PDA

View Full Version : Hip restrictions

Dsnywrldlvr
08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
First post!
Been a lurker for quite a while now. DH and I are planning a trip to Disney in October. He just had a hip replacement. The doctor says that he will be fine but he will be under hip restrictions which basically means that he can not bend his hip more then 90 degrees or rotate it out at all. I know that this will mean major concessions as far as rides go. Anyone have any experience with someone under hip restrictions?

CleveSJM
08-24-2007, 09:36 AM
:welcome:

Not sure it will mean major concessions... Some for sure, but most rides at WDW are pretty tame. I'd do some more research on Intercot about each ride in question and specifically ask his doctor.

Even fast rides like Space Mountain and E:E are fairly stable for the lower body.

I would definitely avoid Dinosaur. It whips you around quite a bit.

But asking the doctor about a ride like the Safari, basically just a bumpy car ride would be a good thing to do.

Belle619
08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree with the previous post - make sure the doctor approves of the trip before doing anything. Most likely he/she will if it wasn't done that recently.

My dad had total hip replacement in April and I know that the 90 degree angle is a big issue. Make sure that when getting on and off rides, your DH kicks that leg out so as to not injure the joint. And also watch that he does not lift his leg up and over to get into/out of the vehicles - remind him to go face forward and step up or down.

As you can tell - we've given this a lot of thought for our next trip! Remember that scooters and handicap entrances are always an option - we actually are worried about regular the loading areas with the flat escalator (people mover) device because you don't seem to have the time to get in/out in the proper form for a new hip.

Good luck - hope you have fun!

AlvyOT08
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
If your dad is still under the hip precautions, he might have a hard time getting in and out of the rides while still following these precautions: no pivoting on that foot, no bending the hip past 90 degrees (whether your bending to reach something or bringing that leg up towards your chest) and no crossing your legs. It's hard enough for people who recently had their hips replaced to follow these precautions while getting in/out of a car and while doing common tasks around the home. I highly advise you to follow the precautions, because failure to do so and cause the hip to pop out of the socket, meaning another surgery. If I were you, I would postpone the trip until the precuations are lifted and your loved one has had a couple of months to recover.:mickey:

mickey&missy
08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I believe, but I could be wrong, the the cm's can turn off the people movers for handicapped and injuried people. You should definitely look into that.

By the way, :welcome:

mttafire
08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
:welcome:

Not sure it will mean major concessions... Some for sure, but most rides at WDW are pretty tame. I'd do some more research on Intercot about each ride in question and specifically ask his doctor.

Even fast rides like Space Mountain and E:E are fairly stable for the lower body.

I would definitely avoid Dinosaur. It whips you around quite a bit.

But asking the doctor about a ride like the Safari, basically just a bumpy car ride would be a good thing to do.
Agreed. Just take it easy and do what the doc says...Everything will be fine.

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I've taken care of a lot of patients who are on hip precautions and I really think you need to err on the side of caution on the rides at Disney World. As mentioned previously, if a person was able to get on the ride, seat themself and keep their hip flexion no greater than 90 degrees for the entire ride, it might be okay. However, in many rides people tend to use their legs to brace themselves and that too could be a problem. I personally would have reservations about any of the roller-coasters for that reason, including Expedition Everest and Space Mountain. And Dinosaur and Primevil Whirl are just too bumpy to get a stable seat in.

Perhaps you could discuss the types of rides that your husband will encounter with his doctor and get some clarification?

Dsnywrldlvr
08-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies(and the welcomes to the board)!

DH is not much of a wild ride enthusiast anyways, so we will probably stick to the movie type attractions and forego the thrill rides(except that I will have to do Expedition Everest by myself!). Definitely doing the Food and Wine Festival!