PDA

View Full Version : Tarzan Rocks vs. Finding Nemo The Musical

**a_spoonful_of_sugar**
08-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Ok, so we all knew 'Tarzan Rocks' (Animal Kingdom) was one of our all time favourites, and i personally was devistated when hearing it was closed. But after finding out it was going to be changed into 'Finding Nemo the Musical' I expected a show that would top Tarzan and knock me off my feet.

Don't get me wrong, the costumes and effects were attractive, but not up to Disney standard and the music was appalling! Nothing near the standard of 'The Festival of the Lion King' or other Disney performances ive seen in the past. Ive just got back from my 9th visit to Disney and ive never been more dissappointed in a show before. I think this is one of the worst mistakes Disney has made in a long time and I just wondered what other peoples views were on this topic.

:humph:

faline
08-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Personally, I was never a fan of the old Tarzan show. I only saw that show once and didn't even stay for the entire show.

I've only seen the new Nemo show on one occasion and I greatly enjoyed it though it was a bit longer than I expected it would be.

The good thing about Disney is that it has something to please everyone even though our tastes are all different!

Figgyluv03
08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I loved Tarzan Rocks. In fact, that was the only time that I actually went to AK on my college program. I really enjoyed the show and always get emotional to You'll be in my heart (it's a song we dedicated to my grandparents on a movie we made), so I'm not really looking forward to seeing Finding Nemo. I've heard a couple of other bad reviews about it.

Tinkermom
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
First, :welcome: to Intercot! I love your title!

I think you will find that there are quite a few people around here who did not care for Tarzan Rocks. Our family really enjoyed it. :thumbsup:It seems to be you either loved it or hated it.

I did think though that it was time for a new show. We saw the finding Nemo show and again we enjoyed it. However, it seemed very slow to start. I sat there for a bit wondering "is this all?". After the first few minutes it picked up. The costuming and colors are really amazing but I have to agree with you on the music! It really is not what I expected from Disney.

SurferStitch
08-24-2007, 09:30 AM
DH and I liked Tarzan Rocks...not loved...but liked.

We both thought the Nemo show was amazing. The costumes, set, lighting, and music are all top notch, and very theatrical. It's an incredibly creative and entertaining show. I think Nemo is a much better show than Tarzan ever was.

Lion King is still my favorite, though!

magicman
08-24-2007, 09:46 AM
A friend of mine worked as a Disney Dancer at the Tarzan Rocks show, so we had a natural affinity for it.

She said Disney shut down the show mainly because of noise intrusion expected when Expedition Everest went into operation. Also, she said Disney was pushing back on the expense of shows like Tarzan Rocks which require a lot of Cast Members due to the expense of it.

Jared
08-24-2007, 09:48 AM
I think Finding Nemo - The Musical is absolutely exceptional. Perhaps Festival of the Lion King is a better stage show, but it's darn close.

The sets and costumes are amazing, and the music is catchy. I will not miss it. Tarzan Rocks was never a priority for my family.

CleveSJM
08-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I agree with you quite a bit. We liked Tarzan. It was upbeat and the rock music was pretty good but not really a "musical." I was disappointed with Finding Nemo. I mean most musicals have hokey songs but these seemed even worse than usual. Fantastic sets and performances, but the music was a real dud for me.

ChipnDaleGal
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
My daughter and I were both really sad when we learned that Tarzan Rocks was going to discontinued. It was always a favorite of ours. So I went into the Nemo show still a little peeved. But the Nemo Musical for us was just the most amazing show we have ever seen anywhere on Disney property ever. We are both musical addicts, and this show is right up there with some of our favorites we have ever seen, even on on Broadway. For us the costumes, the sets, the songs, the talent was all top notch. We saw it twice in June and wish we had gone a few more times. We have a short trip coming up in October to see some Johnny and the Sprite Shows, and the only other thing she has requested to do is see the Nemo Show. She wants to get it on video so she can watch it at home whenever she wants.

I am sorry that your family was so disappointed. I fully expected to feel that way as well, but for us it ended up being a wonderful change.

mrsgaribaldi
08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
We both thought the Nemo show was amazing. The costumes, set, lighting, and music are all top notch, and very theatrical. It's an incredibly creative and entertaining show. I think Nemo is a much better show than Tarzan ever was.

These are my feelings exactly too:thumbsup: I saw Tarzan once and never saw it again. I liked it, that's all. I loved Nemo and I'm sure I will be seeing it again :nemo:

:welcome:to Intercot **a_spoonful_of_sugar** :wave:

Goofeygal
08-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Same here saw Tarzan once and never went back. I saw Nemo and really enjoyed it.

DizneyRox
08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Ok, so we all knew 'Tarzan Rocks' (Animal Kingdom) was one of the all time worst shows at WDW, and i personally was ecstatic when hearing it was closed. After finding out it was going to be changed into 'Finding Nemo the Musical' I expected a show that would be better than Tarzan and knock me off my feet.

The costumes and effects were attractive, topping those of 'The Festival of the Lion King' and other Disney performances ive seen in the past. Ive recently got back from my 42th visit to Disney and ive never been more satisfied with a show before. I think this is one of the best decisions Disney has made in a long time and I just wondered what other peoples views were on this topic.

:thumbsup:

That's how I feel...

CleveSJM
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
That's how I feel...

:D Your flip-flop quotation of "yourself" is more creative than any of the music in Nemo... I enjoyed your post much more than the show. :thumbsup:

pogo
08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry you didn't like it. :(

We really liked the Tarzan Rocks show... especially me, being a retired drummer.

But we both think Finding Nemo is one of the best stage shows we've ever seen. :D

**a_spoonful_of_sugar**
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
:D Your flip-flop quotation of "yourself" is more creative than any of the music in Nemo... I enjoyed your post much more than the show. :thumbsup:

i dont understand :confused:

p.s. thank you too all the people who have given their views so far

CleveSJM
08-24-2007, 01:41 PM
i dont understand :confused:

Sorry, maybe I'm confused as well. I think DisneyRox quoted your original post but flipped it around to say the opposite and then agreed with herself. :cool::blush::D

Very cool and creative. I wish I would have thought of that sometime. I think I may borrow it from time to time...:thumbsup:

**a_spoonful_of_sugar**
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm confused as well. I think DisneyRox quoted your original post but flipped it around to say the opposite and then agreed with herself. :cool::blush::D

Very cool and creative. I wish I would have thought of that sometime. I think I may borrow it from time to time...:thumbsup:

haha ok fair enough :thumbsup:

im glad people have given their personal views
maybe the music was the main thing that put me off nemo rather than the performace its self, after all we have our own indiviual tastes. i prefer something that is powerful enough to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, rather than something that gets me up and dancing :)

Disney Doll
08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Actually Tarzan Rocks was not one of my favorites. We saw it once and then skipped it on subsequent trips. I like the Nemo show much, much better. We thought it was great. I had no complaints at all and will make a point to see the Nemo show on all my future trips.

poeticeclipse
08-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Tarzan Rocks was good. Not great... but good. I was very impressed by the acrobats and the roller bladers. I'd only seen the show once. So, I may not be the best judge.

Finding Nemo, to me, was fantastic. I cried at the end. I love thinking about how much goes on behind the scenes to get everything to pull together. Really... amazing!!

TTAtravler
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
:thumbsup: I really like the new show. :thumbsup:Maybe it is because I really liked the movie. Anyway, I know it can be upsetting when a favorite attraction is replaced with something you don't like as well. Maybe you should give it another try next time.

jiifigment
08-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm SOOO glad you posted this question. We liked (not loved)Tarzan. We LOVED (as in head over heels) Hunchback. I've watched some youtube of Nemo, and haven't been that impressed, so we weren't going to go see it in September until I read this thread.

It's distracting to me to be able to see the puppeteers. At least it is on youtube. Maybe it won't be as noticeable in person.

Thanks, everyone, for your positive opinions! We'll put it on the to do list! :mickey:

jsw123
08-24-2007, 10:35 PM
We really liked Tarzan Rocks! I didn't see the Nemo show in July because of the huge wait. My sister and her DD went and were totally disappointed. We had thought about seeing a later one, but she told us not to bother. "The special effects were cool, but the singers were just OK. The songs were boring." Nothing like Lion King! That's the best!:mickey:

By the way --- someone posted that they took away Tarzan b/c of money. I have heard that they take away a stage show at Disney when the musical of it opens on Broadway, as I know Tarzan did. I'm just reporting what someone else told me, but I can't wait until Tarzan the Musical is on tour in CIncinnati!

Goes4FastPass
08-25-2007, 12:25 AM

Lion King is still my favorite, though!Nemo different enough from FOTLK that it's not necessary to compare them.

Nemo is more like Disney's Broadway shows than anything else at WDW.

The Joker
08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
"The special effects were cool, but the singers were just OK. The songs were boring." Nothing like Lion King! That's the best!:mickey:

I agree with your sister. Finding Nemo is very disappointing, I've seen it once and will probably not go back for a couple of years. Tarzan Rocks was one of our favorites, we saw the show at least twice in every vacation. In fact, we booked an extra vacation especially for the farewell show of TR...

With TR gone, the Lion King show is by far the best show in WDW.

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I really liked Tarzan Rocks, but fell in love with Finding Nemo when I saw it in June. I found the costumes amazing and the presentation very touching. Whoever said it is very similar to a Disney production on Broadway is right. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Finding Nemo is the next Disney musical to open on Broadway.

joanna71985
08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I never saw Tarzan Rocks. But I absolutely LOVE Finding Nemo. I have seen it 20+ times, and love each one as much as the first time. I even have a designated spot that I sit in each time.

DizneyFreak2002
08-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I have to disagree with the OP.... I thought Tarzan was way too loud.... I was barely able to understand the lyrics they were singing... And the stunts performed on roller blades is nothing new... I see that stuff every day outside my house.... As far as Nemo, I wasn't expecting much... I mean, how could you make a musical out of a cartoon that was not a musical??? Well, Disney found a way.... Nemo was awesome... I think this is one change Disney did that really was for the best....

MinnieMommie
08-26-2007, 12:08 PM
It is interresting to see how varied people's reactions are to different attractions. I was pleasantly surprised at just how well well done nemo was. I enjoyed the show very much. Tarzan not so much so. Thanks for the post and welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

jiifigment
08-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Ok, I have to ask since it was brought up...

Is there a better place to sit for Nemo than other spots?

For most of the shows, it's no big deal to me where I sit. But if there is a spot where I can see the puppets better than the puppeteers in this show, it will probably matter to me. :D

joanna71985
08-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Ok, I have to ask since it was brought up...

Is there a better place to sit for Nemo than other spots?

For most of the shows, it's no big deal to me where I sit. But if there is a spot where I can see the puppets better than the puppeteers in this show, it will probably matter to me. :D

Well, if you're asking opinions on where to sit I always sit in the bottom-right side of the stage (facing it). I love being up close and personal to the show.

However, for a spot to see the puppets more clearly, I would say probably in the back half of the theater.

PirateLover
08-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I actually never got to witness Tarzan Rocks so I can't really compare. But as a musical lover, a Disney lover, and a Finding Nemo lover, I was totally underwhelmed by Nemo the Musical. Yes the costumes and sets were amazing but I didn't like most of the songs, and I especially didn't like the casting of Crush. Maybe it was just an off performance but he sounded terribly off key throughout his whole song. My mother liked it a bit more than I did, but also thought it was boring at times. My boyfriend absolutely hated it.