot at the tea for me... right next to Figaro (so I can sneak him snacks:secret:)? I read about your un-magical experience. I am so sorry for your frustration!
Theres a tea? Silly anniversary being a week early is causing me to miss a tea? drat.

So do we have to wait till almost oct to leave the 50's? This could be tough.

And Pogo if that whole work thing is true then what about things like tupperware..didn't that count? I wasn't born till the 70-s so I'm pretty clueless on this decade (to be honest my parents would have been youngish too here)

pogo
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Thank you to everyone for sending me the link
You are welcome. I hope you have a great time ! :D

So do we have to wait till almost oct to leave the 50's? This could be tough.

And Pogo if that whole work thing is true then what about things like tupperware..didn't that count?
If the whole work thing was true ? Would I lie to you ? Well... not about that. Yes.... the work thing is true.

We did have Tupperware. I remember my Mom having a Tupperware Party just to get a free gift. My Dad wnet balistic because she spent $2.00 on a "plastic" bowl. Back then we rarely had leftovers from dinner and had no use for tupperware.

Oh and here's another tough one for you. Somebody want to call the :medic: for Natalie before I go any further? Very few women had more than a couple pair of shoes. One pair for every day and one pair for church on Sunday.

:sorry:

offwego
08-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Oh and here's another tough one for you. Somebody want to call the :medic: for Natalie before I go any further? Very few women had more than a couple pair of shoes. One pair for every day and one pair for church on Sunday.

[/CENTER]

As the kids would be wont to say today...Shut up! Seriously? What about all that talk about Saddle shoes..were you all leading me down the garden path? What about hats and gloves and stuff. Jeepers creepers. Ken where are the keys (they did have keys in this dismal decade right?)

Jasper
08-27-2007, 01:54 PM

Wow, our kids have already been back in school for two weeks already! Of course our kids also are finished in the spring the week before Memorial Day. Am I correct in assuming that yours don't get out until a week or two after that?

pogo
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
As the kids would be wont to say today...Shut up! I knew this was going to upset you..... you can't even speak properly !

What do you mean by that ? :confused:

Seriously? What about all that talk about Saddle shoes..were you all leading me down the garden path? What about hats and gloves and stuff. Jeepers creepers. Ken where are the keys (they did have keys in this dismal decade right?) Nope.... saddle shoes were in for the teens but a grown woman like yourself rarely wore them. And I think it was Jenn that mentioned them, right Cousin ? :D

Jasper
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Just to set the scene for everyone, things like saddle shoes, poodle skirts, DA's, jeans and all the other funky fashion and hair styles of the 50's were almost always the domain of the youth.

When adult women went out for dinner and a movie or any other "nice" evening out they normally wore a nice dress, often with polka dots that were made popular by Lucille Ball, and nice pumps. Men wore some type of plain cloth pant along with a nice button down shirt, often plain white, along with a simple tie, often black. Wether a jacket was required for a man depended on where they were going. Oh, I almost forgot that a hat was generally considered a mandatory accessory for both men and women when they went out.

Of course there were also some adults who "broke the fashion rules" but not often, the '50's were definately a decade of conformity. According to some historians I have read this was because of a backlash to the "uncertainty" of the '40's which was caused by WWII. Historians also say it was because so many men had served in the war and had the "military" ethic drummed into them and carried that over into their civilian life. Of course this decade of conformity also then led to the chaos backlash of the late '60's early '70's culture.

Does anyone have a question I can borrow? I was so busy lecturing that I forgot to ask one!!

drummerboy
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Just to set the scene for everyone, things like saddle shoes, poodle skirts, DA's, jeans and all the other funky fashion and hair styles of the 50's were almost always the domain of the youth.
Don't forget the mandatory white T-shirt with the cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve.

Men wore some type of plain cloth pant along with a nice button down shirt, often plain white, along with a simple tie, often black. Wether a jacket was required for a man depended on where they were going. Oh, I almost forgot that a hat was generally considered a mandatory accessory for both men and women when they went out.
The suit jacket was pretty much mandatory even for going out to the movies or a show.

Of course this decade of conformity also then led to the chaos backlash of the late '60's early '70's culture.
Chaos, what chaos? :D Unless of course you're referring to leisure suits, that's another thing.

Many thanks to our resident costumer for the historical clothing footnotes.

By the way, you should have seen me in my crewcut and shirt with the 'Lassies' all over it.

offwego
08-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I knew this was going to upset you..... you can't even speak properly !

What do you mean by that ? It's a phrase from the princess diaries...not to worry Pogo it means something like "are you kidding me? Seriously? No way?" combined with "your going to say your taking that back right, stop now, that's not funny" etc...not at all like shut up really is..confused yet?

When adult women went out for dinner and a movie or any other "nice" evening out they normally wore a nice dress, often with polka dots that were made popular by Lucille Ball, and nice pumps. Oh, I almost forgot that a hat was generally considered a mandatory accessory for both
I have a polka dot dress now but it's sleveless would that have counted? Pumps huh? Hat's maybe but I still say we need to find the keys around here somewhere. (Ken do you like peach pie? I make a mean peach pie...or how about brownies? Prime Rib? anything?)

Mickey'sGirl
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I still say we need to find the keys around here somewhere. (Ken do you like peach pie? I make a mean peach pie...or how about brownies? Prime Rib? anything?)
Do you think there was some kinda ultra cool resistance back then that we modern types could join? Pearls, pumps and hats...yeesh! :hide:

offwego
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Do you think there was some kinda ultra cool resistance back then that we modern types could join? Pearls, pumps and hats...yeesh! :hide:

I'm wondering...what happened to the suffregettes and rosie the riveter? Did they get june cleavered?

disneydrmr
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I have a polka dot dress now but it's sleveless would that have counted? Pumps huh? Hat's maybe but I still say we need to find the keys around here somewhere. (Ken do you like peach pie? I make a mean peach pie...or how about brownies? Prime Rib? anything?)

Hey Nat, I think you also need some of that secret time machine formula that Ken added to to the gas tank to get us here... and hey.. if you manage to get the keys and the formula can we set the clock back to arrive a few days before the day we left? That way we can 'stop' Ken from taking us back to the past that we just got back to the future from...

Hey.. even if there wasn't an ultra cool resistance to join.. well... we are here now.. couldn't we start one up? Change the course of history as the world knew it!!! HEY! Let's start leaving notes in different places.. warning people of things to come... and let's get a bunch of gas cans and fill them up.. did you know gas was only like 18 to 25 cents a gallon in this era.. think of the money to be made if we stock pile and take it back to the future! We could sell it for $2.00 a gallon and still make a fortune!

disneydrmr
08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm wondering...what happened to the suffregettes and rosie the riveter? Did they get june cleavered?

If my memory of history serves me correct, I believe the suffregettes were in the early 1900's and Rosie the Riverter was in the 1940's during the war times.

Is that correct Ken? Pogo?

drummerboy
08-27-2007, 04:59 PM
When Johnnie came marching home again, Rosie got sent home to make room for him in the workforce. (Sorry to mix eras there)

Anybody ready to call it a day? I think I lost the RV keys anyway.

offwego
08-27-2007, 05:06 PM
If my memory of history serves me correct, I believe the suffregettes were in the early 1900's and Rosie the Riverter was in the 1940's during the war times.

Is that correct Ken? Pogo?

Well yeah..but I'm trying to figure out how they could all runaway. I don't understand where they went in the 50's and how they came back in the 60-s and 70's.

On the plus side who wants to help me plan golf?

ElenitaB
08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Was it the same Captain in the 70's?
Yes, it was. Bob Keshan played Capt Kangaroo for three decades, and before that he was Clarabelle the Clown on Howdy Doody. (I really remember Howdy Doody really well because the actor lived behind my aunt's house in Westchester and his kid threw me into their pool in October! :mad: )

Oh my... between all of us crying, we might raise the level of the lagoon! (Illuminations is my favorite too!)

Did you even remember to bring the milk bottle in from the front porch? I can remember milk deliveries being made even into the 60s.
I don't remember the milk deliveries themselves but my mom (she-who-never-throws-anything-out) still has the metal box the milk was delivered to, on the backyard porch. Do you think I could sell it on eBay?

Nat, you have to PLAN golf? I thought you just swung the club. ;)

Caroleh
08-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh Carol ... I really needed you yesterday. I have spent 4 days cutting and pinning and sewing a Sorcerer Mickey robe for Euan (and with Arthritic hands that is no small feat let me tell you) -- I really bungled the bottom hem. I hope I can figure something out! I managed the hood ok (and I am really proud!) -- but a straight hem blew me away!
He doesn't need any encouragement! Did you warn him about the Bear wasps?:D
Jenn, I'll have to let you in on my 2 favorite products...because I HATE hems(so much that the DH takes his pants to the tailor to get hemmed)..first is hem fuser.press the hem up, put the hem fuser between the fabric and press...you have your hem. The next thing is if the item isn't going to be washed...peel and stick tape. I have peel and stick tape on one of the belly dance belts I made.

Went into work today and the debit machine was still down, so now we went wireless!! Water damage was at a minium..all I lost was 3 Disney Princess wall art kits...which the manager took to use with her scrapbooking when she goes to WDW in Dec.!!! How's that for luck?

disneydeb
08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
On the plus side who wants to help me plan golf?

Well, OK I'm a bit on the Plus side --so I guess I'll help with golf- even though I know NOTHING about it!:D
Did everyone sign up for the Illuminations meet?

Christine
08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey Christine - are you sure your daughter is in school? I think she may have snuck into my office building... it's freezing in here...:freeze:

Hey, once we drop her off at school, it's out of our hands! ;)

I have now ordered tickets but must have missed a stage where you list the names. Do you think John will accept a grovelling apology and a cross reference?

I bet he'll recognize Figaro...he'll let you in!

Wow, our kids have already been back in school for two weeks already! Of course our kids also are finished in the spring the week before Memorial Day. Am I correct in assuming that yours don't get out until a week or two after that?

We actually get out two days after Memorial Day. But we get very few holidays during the school year. :(

Did everyone sign up for the Illuminations meet?

You bet your sweet bippy! Wait...Laugh In wasn't around in the 1950's, was it? :secret:

pjbs35a
08-27-2007, 07:57 PM
OK, quick, what have I missed ???

Caroleh
08-27-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a question...for those of you going to the 10th anniversary get together...since Ken took us back to 1955, and WDW wasn't built yet, are your really just meeting in a swamp?

drummerboy
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
OK, quick, what have I missed ???
I took us back to 1955 because all the hot air on here was hastening the global warming and there is no such thing here in the 50s.

I have a question...for those of you going to the 10th anniversary get together...since Ken took us back to 1955, and WDW wasn't built yet, are your really just meeting in a swamp?
Now now, I promised to get everybody back in time for the October trip (and Nat in time for September if she quits whining and trying to shake me down for the RV keys. :thedolls:)

I think all us guys need to grow goatees and be hipsters, don't you? Actually, I think hippie and groovy came out of 50s terms hipster and in the groove.

Christine
08-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, as if things couldnt' get worse financially...

Today I found out that my job is no longer needed. He hired a full time assistant (I was an independent contractor doing his bookkeeping, filing, errands, etc). The assistant was only supposed to do packages for his loan submissions, but when that slowed down, he started doing my stuff too.

So now I am out of a job with a new house on the way and a WDW trip in a little over a month.

This ought to be interesting, huh?? :shrug:

dlpmikki
08-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Oh Christine, I really feel for you. I hope that this might lead to a better job around the corner. Lots of :pixie: for you.

The :pixie: you all gave me sorted my little problem out so I hope that it will also work on your bigger problem.

Ken, were there more jobs available in the 50s?

alpro2
08-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Well..... I do have a big slingshot. How high does it need to go ?
I saw a ham and swiss sandwich fly over the port side of the plane. :D

Where did you order them from? I want some!

Thank you to everyone for sending me the link :D I have now ordered tickets but must have missed a stage where you list the names. Do you think John will accept a grovelling apology and a cross reference?
Mikki, Mikki, Mikki...:shake:. Don't you work on these Boards?

Ordered my tickets. Who wants to sit next to me and watch the perty fireworks? :thedolls:

Hey, look at that Moose. Oh, it is a mosquito. Shew fly, shew! :hide2:

pogo
08-28-2007, 07:18 AM
So now I am out of a job with a new house on the way and a WDW trip in a little over a month.

This ought to be interesting, huh??
Christine....... have some faith in yourself. You are a very smart lady (you show it here everyday) and I'm sure you will end up making a lot more money than at this last job.
Here's a little extra :pixie: to help get you motivated to find the right job. When this happened to me a while back, I was recruited by Aflac. It turned my life around. Now I am President and CEO of my own insurance business. :D

I saw a ham and swiss sandwich fly over the port side of the plane. :D
It depends....... did it have mustard or mayo on it ? :D

Ordered my tickets. Who wants to sit next to me and watch the perty fireworks?
I'd love to, eh.... save me a seat, eh...... just in case I show up there, eh ? :D

alpro2
08-28-2007, 07:28 AM
I'd love to, eh.... save me a seat, eh...... just in case I show up there, eh ? :D
Eh? Are you Canadian too? :D

ElenitaB
08-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Good morning, all! Do we have more JQ people in Canada now than down here? Will this cause a shift in our orbit?

Well, it's bright and early and I'm ready to have DS start school again... but that won't happen until the Thursday after Labor Day. So he still gets to sleep in a few more mornings :alarm: DS does NOT like mornings unless it somehow involves WDW.

Christine, sorry to hear that happened. Here's some wonderful-job-attracting :pixie:

Who wants coffee? It's freshly brewed and pure Costa Rican. Good stuff!

Caroleh
08-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Christine, here's a little :pixie::pixie: to help you find a better job!!!

Didn't you know, Alex, that "eh" is a very contagious disease?

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Today I found out that my job is no longer needed.I am so sorry Christine. Helen Keller said "When one door of happiness closes - another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened before us." Here's some :pixie: so that you can find that new door. :hug:

The :pixie: you all gave me sorted my little problem out so I hope that it will also work on your bigger problem.That is terrific news Mikki!

Good morning, all! Do we have more JQ people in Canada now than down here? Will this cause a shift in our orbit?Too easy....too easy....too easy.... leave it alone Jenn. Say nothing. :D

Who wants coffee? It's freshly brewed and pure Costa Rican. Good stuff!Yes please! Brian's mom stayed over last night (she is looking after the boys today) and I am all jittery now..... Can I have a snack too? I didn't have a chance to eat my soggy Cheerios!

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Jenn, I'll have to let you in on my 2 favorite products...because I HATE hems(so much that the DH takes his pants to the tailor to get hemmed)..first is hem fuser.Hem fuser....Hem fuser.... Thanks Carol! If it works on a belly dancing belt, it should work on a sorcerer's robe, right?:thumbsup:

Christine
08-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the job-finding :pixie: and support, guys! I appreciate it! :grouphug:

I will be "pounding the pavement" this week. Think anyone will have a problem when I say that I will need vacation in 45 days?? :D

disneydrmr
08-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Morning all!

Christine.. :pixie::tink: Heres's some pixie dust for your job/finance situation...You know.. Pogo offered to hire me not too long ago... I"ll gladly step aside though and let you work for him...sounds like a wonderful job! 3 months paid vacation, full benefits that HE pays for, all the internet surfing time you want... yep! I do believe you would enjoy it and need it more than I do! :D

When this happened to me a while back, I was recruited by Aflac. It turned my life around. Now I am President and CEO of my own insurance business. :D

Oh! So you wear a duck suit all day and go around saying "Aflac" to people...will you come to my house and pay all my bills and order my chinese food? I promise not to get peking duck :D

drummerboy
08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Pogo offered to hire me not too long ago... sounds like a wonderful job! 3 months paid vacation, full benefits that HE pays for, all the internet surfing time you want... yep! I do believe you would enjoy it and need it more than I do!

Don't forget the daily golf game benefit. And didn't he say he took his employees to WDW once a year as a morale booster? Or did I just make that up? I get easily confused at my age you know.

Dsnygirl
08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Good morning, all!! I missed yesterday totally around here... slept 'til 3pm after working Sunday night, spent some time with my girls and my MIL and then headed out to the Fair with Dan for the evening, courtesy of my MIL staying an extra day!! :thumbsup: We had fun -- lots of good food, good music and we stopped in to see a few animals (I just can't resist the calves... one was just 2 weeks old and kept trying to nurse on my fingers... my DH was :ack: but I just laughed and said, "Hey... I'm a Labor & Delivery nurse... what do you want?? I'm used to babies doing this...." To which all the women laughed, and the men turned :sick:.... Anyway - it was a fun evening!! :D

I got ours this morning.... totally missed that link yesterday! I can't wait!!

Wishes is my absolute favorite, but Illuminations is right up there... Fantasmic is too. All three can make me cry!
Ditto.... :blush:

Thank you to everyone for sending me the link. I have now ordered tickets but must have missed a stage where you list the names. Do you think John will accept a grovelling apology and a cross reference?
Me too.... I noticed he just said to let him know if we missed it, so I PM'd him... I think a lot of people are missing it. Can't wait to see you there!!

Today I found out that my job is no longer needed. He hired a full time assistant (I was an independent contractor doing his bookkeeping, filing, errands, etc). The assistant was only supposed to do packages for his loan submissions, but when that slowed down, he started doing my stuff too.
Christine, I am so sorry to hear that... good luck this week!! I am sure you will find something quickly... sending you some job :pixie: to help!

I saw a ham and swiss sandwich fly over the port side of the plane.
Hey, look at that Moose. Oh, it is a mosquito. Shew fly, shew!
:funny:

Good morning, all! Do we have more JQ people in Canada now than down here? Will this cause a shift in our orbit?
Who wants coffee? It's freshly brewed and pure Costa Rican. Good stuff!
I'll take some of that coffee.... I didn't sleep too well last night, and I've got lots going on today. Thanks!!

I'll be in Canada this weekend... but by then, Alex will be gone, I'm sure, so the numbers ought to even out again.... we're headed to Marineland and Niagara Falls with my DH's family. Ought to be lots of fun... my neice and nephew are 4 and 2, and have so much fun with my girls... and did I mention I get to travel with our dog and the kitten??? :crazy: Our big cat, Calvin, gets kenneled b/c of his diabetes and the fact that he HATES being in a car... but Bailey always goes w/ us, and the kitten is just too little to leave alone or kennel... so he's going too. Ought to be interesting...

offwego
08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
(I really remember Howdy Doody really well because the actor lived behind my aunt's house in Westchester and his kid threw me into their pool in October! :mad: )
Nat, you have to PLAN golf? I thought you just swung the club. ;)I have to plan the event...you know the who and the where.

and let's get a bunch of gas cans and fill them up.. did you know gas was only like 18 to 25 cents a gallon in this era.. think of the money to be made if we stock pile and take it back to the future! We could sell it for $2.00 a gallon and still make a fortune! There's an easier way...just buy futures..really long term ones.

OK, quick, what have I missed ??? No rootbeer..but since we are in the 50's if you wait you can catch up.

Now now, I promised to get everybody back in time for the October trip (and Nat in time for September if she quits whining and trying to shake me down for the RV keys. :thedolls:)
Sorry Ken...have I mentioned how nice you are? Handsome etc? Smart? Professional? Talented? (gack :sick:)

Today I found out that my job is no longer needed. He hired a full time assistant (I was an independent contractor doing his bookkeeping, filing, errands, etc).
Sorry to hear this..good thoughts for job hunting on their way! Do you have any temp agencies in your area? Considering you (I think) still want your holidays they may be a good solution for you.

Good morning, all! Do we have more JQ people in Canada now than down here? Will this cause a shift in our orbit?Who wants coffee? It's freshly brewed and pure Costa Rican. Good stuff!
I always want coffee (as long as it's not nescafe) Canada is a nice place to visit once you get used to the off.

I'll be in Canada this weekend... but by then, Alex will be gone, I'm sure, so the numbers ought to even out again.... we're headed to Marineland and Niagara Falls with my DH's family. Ought to be lots of fun... my neice and nephew are 4 and 2, and have so much fun with my girls.
Sounds like fun. Will there be pictures too?

pogo
08-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Too easy....too easy....too easy.... leave it alone Jenn. Say nothing.
Wow........ I can't believe you passed up a chance at that one, Cousin.

Hem fuser....Hem fuser.... Thanks Carol! If it works on a belly dancing belt, it should work on a sorcerer's robe, right?
Do you think it might make Euan start belly dancing ? :D

I will be "pounding the pavement" this week. Think anyone will have a problem when I say that I will need vacation in 45 days??
As your friend, I think it's only fair tooffer the following..... if everything is already paid for, I think it is only right that I volunteer to use your tickets while you look for work. What do you think ? :D

Pogo offered to hire me not too long ago... I"ll gladly step aside though and let you work for him...sounds like a wonderful job! 3 months paid vacation, full benefits that HE pays for, all the internet surfing time you want... yep! I do believe you would enjoy it and need it more than I do!
You are REALLY pushing it to the limit, Diane !:mad:

Sorry Christine.... but I just hired a new employee yesterday. Besides.... you wouldn't want to move to Rochester anyways.

Oh! So you wear a duck suit all day and go around saying "Aflac" to people...will you come to my house and pay all my bills and order my chinese food? I promise not to get peking duck That is only one of the many companies I represent. But yeah.... I wear the duck suit from time to time. :D

Don't forget the daily golf game benefit. And didn't he say he took his employees to WDW once a year as a morale booster? Or did I just make that up? I get easily confused at my age you know. You are :old: and your mind might be playing tricks on you. :D

I'll be in Canada this weekend... but by then, Alex will be gone, I'm sure, so the numbers ought to even out again.... we're headed to Marineland and Niagara Falls with my DH's family. Ought to be lots of fun... my neice and nephew are 4 and 2, and have so much fun with my girls... and did I mention I get to travel with our dog and the kitten??? :crazy: Our big cat, Calvin, gets kenneled b/c of his diabetes and the fact that he HATES being in a car... but Bailey always goes w/ us, and the kitten is just too little to leave alone or kennel... so he's going too. Ought to be interesting... I hope you checked out the laws concerning bringing an animal into Canada. Also, I don't know if they will let Bailey into Marineland. Better find out !

I have to plan the event...you know the who and the where.

The Who is going to be there ? Cool..... I love their music. Can I come ? :D

offwego
08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
The Who is going to be there ? Cool..... I love their music. Can I come ? :D

Sure why not? But are there rules against ducks crossing the border?

Nascfan
08-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Christine, I'm sorry to read about your job. Sending more :pixie: for you. You're a very bright, wonderful person. Any employer would be lucky to have you.

Now what did I do with my question?

pogo
08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Sure why not? But are there rules against ducks crossing the border?
What makes you think I'd be wearing the duck suit ? :confused:

If I did, Alex would probably be wearing an Elmer Fudd suit, eh and would be trying to shoot me. :D

offwego
08-28-2007, 12:00 PM
What makes you think I'd be wearing the duck suit ? :confused:

If I did, Alex would probably be wearing an Elmer Fudd suit, eh and would be trying to shoot me. :D

You look like a rabbit in your duck suit? You need to get with Jasper and get a better costume my friend! But of course if your ever in the area your welcome to hit me up for a round of golf...

pogo
08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
But of course if your ever in the area your welcome to hit me up for a round of golf...
Thanks Natalie...... :hug:

Do you wear golf shoes or high heels when you play ? :D

offwego
08-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Natalie...... :hug:

Do you wear golf shoes or high heels when you play ? :D

neither! I drag out a pair of sneakers for it. (You didn't think I'd spend shoe money on golf shoes did you?)

pogo
08-28-2007, 12:19 PM
neither! I drag out a pair of sneakers for it. (You didn't think I'd spend shoe money on golf shoes did you?)
Who are really .... and what did you do with the REAL Natalie !

She would use ANY Excuse to shopping for shoes ! :D

Dsnygirl
08-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I hope you checked out the laws concerning bringing an animal into Canada. Also, I don't know if they will let Bailey into Marineland. Better find out !

Silly... I'll clarify... we are all spending the long wknd w/ my MIL in Buffalo, so the animals will reside there whilst we play for the day on Saturday in Canada. (Did I do that right, Jenn? :))

And Nat, I don't know for sure, but I've seen some pretty cool golf shoes out there recently... you might want to check 'em out! I'd be glad to go shopping w/ you... :shop: :spend:

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Silly... I'll clarify... we are all spending the long wknd w/ my MIL in Buffalo, so the animals will reside there whilst we play for the day on Saturday in Canada. (Did I do that right, Jenn? :))Beautiful! :thumbsup: You live close enough to the border to get it right baby!

BTW -- You just need to have proof of vaccination to take an animal over the border between the US and Canada.

Isn't this a long day?

offwego
08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
And Nat, I don't know for sure, but I've seen some pretty cool golf shoes out there recently... you might want to check 'em out! I'd be glad to go shopping w/ you... :shop: :spend:

But you have to wear them golfing..still a problem since I don't see why I should spend my money on golf stuff (buying the clubs was hard). If my boss wants me to have fancy shoes he can give me the cash for them (along with the lessons). Otherwise not so much. (hey a girl has to drawn the line somewhere...I take courses, go to community events, I'll even sit in dunk tanks but spend my money on golf stuff? nu-uh)

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I'll even sit in dunk tanks As in donuts and coffee, or oreos and milk?

offwego
08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
As in donuts and coffee, or oreos and milk?

As in the ones filled with nasty water, whilst people threw softballs at a target to dump you in and raise money for some charity or the other..Doesn't it sound like fun? I've even been thrown in "jail" for kidney research (you have to raise your bail money to get out)

pogo
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Silly... I'll clarify... we are all spending the long wknd w/ my MIL in Buffalo, so the animals will reside there whilst we play for the day on Saturday in Canada. (Did I do that right, Jenn? :))
I'm impressed by the proper use of the "whilst" thing. Aren't you Cousin ? :D

Isn't this a long day? Nope..... my new girl (think ugly Betty) needs a lot of training. I've been busy. :(

As in the ones filled with nasty water, whilst people threw softballs at a target to dump you in and raise money for some charity or the other..Doesn't it sound like fun? I've even been thrown in "jail" for kidney research (you have to raise your bail money to get out)
You're a real sport ! Are you sure that is why you were put into jail ????????? :D

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
As in the ones filled with nasty water, whilst people threw softballs at a target to dump you in and raise money for some charity or the otherYou're a better man than I! I won't even put my face in a public pool! I think I'd rather have the donut and coffee dunk if you don't mind. :coffee: Can I have a coffee please??

I'm impressed by the proper use of the "whilst" thing. Aren't you Cousin ? :DIt's really coming along. First I will have conquered the JQ thread -- then I will spread out to the rest of the boards!!! I have a purpose in life at long last!! ;)

offwego
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Nope..... my new girl (think ugly Betty) needs a lot of training. I've been busy. You're a real sport ! Are you sure that is why you were put into jail ????????? :D I feel your pain..my new girl and I are not quite seeing eye to eye yet. The doozy she made yesterday had me seeing :mad:
And yes since I had to collect the cheques payable to the kidney foundation (and the jail was in a mall)

You're a better man than I! I won't even put my face in a public pool!

It was pretty scary looking water I'll tell ya! Coffee sounds good but I don't like dunking stuff in it. Weird huh?

pogo
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
It's really coming along. First I will have conquered the JQ thread -- then I will spread out to the rest of the boards!!! I have a purpose in life at long last!! ;) And you will acomplish all this whilst I stand by watching ! :D

I feel your pain..my new girl and I are not quite seeing eye to eye yet. The doozy she made yesterday had me seeing :mad:

How can you be upset at a new person for making a mistake ? :confused: ( The only reason I said it was because I needed a question. )

offwego
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
And you will acomplish all this whilst I stand by watching ! :D

How can you be upset at a new person for making a mistake ? :confused: ( The only reason I said it was because I needed a question. )

One I could handle (or perhaps if it was attached to an ooops I'm so sorry) but not so much..anyway if yours is like Ugly Betty does that mean she's making you have an ethical tune up? Goodness your not behaving like the boss on that show are you? He's a bit of a tom-cat!

ElenitaB
08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Canada is a nice place to visit once you get used to the off.
:confused: Huh? Translation, please!

As in donuts and coffee, or oreos and milk?
Now look what you've done! :( It must be the afternoon lull, but now I want donuts and coffee or Oreos and milk. Can anyone go out and bring back some donuts/cookies?

offwego
08-28-2007, 04:02 PM
:confused: Huh? Translation, please!

That's simple..the moose (I mean mosquito's) are not really things you want a personal relationship with. So you need some repellant right? If your selling repellant your not likely going to call it repellant cause who would buy that? So you call it "off" as in the bugs stay off you I suppose or as in "take off you hoosier" but perhaps not.

It comes in many forms, sizes and styles but you'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian home without at least one kind of it somewhere around.

disneydrmr
08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
HEY! Who let the mooses and mosquitos run/fly off with all the oreos and milk?

offwego
08-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Di have you ever seen a moose? One doesn't let a moose do anything..they do whatever they want when they want..the things are huge!!

As to mosquito's I'm pretty sure that would be Alex's fault (isn't it always?) cause he's the only one currently north enough to really be bothered by them.

disneydrmr
08-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Di have you ever seen a moose? One doesn't let a moose do anything..they do whatever they want when they want..the things are huge!!

As to mosquito's I'm pretty sure that would be Alex's fault (isn't it always?) cause he's the only one currently north enough to really be bothered by them.

Yep, I have seen a moose and you do have a good point...

So, Alex trained the mosquitos to fly in and zoop down to grab our oreos and milk and carry them back to his secret hide out in the great white north... who would've thunk that Alex could be so smart? :D

offwego
08-28-2007, 04:48 PM

So, Alex trained the mosquitos to fly in and zoop down to grab our oreos and milk and carry them back to his secret hide out in the great white north... who would've thunk that Alex could be so smart? :D

Well if he can tell a sandwhich is a ham and cheese flying by his window all things are possible. Now that we know where the cookies are how do we get more? This is tough going without any cookies. I had lunch plans but the person cancelled which meant a lowly apple for lunch. Is it dinner time yet?

disneydrmr
08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Well if he can tell a sandwhich is a ham and cheese flying by his window all things are possible. Now that we know where the cookies are how do we get more? This is tough going without any cookies. I had lunch plans but the person cancelled which meant a lowly apple for lunch. Is it dinner time yet?

Hmmm.... think we can train some bees or wasps to fly to the Great White North and zoop down on Alex and steal back our oreos and milk?

And yes, it is almost dinner time... I'm making pork chops.. want some?

Dsnygirl
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Pardon me while I zoop in to catch my breath... I'm not in the best of moods right now. :mad: A good friend of mine came over w/ her two girls for the afternoon, and we had fun - so did the 4 girls. So much so that the "forts" they said they were building were actually made out of not only all THEIR bedclothes, pillows, blankets, etc., but also included all of mine - as well as all the blankets and pillows from the family room & living room, much use of yarn to tie things up and so much creativity it would make your eyes water. (As in crying as you realize there is no way in God's little green earth they can possibly clean all this up before you need to gather yourself together and go to work. ;)) And where were my friend and I whilst (:D) all this was going on? Happily drinking lemonade on the screened-in porch, unaware of the madness and mayhem going on over our heads. She and her girls are great, and they did help clean up - but you know what it's like to try to pick up someone else's house - it's usually easier to just say your goodbyes and get it overwith yourself. So - my girls and I just took care of the big stuff and they're handling the small stuff as I write... I'm not really mad, just annoyed, as it's not how I'd like to end my day before I head off to a night on my feet. Ahhhh..... kids. Gotta love 'em.... :blush:

Isn't this a long day?
See above post... ;)

(hey a girl has to drawn the line somewhere...I take courses, go to community events, I'll even sit in dunk tanks but spend my money on golf stuff? nu-uh)
Wow - you draw your line a lot further down than I do. I'd gladly buy the golf stuff and spend a day on the course... but courses & dunk tanks?? No way... they have to force me and pay me to get me to go to the required ones as it is. :D

I've even been thrown in "jail" for kidney research (you have to raise your bail money to get out)
So was my DH... he did it for muscular dystrophy, and his "jail" was at a restaurant, supplied with a good meal. Tough, huh?? :)

It comes in many forms, sizes and styles but you'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian home without at least one kind of it somewhere around.
.... or any home in Upstate NY, either... our mosquitoes may not be the size of moose, but I do think they could carry away a small animal!! We don't need it as much here in Marcellus, but when we lived in Cicero, Off was a necessity for any evening activity!!

Did I ask a question, or was I too busy venting?? :blush:

dlpmikki
08-28-2007, 05:31 PM
And you will acomplish all this whilst I stand by watching ! :D

Do you mean to say you Americans have problems with the correct usage of whilst, whilst us true Brits do not? :angel:

How do you get on with whist, wrist, waist, waste and while? ;)

Oh, and in the UK we spell acomplish accomplish or is that just the way Pogo does it from his generation? :D

pogo
08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
One I could handle (or perhaps if it was attached to an ooops I'm so sorry) but not so much..anyway if yours is like Ugly Betty does that mean she's making you have an ethical tune up? Goodness your not behaving like the boss on that show are you? He's a bit of a tom-cat!Nope..... What I meant was she is a little over doing it, with out being able to do it. My ethics are at 100 % ........ well...... ethical ! Know what I mean ?

Now look what you've done! :( It must be the afternoon lull, but now I want donuts and coffee or Oreos and milk. Can anyone go out and bring back some donuts/cookies?
For you Ellen.... I'd do almost anything. Oreo cookies and milk it is.

Alex did it !

who would've thunk that Alex could be so smart? :D
Ouch..... that must of hurt.

Well if he can tell a sandwhich is a ham and cheese flying by his window all things are possible. Now that we know where the cookies are how do we get more? This is tough going without any cookies. I had lunch plans but the person cancelled which meant a lowly apple for lunch. Is it dinner time yet? Hmmmm.... on a forced diet today ? :D

Do you mean to say you Americans have problems with the correct usage of whilst, whilst us true Brits do not?

How do you get on with whist, wrist, waist, waste and while? ;)

Oh, and in the UK we spell acomplish accomplish or is that just the way Pogo does it from his generation?
Ok.... ok..... I forgot to spell check and didn't catch the typo. The next time I'm multi-tasking, I'll have ugly Betty make my entries on this thread. I wouldn't want to upset the Brits again, now would we ?:confused:

Caroleh
08-28-2007, 09:22 PM
It's really coming along. First I will have conquered the JQ thread -- then I will spread out to the rest of the boards!!! I have a purpose in life at long last!! ;)

Whilst I'm just getting use to "eh, now you expect me to use a new word? I'm trying to remember colour, not color, metre not meter, centre, not center...geesh, this is getting difficult to learn at my age!!!

I think Alex actually bulit a robotic mosquito to steal the milk and cookies and blamed it on the Canadians. :D

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Whilst I'm just getting use to "eh, now you expect me to use a new word? I'm trying to remember colour, not color, metre not meter, centre, not center...geesh, this is getting difficult to learn at my age!!!
I think Alex actually bulit a robotic mosquito to steal the milk and cookies and blamed it on the Canadians. :D
You are now a sister, Carol... so get used to it (and you are doing a very good job by the way!). Wasn't there an Academy Award nominated song from South Park the Movie called "Blame Canada"? Go ahead...blame us. We ain't the second largest land mass in the world (behind Russia, but ahead of China) for nothin'! We can take it!

DUCK! Did you see that Moosquito that just flew by! :hide:

ElenitaB
08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
DUCK! Did you see that Moosquito that just flew by! :hide:
So those things we've been seeing flying North in V-formation all these years were actually moosquitoes?

disneydeb
08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Just zooping in whilst DH gets DGS to sleep. DD been working weird hours and we are trying to help her out with the wee one. I doesn't leave much time to snerf I'cot. Snerf is a word for Surfing Nerd. Actually I accidentally typed it and I liked it so I'm sticking with it.

Christine- Good Luck out there! You have lots of skill and personality to WOW them!:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: So WOW them!:thumbsup:
Good night, everyone:)

Christine
08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, I sent my resume to a real estate office today for an office manager position. Keep your :fingers: please!

I'm having yet ANOTHER garage sale this weekend. This time it is at my house. I am trying to sell anything not in use and take NO extras to my new house!

Did anyone see my pricing gun???

Beast_fanatic
08-29-2007, 12:20 AM
We had Wendy's for lunch today... I had my usual baked potato and small chili. It's my normal "WW-compliant" meal from there. Probably too high in carbs for you though, right?

I could eat the chili and half of the baked potato (and add in a side salad with reduced fat ranch dressing). But, it's been too hot for chili lately.

I found that quite punny. ;)

Sorry about the job. :pixie: on the way for the resume you sent in!

DS does NOT like mornings unless it somehow involves WDW.

DS and I would get along quite well, I think. :sleepin:

Do you mean to say you Americans have problems with the correct usage of whilst, whilst us true Brits do not?

How do you get on with whist, wrist, waist, waste and while?

Whilst I've never played whist, for a while now I've been working to waste away my waist. Does that deserve a slap on the wrist?

Just zooping in whilst DH gets DGS to sleep. DD been working weird hours and we are trying to help her out with the wee one. I doesn't leave much time to snerf I'cot. Snerf is a word for Surfing Nerd. Actually I accidentally typed it and I liked it so I'm sticking with it.

Christine- Goog Luck out there! You have lots of skill and personality to WOW them! So WOW them!
Good night, everyone

Deb, deb, deb. Do you need a time-out? You forgot your question AGAIN! :nono:

Dsnygirl
08-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Whilst I've never played whist, for a while now I've been working to waste away my waist. Does that deserve a slap on the wrist?

Wow - that was impressive. And for the late hour, too... you're good! :)

Well, I sent my resume to a real estate office today for an office manager position. Keep your :fingers: please!

Sending you lots of "new job" :pixie::pixie::pixie: for this job - I would think that would be a pretty interesting position!! Keeping my :fingers:....

How was everyone's night?? Mine was quick... it's been pretty busy up until now. I'm taking care of a mom whose triplets we're trying to keep inside a little while longer - so far, so good! :D

Have a nice morning, everyone...

alpro2
08-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Whilst, eh! Pass the hockey puck, eh. Yes, I will have another Blue :beer:, eh. Let's buy more shoes, eh, whilst I kill this moose mosquito, eh.

Good morning, eh. Does everybody miss me, eh?

That's simple..the moose (I mean mosquito's) are not really things you want a personal relationship with. So you need some repellant right? If your selling repellant your not likely going to call it repellant cause who would buy that? So you call it "off" as in the bugs stay off you I suppose or as in "take off you hoosier" but perhaps not.

I have been trying to use a can of Off on these mosquitos, but I have been giving myself bruises all over (darn can hurts).:D

FYI...we don't eat Oreos up here...we eat maple creme cookies, eh.

disneydeb
08-29-2007, 06:39 AM

:pixie::pixie::pixie:For the new job hunt!

Didn't you sell that in the last yard sale?

pogo
08-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Good morning all...... another great weather day here in Rochester, NY. (we don't get to say that too often) They say we are in for a fabulous weekend also. Lets hope so.
Anyone want to come for a visit ? I think we'll get in the pool !

Deb, deb, deb. Do you need a time-out? You forgot your question AGAIN! :
Rhonda, you are good. Ha.. ha Sis.... you got caught ! :fresh:

I have been trying to use a can of Off on these mosquitos, but I have been giving myself bruises all over (darn can hurts).:D

:funny: Good one Alex ! :thumbsup:

Hey evreybody....... :secret: I've got a secret for you...... this was my 3,000th post !

OK.... hit spell check..... I'll go through everything, whilst I drink my coffee..... I've got to keep the Brit's of my back.:D

drummerboy
08-29-2007, 07:59 AM
I have been trying to use a can of Off on these mosquitos, but I have been giving myself bruises all over (darn can hurts)

Didn't you know you're supposed to hold the can in the middle? Not as much leverage to cause bruises that way.

Hey evreybody....... :secret: I've got a secret for you...... this was my 3,000th post !

OK.... hit spell check..... I'll go through everything, whilst I drink my coffee..... I've got to keep the Brit's of my back.:D
Spell-what? I think you need stronger coffee cousin. Or is it the old failing eyesight again :old:?

Congratulations on 3000!

Caroleh
08-29-2007, 08:20 AM

Oops, sorry, Christine...I must of thought it was mine and took it.

:congrats: Pogo on 3000.

Jenn and Nat...do you think those mosquitos stung Alex to make him say eh just a little too much?

offwego
08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
So those things we've been seeing flying North in V-formation all these years were actually moosquitoes? Are secret is out folks!

Well, I sent my resume to a real estate office today for an office manager position. Keep your :fingers: please!/QUOTE]
Good luck! Please keep us in the loop.
[QUOTE=Beast_fanatic;1401781]
Very good. Soon we will need a pun thread don't you think?

Whilst, eh! Pass the hockey puck, eh. Yes, I will have another Blue :beer:, eh. Let's buy more shoes, eh, whilst I kill this moose mosquito, eh.

They have you drinking blue and eating the maple cookies? Tourist

Congrats! Way to go! :mickey::party::mickey:

Jenn and Nat...do you think those mosquitos stung Alex to make him say eh just a little too much?

Methinks you are right.

Christine
08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Well, I'm off to grocery shop then back here to work in the garage for the big sale. It's gonna be a scorcher today!

Rhonda, Ken, and Deb, I think we Southerners better get control before the Canadians usurp this thread completly with their "eh's", "whilsts",
"o-u-r" and "re" spellings, and metric system!

So are you all ready for your first lesson in Southern 101?

:nono: Canadian: "It's a lovely day, eh?"
:yes: Southern: "Ain't it perty out?"

:nono: Canadian: "Could you hold this whilst I tie my shoe?"
:yes: Southern: "Hold this here thing cause I'm fixin' to tie my shoe."

:nono: Canadian: "What's your favorite colour?"
:yes: Southern: "What's yer favorite COLOR?"

:nono: Canadian: "I think this is about 3 metres."
:yes: Southern: "I reckon this here is about three and a half feet!"

Any questions?

Caroleh
08-29-2007, 09:18 AM
:yes: Southern: "I reckon this here is about a three and a half feet!"

Any questions?
I'll give you a hint...1 metre=3 feet 3 inches...I convert this dozens time a day!!!!

Christine, could you figure out how I can have a garage sale from my 3rd floor apartment? I don't want to move all my "stash" Stash= fabrics for quilting, paper and supplies for scrapbooking. Maybe I'll just give my clothes all to goodwill and move the stash!!! :D

disneydrmr
08-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Wow, you guys have been busy whilst I've been sleeping/working, eh ...or ...
Heck! Y'all been shootin' the breeze as I've been sawing logs...
(how's that for staying neutral? )

DUCK! Did you see that Moosquito that just flew by!

So those things we've been seeing flying North in V-formation all these years were actually moosquitoes?

:funny: Thanks for the giggle!

Well, I sent my resume to a real estate office today for an office manager position.
I'm having yet ANOTHER garage sale this weekend. This time it is at my house. I am trying to sell anything not in use and take NO extras to my new house!

Good luck and :pixie: for both the job hunt and the garage sale...

Your pricing gun? Hmmm.. I believe I saw one of them thar moosquitos flying overhead carrying it off...

I could eat the chili and half of the baked potato (and add in a side salad with reduced fat ranch dressing). But, it's been too hot for chili lately.

HEY! I'm having a chili cook off at my church on Sept. 22.. I'm needing judges... if I promise you a WHOLE baked potato AND a side salad with reduced fat ranch dressing would you come and be a judge for me?

How was everyone's night?? Mine was quick... it's been pretty busy up until now. I'm taking care of a mom whose triplets we're trying to keep inside a little while longer - so far, so good!

So, did the triplets stay put? :pixie: for them to be born at the right time, and that they are healthy and strong!

Whilst, eh! Pass the hockey puck, eh. Yes, I will have another Blue , eh. Let's buy more shoes, eh, whilst I kill this moose mosquito, eh.

Just don't kill the moosquitos with the shoes... I think a certain person would have a coronary if you got icky moosquito guts all over a new pair of shoes! :D

Hmmm.. didn't Oreo come out with a Maple cream flavor?

Good morning all...... another great weather day here in Rochester, NY. (we don't get to say that too often) They say we are in for a fabulous weekend also. Lets hope so.
Anyone want to come for a visit ? I think we'll get in the pool !

Hey evreybody....... I've got a secret for you...... this was my 3,000th post !

Congrats on your 3,000th post!

I would LOVE to visit you and swim in your pool, but alas... my weekend is already booked with other obligations... next time try to give me a bit more notice.. ok? :D

So are you all ready for your first lesson in Southern 101?

Canadian: "It's a lovely day, eh?"
Southern: "Ain't it perty out?"

Canadian: "Could you hold this whilst I tie my shoe?"
Southern: "Hold this here thing cause I'm fixin' to tie my shoe."

Canadian: "What's your favorite colour?"
Southern: "What's yer favorite COLOR?"

Canadian: "I think this is about 3 metres."
Southern: "I reckon this here is about a three and a half feet!"

Any questions?

:rotfl::funny: That was wonderful! Hmmm... how do you ask how to go to the bathroom? ;)

offwego
08-29-2007, 09:33 AM
:yes: Southern: "I reckon this here is about a three and a half feet!"

Any questions?

So the real lesson here is that Southern's can't measure right? (A metre is roughly the height of your average doorknob more like a yard then a foot).

So does this mean I don't get biscuits and gravy?

Christine
08-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Hmmm... how do you ask how to go to the bathroom? ;)

Most southerners already know how to go to the bathroom! ;)

Di, how is Deb doing?

Christine
08-29-2007, 09:38 AM
So the real lesson here is that Southern's can't measure right? (A metre is roughly the height of your average doorknob more like a yard then a foot).

Southerners aren't concerned with HARD numbers...we like to "eyeball" things!

And you still get biscuits and gravy...and GRITS! Attitude is a beloved southern quality!

Now, ya'all study, ya hear? I wanna hear some good thick southern drawl when I get back on here later this evenin'!

That means you too Mikki! ;)

Mickey'sGirl
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
:nono: Canadian: "It's a lovely day, eh?"
:yes: Southern: "Ain't it perty out?"

:nono: Canadian: "Could you hold this whilst I tie my shoe?"
:yes: Southern: "Hold this here thing cause I'm fixin' to tie my shoe."

:nono: Canadian: "What's your favorite colour?"
:yes: Southern: "What's yer favorite COLOR?"

:yes: Southern: "I reckon this here is about three and a half feet!"

Any questions?Terrific! Only --favorite is spelled favoUrite in these parts.... otherwise, you could give Ken a run for his money in the translation business!!

Nat -- I think you are right....they are definitely giving Alex the tourist treatment! (psst Big Al -- NOBODY drinks Blue but old men, and NOBODY eats Maple cremes except old ladies -- You need Moosehead or some kind of German Import and biscotti -- or shortbreads -- or chocolate chip ) Do think this will help him to blend in Nat? Pink golf balls and all??? Gotta zoop out. Harry decided to not tell us about his knee that has been hurting for weeks and has a horrible infected spot on it. I put some of my mom's supersonic anti-biotic ointment on it last night -- but he will need orals I am sure..... Talk to you later.

Christine -- Good luck for the job!!

Caroleh
08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Nat -- I think you are right....they are definitely giving Alex the tourist treatment! (psst Big Al -- NOBODY drinks Blue but old men, and NOBODY eats Maple cremes except old ladies -- You need Moosehead or some kind of German Import and biscotti -- or shortbreads -- or chocolate chip )

You'd think they'd at least give him beaver tails...maybe they'd give him real beaver tails and not the pastry...think he'd notice?

I'll have y'all know that I can speak Southern, but I like Canadian!!! I'm just not into GRITS.:sick:

offwego
08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Harry decided to not tell us about his knee that has been hurting for weeks and has a horrible infected spot on it. I put some of my mom's supersonic anti-biotic ointment on it last night -- but he will need orals I am sure..... Talk to you later.

Poor Harry. I hope he'll be ok soon.

You'd think they'd at least give him beaver tails...maybe they'd give him real beaver tails and not the pastry...think he'd notice?

I'll have y'all know that I can speak Southern, but I like Canadian!!! I'm just not into GRITS.:sick:
Beaver Tails are a lot harder to find then one thinks. I never had one until I lived in eastern ontario. Which ones do you like?

disneydrmr
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM

I don't rightly know 'bout that... them thar southerners measure things by how the crow flies and how tall a grasshopper's knee is off the ground...

Do you want the fried green 'maters and the fried okra with that? And don't forget the sweet tea!!! mmmmm.....

Most southerners already know how to go to the bathroom! ;)

Di, how is Deb doing?

Ha ha ha ha... yeah, but don't you need a map to get to the outhouse that's waaaaayyyyy out in yonder woods? ;)

Deb's hanging in there... as long as she's careful with what she eats she's ok. The doct is trying to get her to settle for an IBS diagnosis.. but she's not falling for that .. we know it's gotta be something a bit more than that...

And you still get biscuits and gravy...and GRITS! Attitude is a beloved southern quality!

Now, ya'all study, ya hear? I wanna hear some good thick southern drawl when I get back on here later this evenin'!

Mmmmm... make my grits with lots of butter and sugar please!!!!

Gotta zoop out. Harry decided to not tell us about his knee that has been hurting for weeks and has a horrible infected spot on it. I put some of my mom's supersonic anti-biotic ointment on it last night -- but he will need orals I am sure..... Talk to you later.

Poor Harry... I do hope he heals quick! Treat that poor little guy to some ice cream for me!

alpro2
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey, eh! Do I really look like a tourist? I guess I should lose my teeth so I can blend in like the locals. :D Pass the flannel shirt, eh.

Congrats on3k Pogo!

disneydrmr
08-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Beaver Tails are a lot harder to find then one thinks. I never had one until I lived in eastern ontario. Which ones do you like?

They can't be that hard to find... aren't they usually attached to the beaver???? :D

offwego
08-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey, eh! Do I really look like a tourist? I guess I should lose my teeth so I can blend in like the locals. :D Pass the flannel shirt, eh.

Congrats on3k Pogo!

Goodness where are you? Did you end up in Kenora by mistake? Flannel shirts however could mean you accidently went to Epcot.

disneydrmr
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

Congrats on3k Pogo!

I think the pink golf balls are giving you away... shouldn't you be carrying a lumberjack's axe to blend in? OH! And don't forget to wear one of them cute hats.. you know.. the ones with the flaps that go over your ears.... and oh, I wouldn't go for the pink flannel shirt either... I'd stick with a nice manly plaid blend of red and black or black and grey...

Caroleh
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM

I know they are hard to find...We got one at the CNE about 3 or 4 years ago. We hard a chocolate hazelnut one. We're going to Ottawa tomarrow and that's one of the things I'm going to on a search for!!! The DH looked at vendors for the food court at the CNE for this year and didn't see beaver tails.

Alex, in this heat won't the flannel shirt be a little warm? Oh, did anyone tell you mosquitos LOVE flannel and not the little ones that are moose sized...there's bigger ones?

drummerboy
08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Your pricing gun? Hmmm.. I believe I saw one of them thar moosquitos flying overhead carrying it off...

I hope you don't store the pricing gun and the taser next to each other. Your customers could really be shocked by your pricing.

Southerners aren't concerned with HARD numbers...we like to "eyeball" things!
They sure did 'eyeball' things when they built my house over 100 years ago. There's nothing level or plumb in it, and there's different distances between all the floor joists (as I found out while trying to put in insulation under the house).

I'm just not into GRITS.
What, you don't like Girls Raised In The South?

Mickey'sGirl
08-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey, eh! Do I really look like a tourist? I guess I should lose my teeth so I can blend in like the locals. :D Pass the flannel shirt, eh. I'll bet you all think he's kidding, don't you? It is very important to NOT adopt the appearance of the locals where you are. Stick to the urban areas Big Al, and you'll be a.o.k. You can get Beaver Tails at the Metro Zoo -- It's not far from my house (or my reality either for that matter :crazy: ).
You guys are all pretty funny today -- and Ken, your joke gets 2 FULL :mickey::mickey:!

Di send some :pixie: to Deb for me!

Harry's fine -- just suffers from being a 9 year old boy. Got a script for oral anti-biotics that the doctor told me to fill if I feel his knee has not improved by Friday.

Ken -- You talk about your uneven joists in your 100 year old house... Our first house was brand spanking new when we bought it in 1996, and we figure it was "eyeballed" too. Putting the striped wallpaper up in the nursery was very interesting by the time we got to the last corner!

Christine
08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Terrific! Only --favorite is spelled favoUrite in these parts....

Man ya'all make things a lot harder than they have to be! I would hate to be in a Canadian spelling bee! (Or do you call them spelling MOSQUITOS??)

Kiss Harry's knee for me to make it all better...wait...EWWW! :sick: Just tell him I hope it feels better soon!

Deb's hanging in there... as long as she's careful with what she eats she's ok. The doct is trying to get her to settle for an IBS diagnosis.. but she's not falling for that .. we know it's gotta be something a bit more than that...

I tell you what, I went for YEARS with crummy IBS and the general blanket diagnosis "upset stomach" (duh) until finally they said, "wonder if it's your gallbladder?" So they do an ultrasound and find no stones...that makes them say, "Nope...not your gallbladder!"

Fast forward two years, and they finally do the hidascan to test FUNCTION of the gallbladder and BINGO!

I hope she gets to the bottom of this quickly! I feel like a new person since my operation! I can eat virtually any food with no pain or suffering afterwards! :woohoo:

I hope you don't store the pricing gun and the taser next to each other. Your customers could really be shocked by your pricing.

Oh Ken! :shake: That one made my TEETH hurt!

disneydrmr
08-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Oh Ken! :shake: That one made my TEETH hurt!

Made your teeth hurt? Think about your poor customer's fingers... ouch! :D

pogo
08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Hello ........ has every one kept busy today ?

I've been working on several proposals for clients from about 1:00 PM on and haven't had time to post anything. But I've quietly zooped in and out and you guys have made me laugh more than once today. :funny:

Made your teeth hurt? Think about your poor customer's fingers... ouch! :D
I don't know what to say about you...... I just don't ! :D

disneydrmr
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't kow what to say about you...... I just don't ! :D

Well, you can start off with saying what a wonderful, funny, beautiful, charming, talented person I am! Then you can go on to say that I'm one of the greatest people you have ever met...

did that make you laugh?

offwego
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
They can't be that hard to find... aren't they usually attached to the beaver???? :D Ya know I've never seen a beaver in the "wild"..mind you the first 32 years of my life were in large cities so that's not a big surprise.

I know they are hard to find...We got one at the CNE about 3 or 4 years ago. We hard a chocolate hazelnut one. We're going to Ottawa tomarrow and that's one of the things I'm going to on a search for!!! The DH looked at vendors for the food court at the CNE for this year and didn't see beaver tails. Byward market area has them. Where are you going/staying? I used to live near there..I miss it just a bit (but not a lot in the winter!!)

Hello ........ has every one kept busy today ? Too busy! I've been out and about like crazy and still have another meeting tonight. With politics yet..Who has the toothpicks for my eyeballs?

did that make you laugh?
Nah it's all true!!

pogo
08-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Well, you can start off with saying what a wonderful, funny, beautiful, charming, talented person I am! Then you can go on to say that I'm one of the greatest people you have ever met...

did that make you laugh?Would yuo believe I just had tears in my eyes ? I was slicing onions when I read this. :D

Ya know I've never seen a beaver in the "wild"..mind you the first 32 years of my life were in large cities so that's not a big surprise. Never ? I used to help a buddy of mine skin them and get them ready for the fur buyer.

Too busy! I've been out and about like crazy and still have another meeting tonight. With politics yet..Who has the toothpicks for my eyeballs?
I started early today and I'm in the office for about another minute. Then I'm in the pool.

I hope everyone has a great night..... I'm afraid I won't be around much the next couple of days. I've got a lot of business deals going forward. :D

offwego
08-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Never ? I used to help a buddy of mine skin them and get them ready for the fur buyer.
They don't have real Beavers in the mall do they? I am not out dorsey..not even a little. Not even a smidgen. (well flower gardens don't count right?) but no real wilderness with like wild animals ok? Macy's sales days are as close as I like to get. Or Holt's discount outlet clearout..or Olgivies..or a good sale at Williams-Sonoma..ah now your talking wild!

ElenitaB
08-29-2007, 08:13 PM
They don't have real Beavers in the mall do they? I am not out dorsey..not even a little. Not even a smidgen. (well flower gardens don't count right?) but no real wilderness with like wild animals ok? Macy's sales days are as close as I like to get. Or Holt's discount outlet clearout..or Olgivies..or a good sale at Williams-Sonoma..ah now your talking wild!
I'd rather face a weekend in the wild than a sale at Filene's Basement. But that's another story!

:pixie: to Deb and to poor Harry! (Jenn, keep that boy away from staplers, please.) Of course, extra for anyone else who happens to need some for anything else (like job hunting, raising triplets, etc.).

Okay... it's time for dinner. Would anyone like fish tacos?

Caroleh
08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
What, you don't like Girls Raised In The South?
I'm okay with those grits...it just the food ones that sound yucky!!!

Ya know I've never seen a beaver in the "wild"..mind you the first 32 years of my life were in large cities so that's not a big surprise.

Byward market area has them. Where are you going/staying? I used to live near there..I miss it just a bit (but not a lot in the winter!!)

Hey, Nat, we do see Frank and Gordon(the Bell/Sympatico beavers) all the time and don't forget the beaver on the nickle!! Is Alex in Sudsbury? He can get a huge beaver tail there!!!
We're going to be staying right next to the Rideau Centre, nice and close to ByWard Market. I'm gearing up to do some serious shopping...I need to keep the DH VERY distracted...any suggestions?

Dsnygirl
08-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Hi all... just zooping in quickly before bed...

Hey evreybody....... I've got a secret for you...... this was my 3,000th post !

:party: Congrats, Pogo!! :party:

So, did the triplets stay put? Pixie dust for them to be born at the right time, and that they are healthy and strong!

They sure did, but I have a feeling they were probably born today... but she was 32 weeks, and they appeard to be good sized, so I'm hopeful they were fine. 2 boys and a girl... :baby: :baby: :baby:

??? What are Beaver tails??? sounds awful, but I'll trust you guys... I haven't had bad Canadian food yet... :blush:

I'd rather face a weekend in the wild than a sale at Filene's Basement. But that's another story!

Wow.... I haven't heard that store's name in years. Talk about a zoo!! :D I miss it.... :blush:

How's everyone's night been?? I hope you all are having a good one... ours was busy, and now I'm off to sleep, and to the Fair again tomorrow. See you all later!

Beast_fanatic
08-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Tom, congrats on 3000 posts!

HEY! I'm having a chili cook off at my church on Sept. 22.. I'm needing judges... if I promise you a WHOLE baked potato AND a side salad with reduced fat ranch dressing would you come and be a judge for me?

Sorry, I'm only allowed half a baked potato, so that rules me out as a judge.

Harry decided to not tell us about his knee that has been hurting for weeks and has a horrible infected spot on it.

:pixie: for Harry's knee!

I'm just not into GRITS.:sick:

Me either (the food kind, of course).

Can we take up a vote and make tomorrow be Friday instead of Thursday? I'm done with this week!

Christine
08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Tom, congrats on 3000 posts!

Tom? Who's Tom? :D :stir:

drummerboy
08-30-2007, 12:23 AM
I am not out dorsey..not even a little. Not even a smidgen. (well flower gardens don't count right?) but no real wilderness with like wild animals ok?
Did I mention that I used to be a park ranger?

[Must resist half-baked joke. Must resist half-baked joke.]

Tom? Who's Tom? :D :stir:
Heck if I know.

disneydeb
08-30-2007, 06:45 AM
I'll go there , Ken...
Do potatos have half the carbs if they're half baked?

Congrats to Pogo on having a real name:thumbsup:
and on 3000 posts!:thumbsup:

alpro2
08-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Ok, my fellow Canadians...how about Molson Export? I asked the beer cart girl on the golf course yesterday for a "real" non-touristy beer. She offered me a (Ken - drum roll please) a Molson Export (eh). I wonder why she was looking at me cross-eyed?

Originally Posted by Dsnygirl
??? What are Beaver tails???
And you call yourself a Disney freak? They used to sell these in EPCOT.

Originally Posted by cantgetenuff
Kiss Harry's knee for me to make it all better...
I've got a boo-boo too. :D

pogo
08-30-2007, 07:23 AM

NO THANK YOU !
Oops..... I didn't ment to yell so loud. Do you have anything else ? :D

:party: Congrats, Pogo!! :party:
Thanks.

now I'm off to sleep, and to the Fair again tomorrow. See you all later!
And you juts couldn't wait until tomorrow to go, huh ? :(

pogo, congrats on 3000 posts!

Thank you.

Tom? Who's Tom? I have no idea ! :D

Heck if I know. Me either !

Congrats to Pogo on having a real name
and on 3000 posts!
Thank you, Sis. :D

I've got a boo-boo too.
You got a boo boo from playing golf ? Man you are bad !:D

drummerboy
08-30-2007, 07:58 AM
You got a boo boo from playing golf ? Man you are bad !:D
The worst thing is that it's a paper cut.

Who's glad that it's almost Friday?

Went down to Myrtle Beach (which, by the way, has its Canadian week each spring :thumbsup:) to see my sister and her DH and nephew and his DW and DD and me mum and stepfather. DM and stepfather live just south of MB and the rest were down from NJ visiting.

We went to a restaurant called 'Drunken Jack's' and sat on their covered porch for a few:beer: and such (except for me, who had to drive back home). While we were out there, we had a huge thunderstorm. DW, who has titanium rods in her back, decided she was too much of a lightning rod and convinced everybody to go inside before we got zapped. I was happy to oblige.

Anybody else have trouble relating to their relatives? We never quite know what to say to them all. I guess it's because I've become southernized and they're not sure what to say to me?

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Okay... it's time for dinner. Would anyone like fish tacos?I would have, but we had turkey tacos last night! One of my favourites for sure!

??? What are Beaver tails??? sounds awful, but I'll trust you guys... I haven't had bad Canadian food yet... :blush:Honestly, they are HORRIBLE. I don't get the fascination with fried dough .. :ack: Cinnamon is a redeeming quality however...

Ok, my fellow Canadians...how about Molson Export? I asked the beer cart girl on the golf course yesterday for a "real" non-touristy beer. She offered me a (Ken - drum roll please) a Molson Export (eh). I wonder why she was looking at me cross-eyed?Ex is what you steal from your uncles basement when you are in high school and you have a party to go to. You NEVER pay money for it. Moosehead or Canadian. That's it domestically. You wonder why she was cross-eyed??

Anybody else have trouble relating to their relatives? We never quite know what to say to them all. I guess it's because I've become southernized and they're not sure what to say to me?Don't we always relate to our relatives (Plasmically speaking of course) ?Many of our relatives have moved away from the city and are now in the country living quite differently than we do. This is not a judgement, but I have a really difficult time in large groups of them. I'm a real fish out of water ... I'm fine when it is a more intimate setting.

I had the Lawn Care company who looks after our grass call yesterday. They were following up on a suggestion that their technician had made for a $500 process for our lawn that would help it through this drought. I told the lady that we are not interested in having it done, and that my husband will be doing something in the Spring. She kept saying that it would be so good for the grass etc.... and I said politely that we were not interested..... THEN she had the gaul to ask to speak to my husband. I asked her "Why do you want to speak to my husband?" and she said so that she could discuss it with him. Well -- I saw red to say the least -- and I told her that I had explained our position and that talking to my husband would do nothing to change it. She continued on ... and I hung up. I was so angry... and I am so tempted to call and cancel the service all together! What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man? It was offensive. :rant: I feel better now. :D

Dsnygirl
08-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi everybody! How's everyone's Thursday starting?

And you call yourself a Disney freak? They used to sell these in EPCOT.

Nope, can't ever remember using those words to describe myself before....
Do they still sell them there? I'll have to look in October! :D

And you just couldn't wait until tomorrow to go, huh ?

:( Sorry.... travelling to my MIL's took priority. And that's saying something, seeing as I'm missing Kenny Chesney to go.... :fit:

Went down to Myrtle Beach to see my sister and her DH and nephew and his DW and DD and me mum and stepfather. DM and stepfather live just south of MB and the rest were down from NJ visiting.

We went to a restaurant called 'Drunken Jack's' and sat on their covered porch for a few:beer: and such (except for me, who had to drive back home). While we were out there, we had a huge thunderstorm. DW, who has titanium rods in her back, decided she was too much of a lightning rod and convinced everybody to go inside before we got zapped. I was happy to oblige.

Anybody else have trouble relating to their relatives? We never quite know what to say to them all. I guess it's because I've become southernized and they're not sure what to say to me?
Glad to hear you and your DW survived w/o a lightening strike... I have to say I would have agreed with her wholeheartedly!! :)

As far as the whole family thing, we have the same thing happen w/ my brother and his wife -- and they just live across town!! :confused: I can't imagine it's a southern thing - I'm definitely a northern girl at heart, but I think I'd find plenty to talk to you about!! :D Plus, I just love hearing the accent.... :blush:

Have a good day, everyone... I put some fresh coffee and muffins out... enjoy!

Caroleh
08-30-2007, 08:42 AM
??? What are Beaver tails??? sounds awful, but I'll trust you guys... I haven't had bad Canadian food yet... :blush:

It's a pastry that looks lik a beaver tail.

What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man? It was offensive. :rant: I feel better now. :D

My DH give all the telemarketers and other people to me to talk to, because I give them a bad time.

Well, I'm off to Ottawa until saturday. What's for breakfast to keep me until we get there?

Christine
08-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Anybody else have trouble relating to their relatives?

Absolutely! :yes:

.... and I said politely that we were not interested..... THEN she had the gaul to ask to speak to my husband.

You should have told her you were too barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and didn't want to disturb him while he was enjoying his after dinner pipe and brandy! :rolleyes: Her time machine must have taken her back even further than ours!! What an idiot!

I've got a boo-boo too. :D

Nice try, you little toot!

So who wants to help me set up this garage sale in my stuffy garage while it's 90+ degrees today? No one? Really? Hmmmm...I guess that's probably why I didn't get that sales job, huh?

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Well, I'm off to Ottawa until saturday. What's for breakfast to keep me until we get there?I had soggy Cheerios and OJ -- care for some? Have a safe journey to Ottawa! It is such a beautiful city! You should check out the Canadian Aviation Museum -- Brian and Harry really loved it. I personally really enjoy Rideau Hall -- beautiful grounds. Have you been to Ottawa before?

offwego
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
We're going to be staying right next to the Rideau Centre, nice and close to ByWard Market. I'm gearing up to do some serious shopping...I need to keep the DH VERY distracted...any suggestions?
The Rideau Centre is a pretty typical mall..Byward does have a lot of food but also has some neat boutiques lots of neat one off trendy stuff.

How's everyone's night been?? I hope you all are having a good one... ours was busy, and now I'm off to sleep, and to the Fair again tomorrow. See you all later!
Hope you had or are having a good night.

Ok, my fellow Canadians...how about Molson Export? I asked the beer cart girl on the golf course yesterday for a "real" non-touristy beer. She offered me a (Ken - drum roll please) a Molson Export (eh). I wonder why she was looking at me cross-eyed?
Yuck...again. Try some sleemens if you need to go down market ok? (but not too many that's real beer your dabbling with) Is that how you got the boo-boo?

The Anybody else have trouble relating to their relatives? We never quite know what to say to them all. I guess it's because I've become southernized and they're not sure what to say to me? You have no idea!!

"Why do you want to speak to my husband?" and she said so that she could discuss it with him. Well -- I saw red to say the least -- and I told her that I had explained our position and that talking to my husband would do nothing to change it. She continued on ... and I hung up. I was so angry... and I am so tempted to call and cancel the service all together! What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man? It was offensive. :rant: I feel better now. :D
Well I feel so much better now about the gentleman at the politcial meeting I was at last night suggesting that I should put one of the flowers in my cleavage. (this was after he handed me a different one and I had tucked it behind my ear thinking that was way too much already). Bars and politics apparently shouldn't be mixed!!

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Well I feel so much better now about the gentleman at the politcial meeting I was at last night suggesting that I should put one of the flowers in my cleavage. (this was after he handed me a different one and I had tucked it behind my ear thinking that was way too much already). Bars and politics apparently shouldn't be mixed!!
:funny: That is the funniest thing I've read today. It elicited a snort from me! What kind of flower ... or "de-flower" was it? :D

drummerboy
08-30-2007, 09:28 AM
THEN she had the gaul to ask to speak to my husband. What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man?
On the other hand, maybe she thought your DH would have a lot less sales resistance. Also, sometimes they're using the old reverse-psychology routine--"I'll ask to speak to your husband and you'll order it from me to prove you don't need his permission." Which didn't work either. I can see DW having the same response as you. :thumbsup:

Who's got breakfast ready?

drummerboy
08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
You have no idea!!
Oh yeah, I forgot about your family. :D

Ah, politicians. They're the same everywhere, aren't they?

drummerboy
08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Oops, I managed to post the same thing twice. Do I still need a question?

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Morning y'all!

Would yuo believe I just had tears in my eyes ? I was slicing onions when I read this.

So I'm assuming you sliced your finger??? Do you need a bandaide? Or do you need Christine to kiss your boo boo also?

Mmm.. sounds good! Have any left over? I could have them for my lunch instead of my freezer burnt Lean Pocket!

I'm gearing up to do some serious shopping...I need to keep the DH VERY distracted...any suggestions?

You could tell him you are going to Fredricks of Hollywood.. then I'm sure he won't care how long you are gone shopping... (hmmm.. can I even mention that store on a family friendly site? :blush: If not then Ken/Moderators please feel free to delete the mention and please accept my humble apologies)

Can we take up a vote and make tomorrow be Friday instead of Thursday? I'm done with this week!

Darn! Guess I'll have to try to bribe another judge... hmmm... that didn't quite come out sounding right.. did it?

And my vote is... today is Friday not Thursday! Yeah!

Tom? Who's Tom?

Isn't Tom the cat that always chases that mouse named Jerry?

[Must resist half-baked joke. Must resist half-baked joke.]

Come on.. you just KNOW you wanna say it!!! Give in to the dark side... :darth:

Do potatos have half the carbs if they're half baked?

Then if she only has a half of a half baked potato then would she only be getting 1/4 of the carbs?

??? What are Beaver tails???

Beaver tails are the flat appendages that are on the end of a beaver.. they use them to slap at the water as a warning when danger approaches... :D

Anybody else have trouble relating to their relatives?

Do you REALLY wanna go there???? I believe there is a limit on how long our posts can be....

I had the Lawn Care company who looks after our grass call yesterday. They were following up on a suggestion that their technician had made for a $500 process for our lawn that would help it through this drought. I told the lady that we are not interested in having it done, and that my husband will be doing something in the Spring. She kept saying that it would be so good for the grass etc.... and I said politely that we were not interested..... THEN she had the gaul to ask to speak to my husband. I asked her "Why do you want to speak to my husband?" and she said so that she could discuss it with him. Well -- I saw red to say the least -- and I told her that I had explained our position and that talking to my husband would do nothing to change it. She continued on ... and I hung up. I was so angry... and I am so tempted to call and cancel the service all together! What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man? It was offensive. I feel better now.

I would've let her have it! I have often been downright rude to telemarketers and such... and Yep! I would call and cancel the service! I'm sure there are other lawn care companies out there... and I would make sure to speak to a supervisor and make sure they know exactly WHY you are cancelling...

My DH give all the telemarketers and other people to me to talk to, because I give them a bad time.

Well, I'm off to Ottawa until saturday. What's for breakfast to keep me until we get there?

My Dh does the same thing... when he does take them he's just way to polite and let's them ramble on and on and on...Luckily since we've signed up for the do not call listing our calls from them have dropped to almost zero..

Have fun in Ottawa! I have some oatmeal in my desk if you want that...

So who wants to help me set up this garage sale in my stuffy garage while it's 90+ degrees today? No one? Really? Hmmmm...I guess that's probably why I didn't get that sales job, huh?

If I help you set up do I get a discount at your sale?

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Who's got breakfast ready?

I can have it ready in just seconds.. I have some oatmeal in my desk.. would you like that?

:funny: That is the funniest thing I've read today. It elicited a snort from me! What kind of flower ... or "de-flower" was it? :D

Hmmm.. since it was in a bar do you suppose it was a 'bud" of some sort? :D

Christine
08-30-2007, 10:12 AM
I can have it ready in just seconds.. I have some oatmeal in my desk.. would you like that?

How do your papers not get soggy? I have some bowls in my garage sale that I can sell to you for your oatmeal! :D

pogo
08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
DM and stepfather live just south of MB and the rest were down from NJ visiting.
Hmmmm... it isn't Georgetown, is it ?

She continued on ... and I hung up. I was so angry... and I am so tempted to call and cancel the service all together! What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man? It was offensive. I feel better now.
I'd call and cancel my service. Or at least call and ask for the owner and tell them if this happens again you will cancel ! Go get'm Cousin. :D

Sorry.... travelling to my MIL's took priority. And that's saying something, seeing as I'm missing Kenny Chesney to go....
And Kenny is more important than pogo........ why ? :D

Well I feel so much better now about the gentleman at the politcial meeting I was at last night suggesting that I should put one of the flowers in my cleavage. (this was after he handed me a different one and I had tucked it behind my ear thinking that was way too much already). Bars and politics apparently shouldn't be mixed!! He was no gentleman.
If he were a REAL gentleman, he would have put the flower in there for you.

So I'm assuming you sliced your finger??? Do you need a bandaide? Or do you need Christine to kiss your boo boo also?
Nope.... all better now. :D

Hey.... quit picking on my :beer:

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
How do your papers not get soggy? I have some bowls in my garage sale that I can sell to you for your oatmeal! :D

:D actually it's a bowl pack oatmeal.. so it's in it's own little bowl and you just add boiling water and let it sit for a minute or so then eat it! Quite handy and really not too bad tasting.

What else do you have in that garage sale?

pogo
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Anybody want to hear an important announcement ? Tough.... your going to anyways. :mad:

My new employee did not come into work today and she called me (10:30) just now to ask for today, tomorrow and next Tuesday off so she can go camping. :confused:

I thought of Christine's bad experience and tried to save her from doing it..... but she insisted. :rant:

I told her I needed her here today and tomorrow to finish the proposals I had drafted for Tuesdays meeting. She wasn't happy with my answer.... so she quit. :sadwave:

Now what am I going to do ? No golf.... no fun.... and a lot of work. :(

alpro2
08-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Nope, can't ever remember using those words to describe myself before....
Do they still sell them there? I'll have to look in October! :D
northern girl at heart, but I think I'd find
No, they do not sell them at WDW anymore.

Ex is what you steal from your uncles basement when you are in high school and you have a party to go to. You NEVER pay money for it. Moosehead or Canadian. That's it domestically. You wonder why she was cross-eyed??

Yuck...again. Try some sleemens if you need to go down market ok? (but not too many that's real beer your dabbling with) Is that how you got the boo-boo?

Hey, I asked the girl and that's what she gave me. I can't help it if you guys can't decide what is good Canadian beer, eh.

Is it Friday yet?

Dsnygirl
08-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Okay, I'm back... I couldn't resist. :D I just ordered our costumes for MNSSHP, so I'm in a Disney frame of mind again!! :mpumpkin: For anyone else who's going during the anniv. party, are you dressing up??

What decade is she stuck in where the little woman takes all direction from her man? It was offensive. :rant: I feel better now. :D
Wow.... I would've had the same reaction as you... and I would've thought of all these great things I could've said after I'd hung up, too!! :blush: Isn't that the worst feeling?? I would definitely call them back and let them know how pushy she was... and I'd only keep their service if you couldn't get a better deal elsewhere!

And Kenny is more important than pogo........ why ? :D
Hmmm....

Okay, now I'm really going to log off and get some work done... see you all later...

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
My new employee did not come into work today and she called me (10:30) just now to ask for today, tomorrow and next Tuesday off so she can go camping. :confused:
I told her I needed her here today and tomorrow to finish the proposals I had drafted for Tuesdays meeting. She wasn't happy with my answer.... so she quit. :sadwave:Rather nervy of a new employee methinks! I think you are better off with this turn of events Cousin. Can you call a temp service for a couple of days?

Hey, I asked the girl and that's what she gave me. I can't help it if you guys can't decide what is good Canadian beer, eh.

Is it Friday yet?Aren't you having fun in the Wilds of Canada? You are adapting the language quite successfully! :thumbsup:You need to come down to Toronto and see how we really live.... and eat.... and drink.... and dress... and have full sets of teeth..... Did I say that out loud?:confused:

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Okay, I'm back... I couldn't resist. :D I just ordered our costumes for MNSSHP, so I'm in a Disney frame of mind again!! :mpumpkin: For anyone else who's going during the anniv. party, are you dressing up??..
We want to.... I am trying to plod my way through the costumes...but it's kiddies first in my world. More urgently, I need some new duds for a Wedding next weekend. Anyone want to come shopping with me at lunchtime? :spend::shop::spend:

pogo
08-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Hmmm....

Okay, now I'm really going to log off and get some work done... see you all later...
I knew it..... you can't think of a reason, can you ? :D

Rather nervy of a new employee methinks! I think you are better off with this turn of events Cousin. Can you call a temp service for a couple of days?
It will be easier to do it myself at this point. I've moved some appointments around and will work into the evening to get them done. Patti will help when she gets done with her job.

More urgently, I need some new duds for a Wedding next weekend. Anyone want to come shopping with me at lunchtime?
Will you let me pick out your outfit ? :D

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Will you let me pick out your outfit ? :D
I realize that I am very often distracted ... but have I ever come off as absolutely nuts????? O.K. Don't answer that. Maybe I'll get my sister to come with me. She's good.

pogo
08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I realize that I am very often distracted ... but have I ever come off as absolutely nuts????? O.K. Don't answer that. Maybe I'll get my sister to come with me. She's good.OK.... I'll not make a "smart xxx" reply. :funny:

I've got another Cousin I didn't know about ? :confused:

Cool...... is she as nice as you are sometimes ? :D

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Anybody want to hear an important announcement ? Tough.... your going to anyways.

I thought of Christine's bad experience and tried to save her from doing it..... but she insisted.
I told her I needed her here today and tomorrow to finish the proposals I had drafted for Tuesdays meeting. She wasn't happy with my answer.... so she quit. :sadwave:

Now what am I going to do ? No golf.... no fun.... and a lot of work. :(

See... if you would've hired me I would NEVER NEVER NEVER have called off work to go camping.... I would've called off work to go to Disney instead... geesh.. the nerve of some people... :D

Is it Friday yet?

Depends on what part of the world you are in?

We want to.... I am trying to plod my way through the costumes...but it's kiddies first in my world. More urgently, I need some new duds for a Wedding next weekend. Anyone want to come shopping with me at lunchtime? :spend::shop::spend:

I"ll go shopping with you! I have a wedding coming up in October and could use a new outfit also... where are you treating me to lunch?

pogo
08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
See... if you would've hired me I would NEVER NEVER NEVER have called off work to go camping.... I would've called off work to go to Disney instead... geesh.. the nerve of some people... :DI really don't think I could have afforded you...... and no offense but........ don't you think one of us leaving work to go to Disney is enough ? :D

Besides, your red hair would have clashed with the yellow walls in the office. :sick:

pogo
08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh and here's something else........ My ex employee just stopped by the office to pick up her "three days wages" to take with her. She asked me if I'd pay her "off the record" ? :huh:

Do you believe the nerve ? :funny:

I told her .....:nope: ....... I would mail her "payroll check" to her house to arrive next Friday. She was not a happy camper when I showed her the door ! :cool:

Nascfan
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Oh and here's something else........ My ex employee just stopped by the office to pick up her "three days wages" to take with her. She asked me if I'd pay her "off the record" ? :huh:

I told her .....:nope: ....... I would mail her "payroll check" to her house to arrive next Friday. She was not a happy camper when I showed her the door ! :cool:

Good for you! Can you believe some people?

Hey, I know its late, but congrats on 3k!

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I've got another Cousin I didn't know about ? :confused:

Cool...... is she as nice as you are sometimes ? :DCousin! We discussed my much older sister Sue, who is the same age as your daughter.... Don't you hang onto every word uttered by me??? :jaw: My sister and I are very different, but are best friends. She's the quiet one... Me, not so much. :blah:

I"ll go shopping with you! I have a wedding coming up in October and could use a new outfit also... where are you treating me to lunch?I would have shared my "left over tacos which became a really good salad for lunch" with you. I also have a banged up bananaphone to share! I was successful, however, and will just need to get some shoes. :whew: Anyone want to come over and help me with the cheesecakes for 150 I am taking for the sweet table?:D

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Besides, your red hair would have clashed with the yellow walls in the office. :sick:

Are you saying that red heads don't look good in yellow? :( Besides, my hair is a light aburn... a very pretty color if I do say so myself. :blush: and I could've worn a yellow ribbon in it if that would help....

I told her .....:nope: ....... I would mail her "payroll check" to her house to arrive next Friday. She was not a happy camper when I showed her the door !

My goodness.. where did you ever find this person? Pay off the record??? Did she provide you with her personal info (i.e. social #, etc.. ) so you can with hold taxes? Could she possibly have been an illegal?

pogo
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey, I know its late, but congrats on 3k!Thanks Scott.... it was my number of posts..... not my golf score. What is the highest score you've ever had ? :D

Cousin! We discussed my much older sister Sue, who is the same age as your daughter.... Don't you hang onto every word uttered by me??? :jaw: My sister and I are very different, but are best friends. She's the quiet one... Me, not so much. Really ?
I'm sorry Cousin.... yes I remember now.... I'm multi tasking, and not doing a good job. I have a 2:00 PM meeting to go to and then back to finish the paperwork. I think I've got it under control.

Bye all. :D

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I would have shared my "left over tacos which became a really good salad for lunch" with you. I also have a banged up bananaphone to share! I was successful, however, and will just need to get some shoes. :whew: Anyone want to come over and help me with the cheesecakes for 150 I am taking for the sweet table?:D

Um, thanks.. the left over tacos that became a taco salad sounds good, but I think I'll skip on the banged up bananaphone.

Shoe?? Hmmmm... who do we know that could possibly help you pick out a pair of shoes? :confused: Hmmm... I'm sure there's someone out there that knows enough about shoes to assist you... if I think of who that person is I'll let you know! :D;)

OH! I'll help you with the cheesecakes! I make a GREAT sampler!!!

pogo
08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Are you saying that red heads don't look good in yellow? :( Besides, my hair is a light aburn... a very pretty color if I do say so myself. :blush: and I could've worn a yellow ribbon in it if that would help....
:nope: Would you repaint the walls for me ? :D

My goodness.. where did you ever find this person? Pay off the record??? Did she provide you with her personal info (i.e. social #, etc.. ) so you can with hold taxes? Could she possibly have been an illegal?She was legal. :thumbsup:

Gotta go..... bye. :D

Nascfan
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Scott.... it was my number of posts..... not my golf score. What is the highest score you've ever had ? :D

Bye all. :D

Around 3k! Hahahaha!

Good luck this afternoon.

Where did I put that question?

disneydrmr
08-30-2007, 02:11 PM
:nope: Would you repaint the walls for me ? :D

Ok, I'll paint them a really pretty light auburn red.. that way they will go with my hair and THEN you can hire me!!!! :D ;)

Where did I put that question?

I believe Pogo was gonna mail that question to you in your next payroll check, to arrive at your house next Friday.. right Pogo?

pogo
08-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Around 3k! Hahahaha!
No way.... even Alex isn't that bad ! :D

Ok, I'll paint them a really pretty light auburn red.. that way they will go with my hair and THEN you can hire me!!!! :D ;)
I'm sorry Diane...... I don't think I could afford you ! :D

I believe Pogo was gonna mail that question to you in your next payroll check, to arrive at your house next Friday.. right Pogo?
Uuhmmmm ....... where did that come from ? If you say so !?!?!?!?:confused:

OK guys..... I'm good...... I've got both my proposals done and I've called my clients and I'm meeting one this afternoon.... gotta hurry.... and one for coffee in the morning before Patti and I head to the fair. Wish me luck ! :D

disneydeb
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Blythe,
You are ordering costumes?! I was just going to grab a few items from the closet and call myself a pirate. Should I be more elaborate? I 've never been to MNSSHP before and I don't know what to plan for.
Everyone:
Guess what I got today! I got a new watch :) It plays It's a Small World and has Tink on it!:mickey: Now I can drive everyone NUTS!!!:thedolls:

Dsnygirl
08-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Ooohhh.... I am so tired, and my legs are just killing me!! Gotta love the Fair... the girls and I went today, 12-6:30, and I'm BEAT!! We had a ball -- i.e. :spend: -- but as you can see, I'm still up and at it, as we're headed to Buffalo tomorrow for the wknd, and I've still got packing to do, etc. Luckily, we aren't leaving 'til the afternoon, so I still have time to finish. :crazy:

We want to.... I am trying to plod my way through the costumes...but it's kiddies first in my world. More urgently, I need some new duds for a Wedding next weekend. Anyone want to come shopping with me at lunchtime?
I would have LOVED to come shopping with you... I am very good at spending other people's money!! :D What did you get?? As far as the costumes... my DD's are staying home, so I don't have to worry about their costumes just yet, thank goodness... my DD9 wants to be Princess Leia, and my DD6 is still thinking... gives me time.... I'm not too creative when it comes to putting stuff together myself, so I ordered early to be sure we like what we get and it fits... then I have to ship them to the hotel, as we're only travelling w/ carry-ons. So - I'm probably a bit ahead of everyone... and a little bit OCD... :blush:

Oh and here's something else........ My ex employee just stopped by the office to pick up her "three days wages" to take with her. She asked me if I'd pay her "off the record" ?

Do you believe the nerve ?

I told her .....:nope: ....... I would mail her "payroll check" to her house to arrive next Friday. She was not a happy camper when I showed her the door !
That's amazing... she must have some nerve!! I'm not sure I would have even shown my face after not showing up, calling in late for time off and then getting fired.... I would have just hoped for the best, and prayed I got even something!! I can't even imagine the look on your face when she walked in.... :thedolls:

Blythe,
You are ordering costumes?! I was just going to grab a few items from the closet and call myself a pirate. Should I be more elaborate? I 've never been to MNSSHP before and I don't know what to plan for.

Like I said above, I'm not too good at throwing stuff together, and I fell in love w/ the Jack & Elizabeth costumes I saw on a bunch of costume websites. My DH does a great Jack impression, and he's not someone to wear something crazy, so since he really likes him, it was easy to convince him to dress up with me!! :D I've never been to MNSSHP either, so I have no idea what to expect in the costume category... and I'll bet we'll be two of MANY Jack & Elizabeth folks... but I don't care... I haven't dressed up since I was a kid, so I'm going all out. Plus, we love the Renaissance Fair that's here each summer, so we'll get use out of the costumes during their pirates weekend... :blush: (and my girls are SO excited we're getting costumes... I guess they're assuming we'll wear them on Halloween... guess we'll have too, now!!)

How is everyone?? Only 47 minutes 'til Friday....

Beast_fanatic
08-30-2007, 11:25 PM
I had soggy Cheerios and OJ -- care for some?

You eat your Cheerios with orange juice on them? :ack:

I thought of Christine's bad experience and tried to save her from doing it..... but she insisted. :rant:

Well, if you hired Christine, you definitely wouldn't have to worry about her taking off to go camping!

She was not a happy camper when I showed her the door ! :cool:

Not a happy camper. Tee hee. ;)

alpro2
08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm back, eh. Pass me a beaver tail and a beer (bartenders choice), eh.

Came down to the US so I can have a holiday weekend. What's everybody doing for the long weekend?

Dsnygirl
08-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Yawn... mornin' all... wake-up time came a little too early for my blood this morning!! (i.e. 0615... :ack:)

Came down to the US so I can have a holiday weekend. What's everybody doing for the long weekend?
We're headed off to Buffalo this afternoon to spend the wkdn w/ my DH's family at his mother's house. His sister and her family are coming in this evening, too, so my MIL's house goes from just her to 5 adults, 4 kids, a dog and a kitten -- lucky her!! :blush:
Tomorrow, we're headed to Marineland and Niagara Falls for the day, and Sunday the plan is to go picnicing (sp??) and hopefully swimming at the park, if it's warm enough. :fingers:

What's everyone else got planned for the weekend?? (And does anyone have some espresso that's hot & ready?? My coffee's just not cutting it... )

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Now I can drive everyone NUTS!!!:thedolls:Even from all that distance away ..... It's a world of laughter :sing:

... my DD9 wants to be Princess Leia.I am going to be Princess Leia too with any luck! Great minds must think alike!:number1:

You eat your Cheerios with orange juice on them? :ack:I could tell you stories from my childhood involving my oldest brother preparing the cereal ... but this is a family friendly site.

Came down to the US so I can have a holiday weekend. You know that Labour Day is in Canada too, right Alex? Did you also know that it was originated by the Unions in Toronto????

What's everyone else got planned for the weekend?? (And does anyone have some espresso that's hot & ready?? My coffee's just not cutting it... )We're going up to the kids babysitter's cottage for the day tomorrow -- then who knows? I wish you safe travels and a fun weekend!

pogo
08-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Good morning all..... another fantastic day in beautifull Rochester, NY...... with several more coming according to the weather man.

Guess what I got today! I got a new watch It plays It's a Small World and has Tink on it! Now I can drive everyone NUTS!!!:Congratulations on the new watch. What time does it say right now ? :D

That's amazing... she must have some nerve!! I'm not sure I would have even shown my face after not showing up, calling in late for time off and then getting fired.... I would have just hoped for the best, and prayed I got even something!! I can't even imagine the look on your face when she walked in.... She came with excellent references that I checked out before I hired her but I never expected this. But I handled it very professionally. Actually..... you should have seen the look oh er face. :scared:

You eat your Cheerios with orange juice on them?
:funny: You are clever tonight aren't you.

Well, if you hired Christine, you definitely wouldn't have to worry about her taking off to go camping! I'm not sure Christine and I could work together. I'm not too good at following directions. ;)
And you are a trouble maker to boot. I like you. :hug:

Not a happy camper. Tee hee.

I'm back, eh. Pass me a beaver tail and a beer (bartenders choice), eh.

Came down to the US so I can have a holiday weekend. What's everybody doing for the long weekend? I'm surprised they let you back into the country. We're going to the Great New York State Fair today to see if Blythe missed spending some money somewhere. :D

Yawn... mornin' all... wake-up time came a little too early for my blood this morning!! (i.e. 0615... )

We're headed off to Buffalo this afternoon to spend the wkdn w/ my DH's family at his mother's house.
AH HA !!!! So you could have met us today at the fair if you are not leaving untill this afternoon ! I knew it ! :(

Have fun at Marineland..... try to do the first show at King Waldorf's... I think at noon.... it's better than the 6:00 PM one. Have fun. :D

pogo
08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
We're going up to the kids babysitter's cottage for the day tomorrow -- then who knows?
There a resort in Rochester that your welcome to use. :swim: Pool temp is 80 degree's F. :D

disneydrmr
08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
Morning everyone! Are we all ready for the long weekend? I know I am! My nieces and nephew will be here for the weekend and we're celebrating the oldest niece's birthday tomorrow. My church has a Labor Day picnic on Sunday so I have to make some Calico Beans and a Fruit salad for that... then Monday I plan to just veg on the couch and watch movies. Got a large stack of Dvds that we've bought over the last couple months and have not gotten around to watching.

For all our travelers - have a safe trip and a fun time!

Alex - how much did you have to pay the Border Guards to get back into the country? :D

Pogo - that resort in Rochester.. is it open in November? I'm looking for a place to go next November for me and my dh's 15 year anniversary...

offwego
08-31-2007, 09:31 AM
:funny: That is the funniest thing I've read today. It elicited a snort from me! What kind of flower ... or "de-flower" was it? :D Gerba daisy.

Ah, politicians. They're the same everywhere, aren't they?
This wasn't a politician..it was just a guy at the thing thank goodness.

It was a banquet hall but of course had a bar. Bud's not quite the huge seller up here though.

He was no gentleman.
If he were a REAL gentleman, he would have put the flower in there for you.
With a half dozen of my clients standing right there looking at him like he was crazy? He tried to take it back but since everyone heard it he had to just slink away...

My new employee did not come into work today and she called me (10:30) just now to ask for today, tomorrow and next Tuesday off so she can go camping. ( I thought leaving early for a cat was bad..this is awful!

Oh and here's something else........ My ex employee just stopped by the office to pick up her "three days wages" to take with her. She asked me if I'd pay her "off the record" ?
Goodness where did you find her?

Shoe?? Hmmmm... who do we know that could possibly help you pick out a pair of shoes? Hmmm... I'm sure there's someone out there that knows enough about shoes to assist you... if I think of who that person is I'll let you know!
OH! I'll help you with the cheesecakes! I make a GREAT sampler!!!
How may I provide assistance?

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
How may I provide assistance?
I'm the one who will go shoe shopping .... How are things Nat? Any idea when Jamie at Home will be relased in Canada? It's not till September in the UK.

offwego
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Goodness..it's safe to golf again?

We're going up to the kids babysitter's cottage for the day tomorrow -- then who knows? I wish you safe travels and a fun weekend! That sounds like fun!

I'm the one who will go shoe shopping .... How are things Nat? Any idea when Jamie at Home will be relased in Canada? It's not till September in the UK.
Now how did I miss that? You don't do heels though correct? Have you considered the trend for the "ballet slipper" look? And re Jamie's new book I'm not sure either. I cannot get over the difference in him for that show though. Has he ever mellowed back out again! Do you have the italian one? It's pretty good but the meat section is just a little to "real" for me.