PDA

View Full Version : A day away from Disney?

bethanne6245
08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
My family and I are considering a day away from the Disney parks (tragic I know!). We were thinking Sea World or Universal. I have positive and negatives to each....Sea World-my DD9 isn't into shows, but loves animals so she may like it there? Universal-afraid there's too many thrill rides...she loves all the Mtns in Disney, but not a fan of TOT or RnRC, just to give you an example. Which park would you visit and why?

ncscgirl2005
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM
We did one non-Disney Day and I hated every minute of it. Seaworld was OK but we've gone to the zoo 5 times in the last year and the local aquarium twice so for me it felt like I was in an outside aquarium. However, If I had to choose one day I would the other park. But since your daughter is not into thrill rides, you should just make your life easier and stay in Disney. There's no way you can go wrong there!

#1donaldfan
08-23-2007, 02:16 PM
NO don't do it........Disney is the best.....I'm sure you can find something to do......actually you'll have fun either way....

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
08-23-2007, 02:53 PM
I agree to stay on site. Why don't you look into the horseback rides, miniature golf, boat rides, tours, etc.

Momof2boys
08-23-2007, 02:54 PM
We did a non-Disney day on two of our trips. But instead of going to another park, we headed for the Gulf beaches. We went to Clearwater Beach (which was awesome) and Venice Beach (which was ok).

The boys loved swimming in the "ocean", collecting shells, and Mommy & Daddy enjoyed relaxing on the beach.

Our trips are usually 9-11 days so a break in the middle was refreshing.

bleukarma
08-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Since your DD isn’t into thrill rides I would skip Universal. While there are things that she could do I’m afraid you will walk out thinking it’s a waste of money. For Universal I would wait till she’s older so you get your money’s worth.

SeaWorld doesn’t really impress me, but it does others. I think it’s a matter of opinion. There are tons of things to do there without seeing a show, a few months ago I spent the whole day there (well, from 9-5) and somehow managed to not see one show. But your DD might like it, especially if you manage to get in on a show or two.

No matter what you chose out of the three choices I’m sure you’ll find a way to have fun! :mickey:

cEveArdenfan
08-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Last time we spent two days at Universal. One for the Studios and one for Islands of Adventure. I really enjoyed it. We didn't go on any of the rollercoasters. Some of the rides like Spiderman and Cat in the Hat were fun. I love WDW, but it was nice to do something different.

teambricker04
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I would skip all other theme parks. If you are going to do something non disney try the Beach. I agree that the gulf side is the way to go. Clearwater and St. Pete Beach (or Miedira in St. Petersburg) are some of my favorites.

If you want to do something like a theme park try Gatorland or NASA (a bit of a drive but lots of fun).

I am sure there are some other local things that would be fun. I think if you are going to skip out on a day at Disney spend it relaxing and not at another theme park.

mook3y
08-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Had to go with Sea World. Since on our upcoming 3rd trip that will be the first time/place outside of WDW that we will visit.

disneynarula
08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I have to agree with the above poster. NASA is really worth the trip. It is really intereseting and unlike anything else you could do.

Universal is cool but mostly thrill rides. I am sort of disapointed that they took out a few of my favorites at US.

LoriMistress
08-23-2007, 04:19 PM
It doesn't hurt to try US at least once to see if your DH would like it. I wouldn't take her to IOA if she's not into thrill rides.

Deesdisney
08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
If your DD is not into thrill rides do not do Universal. I went one day with my family and ended sitting around alot due to the thrill rides. Sea World was great just to look at the fish and dolphins. But next time I will spend the time at the Fort in WDW and other hotels.

Gottaluvgoof
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Universal does have things for kids besides thrill rides. My kids love ET, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek 4D, Men In Black, the whole kid section, forget what it's called and the animal show in US. At IOA, there is Seusville, which is really cute with mild rides. Also, playground in Jurassic park, Ripsaw falls, Spiderman, and other non thrill rides. For your husband and yourself, the Mummy is a very neat ride. Of the choices you gave, US/IOA would be my choice. I was in Sea World in June and was disappointed. Seemed to me they let too many people in the park. The shows were filled to capacity 30 - 45 minutes before they started. I liked Sea World in the past, but the last trip, I did not enjoy myself because it was way over crowded. Honestly, I agree with some of the above, a relaxing day on the beach sounds wonderful.

Polynesian Dweller
08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
If you are going to do a non-Disney day, then Sea World would be the theme park spot. You have to enjoy thrill rides to get your money's worth out of Universal.

You can do a non-theme park day on site however. The mini-golf areas at Disney get lots of family action (and they are not your typical mini-golf), Downtown Disney, and the Boardwalk area, water craft and cycle rentals at the resorts and so on. Many years we do that kind of thing and have a great non-theme park day.:mickey:

snifflesmcg
08-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I voted Universal.

bethanne6245
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks to all for their responses! How far are the beaches from Disney? I do like the idea of the Horseback riding too. Gotta love Intercot...it always helps to have others input!

stpats317
08-23-2007, 08:04 PM
We are going through the same dilemna - Universal or stay at Disney.

Does anyone know if you can rent the watercraft or bikes if you are not staying on property? (We did this once when we stayed at CBR but we're off-property for this visit boo hoo)

AllDisney
08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
The last time we left the magic was 18 years ago.
We are just SO content to stay at WDW that we don't even think about going anywhere else.

We love that while at WDW we are kids "again" and we don't have a care in the world. That, to us, is a vacation:mickey:

JCDarzi
08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
We always plan a non-Disney day in our week long vacations. But we usually stay at the hotel and sleep in and veg at the pools. If we feel like it, we might go into the parks in the evening to catch the parade and fireworks show. Since we have toddlers, this seems to work well for us.

I think a little R & R away from the theme parks makes the parks better. It all seems to run together if you are constantly on the go. I chose Sea World if you do go to a theme park. At least it has a different type of attraction than Disney World.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
My kids love Sea World and we always spend one day there. The Shamu show (I think it is still Believe this year) is worth the visit alone for us. Also, they added a few rides to the kids area that my kids loved last year.

My vote is for Sea World. :thumbsup:

tinksmom02
08-23-2007, 09:15 PM
I voted for Sea World. We spent a day there in January and really enjoyed it, and we didn't even take in any shows LOL We did a behind the scenes tour which was really nice.

But I agree with the other posters, there are ways to have a park-free day without leaving the resort...

bethanne6245
08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I voted for Sea World. We spent a day there in January and really enjoyed it, and we didn't even take in any shows LOL We did a behind the scenes tour which was really nice.

But I agree with the other posters, there are ways to have a park-free day without leaving the resort...

We'll be at Disney the same time and place as you!

GrmGrninGost
08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
When we go to the World, we stay in the World! To us WDW is the best, why go somewhere else? :mickey:

**a_spoonful_of_sugar**
08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
heya, yeh its not a bad idea to get out and about away from disney for a couple of days. its nice to see what else florida has to offer.

it really depends on what sorts of things you and your family are interested in. Seaworld is great, and they have brilliant shows, but you may fancy abit of a change if you've already seen the dolphins in Epcot, or have gone snorkling with sharks at typhoon lagoon. however, if youre really interested in sealife then this is the place to go, they have alot to offer.

most parts of universal are geared to adults, as they have bigger rides and roller coasters that younger kids cant go on. so you may have to research more into universal if you have young children with you. thats not to say that theres nothing for the kids though, theres still plenty to keep them occupied.

other places you could consider are bush gardens, which also has bigger rollercoasters and also animals. or maybe discovery cove, where you can swim with dolphins.
or maybe if youre looking to do something completely different, visiting one of floridas beaches (such as clear water) is a nice idea. this option is good if you need a day or two to chill out before you head back to the parks.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

kdsjjb
08-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I voted for SeaWorld. In your circumstance, I think that SeaWorld is the park you should visit. I think they have more things geared toward the younger kids (since she is not in to thrill rides) and I think that (even though you say she's not crazy about shows) she may well be intrerested in some of the live animal performances.

I know that my youngest (DS 8) at the time, could not sit through Lion King or Tarzan Rocks, but was absolutely enthralled by Shamu, the dolphins, the Sea Lion and seal show, and the inside show with all the rescued animals. He has asked to go back to Sea World for two years now.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you have fun whatever you do.

Momof2boys
08-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks to all for their responses! How far are the beaches from Disney?

Clearwater Beach was a little less than 2 hours from WDW.

MizMissy
08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
We'll be at Disney the same time and place as you!

So are we! (well, same time, but different hotel).
My DH wants to take a day off from the parks, I'm not a fan of the idea because I don't think we'll be there long enough to get everything done that I want to accomplish (esp. since I'm building in a lot of afternoon down time). If we take a day off from the parks, we will probably go to NASA or since my husband really loves boats, he has a few marinas in mind that he wants to go look at boats, have lunch etc. (I might send my DS with him and DD and I spend the day riding more rides!)
Have a great trip!

DNS
08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I went with Sea World because I think she will enjoy it. I'm not much for shows either, but I think Sea World is terrific. You might want to check out their web site.

jwallace378
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd skip both and head over to Kennedy Space Center. That's just me though. I like that sort of thing.

Magic Smiles
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I chose Universal, but only because your one child is not into shows. Sea World is mainly shows - Great shows mind you. Universal does not in my opinion really have thrill rides. IOA has a couple of thrill rides, but Universal again IMHO are mainly stand and watch or experiences, but not what I would call thrill rides. We always go to the parks other than Disney while staying on site in Disney, but then we always go to Universal / IOA, Sea World and Busch Gardens.

GBBT
08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I have to agree with the above poster. NASA is really worth the trip. It is really intereseting and unlike anything else you could do.

Universal is cool but mostly thrill rides. I am sort of disapointed that they took out a few of my favorites at US.

We took a day off last year and went to Kennedy Space Center.It's only an hour away .Our DS(9) had a ball.They now have the shuttle simulator.:D

Goes4FastPass
08-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Sea World is a wonderful park.

...but asking this question of this discussion board is like asking Ronald McDonald if it's OK to have a Whopper now and then.

Must... be... Disney...
Must... be... Disney...

...You just can't get the full magic of the Jungle Cruise until you've ridden it 200 times... with a Dole Whip :cloud9:after every ride...

...Universal....bad...
...Sea World... bad...

Rome...doesn't... have... magic...

Pocahontas
08-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I've never been to Universal Studios, but my DH has and said it didn't hold a candle to any of the Disney parks. Sea World on the other hand, our entire family loves (young and old)! If you've never been to a Sea World I would definitately give it a try.

dumbo ears
08-25-2007, 12:36 PM
well i would say stay in the world but i think its sometimes good to see other parks. i been to both seaworld and universal and I wasn't impresses with seaworld. I actually kinda like universal but its doesn't compare to disney. so if I had to chose Id pick universal

dolphinmickey9170
08-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I would choose SeaWorld as my DH doesn't do thrill rides either. He and I both love the water exhibits and I JUST LOVE the Clyde and Seymore show! It is so funny. I hope you have a great time.

Lizzie
08-25-2007, 03:04 PM
We have done a day at Universal on both of our last trips. We hit Universal and IOA on the same day. We really enjoy it last year we left the kids with the Grandparents. But this year we are going for a shorter amount of time so we aren't going to go. Will probably wait to bring the kids to Universal and Sea World until the kids are older.

jclightchasr
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Stay in the world and go to the Marketplace, ride a sea sprite boat or whatever those little zippy things are called now. Hop from resort to resort touring the properties. If I had two days outside the parks to kill I would drive to a location where I could get in a little scuba diving. I would not go to seaworld or Universal as going there (only for myself) I would almost view as an act of betrayal. However, since I love diving Discovery Cove does sound quite tempting.

Jeff G
08-25-2007, 03:50 PM
I voted Sea World because it is so much more than the shows. Feeding the dolphins and stingrays is an experience you cannot get at WDW. There is a big downside though which is that no matter how much we tried to extend a stay to a day it never ended up being more than a 5-6 hour park.

We used to do Sea World every trip when there were only 3 parks at WDW and they sold tickets as 3/4/5 day hoppers. Now that you can add all seven days for only a few more dollars we can never justify spending $50-60 an adult and $50 a child to go to Sea World.

Our kids are young and we did Universal once. I doubt we'll ever go back just because we didn't like the feel of the park. With kids that aren't teens it has very little to offer as well.

If you can justify the extra cost for a 1/2 day park go with Sea World. I also like the other suggestion of going to Clearwater, we've done that trip and really enjoyed having a quiet day where the kids could run and play and we relaxed. Plus the cost is much less.

MsMin
08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
What time of year are you planning? I wouldn't go to the beach if it were Dec. or Jan. It's a good drive there and back and helps so much to have a restful day. I would prefer to stay around the resorts and even stay @ the pools there or on the beaches there if you are at a lake resort. There is so much to do and see there and it's fun to take a day away from the parks but explore all Disney has to offer.
We are doing that this fall. Just a day to shop and explore.
I do think that SeaWorld is worth seeing though especially for children. We haven't been since 1982. :dolphin: but I'm not ready to go back yet.

CandleontheWater
08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I voted for seaworld, because I think it is really great. Not Disney great, but the best sealife park I'd ever been too. You said your DD doesn't like shows, but if she loves animals, she probably will enjoy some of the shows, like cylde and seamore, Shamu, and possibly blue Horizons. There is one show Odessea, that is cirque du soliel-esque that she probably wouldn't like.

I really, really love animals and I couldn't get enough of Sea World, there is so much to see and do, we were there from the moment the park opened until the park closed and I could have gone back for another day. I loved the penquin exhibit, and the manatees and the dolphins, stingrays, and seals that you could feed. If your daugher loves animals, she'll be in heaven in Sea World.

sheepishlambert
08-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Last January we had a really good day
at Islands of Adventure. A little something
for everyone. Jurassic Park, Dr Seuss,
and everyone loved Spiderman!:blush:

bkfree
08-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I voted for Sea World, we always have a great time there and my kids love it. We usually go to Disney during Value season, so the crowd at Sea World was quite managable,pretty low. In fact, we never waited in line for anything and had great seats at all the show. The shows are great and not to miss.
We also love to do the "Dinner with Shamu" it is a very unique one of a kind experience and the food is great(buffet) style with an adult one and one loaded with kiddie favs.Best Ceaser salad I've ever had. My two were bug eyed and practically speechless at getting to dine with not 1 but 2 Shamu's literally inches away. The private and up close show was very much worth it.We do the early dinner seating.
Mine also love the exhibit where they get to feed fish to the dolphins,also a one of a kind experience.
Our last trip we did not venture off site and my two really missed Sea World Day, so I think we will be adding it back next trip.:)

sportsguy2315
08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Stay! My sister did a certain theme park rhyming with" shurmiversal" in April, and didn't really like it. And as for Sea World, you can get it back it your town. It's called an aquarium. Granted, Shamu rocks my socks, but beyond that and the sea lions, not too much.

Kairi_7378
08-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Florida offers many wonderful things to visitors. I would definitely take an opportunity to visit another park when you're down there if you think you have time. If you need a Disney fix, you can always stop at DTD on the way back to your hotel. I haven't been to Universal but it looks like a lot of fun. I have been to Sea World and enjoyed it very much.

chrisandmattsmom
08-25-2007, 10:58 PM
We were at Disney in October, 2006 and took one day to do Sea World. My kids (ages 4 & 7) LOVED it!! When we watched the Sea Lion show, my 7 year-old's cheeks hurt so much from laughing!!! We thought it was a nice break from Disney. We would definately do Sea World again. There's a lot to see and do there and it wasn't crowded at all in October. We really had a great time!

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2007, 09:38 AM
As much as I love Disney World, there's nothing wrong with a little break in the middle of your vacation. Out of the choices you mentioned, I would definitely choose Sea World, especially if you don't have one of their parks near you. We love the shows (especially Clyde and Seamore, the sea lions) and even if you have to get there a bit early to see them, it's a good way to cool off on a hot day. Plus they do havea couple of thrill rides, Kraken and Journey to Atlantis.

A day at the beach (preferrably in the calmer waters of the Gulf) would also be a good option, as mentioned previously. Very relaxing.

DizneyFreak2002
08-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't spend every day of my vacations at WDW.... Believe it or not, I do travel off property.... If I am going to leave property, it is usually to go to Universal Studios...

DisneyDreams09
08-26-2007, 11:29 AM
I chose Universal,
This is probably due to the fact that I have never yet left the World while I was there, I think universal does have some things to offer, and when we go in 09, they should have Harry Potter done and I LOVE Harry Potter...so I might just have to do that, although I'd rather add an extra day to accomidate that than cut my DW experiance short.

RAIDER
08-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Its good to get a change we always visit as many parks in Florida .... Seaworld as its a family you have would probably be the best choice inmy view followed closely by Island of Adventure :thumbsup:

bkfree
08-27-2007, 11:34 AM
SPORTSGUY2315: There are many of us that do not live near an Acquarium so Sea World is a fun park for us. I f we lived near one that we visited often, then of course Sea World would not be on our list.

If my kids had to choose between Animal Kingdom and Sea World, they would choose Sea World every time and I agree with them. With the exception of the Dinasaur ride, we always have much more enjoyable day and get to do way more stuff at Sea World than we ever have at AK.:thumbsup:

bethanne6245
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I voted for Sea World, we always have a great time there and my kids love it. We usually go to Disney during Value season, so the crowd at Sea World was quite managable,pretty low. In fact, we never waited in line for anything and had great seats at all the show. The shows are great and not to miss.
We also love to do the "Dinner with Shamu" it is a very unique one of a kind experience and the food is great(buffet) style with an adult one and one loaded with kiddie favs.Best Ceaser salad I've ever had. My two were bug eyed and practically speechless at getting to dine with not 1 but 2 Shamu's literally inches away. The private and up close show was very much worth it.We do the early dinner seating.
Mine also love the exhibit where they get to feed fish to the dolphins,also a one of a kind experience.
Our last trip we did not venture off site and my two really missed Sea World Day, so I think we will be adding it back next trip.:)

Can you tell me more about feeding the dophins? Is this extra?

wire0monkey
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Somebody probably said this already but...

What going to Discovery Cove and signing up for a dolphin encounter?

And my family absolutely loves SeaWorld. It's not the shows, it's the opportunity to get up close and personal with the animals. (Dolphin feeding, ray petting area, shark feeding)

wire0monkey
08-27-2007, 02:19 PM
It is extra to buy fish to feed the dolphins ($3 a tray, I think) but not extra to go into the dolphin feeding area. It has a wall that is about 4 feet high and you can reach over the wall to feed the dolphins. They come up to you and take the food out of your hand.

If you go to Discovery Cove, you can swim with a dolphin and the dolphin's trainer.